ESPN 2018 NFL Preview - Bills Ranked 32nd with Super Bowl Chance of 0.1%

26CornerBlitz

16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What has to happen for the Buffalo Bills to make the playoffs

By Matt Parrino | mparrino@nyup.com

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- Do you believe in miracles?

No matter how optimistic Buffalo Bills fans are heading into the 2018 season it's hard to ignore all the experts' doom and gloom when it comes to the Bills' chances of making the playoffs.

ESPN ranked the Bills as the worst team in the NFL in their season preview. They're projecting the Bills will win 6.3 games and give them only a 5.3 percent chance to win the AFC East.

But hey, it's opening week in the NFL. Hopes are high and fans want to be able to think their team is going to be in the hunt for post season football.

So here are eight things the Bills need to happen to make the playoffs this season.

Nathan Peterman must exceed expectations
Captain McCoy needs to lead the way
Defense must generate a pass rush
Brian Daboll's hyped offensive system takes off
Kelvin Benjamin returns to rookie form
Vontae Davis or Phillip Gaines secures No. 2 CB spot
Tremaine Edmunds is the real deal
The daunting early schedule doesn't deflate the team's confidence

I'd be more gloom and doom if there weren't a lot of national media convinced we were tanking last year. That said, this article makes good points about what needs to happen -- the third one may be the biggest key, as if they can generate a pass rush, the defense could be dominant to keep us in games enough even if NP is only slightly exceeding low expectations.

On 9/6/2018 at 6:51 AM, teef said:

Because I remember this poster from the bbmb.  He loves the misery. If the bills are doing well, he’s literally no where to be found. Once the season hits a bump, he’s on here crying from the highest mountain top. Not discussing, just complaining. There’s always a group like that. There’s nothing odd about it. 

Who was he on BBMB?

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who was he on BBMB?

I think his name was JohnnyP. Remember the dude that would predict devastating losses every single game, but would tell us he predicted 8 wins all along?  He’s awesome. 

Too bad one can't make a bet under the following presuppositions:

1) C'mon, the Bills aren't the worst team in the NFL, by a long shot; and

2) They aren't going to win the Super Bowl; and

3) how can we punish the media for these stupid articles.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:53 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

538 Sports Predicts 8-8 for the Bills with a 36% chance of making the playoffs:

2018 NFL Predictions

Honest question: why is it that we put every negative prediction gets a topic on the main page, while this relatively positive prediction from the premier analytics site is tucked into the eleventh page of comments on a thread about a site picking us as the worst team in football? 

10 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Honest question: why is it that we put every negative prediction gets a topic on the main page, while this relatively positive prediction from the premier analytics site is tucked into the eleventh page of comments on a thread about a site picking us as the worst team in football? 

It's who we are living in this climate and area of the universe.

And we wouldn't trade it cause we like it this way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

It's who we are living in this climate and area of the universe.

And we wouldn't trade it cause we like it this way.

I love it when we are defiant. I love it less when we absorb the criticism and become closer to self-loathing :). 

Hopefully Sunday brings back the full defiance!

11 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I love it when we are defiant. I love it less when we absorb the criticism and become closer to self-loathing :). 

Hopefully Sunday brings back the full defiance!

a rich rich man once in my life and i compared our NFL venues for road trips

i had about 100 at Rich/Ralph and dozens in Detroit and Cleveland, the Rust Belt of Misery and earthiness

He flew in to Southern Cal to watch games in San Diego, LA, San Fran and Oakland, and all the nice weather

Still feel sorry for him

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

a rich rich man once in my life and i compared our NFL venues for road trips

i had about 100 at Rich/Ralph and dozens in Detroit and Cleveland, the Rust Belt of Misery and earthiness

He flew in to Southern Cal to watch games in San Diego, LA, Oakland, and all the nice weather

Still feel sorry for him

Funny thing: I've been weirdly sheltered in games I've seen at Rich/Ralph/New Era weather-wise. I've only been to 6 (grew up in nyc and live in jersey now, but did live in buffalo for college, family from WNY), but my only truly awful weather game was also the worst game and only loss I've seen and it was more the rain than the cold (we lost to the Dolphins 37-10 for the first loss of one of the Super Bowl years -- and I had a nasty cold and three papers due early in the week). My first game was 51-3 and it was in the 30s with light snow, but the next day was 11 degrees and brutal -- crossed the street from the Best Western where my aunt and uncle were staying to the Lockport Mall and almost froze into statues along the way. Flew up to watch a game in December against Houston (great game) and it was 63. We were tailgating in t-shirts.

44 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Funny thing: I've been weirdly sheltered in games I've seen at Rich/Ralph/New Era weather-wise. I've only been to 6 (grew up in nyc and live in jersey now, but did live in buffalo for college, family from WNY), but my only truly awful weather game was also the worst game and only loss I've seen and it was more the rain than the cold (we lost to the Dolphins 37-10 for the first loss of one of the Super Bowl years -- and I had a nasty cold and three papers due early in the week). My first game was 51-3 and it was in the 30s with light snow, but the next day was 11 degrees and brutal -- crossed the street from the Best Western where my aunt and uncle were staying to the Lockport Mall and almost froze into statues along the way. Flew up to watch a game in December against Houston (great game) and it was 63. We were tailgating in t-shirts.

Thanks!

It's not football without the risk of 4 kinds of precipitation falling on you during a game after US Thanksgiving.

3 hours ago, Boludo said:

The reason the Bills defense will be so bad statistically is because the Bills offense will 3 and out so much. The defense will just be on the field all the time.

Reading the stats like tea leaves, determining a pattern after the fact, then trying to imitate these findings, doesn’t work in real life

More bad news:  Tannehill is back in Miami, and was more or less the same old Tannehill, kind of the Scottish Tyrod. We'll know a lot more about the Jets this time tomorrow night, but if Darnold looks decent, well, with the Browns looking competitive today, I'd have to say that "worst team in football right now" honor falls to us with no real competition.

Barnwell: Ranking NFL's 0-2 teams from eliminated to (barely) alive

Bill Barnwell ESPN Staff Writer

The NFL season is two weeks old, and a minimum of six organizations are already essentially eliminated from postseason contention. It seems crazy to think that a team could go from dreaming about a deep playoff run to thinking about the 2019 offseason in a matter of 14 days, but history tells us that a team can ruin its season quicker than you might think.

Since the NFL adopted its current divisional format in 2002, just over 11 percent of teams that start the year 0-2 end up making the playoffs. The Saints pulled off the feat last season by turning their defense around. It also helped that their schedule got easier, given that the season started with games against the Vikings and Patriots. After that 0-2 start, the Saints didn't lose again before Thanksgiving, rolling off eight straight wins.

If any of this year's seven 0-2 teams can pull that off, they'll be back in playoff contention, but history tells us that no more than one will play past December.

Let's sort through them in order of their chances of returning to respectability and competing for a postseason berth, and pick one team from the bunch to survive its 0-2 start to make the playoffs. I'm including each team's preseason playoff odds and current playoff odds, according to the ESPN Football Power Index.

Preseason playoff odds: 6.8 percent
Current playoff odds: 0.3 percent

The Bills are in disarray. They trailed by a total of 48 points at halftime across their first two games, the worst mark in 40 years. They've already changed quarterbacks, benching Nathan Peterman for rookie first-round pick Josh Allen. Coach Sean McDermott took away defensive playcalling duties from Leslie Frazier during an eventful halftime last Sunday, with Vontae Davisretiring and heading home before the second half began. LeSean McCoy has cracked rib cartilage and had two first downs on 21 touches before getting injured. That Andy Dalton touchdown pass from Week 17 last year feels like it might as well be a decade ago.

This shouldn't be a surprise. Last year's Bills team was supposed to be the first season in a rebuild, but a team with 6.4 Pythagorean wins pulled out four wins in six games down the stretch to go 9-7 and sneak into the postseason. This season shouldn't be much better. After trading away several bloated contracts and enduring the retirements of players such as Richie Incognito and Eric Wood, general manager Brandon Beane is eating $53.9 million in dead money this year, which is one of the largest single-season figures in league history. The Bills are nearly paying as much in dead money to ghosts as they are to their entire offense ($57.0 million). They'll hit 2019 with $90 million in cap space before letting anyone else leave.