ESPN 2018 NFL Preview - Bills Ranked 32nd with Super Bowl Chance of 0.1%

26CornerBlitz

On 9/4/2018 at 6:21 PM, Virgil said:

I just don't get this, I really don't.  Are the Jets and Dolphins really that much better than us?  They have very similar schedules and I just don't see where they made huge offseason upgrades.  I'd argue the Dolphins could be worse now. 

Last season I wondered how bad Derek Carr's back affected him, but if that was a step back, I could see Oakland being a trainwreck.  

Either way, I don't mind being overlooked, but I just can't see us as the worst team in the league.

and don't forget Cleveland....they lost 16 games!

No surprises here except that the defense was ranked higher than the offense. We had little talent last year and made the most of it. With a sieve as an OL, I think this offense will be last or very near last in scoring. Feel free to flame me after they prove me wrong and I promise I won't mind at all. Somehow, Frazier will get them to overperform on D.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

No surprises here except that the defense was ranked higher than the offense. We had little talent last year and made the most of it. With a sieve as an OL, I think this offense will be last or very near last in scoring. Feel free to flame me after they prove me wrong and I promise I won't mind at all. Somehow, Frazier will get them to overperform on D.

at least the Bills can't get relegated to the CFL or Arena League if they finish 32nd

Why are people surprised by their rankings? They have regressed from last year's mediocre team, they only bright spots are secondary and RB, provided Shady stays healthy. They looked really bad this pre season and they do have the worst offensive positions in the league for the most part. Not sure where Beane and McD were trying to accomplish this off season, you're supposed to build on a playoff team not replace it with spare parts. This season ahs 4-12 written all over it 

• Like (+1) 1

This offense will likely be 32nd by a mile. They were 29th last year with Incognito/Wood, and even though I have some hope about Peterman/Allen, you know both will throw a lot more INTs than Tyrod, so we aren't going to win games by simply making fewer mistakes than the other team like last year. The Jets offense is probably the next worse as far as weapons/o-line, but I have much more confidence in Darnold than in Peterman/Allen. Sorry.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24578139/2018-bill-barnwell-nfl-preview-how-all-32-teams-get-super-bowl-liii

An excerpt:

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

31. Buffalo Bills

Projected Super Bowl odds: 0.1 percent

"Another team with a new quarterback. The Bills traded Tyrod Taylor and already both acquired and traded AJ McCarron, leaving them with just Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen on the roster. The most plausible scenario for a return to the playoffs is that the Bills get an effective running game while Allen steps in and harnesses his elite physical traits as a deep passer on play-action. The ideal offense here is probably something like the 2008 Ravens, who had Joe Flacco throw the ball only 26.8 times per game."

At least our odds aren't "less than 0.1 percent" like the Browns ;)

And even though I think a lot of fans got too carried away early on with their projections & expectations for Josh Allen, getting back to the playoffs, W/L records, etc., it seems most have come back down to earth a bit & recognize this is definitely a rebuilding year. Playoffs are far-fetched enough, forget Super Bowl...and that's ok! I'd rather have an abysmal season & kick off the next decade with a fantastic franchise QB (hopefully) than to tread water in mediocrity for a few more years , never good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to grab the best talent in the draft.

I can’t wait for the media to eat crow.  As bad as the team played this preseason and as many players the team has lost, everything has been totally overblown.  

Preseason - this whole preseason was a tryout for numerous key positions (QB, interior line, etc).  Often times the starting players didn’t play (or played minimally) due to injury or just to be generally withheld to allow McDermott to properly assess the remaining players (McCoy, Murphy, Williams, Dawkins, etc).  There were some whiffs by our defense and offensive line, but remember our defense is bend but don’t break (which for the most part did) and the O-Line, once given continuity will gel and improve.  

Comparing to 9-7 team last year, post preseason my rundown is as follows

QB - wash - McDermott pulled Taylor last year for a reason, I think Peterman is going to surprise everyone.  If he doesn’t Allen comes in. 

RB - wash - I think the Backups improved, but McCoy remains the same

WR - improved - Nothing really done here, but Jones is a year older and Benjamin is healthy

TE - wash - Clay remains, backups improved

OL - downgrade - not going to be as bad as billed, 3/5 of starters returned and now that the line is set, look for them to gel, plus with Peterman at QB, the quick delivery should mask the issues

Coaching - massive upgrade - Dabol is colossally better then Dennison.  This fact will overwhelm all of the other issues

Defensively - I think we are generally a wash.  Coaching is the same. Front 7, a few key changes, not of which are downgrades (temporarily Preston Brown may be better than Edwards, but that won’t last).  Secondary again generally the same (we still have a weak CB2 insert Davis for Gaines). 

All and all, the team will be at worst as good as last year.  I think we will jump in the rankings after we upset a lot of suicide pools in week 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

I can’t wait for the media to eat crow.  As bad as the team played this preseason and as many players the team has lost, everything has been totally overblown.  

Preseason - this whole preseason was a tryout for numerous key positions (QB, interior line, etc).  Often times the starting players didn’t play (or played minimally) due to injury or just to be generally withheld to allow McDermott to properly assess the remaining players (McCoy, Murphy, Williams, Dawkins, etc).  There were some whiffs by our defense and offensive line, but remember our defense is bend but don’t break (which for the most part did) and the O-Line, once given continuity will gel and improve.  

Comparing to 9-7 team last year, post preseason my rundown is as follows

QB - wash - McDermott pulled Taylor last year for a reason, I think Peterman is going to surprise everyone.  If he doesn’t Allen comes in. 

RB - wash - I think the Backups improved, but McCoy remains the same

WR - improved - Nothing really done here, but Jones is a year older and Benjamin is healthy

TE - wash - Clay remains, backups improved

OL - downgrade - not going to be as bad as billed, 3/5 of starters returned and now that the line is set, look for them to gel, plus with Peterman at QB, the quick delivery should mask the issues

Coaching - massive upgrade - Dabol is colossally better then Dennison.  This fact will overwhelm all of the other issues

Defensively - I think we are generally a wash.  Coaching is the same. Front 7, a few key changes, not of which are downgrades (temporarily Preston Brown may be better than Edwards, but that won’t last).  Secondary again generally the same (we still have a weak CB2 insert Davis for Gaines). 

All and all, the team will be at worst as good as last year.  I think we will jump in the rankings after we upset a lot of suicide pools in week 1. 

I’d be happy to book that for you if you are interested? O/u 8.5 wins

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to ESPN 2018 NFL Preview - Bills Ranked 32nd with Super Bowl Chance of 0.1%

Because I remember this poster from the bbmb.  He loves the misery. If the bills are doing well, he’s literally no where to be found. Once the season hits a bump, he’s on here crying from the highest mountain top. Not discussing, just complaining. There’s always a group like that. There’s nothing odd about it. 

Edited by teef

What I noticed when running thru this ‘article’ is that first, almost exactly HALF the league has less than a 1% chance of getting to the Super Bowl? Where’d all that parity go? And....at least the Bills are in good company, with a ton of other teams.  

Second thing I noticed is the AFC East has three teams in the bottom half dozen. One of those teams must be playing an easy schedule with four cake walks built in. They just don’t know it yet.

What has to happen for the Buffalo Bills to make the playoffs

By Matt Parrino | mparrino@nyup.com

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- Do you believe in miracles?

No matter how optimistic Buffalo Bills fans are heading into the 2018 season it's hard to ignore all the experts' doom and gloom when it comes to the Bills' chances of making the playoffs.

ESPN ranked the Bills as the worst team in the NFL in their season preview. They're projecting the Bills will win 6.3 games and give them only a 5.3 percent chance to win the AFC East.

But hey, it's opening week in the NFL. Hopes are high and fans want to be able to think their team is going to be in the hunt for post season football.

So here are eight things the Bills need to happen to make the playoffs this season.

Nathan Peterman must exceed expectations
Captain McCoy needs to lead the way
Defense must generate a pass rush
Brian Daboll's hyped offensive system takes off
Kelvin Benjamin returns to rookie form
Vontae Davis or Phillip Gaines secures No. 2 CB spot
Tremaine Edmunds is the real deal
The daunting early schedule doesn't deflate the team's confidence