ESPN 2018 NFL Preview - Bills Ranked 32nd with Super Bowl Chance of 0.1%

26CornerBlitz

I just don't get this, I really don't.  Are the Jets and Dolphins really that much better than us?  They have very similar schedules and I just don't see where they made huge offseason upgrades.  I'd argue the Dolphins could be worse now. 

Last season I wondered how bad Derek Carr's back affected him, but if that was a step back, I could see Oakland being a trainwreck.  

Either way, I don't mind being overlooked, but I just can't see us as the worst team in the league.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I just don't get this, I really don't.  Are the Jets and Dolphins really that much better than us?  They have very similar schedules and I just don't see where they made huge offseason upgrades.  I'd argue the Dolphins could be worse now. 

Last season I wondered how bad Derek Carr's back affected him, but if that was a step back, I could see Oakland being a trainwreck.  

Either way, I don't mind being overlooked, but I just can't see us as the worst team in the league.

I expect the offense to struggle, but the defense being last doesn't add up. 

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It's this weird national hysteria that seems to happen every year where the national prognosticators seem to grab hold of the Bills as the worst team in football and play a bizarre game of who-can-top-this-&*(_ to say how awful this team will be. And we never are, but that doesn't stop them. 

This one baffles me though. Our defense was one of the top defenses save for that three game stretch. Is the loss of Preston Brown that serious?

I'll contend that this defense will likely be one of the better in this league (although it might be obscured by being on the field a lot)

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Keukasmallies said:

I'm much more concerned about the final ranking in January, 2019 rather than a ranking developed before the season begins.  My hope is that there is a great distance between the two.

True. Lazy journalisming annoys me though, and the fact that it happens almost every year and yet they keep on doing it is tiresome. They're ESPN for crying out loud -- they're supposed to be the gold standard (key word: supposed).

• Like (+1) 3

Not sure we're the worst, but we're probably bottom 5.

We're worse at QB, have a much worse offensive line and are going to struggle to score 18 points per game this year (last year we barely reached that mark). 

The defense didn't look good in preseason, and the free agents we added to the defensive line don't look to be any good or they can't stay healthy. 

I think the offense is going to be horrible, and the defense will probably be bottom 10 as a result of the offense not being able to sustain drives. We're likely looking at a top 5 pick next year. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Not sure we're the worst, but we're probably bottom 5.

We're worse at QB, have a much worse offensive line and are going to struggle to score 18 points per game this year (last year we barely reached that mark). 

The defense didn't look good in preseason, and the free agents we added to the defensive line don't look to be any good or they can't stay healthy. 

I think the offense is going to be horrible, and the defense will probably be bottom 10 as a result of the offense not being able to sustain drives. We're likely looking at a top 5 pick next year. 

Maybe, but most people said the same thing last year. Also, pre-season is decidedly not regular season, just ask the world champion 2008 Detroit Lions and 2018 Cleveland Browns.

I just don't see this as the terrible team many people here and around the country do. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Maybe, but most people said the same thing last year. Also, pre-season is decidedly not regular season, just ask the world champion 2008 Detroit Lions and 2018 Cleveland Browns.

I just don't see this as the terrible team many people here and around the country do. 

We have one of the worst QB situations in the league this year (probably bottom 5 in QB rating when it's all said and done), arguably the worst group of receivers, arguably the worst offensive line, and a defense that doesn't appear to be able to rush the passer or stop the run. 

We're good at RB and in the secondary, but I don't think that's enough. 

Games are won and lost in the trenches and at QB, and we're bad in all of those areas. 

The Bills were 29th in yards and 22nd in points last year. If those numbers go down (which they should with two QBs who have cumulatively started zero games) then this team is in serious trouble when it comes to wins and losses. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Peterman

Bad oline

Gaines gone/Davis looks old

Is anyone currently sold on Murphy or Star having an impact?

Panties Brown is gone, the new play caller is 20 years old and looks raw.

Shady is another year older fresh off his 3.9 YPC?

It could go sideways really soon, hoping Nate/Allen can save us and the rest of the pieces fall in place. 

20 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Peterman and Allen are your QB's, and if that doesn't work out we have Paxton Lynch! That right there tells you all you need to know, not sure why this is so difficult?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, AllenWillBust said:

Peterman and Allen are your QB's, and if that doesn't work out we have Paxton Lynch! That right there tells you all you need to know, not sure why this is so difficult?

There's always a toaster in the tub man. At least give the rest of us some hope.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, jrober38 said:

We have one of the worst QB situations in the league this year (probably bottom 5 in QB rating when it's all said and done), arguably the worst group of receivers, arguably the worst offensive line, and a defense that doesn't appear to be able to rush the passer or stop the run. 

We're good at RB and in the secondary, but I don't think that's enough. 

Games are won and lost in the trenches and at QB, and we're bad in all of those areas. 

The Bills were 29th in yards and 22nd in points last year. If those numbers go down (which they should with two QBs who have cumulatively started zero games) then this team is in serious trouble when it comes to wins and losses. 

See, I don't agree that we are bad in the trenches on both sides just b/c of pre-season, and even then we stopped the run in two of the three games which were not all backups. Let's let the games play, but calling a defense with Hyde, White, Poyer, Edmunds, Williams, and Hughes the worst in the league b/c of pre-season games seems a huge stretch.

Just now, thurst44 said:

See, I don't agree that we are bad in the trenches on both sides just b/c of pre-season, and even then we stopped the run in two of the three games which were not all backups. Let's let the games play, but calling a defense with Hyde, White, Poyer, Edmunds, Williams, and Hughes the worst in the league b/c of pre-season games seems a huge stretch.

Our offensive line is going to be terrible. We got much worse up front without Wood and Incognito on the field. 

I never said the defense would be the worst. I just don't think it will be very good. Our DL can't generate pressure, and we can't stop the run. Until they show they can do those things I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

This is a bad football team that got worse in a lot of areas vs last season, with very few (if any) upgrades. 

• Like (+1) 1

Offense likely to be the issue. FO under-drafted and under-spent on the OL, which we'll see how that works out. WR is weak. Shady is older. So you can see questions on that side of the ball, and rightly so. 

The D I don't see as being that bad. Davis is a weak link apparently but I suspect the D is better and gets better as the season progresses. There's one caveat.... Murphy and Williams don't miss tons of snaps. I just think the national media is clueless on the D but rightly picking on the O.

I don’t think that the defense will be the worst. The offense might be. With that being said I have no issue with the projection. 6.3 games feels VERY fair to me. This might be the worst team in the league. If Allen can play though it won’t matter because the Bills won’t be down there for long.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Peterman

Bad oline

Gaines gone/Davis looks old

Is anyone currently sold on Murphy or Star having an impact?

Panties Brown is gone, the new play caller is 20 years old and looks raw.

Shady is another year older fresh off his 3.9 YPC?

It could go sideways really soon, hoping Nate/Allen can save us and the rest of the pieces fall in place. 

Edmunds' instinct has actually improved every pre-season game -- and that's one of the few things that actually matter in the pre-season games. You're both insulting Preston Brown and calling him a big loss at the same time?!?! 

I'm not "sold" on Murphy or Star having an impact, but I'm not going to dismiss them before a single game that matters is played. It's actually a logical plan (get a big guy so the QB can't step up and take a chance on a rising pass rusher), but we haven't seen it truly work yet. But we also haven't seen them play a real game yet.

Gaines was a role-player. I'll hold off on calling Davis old until the season starts.

The offense could be brutal, but the defense the worst in the league just seems ridiculous.