Less concerned with O-line than most...

Hebert19

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

I agree the most on point three.  It was obvious the amount of chipping from the TEs and RBs the first game and (to me at least)  barely noticeable the rest of premier season.  I thought it was odd.

Tough to evaluate when they are getting help all the time.  So he left them on islands rest of preseason.  But in week 1 it worked. 

23 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Interesting recall you have - my recollection is that the whole line was pretty good for a few years and nose-dived with Castillo taking over last season.

No.....nobody was saying the line was "pretty good" under Marrone.      

The Bills have had a handful of effective OL's in the past 20 years.........the only time they had 2 straight *effective* seasons was under Roman and Lynn.

If you recall differently I'd say you are a bit cloudy.

But perception is reality..........I remember fans screaming at Marrone for running the ball up the middle over and over and dogging CJ Spiller for a meager 4.6 ypc.    Last season, Shady ran for 3.9 ypc and was hailed for it.

34 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Fair enough about the preseason games.  It is along with camp a fairly good place to evaluate talent (especially depth).

I won't go into why many of us feel the OL will be a big negative to the team as it has been talked to death.

I'm hoping for a small miracle and the unit is "serviceable".

Well let's hope Daboll learned a thing or 2 in NE and installed a scheme that makes them seem serviceable, week 1 will definitely be a great test

1 hour ago, KW95 said:

6 times last year!

well, let's see what this year brings. seems like last year teams didn't really respect the passing game much, and were loading up to stop shady. if there is any semblance of a downfield passing attack, maybe he will have a few more opportunities. he can also be quite effective out of the backfield as well. and let's hope that ivory and murphy are maybe a bit more effective than tolbert was last year.

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Well let's hope Daboll learned a thing or 2 in NE and installed a scheme that makes them seem serviceable, week 1 will definitely be a great test

I wish we had an OL coach like NE has had for the last 20 years.

Dante Scarnecchia is the man.

2 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

well, let's see what this year brings. seems like last year teams didn't really respect the passing game much, and were loading up to stop shady. if there is any semblance of a downfield passing attack, maybe he will have a few more opportunities. he can also be quite effective out of the backfield as well. and let's hope that ivory and murphy are maybe a bit more effective than tolbert was last year.

If Nate the Great is the QB, there is no respecting the deep ball again this year!

8 minutes ago, KW95 said:

If Nate the Great is the QB, there is no respecting the deep ball again this year!

It's not his deep balls that worry me - it's his not-so-quick outs that all seem like pick-6's waiting to happen. 

Despite his very good numbers this preseason, it was distressing to me that he's still throwing those in situations where a good CB who's been game planning WILL pick them off.

That's the real beauty of Allen too - he throws passes that CBs think they can reach out and grab until they whiff and get nothing but the contrail behind his 70 mph fast balls.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KW95 said:

maybe not, but with a bit of creativity the quick, short passing game could keep defenses on their heels. tom brady has carved up many a defense by executing that to perfection. (and no, i am not in any way comparing peterman to brady)

1 minute ago, swnybillsfan said:

maybe not, but with a bit of creativity the quick, short passing game could keep defenses on their heels. tom brady has carved up many a defense by executing that to perfection. (and no, i am not in any way comparing peterman to brady)

Valid point.  Rich Gannon was also the king of dink and dunk.

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Why?  

1.  Daboll - even watch his offensive system.  Quick hits, uses the backs and screens to slow rush etc.  Peterman is a good QB for his system because he gets rid of the ball quickly. 

2.  Shady - hes the best friend of an o-line.  In preseason no one was respecting the run (and Murphy made them pay a few times). No one was respecting the cutback.  No one respecting the outside runs etc.  When shady is in the game you can't just rush up the field like they were in the preseason...shady will take one to the house if you do.  

3.  4 TEs - I expect a lot of chipping from the tight ends like we saw in the first game of preseason.  We have 4 solid TEs all of which cam block...so expect a lot of help from the TEs in pass protection.  Chip and release for 5 yards a lot.  

Preseason is just that.  The pre season.   I dont think they will be near as bad week 1.   Their a run blocking unit and daboll will call an offense that supports that.  

I tend to agree, but pass protection remains a concern. 

Just now, KW95 said:

Valid point.  Rich Gannon was also the king of dink and dunk.

and that can work for a while, but eventually you will have to throw the ball down the field or else everything else will eventually be nullified. this is why we have to hope that allen can put it all together. if he does, then the ol will look better, rb's will break off some bigger runs, and the receivers will all look much better than they are. again...see tom brady. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Chargers game - 27 yard run for TD.  20+ yard runs are more ran than 40+ yard completions

But as the other poster said perfectly, he doesn't have elite speed, but he has elite quickness and vision.

He had a 75 yd TD in 2016, I believe against Miami.  Shady gets loose he doesn't normally get caught from behind.

This is going to be an interesting season.  I'm trying to think of an Oline that looks worse than the Bills but I can't think of one.  Yet Daboll might have the magic to make them look better than they are like Gailey did.  I suspect they are better at run blocking than pass blocking because individual matches can be exploited and obvious passing downs could be really bad.  Plus the WR talent won't help them out.  May need to throw to the RBs and TEs a ton.  It will be very interesting to see what happens!

18 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Why?  

1.  Daboll - even watch his offensive system.  Quick hits, uses the backs and screens to slow rush etc.  Peterman is a good QB for his system because he gets rid of the ball quickly. 

2.  Shady - hes the best friend of an o-line.  In preseason no one was respecting the run (and Murphy made them pay a few times). No one was respecting the cutback.  No one respecting the outside runs etc.  When shady is in the game you can't just rush up the field like they were in the preseason...shady will take one to the house if you do.  

3.  4 TEs - I expect a lot of chipping from the tight ends like we saw in the first game of preseason.  We have 4 solid TEs all of which cam block...so expect a lot of help from the TEs in pass protection.  Chip and release for 5 yards a lot.  

Preseason is just that.  The pre season.   I dont think they will be near as bad week 1.   Their a run blocking unit and daboll will call an offense that supports that.  

We'll see if you're not so worried after the Chargers come to town in the third game of the season ...

Something of note here....TWO Bills O-lineman were claimed on waivers.  I don't what that says about the Bills line...maybe it's better than anyone thinks...maybe they can't evaluate line talent and cut some guys they shouldn't have?  ....I don't know....just saying for a team that had O line problems in the preseason, having TWO of your cut O lineman get claimed is a mystery.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/2/2018 at 12:56 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

After a couple years of Roman/Lynn we should know that the OL can be greatly schemed around............Wood was a steaming pile of **** at center for two solid years before Roman arrived and Miller and Mills have actually IMPROVED since 2015......so THAT is how bad they were back then.........and yet that 2016 offense was the best we've seen in Buffalo since 1992.  

And more specifically with Daboll his rep as an OC coach is based on his long run with the Patriots and they've made a living building OL's around very replaceable players.

Daboll and Jesus Christillo need to prove they can do it........but it CAN be done.

He was pretty good last year, but he had elite talent.

On 9/3/2018 at 7:10 AM, SoTier said:

We'll see if you're not so worried after the Chargers come to town in the third game of the season ...

i was thinking the chargers game was the 2nd game and at home, but maybe you get news a day late in the so tier.  i think the doom and gloom is..hopefully, overrated...like tsuggs going into his 16th year and yanda could probably be on the downhill side too.

quick hits and the running backs out in the flats is the way to go. once we start moving the chains, maybe dimarco with some lead blocking can clear the way for the running game in the 2nd half. take em by surprise early and get the lead.

smell the blood and shutem down. joe flacco won't last the entire game. hughes and murphy will deliver the high/low......

On 9/2/2018 at 12:49 PM, KW95 said:

Serious question:  when has Lesean " taken one to the house"? 

Isn't he in trouble for that right now with the law?

On 9/2/2018 at 2:19 PM, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely. I'm just so tired of hearing about the worse OL in the league with a scrimmage as their evidence. If it happens at Baltimore , that's something to talk about. Just tired of hearing about a scrimmage

I'm tired of people saying "it is just preseason".

Since our oline was not solidified, EVERY guy on that squad (save for maybe dawkins) was playing for the starting job, or at the very least, a roster spot.

These were guys who's jobs were on the line to perform, and they didn't, and the only reason they still have jobs is that they sucked less than the guy behind them.

They still sucked.

On 9/2/2018 at 2:26 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Fair enough about the preseason games.  It is along with camp a fairly good place to evaluate talent (especially depth).

I won't go into why many of us feel the OL will be a big negative to the team as it has been talked to death.

I'm hoping for a small miracle and the unit is "serviceable".

That would be a large miracle if they were 'serviceable"

On 9/3/2018 at 7:38 AM, Zerovotlz said:

Something of note here....TWO Bills O-lineman were claimed on waivers.  I don't what that says about the Bills line...maybe it's better than anyone thinks...maybe they can't evaluate line talent and cut some guys they shouldn't have?  ....I don't know....just saying for a team that had O line problems in the preseason, having TWO of your cut O lineman get claimed is a mystery.

Do you know which 2 got picked up?

Ravens had a strong defensive unit last year.  They have a big defensive line and they have been looking very good in the preseason games.

I think our OL is going to have huge problems tomorrow, but I hope they surprise us and have a good game.

I predicted 5 sacks.  We'll see how it plays out.