Less concerned with O-line than most...

Hebert19

Why?  

1.  Daboll - even watch his offensive system.  Quick hits, uses the backs and screens to slow rush etc.  Peterman is a good QB for his system because he gets rid of the ball quickly. 

2.  Shady - hes the best friend of an o-line.  In preseason no one was respecting the run (and Murphy made them pay a few times). No one was respecting the cutback.  No one respecting the outside runs etc.  When shady is in the game you can't just rush up the field like they were in the preseason...shady will take one to the house if you do.  

3.  4 TEs - I expect a lot of chipping from the tight ends like we saw in the first game of preseason.  We have 4 solid TEs all of which cam block...so expect a lot of help from the TEs in pass protection.  Chip and release for 5 yards a lot.  

Preseason is just that.  The pre season.   I dont think they will be near as bad week 1.   Their a run blocking unit and daboll will call an offense that supports that.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Why?  

1.  Daboll - even watch his offensive system.  Quick hits, uses the backs and screens to slow rush etc.  Peterman is a good QB for his system because he gets rid of the ball quickly. 

My only problem with this is where the ball goes ?

• Haha (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Serious question:  when has Lesean " taken one to the house"? 

i can't recall him running in from 85 yards out, but it seems like he can definitely break off a 30-40 yrd run. his speed is good, but not great. but his cutting and quickness are still elite (at least they were last year) and his field vision and awareness are also terrific. if the house is under 40 yards away, i think he is absolutely a legitimate threat.

After a couple years of Roman/Lynn we should know that the OL can be greatly schemed around............Wood was a steaming pile of **** at center for two solid years before Roman arrived and Miller and Mills have actually IMPROVED since 2015......so THAT is how bad they were back then.........and yet that 2016 offense was the best we've seen in Buffalo since 1992.  

And more specifically with Daboll his rep as an OC coach is based on his long run with the Patriots and they've made a living building OL's around very replaceable players.

Daboll and Jesus Christillo need to prove they can do it........but it CAN be done.

Just now, swnybillsfan said:

i can't recall him running in from 85 yards out, but it seems like he can definitely break off a 30-40 yrd run. his speed is good, but not great. but his cutting and quickness are still elite (at least they were last year) and his field vision and awareness are also terrific. if the house is under 40 yards away, i think he is absolutely a legitimate threat.

Ok!  Agree with that one.  but nothing more than 40 yards in my opinion.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Colts game last year in OT

When I was writing that was the only one I remembered.  Everyone tired, cold, so much snow on the ground...Not sure I would consider that one a big run.

16 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Why?  

2.  Shady - hes the best friend of an o-line.  In preseason no one was respecting the run (and Murphy made them pay a few times). No one was respecting the cutback.  No one respecting the outside runs etc.  When shady is in the game you can't just rush up the field like they were in the preseason...shady will take one to the house if you do.  

3.  4 TEs - I expect a lot of chipping from the tight ends like we saw in the first game of preseason.  We have 4 solid TEs all of which cam block...so expect a lot of help from the TEs in pass protection.  Chip and release for 5 yards a lot.  

Preseason is just that.  The pre season.   I dont think they will be near as bad week 1.   Their a run blocking unit and daboll will call an offense that supports that.  

Some good point.  Scheme can overcome some of the lack of talent as long as the players can execute it but at some point the opposing defense puts out a counter scheme to stop your scheme and it works and the entire league sees it.   

When we shall see how they do but when I see an OL with Mills as one of the more solid players on it I do have cause to be concerned.  

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

After a couple years of Roman/Lynn we should know that the OL can be greatly schemed around............Wood was a steaming pile of **** at center for two solid years before Roman arrived and Miller and Mills have actually IMPROVED since 2015......so THAT is how bad they were back then.........and yet that 2016 offense was the best we've seen in Buffalo since 1992.  

And more specifically with Daboll his rep as an OC coach is based on his long run with the Patriots and they've made a living building OL's around very replaceable players.

Daboll and Jesus Christillo need to prove they can do it........but it CAN be done.

Wood was never that.  How has Miller improved?  

8 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Ok!  Agree with that one.  but nothing more than 40 yards in my opinion.

When I was writing that was the only one I remembered.  Everyone tired, cold, so much snow on the ground...Not sure I would consider that one a big run.

So now we're going to put qualifiers on game winning runs?

41 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

4 TEs - I expect a lot of chipping from the tight ends like we saw in the first game of preseason.  We have 4 solid TEs all of which cam block...so expect a lot of help from the TEs in pass protection.  Chip and release for 5 yards

Perhaps they should all play at once.

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Why?  

I'm in your camp. They are a good run-blocking unit, but below average in pass-blocking.  I think the scheme will be used to maximize their strength.  I agree on Peterman too, though I do worry about those outs...

55 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I agree the most on point three.  It was obvious the amount of chipping from the TEs and RBs the first game and (to me at least)  barely noticeable the rest of premier season.  I thought it was odd.

Daboll can certainly do things that help the OL. He can go max protect and limit the number of receivers in the play. He can go five wide, shotgun, and throw more bubble screens and short passes.  He can call some run/pass option plays. 

But there is little he can do when facing 3rd and 7+ and from LG to RT none of them can pass block.  Those four may be adequate in the run game but they are easily the four worst pass blocking starting linemen in the league.  And without RI next to Dawkins who knows how he will do.  He was owned by Miles Garrett in preseason and that was a straight 1:1 matchup and he played terribly.  Now Garrett may be a top 5 DE this year but still have to worry about even Dawkins mathcing up against elite competition.

50 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

WHY ARENT YOU PANICKING 

People are able to point out the horrid OL without "panicking."

And, even if the Bills are able to mask the OL worthlessness, their worthlessness will eventually be figured out and exploited. It'll be short lived, whatever it is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Why?  

I've been saying this , ppl are panicking because we got manhandled by a top 3, stud  DT in his prime and 3 very good DL surrounding him, in a SCRIMMAGE ! Where it was obvious McD was using this scrimmage to evaluate the OL , rotating guys in between series and didn't scheme for one of the best fronts in the game. 

Am I concerned a little? Sure. But it's more about the uncertainty how they play as a unit, not because of a scrimmage and like you said , Dabol will scheme around it , and one of the best playmakers in football will make a huge difference come next Sunday. 

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I've been saying this , ppl are panicking because we got manhandled by a top 3, stud  DT in his prime and 3 very good DL surrounding him, in a SCRIMMAGE ! Where it was obvious McD was using this scrimmage to evaluate the OL , rotating guys in between series and didn't scheme for one of the best fronts in the game. 

Am I concerned a little? Sure. But it's more about the uncertainty how they play as a unit, not because of a scrimmage and like you said , Dabol will scheme around it , and one of the best playmakers in football will make a huge difference come next Sunday. 

Ravens D had 21 sacks in preseason.  I think they can counter with their talent and coaching too.

I hope the OL can improve but I have my doubts.

Sunday will be test.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Ravens D had 21 sacks in preseason.  I think they can counter with their talent and coaching too.

I hope the OL can improve but I have my doubts.

Sunday will be test.

Absolutely. I'm just so tired of hearing about the worse OL in the league with a scrimmage as their evidence. If it happens at Baltimore , that's something to talk about. Just tired of hearing about a scrimmage

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Interesting recall you have - my recollection is that the whole line was pretty good for a few years and nose-dived with Castillo taking over last season.

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely. I'm just so tired of hearing about the worse OL in the league with a scrimmage as their evidence. If it happens at Baltimore , that's something to talk about. Just tired of hearing about a scrimmage

Fair enough about the preseason games.  It is along with camp a fairly good place to evaluate talent (especially depth).

I won't go into why many of us feel the OL will be a big negative to the team as it has been talked to death.

I'm hoping for a small miracle and the unit is "serviceable".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Wood was never that.  How has Miller improved?  

Wood was AWFUL under Marrone and Hackett.  

Even he thought he was going to get released after the 2014 season.

Hackett and Marrone wanted their OL to plow straight ahead and Wood was getting bitchslapped by bigger, stronger DT's and he was on skates in short yardage.

Roman actually showed the same type of vanilla scheme in preseason of 2015 and Wood and Incognito were atrocious turnstiles in pass pro that preseason.

But in the regular season Roman put his OL in motion and his run blocking attack was all about angles.    Instead of trying to uproot DL they were blocking shoulders and getting into their blocks in motion pulling and trapping.   It was a tremendous help to an offensive line that really was not good mano-a-mano. 

Is Bodine really going to start over Groy?

Also, I can't believe we're going into the season with Ducasse starting at LG. If Teller isn't ready then surely there's a recently released guard out there capable of taking that job. Maybe trading away all our top picks for a QB who doesn't know how to play QB and a mike LB who probably needs to be a will LB wasn't the smartest move after all. It's not like they didn't know OL was a huge concern going into the draft. I feel like there's an appropriate level of concern right now.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1