Report: Martavious Bryant released

Alphadawg7

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You are calling out a guy whose 16 game numbers are 1100 yards and 9 TDs. You clearly googled “Martavis Bryant stats” and thought you were bringing something to the table. Try again Big Guy!!

Are those projections or are they what he had?

Because they’re two different things.

Answer the question hot shot.

I mean, this is easy stuff.

Hold on.

Hahaha

Edited by Jay_Fixit

4 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This post projects to be hilarious over 16 games.

Projections.

LOL

I know you’re just snarkily trying to prove a fun point, but you do really think this post will still be funny 16 games from now, right? 

Right?!

Edited by Bobby Hooks

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I know you’re just snarkily trying to prove a fun point, but you do really think this post will still be funny 16 games from now, right? 

Right?!

I just want projection guy to post again so I can laugh at his projections.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

It's MARTAVIS. I will never comprehend why people add the "ou" before the S. It's like Tasker constantly saying Peterson instead of Peterman, ostensibly because Peterson is more common? I don't get it. It's not that hard.

What happened to the good old days when people with weird names got a nickname ?

How about "Marty"..............................what's wrong with that ?

• Haha (+1) 1

.My favorite part of this post is someone giving Bryant credit for projected games he never played and then giving someone else crap for quoting his actual real life stats.

I would love to try that at my job.  "Granted I didn't show up half the year but given my high performance the first half of the year you have to assume every other day I would have shown up but didnt, would have been exactly the same regardless of circumstances"

You get credit for the things you do, not the things someone thinks you will do.

The guy is a tall wideout who ran the 9 route well for a bit of success.  He is also 27 years old, never played a full NFL season and appears to like weed more than football.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

It's MARTAVIS. I will never comprehend why people add the "ou" before the S. It's like Tasker constantly saying Peterson instead of Peterman, ostensibly because Peterson is more common? I don't get it. It's not that hard.

Don't blame us if this kid can't even spell his own name right...

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

.My favorite part of this post is someone giving Bryant credit for projected games he never played and then giving someone else crap for quoting his actual real life stats.

I would love to try that at my job.  "Granted I didn't show up half the year but given my high performance the first half of the year you have to assume every other day I would have shown up but didnt, would have been exactly the same regardless of circumstances"

You get credit for the things you do, not the things someone thinks you will do.

The guy is a tall wideout who ran the 9 route well for a bit of success.  He is also 27 years old, never played a full NFL season and appears to like weed more than football.  

1900 yards in 36 career games.......17 TD's.......15+ yards per reception.

Yeah.......he's a big suspension risk but if he were producing at that 850 yards and 6-7 TD's per 16 games clip he'd be earning north of $10M per right now and the Bills would have virtually no shot at signing him.

So as a dirt cheap waiver wire pickup he'd be worth the risk.

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that this thread exists and has serious replies saying we should sign him, just shows how little knowledge a lot of poster actually have. I mean, just Google Bryant's name and you'll see why no one is going to pick him up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Don’t see it happening but I’d grab him.  Wouldn’t cost much.  If he doesn’t clean up his act, cut him.  Our WRs are bad. 

Agreed. I totally understand that McBeane only want Boy Scouts. But it seems to me that they can take a flyer on some of these guys, like they did with Coleman, and if it doesn't work they just get rid of him, and if it does work, they're heroes for the reclamation project. It worked for three years with Ritchie Incognito. There was also a somewhat reliable rumor IiRC that the Bills were interested in Bryant last year. I thought no way would McBeane do it but then I saw that they actually did look into it. So who knows. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Agreed. I totally understand that McBeane only want Boy Scouts. But it seems to me that they can take a flyer on some of these guys, like they did with Coleman, and if it doesn't work they just get rid of him, and if it does work, they're heroes for the reclamation project. It worked for three years with Ritchie Incognito. There was also a somewhat reliable rumor IiRC that the Bills were interested in Bryant last year. I thought no way would McBeane do it but then I saw that they actually did look into it. So who knows. 

Bryant is a "process guy" compared to Coleman.    Just can't stay off the wacky tobacky and has developed a bit of a chip on his shoulder about being hyper-prosecuted for it and denied his free agency.  

2 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Are those projections or are they what he had?

Because they’re two different things.

Answer the question hot shot.

I mean, this is easy stuff.

Hold on.

Hahaha

He played 11 games!! You can’t possibly think people here are stupid enough to not look at a per game or per target average. Aaron Rodgers threw for 1,675 yards last year and only 16 TDs!! He fell off a cliff.

If you want to push gross stats for a season in which he played 11 games people will see right through it. That is a TERRIBLE argument. Distorting the truth around here never works. If you want to say, “he’s an idiot” you have a point. That’s reasonable

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We prefer the term “McBoy Scouts”

9 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

You're right.  He possesses talent.  Beane and McDermott wouldn't want that.

*No sarcasm

Bryant was already suspended 16 games for his last substance abuse violation, and now he has (supposedly) violated it again. It is absolutely a factor, regardless of his talent, because there is a chance he will miss a big chunk of games, and he may not even play a game this season, depending on what the violation was.

What would even be the point in signing him if that’s the case? 

I don’t know that many teams will rush to sign him until they know what the NFL is going to do, aka, whether or not he gets the Josh Gordon treatment (indefinite suspension, since he was already suspended for 1 year (and to get to that point you have to violate the substance abuse policy many, many times)). 

It all really depends on what the violation was for.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

How long is he going to be suspended for though?

That is what I am wondering too. 

Will it it be another year long ban? Indefinite ban like Josh Gordon got? 

Or was it a less serious violation? 

I think teams will need to get some type of clarification from the league office, or wait to see how things play out, before signing Bryant. 

If it’s a failed drug test, he’s probably done for quite a while. If it’s something liked a missed exam/appointment that invoked the infraction, the punishment will likely be much less serious. 

Edited by BillsFan4

If he's suspended for the season, why bother, next season the Bills will have money to sign someone who's not likely to get suspended again.  What did he do, make it through one season clean. 

I don't care how talented you are, WR takes some time to adjust to the QB.   If he's suspended lets say for only 8 games (likely will be more) by the time he comes back and gets on track with QB the year would be practically over.  I recall even when the Bills signed James Loften, his first year he, took him some time to geton track with the rest of the offense.

So no, to me is a waste if he's getting suspended.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24548815/oakland-raiders-cut-martavis-bryant-suspension-looms

Bryant ran afoul of the NFL's drug policy at some point this offseason, the sources said, and it was the second violation for the receiver. The suspension could be for a full season, though the appeal process currently underway could shorten it or even eliminate it.

Sounds like it is possible that he misses the entire season, depending on what happens with his appeal. 

During training camp, Raiders coach Jon Gruden lamented Bryant's missing practice and not being "versatile" enough as a receiver. In his final news conference of training camp, Gruden made a quip about Bryant after the receiver practiced after missing the previous two days with migraine headaches.

"We're calling Martavis 'The White Tiger,'" Gruden said. "I used to go to Busch Gardens in Tampa. ... You know, you go to Busch Gardens, and they got a white tiger? You go 12 times, 13 times I went to Busch Gardens, and the white tiger was always in his cage. Well, the white tiger came out today. Bryant came out. I don't know if you get that analogy, but sometimes he comes out to play, and sometimes he doesn't. And it's good to see him because he's really special, like the white tiger."

Thought that quote by Gruden was kind of funny.

The migraine thing immediately brought back flashbacks of Percy Harvin though. 

Edited by BillsFan4

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Plexico Burress II..........pass..............

Not really.

Plax just made one notable mistake........Bryant has made numerous dumb decisions to use or expose himself to the weed.

I think most of us realize that most NFL players have or choose to put far worse substances in their bodies and that perhaps even MOST NFL players also use mj but just aren't totally stupid about it like Bryant was.......which put him in the program and made it impossible for him to just-not-use for the month before the scheduled testing period in summer like all the non-program medicators.

However.......Kelvin Benjamin on the other hand is basically a poor man's version of Plaxico Burress.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:08 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

He played 11 games!! You can’t possibly think people here are stupid enough to not look at a per game or per target average. Aaron Rodgers threw for 1,675 yards last year and only 16 TDs!! He fell off a cliff.

If you want to push gross stats for a season in which he played 11 games people will see right through it. That is a TERRIBLE argument. Distorting the truth around here never works. If you want to say, “he’s an idiot” you have a point. That’s reasonable

Yes, that ONE time he reached 765 yards but had a projection of 1100.. Are you reading what you write? I know 5 years olds who make more sense than you. Projections for that one time 3 years ago he did some decent things... yikes to the max.

It’s funny. You seem like a guy who hits .325 in AA and thinks he’s the man but when you come up to the major leagues where I am, you’re hitting .240.

Take a break from trying too hard. You don’t have it.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:46 PM, Domdab99 said:

The fact that this thread exists and has serious replies saying we should sign him, just shows how little knowledge a lot of poster actually have. I mean, just Google Bryant's name and you'll see why no one is going to pick him up. 

Well maybe you should go read my OP when I started the thread.  Says nothing about signing him, just simply shared the story of how he got cut amidst another looming suspension, and only did that because this knucklehead was someone people here previously wanted.  

On 9/1/2018 at 5:00 PM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m usually not “that” guy, but I’d bring him in. He can learn the playbook while he’s suspended 

I'm not quite sure he can. Maybe it depends on when the suspension comes down, but during the suspension I'm pretty sure you can't have any contact with the team or be at any team facilities.

I also don't trust someone who has proven to be this unreliable to have the discipline to undertake that task. 

Also, he's looking at a year long suspension. I'm not sure I understand the point in signing him at all. Run off Dareus then sign a guy suspended for a year. The logic is amazing on here.

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well maybe you should go read my OP when I started the thread.  Says nothing about signing him, just simply shared the story of how he got cut amidst another looming suspension, and only did that because this knucklehead was someone people here previously wanted.  

I can see why you'd respond that way, however, he never singled you out and some people are saying sign him. Which is crazy to me. In the conservative NFL you can sign him in the spring anyways. No need to do it now for a guy who will be out for a year.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:46 PM, Domdab99 said:

With all due respect, is this news to you?

Many posters here struggle with the complex subtleties distinguishing "their," "they're," and "there."

:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yes, that ONE time he reached 765 yards but had a projection of 1100.. Are you reading what you write? I know 5 years olds who make more sense than you. Projections for that one time 3 years ago he did some decent things... yikes to the max.

It’s funny. You seem like a guy who hits .325 in AA and thinks he’s the man but when you come up to the major leagues where I am, you’re hitting .240.

Take a break from trying too hard. You don’t have it.

You must not be too good at math. 69.54 yards a game is 1,112 yards over 16 games. You might want to stop while you are behind.