EJ Manuel vs AJ McCarron Last Night

EJ Manuel (who played the 1st 3 quarters): 18/22, 255 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, sacked once for 2 yards

AJ McCarron (who played the entire game): 13/34, 156 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, sacked 5 times for 30 yards. McCarron did also run for a TD inside the 10.

I (think) most of us agree that EJ Manuel isn't very good. So it's odd to me that there is all this talk about EJ Manuel being awful and Gruden needing a backup, yet the guy he thoroughly outplayed is so clearly an upgrade.

I hope the narrative catches on and the Bills CAN trade him. I just think we're over-reacting a bit to the "legendary" game against practice squad players where McCarron struggled mightily and got lucky that he was going against guys who hit him right in the face on 4th and forever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Don't be the guy that simply reads the box score to determine how good or bad a player plays.  You have watched them both and they both suck.  McCarron sucks a bit less

Normally I would say the box score doesn't tell the full story but when its this lopsided it definitely tells a story

• Like (+1) 3

I think the story it tells is that preseason game #4 doesn't mean jack squat because most of the guys playing defense won't be in the league in 2 days, nobody game plans, and nobody really cares about the outcome.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Denver Passing

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS RTG
Paxton LynchP. Lynch 14/15 128 8.5 2 0 1-7

THAT is "legendary"

Why did McCarron throw 2 picks against Geico insurance salesman? Sure he then ended up rallying against them but the Ravens defense won't be selling homeowner's policies in 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

EJ Manuel (who played the 1st 3 quarters): 18/22, 255 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, sacked once for 2 yards

AJ McCarron (who played the entire game): 13/34, 156 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, sacked 5 times for 30 yards. McCarron did also run for a TD inside the 10.

I (think) most of us agree that EJ Manuel isn't very good. So it's odd to me that there is all this talk about EJ Manuel being awful and Gruden needing a backup, yet the guy he thoroughly outplayed is so clearly an upgrade.

I hope the narrative catches on and the Bills CAN trade him. I just think we're over-reacting a bit to the "legendary" game against practice squad players where McCarron struggled mightily and got lucky that he was going against guys who hit him right in the face on 4th and forever.

This is a bad post. You completely left the part out that they werent playing for the same teams against the same teams. Its not even comparable.

Just now, Bill_with_it said:

This is a bad post. You completely left the part out that they werent playing for the same teams against the same teams. Its not even comparable.

True enough. The insurance salesman, car dealers, and realtors in Chicago are a LOT tougher than the ones in Seattle!

• Like (+1) 1

I would recommend a viewing of highlights from the Bills vs. Jacksonville in London from 2 years ago to remind yourself of how horrifically bad EJ is/was.

He has never performed when the bullets are live, Gruden likely knows that too.   

I think if anything it means McCarron is at or below the standards of a backup QB. I think EJ’s stat line is what a backup should put up against scrubs.

The difference is EJ is probably the second best QB on their roster (at worst it’s a coin flip between him and Cook), and McCarren is our third best. We’re setup in a decent position there, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we cut McCarron because he’ll just get in the way and he probably doesn’t want to be QB3 anyways.

31 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

But...Peterman put up good stats against scrubs...are you saying he isn't the next Tom Brady because they were scrubs?  

McCarron's opportunity just went out the same window that EJ'S did here.Granted that was a great comeback job against the bottom of the bench gang, but just like EJ, McCarron is just not good enough.  AJ just got beat out by Peterman for the Bills starting QB job

39 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

When you draw conclusions based on a single data sample (last night's game for each player) and conclude EJ is good and AJ is bad, you come across as a complete idiot.

No offense.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

McCarron sucks a bit less, but had a much worse game.

My point is that they are both awful. Even a guy who can't throw accurately and has zero pocket presence (EJ Manuel) tossed 3 TD and didn't turn it over while throwing for 250+ yards.

Who cares.  It's one preseason game. 

ej-manuel-int-2.gif?w=500&h=305

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

Ive seen McCarron play before and not crap his pants

its preseason it doesn't mean a thing.

Of course Peterman looks good so did EJ

I fear with Peterman starting things could go really well -until we get down 10 points in any game it's virtually over. 

Play with the lead  we'll could be alright...but Peterman in the gun slinging it no chance.  

Edited by CardinalScotts

The 4th preseason game is so utterly meaningless. Tyler Bray even looked good last night. That's what's scary about McCarron's performance. He is a 4 year veteran starting a game where any competent QB should be able to move the ball and he couldn't do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lofton80 said:

I would recommend a viewing of highlights from the Bills vs. Jacksonville in London from 2 years ago to remind yourself of how horrifically bad EJ is/was.

He has never performed when the bullets are live, Gruden likely knows that too.   

He wasn’t close to as bad as Peterman was and he might be our starter. 

AJ isn’t an upgrade over EJ.

41 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Who cares.  It's one preseason game. 

ej-manuel-int-2.gif?w=500&h=305

Post Peterman, our starter, against the Chargers now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, McNubbins said:

Everyone sucks. Cut them all. 

Interesting premise.  Eliminate the NFL.  NCAA becomes the top level of football, all players must legitimately graduate with a Bachelors degree.  Money not spent at the pro level gives all students a university or college degree or trade.

I know, wear a hat under the hot summer sun.

Jeebus!  Sorry mods, for the inadvertent thread hijack.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I dont recall blowing a first round pick on Peterman either. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Biscuit, it’s not worth it. Fans that actually believe EJ is the worst QB in the league are mouth breathers. We know how this goes. You and I thought our franchise pulled him too early and never helped develop him, and they see a bad half of football that we would have won if not for a joke of a defensive PI call.

Before any of you morons jump on me, I don’t think EJ is a great QB. I wish he would’ve worked out and still think he’s a gamer, but he’s not nearly as bad as you superlative psychos think.

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I dont recall blowing a first round pick on Peterman either. 

It was always about the draft pick with you guys. Never mind that we traded down. Never mind that he ended up being the best QB in a horrible, horrible draft class.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The 4th preseason game is so utterly meaningless. Tyler Bray even looked good last night. That's what's scary about McCarron's performance. He is a 4 year veteran starting a game where any competent QB should be able to move the ball and he couldn't do it.

...just curious....do we put too much stock in that "4 year veteran" stuff for a guy who sat 99% of that time?........didn't we hype TT's ""4 year veteran" stuff upon arrival from Ravens, who ALSO sat for 99% of the time behind Flacco?......didn't he essentially have to start over with "live ammo" , diminishing the value of  "riding the pine" ?...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, fridge said:

It was always about the draft pick with you guys. Never mind that we traded down. Never mind that he ended up being the best QB in a horrible, horrible draft class.

Well that's refreshing. We got the best of the worst. The fastest turtle in the race.

58 minutes ago, fridge said:

Biscuit, it’s not worth it. Fans that actually believe EJ is the worst QB in the league are mouth breathers. We know how this goes. You and I thought our franchise pulled him too early and never helped develop him, and they see a bad half of football that we would have won if not for a joke of a defensive PI call.

Before any of you morons jump on me, I don’t think EJ is a great QB. I wish he would’ve worked out and still think he’s a gamer, but he’s not nearly as bad as you superlative psychos think.

Hold up fridge,  how can EJ be the worst in the league if Tyrod is already the worst in the league.

Are they co-worst in league? 

?

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

preseason

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just curious....do we put too much stock in that "4 year veteran" stuff for a guy who sat 99% of that time?........didn't we hype TT's ""4 year veteran" stuff upon arrival from Ravens, who ALSO sat for 99% of the time behind Flacco?......didn't he essentially have to start over with "live ammo" , diminishing the value of  "riding the pine" ?...

Haha, remember when people basically said TT was a rookie yet he was in his 4th year. Oy!

• Haha (+1) 1

If somehow the market for McCarron in a trade is a lot better than I think it is, I'm OK with trading him.  Buffalo can go with two QBs on the 53 man roster.  They can sign somebody's rookie offcast for the practice squad.  Unfortunately, I don't think trading McCarron is going to fetch much of a return.  If you'r not going to get a decent draft pick, you might as well hold on to him for emergencies, and try to trade him next March.

Edited by TigerJ

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not to rip into the narrative here, but does anyone know of a "Every EJ Manuel Throw" video similar to the one for AJ?

Its not posted yet. I just looked. 

It should eventually post to NFL’s twitter, and the Oakland Raiders twitter. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

https://mobile.twitter.com/Raiders?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

5 hours ago, fridge said:

Biscuit, it’s not worth it. Fans that actually believe EJ is the worst QB in the league are mouth breathers. We know how this goes. 

In what way is EJ a gamer?  This is the same guy who was so awful in his last game as a Bill that he got benched  to have Cardale come in?  And just this  pre season had some ball security issues that were so bad that Chuckie said that he may not have any backup QBs?

Talk about rose colored glasses...

5 hours ago, fridge said:

Wow.  I thought the black Christian Hackenburg stans would be too ashamed to show their faces.

EJ a gamer.  @Rico can you believe this guy?  EEEEEeeeeeeeeJJJJJjjjjjjj.

Edited by BringBackOrton

8 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

McCarron sucks a bit less, but had a much worse game.

My point is that they are both awful. Even a guy who can't throw accurately and has zero pocket presence (EJ Manuel) tossed 3 TD and didn't turn it over while throwing for 250+ yards.

Its a preseason game.  EJ has been a preseason hero for a few years now.  Soon as he comes in a real game he stinks. He has probably also had better players around him and more practice time not coming off a shoulder injury.

Its preseason man.

That said AJ probably isn't very good either.

Edited by Scott7975

McCarron was dreadful for most of yesterday, but I would still trust him over Manuel in a real NFL start.   McCarron's experience is limited but he has shown more than EJ has during the few times he has played.

EJ often looked good in preseason here.   Even in games, he would move the ball a bit and look good for some plays, but then have those awful plays that destroyed any momentum and put the other team in a position to win.