Seantrel Henderson & Kouandjio

ehfeuh57

54 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

You can employ clever rhetorical devices, but you can't cover up the fact that the O line is as bad if not worse than any time in recent memory.  they made the bengals look like the return of the steel curtain or the NY Sack Exchange

Yes but t hat doesn't change the fact that all you're doing is swapping out one backup for another.  And two of them who when with the Bills could never even get on the field due to health issues.  As someone pointed out yesterday, our issues aren't depth, it's the starting five.  So don't see how this changes anything. 

You want to complain about play on the line, fine.  But complaining about not keeping the two you mention is pretty laughable.

I also think Seantrel was well worth keeping.  We made no attempt to sign him and let our former Vice President of Player Personnel, Brian Gaines, (who certainly would be very familiar with Seantrel) sign him after Gaines became GM of the Texans.

I suspect that Seantrel is going to do really well for Houston and we will regret not having signed him.  As an aside and as a Canes fan, I remember him playing some guard with UM as well.

I also thought that the Bills would have been better off not nickle and diming Richie.  I am sure people will disagree with me, but I don't think Richie would have had these off season issues if he had continued to have the structure that being on the team provided him.

Keeping Richie also was important because of how important he was in the development of Dion Dawkins and the loss of Eric Wood. 

Speaking of Dion Dawkins, I don't recall ever seeing Cordy pushed around like Myles Garrett pushed around Dawkins.

In the end, the offensive line is horrible.  Clearly, Eric Wood's situation was thrust upon them (but that also happened back at the very beginning of the off season).

Instead of trying to fill holes, McBeane managed to create them by outsmarting themselves.  McBeane, our QBs, Shady, and we will regret these decisions immensely between now and the end of what looks to be a long and difficult year.

• Like (+1) 3

Do we know that they didn't try to keep Henderson?

Henderson got paid $4Mil.. this is what they paid Newhouse and Bodine combined and that figure would have made him the highest paid player on the OL by some margin..

Im not saying that he is not worth the money mind you.. just that they may have got outbid and decided to go in a different direction...

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, DrDare said:

So both of these O lineman were essentially kicked to the curb, with none to really replace them as depth

They are both currently on other NFL rosters.

Meanwhile we are reeling at our O-line depth and starters for that matter.

oh LOOK. it's the same thread as has been posted for the rest of the day.

how refreshing. <_<

37 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Very interisting diagnosis. Where did you get your psychiatry diploma from again? Your obvious grasp of how the mind of someone that has a potential mental illness works is fascinating.

Well then I suggest you go yell at a few funerals and go throw some weights at people at the local gym if you feel that's normal in your world. No charge on the advice?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Peter said:

I also thought that the Bills would have been better off not nickle and diming Richie.  I am sure people will disagree with me, but I don't think Richie would have had these off season issues if he had continued to have the structure that being on the team provided him.

I agree with that.

The decision to ask him for a pay cut seems like it was intended to try to save some money

so they could use it to sign other players.

They wanted to take money out of Richie's pocket and give it to Star Lotulelei.

Good grief !

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDare said:

So both of these O lineman were essentially kicked to the curb, with none to really replace them as depth

They are both currently on other NFL rosters.

Meanwhile we are reeling at our O-line depth and starters for that matter.

Considering both play Tackle not sure that helps us at Guard.

25 minutes ago, Rico said:

Both Whaley gems, good riddance. Miller’s next.

yes we should get rid of everyone on the OL who plays bad.  on a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if Peterman can play  OL?

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

yes we should get rid of everyone on the OL who plays bad.  on a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if Peterman can play  OL?

I am not sure, but it will not make any difference whether he can play OL because Peterman is likely to get hurt playing behind this group.

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

I am not sure, but it will not make any difference whether he can play OL because Peterman is likely to get hurt playing behind this group.

Surely there's random people on the street who are better than henderson or kujo, this very thread has told me that

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Surely there's random people on the street who are better than henderson or kujo, this very thread has told me that

I like Seantrel.  I liked him in college.  We shall see how he does with Houston. Based on what I have read, he has done well there . . . but I have not actually seen him play for them yet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I felt like Henderson could've been a pretty solid player if he had his head on straight, which he did after his rookie year here. Injuries and illness and the suspensions really derailed things for him but hey, maybe he'll turn it around in Houston. 

For what it's worth Henderson has Chron's disease. He had to have a chunk of his intestines removed and the rest 'patched' back together during one of his 'IR' periods. I'll cut a guy some slack for that. Some guys take a lot time off for ligament damage etc, this guy had his whole digestive system rerouted.

It's not like he was doing Spice or K2 and was found naked in a field or lot. Marijuana would have been a legitimate pain killing treatment in many states after having a chunk of your internal plumbing removed and stitched back together. The team gave up on a guy with a legitimate disease and major medical operation.

2 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

The team gave up on a guy with a legitimate disease and major medical operation.

Once again - how do we know this?

Houston paid him $4Mil for a one year deal... This is significantly more than any other OL on the team for a guy who was a back up last year...

Maybe Beane was interested in keeping him but got outbid...

Edited by Aussie Joe

36 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Once again - how do we know this?

Houston paid him $4Mil for a one year deal... This is significantly more than any other OL on the team for a guy who was a back up last year...

Maybe Beane was interested in keeping him but got outbid...

Houston was O-line hungry and paid a former NFL starter (26 games as a rookie and 2nd year player) a $4 million one year deal to prove he could come back. Fair point. You are right, who knows what offers were there, or what conversations were had? IMO I feel like we gave up on a guy that is better than Mills that would seem by all accounts to be a tough and inspirational McBean type player. He did play and start 26 games. Who knows how long he had full blown case of Chron's?

The post I replied to had an opinion Henderson's 'head wasn't on straight'. That could be said in truth for a lot of former and a few current Bills. I didn't think it fit for Henderson who was dealing with a major medical issue.

Good story about Henderson's health issues and history below from the Houston Chronicle. He sounds like a guy who is erudite and has perspective. Not a guy with a few screws loose. https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Seantrel-Henderson-gets-fresh-start-with-Texans-13132409.php

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. – Seantrel Henderson was legitimately scared for his life as white-hot fear nearly overcame his massive body.

Plenty of tears were shed. His parents and his girlfriend held his hand inside his hospital room. The young football player was facing a serious medical crisis.

Stricken by a devastating intestinal disease that rendered his intestines a poisonous area three years ago, Henderson was worried that more important things than his once-promising football career with the Buffalo Bills was over.

Henderson felt like he was being stabbed in the gut, daggers of pain shooting through his midsection. Crohn's disease attacked his bodily functions during the latter stages of the 2015 season.

"It was very unpleasant," said Henderson, who signed a one-year, $4 million contract to join the Texans as a free agent this spring. "Very uncomfortable, excruciating pain, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

"I've never been so scared in my entire life. I didn't know if I was going to make it or what was going to happen. It was very scary. Everybody was scared for me."

The 6-7, 330-pound future Texans' starting right offensive tackle couldn't stop vomiting. He couldn't use the bathroom. He lost roughly 50 pounds.

Ultimately, doctors surgically removed 80 diseased centimeters of his large and small intestines in early 2016. (BTW 80 centimeters is 2.6 feet)

For four months, Henderson had to have an ileostomy bag attached to a hole surgically created above his waist. Surgeons eventually reconnected his bowels, allowing him to heal and later resume his NFL career.

It was all because of Crohn's disease, the incurable inflammatory disorder that disrupts the stomach, intestines, colon and other organs. Symptoms include abdominal cramping, diarrhea, internal bleeding and chronic fatigue.

"At one point when I first got to the hospital, they said my bowels were poisonous and I couldn't use the bathroom for a week," Henderson said. "They had to stuff a tube down my nose, through my throat and suck everything up out of there. I had the ileostomy bag for four months after the surgery, and I wasn't supposed to be able to play football no more."

"They said I was going to need the bag for the rest of my life, but I healed so fast that they reconnected my bowels. That's how I got to come back to play again. I'm very grateful."

Now, the 26-year-old's medical ordeal has brought him back from the brink of an unpleasant life to being healthy again and back on an NFL roster. Henderson is primed for a significant role on an overhauled offensive line.

All of that almost didn't happen, though, because of Crohn's disease. That affects up to 700,000 Americans, according to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

Although there's no known cure, surgery can help preserve the working portions of the stomach. Altering the diet can cut down the risk of complications.

A former blue-chip recruit from Minneapolis who ranked first among all players in the 2010 incoming freshman class when he signed with the University of Miami, Henderson is no stranger to hardships.

In college, Henderson battled injuries, a weight problem as he tipped the scales at 375 pounds as a freshman and three suspensions for violating team rules. Henderson later revealed at the NFL scouting combine that he had a history of marijuana use in college.

That baggage dropped Henderson to the seventh round, but he still became the Bills' starting right tackle as a rookie when he started every game that season and 10 more games as a second-year pro. His original four-year, $2.8 million contract qualified as a bargain.

Then, serious stomach issues threatened to derail his career.

During training camp, Henderson felt like he had a charley horse on the side of his lower abdominal area. It only got worse as a portion of his intestines became toxic and he couldn't digest food normally.

After being rushed to a Philadelphia hospital in extreme pain in December of 2015, Henderson was diagnosed with Crohn's. That ended his second NFL season and led to the surgeries in January of 2016.

Doctors removed more than 2 ½ feet of his gastrointestinal tract.

Henderson had to keep going back to the hospital because of bleeding from his surgery wounds.

It wasn't until April of that year that his intestines were reattached and he could stop wearing the ileostomy bag, which had to be emptied every hour.

A second surgery reconfigured his remaining intestines. Then, he was able to finally start the healing process and resume a normal life and his football career.

Before that surgery, though, Henderson was despondent. He was worried that he was going to have to wear the ileostomy bag for the rest of his life.

He even wondered if he could find a way to play football while wearing the bag strapped around his stomach. It would have been impossible to be sure the bag wouldn't break while playing a grueling contact sport.

"I was in a dark place, I was depressed," Henderson said. "I felt insecure about myself. I had to have the bag and wasn't able to use the bathroom normally. I lost so much weight. I was very unhealthy. I had no appetite. I was told I was going to have that bag on me for the rest of my life and I knew I wouldn't be able to play with that."

"After I started healing up, I started getting out of that down moment and my spirits started getting lifted a little bit more and I looked up and I had my second surgery and I was back to training again. Ever since then, I've been fine with no internal problems."

The comeback was nearly derailed for Henderson when he was suspended for the first four regular-season games in 2016 for violating the NFL substance-abuse policy. Henderson was using marijuana to manage the pain.

Henderson understands that the NFL couldn't make an exception for him to use marijuana medically even though many doctors advocate doing so to ease the pain from Crohn's disease. The NFL policies don't have regulations addressing medical marijuana.

"I thought the league would understand," Henderson said. "We're football players, but we're human, too. They've got their rules. I totally understand. What happened, happened."

Henderson was later hit with a 10-game suspension in 2016 for another violation of the NFL drug policy. He has been tested regularly under the league drug program, as many as three times per week, but says he no longer uses marijuana now that his Crohn's disease is under control.

"At the time, I thought I was done playing," Henderson said. "I didn't think I was coming back. At the time, I was using that for pain. Now, I don't need it. I'm fine. I was trying to not be in a dark place. I was trying to help myself, but I got in trouble. My mind was all over the place..."

"All of it's in my past. I've dealt with a lot, went through a lot with it. I really don't even like to think about it anymore. I like the space that I'm in now and the situation that I have here."

Henderson is embracing his fresh start with the Texans.

They immediately plugged him into the starting lineup. The biggest player on the roster, Henderson is playing under a one-year, prove it contract.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

I don't miss those 2, Henderson and Kouandjio.

The guy I miss is Richie Incognito.

What a stupid decision that was, to ask him to take a pay cut.

How'd that work out ?

You're talking about a guy that needs medical help.  Have you not kept up this off season?

• Haha (+1) 1

The Bills gave Seantrel Henderson every chance, he could not stay healthy.  At the time he left, Kujo < Miller, now he's either = or just slightly > Miller.  I don't think either of those guys is the answer.  I'd try to talk Kraig Urbik out of retirement before I'd try either Hendo or Kujo

Henderson & Kujo or Newhouse & Bodine. 

The answer is "C," none of the above. 

Richie and Wood hurt. Maybe, the Bills can reach out to Richie and undo his paycut. I'm sure Richie would like a distraction from his insanity (no joke, people who lose loved ones can get consumed with work and become **** hot employees bc they don't have to suffer as much with a distrqction from their personal life). 

Edited by Paulus

6 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

At least 2 pre-season games have warned us. CLE and CIN abused our OL. Unless they have allergies to the AFC Central, we have serious O-Line issues that need to be addressed.

Exactly.  Love these "it's one game" and "preseason" idiots.  If you don't see the issue, you are the biggest homer ever.

I believe it’s pretty simple to figure out. Those two wouldn’t make a difference if they were here or not so the point in talking about them is moot. Same with Wood and Incognito, it doesn’t matter, the same problem is still prevelant from last year.

The real issue can be summed up in two words:

Juan Castillo

It’s more of a scheme issue and less of a talent issue. The run blocking is okay but the pass blocking is atrocious. It’s a complicated scheme and both teams that ate up our o-line had familiarity with Castillo and his scheming. I know it’s preseason but opposing teams still work on the simple things defensively.

Basically a twist and a bull rush will render the line completely ineffective and that’s on coaching, not talent.

10 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Houston was O-line hungry and paid a former NFL starter (26 games as a rookie and 2nd year player) a $4 million one year deal to prove he could come back. Fair point. You are right, who knows what offers were there, or what conversations were had? IMO I feel like we gave up on a guy that is better than Mills that would seem by all accounts to be a tough and inspirational McBean type player. He did play and start 26 games. Who knows how long he had full blown case of Chron's?

The post I replied to had an opinion Henderson's 'head wasn't on straight'. That could be said in truth for a lot of former and a few current Bills. I didn't think it fit for Henderson who was dealing with a major medical issue.

Good story about Henderson's health issues and history below from the Houston Chronicle. He sounds like a guy who is erudite and has perspective. Not a guy with a few screws loose. https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Seantrel-Henderson-gets-fresh-start-with-Texans-13132409.php

Great article.

I keep on hearing that McBeane want character guys etc.  

One would have thought that, if they really wanted character guys on the team, who better than a guy who has come back from Crohn's disease or another guy who received the Ed Block Courage Award after coming back to play after having a kidney removed.  

Both of these guys are inspirational and have shown courage, I suspect we will miss both when we see our line struggle and these two have success elsewhere.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dorquemada said:

You can employ clever rhetorical devices, but you can't cover up the fact that the O line is as bad if not worse than any time in recent memory.  they made the bengals look like the return of the steel curtain or the NY Sack Exchange

Or the purple people eaters.

14 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

Kouandjio was found running around naked in a field at 3am, screaming incoherent phrases.

Henderson got busted umpteen times for failing drug tests.

Zay Jones got caught running around naked screaming incoherent phrases.

What's being nuts got to do with anything ? The NFL is littered with nuts.

Richie could at least block his assignment and open holes for Shady, whether he was wearing clothes, or not.

As for saying no to the pay cut, HE DID !

Come on, these are the players you want???   All major distractions with serious issues. Zay is walking a fine line, he better produce or he will be gone. 

Ritchie agreed to the pay cut and signed it. Then he did not like the deal and fired his agent.  Then he retires under contract .  Then he asked to be released to go elsewhere on a new deal. Then the violent gym incident. Then the violent incident at the funeral home.  All on top of the bizzare racism allegations during the Jax game.  

Ritchie has an excellent LG. Time to move on and get the guy some help.  Otherwise it is quite possible that he is going to hurt someone or himself someday.   No teams are calling him, he needs help, his career is over.  I hope he gets the help he needs. 

Why is this in anyway complicated? You don’t get to keep every player in the league and after comparing them all, cast off those that don’t measure up! When a team knows they have players that don’t measure up they first have to get rid of them before they can bring in potential replacements. There are no guarantees that those replacements will be any better. 

Memories are short around here.  Given Henderson's illness and struggles I really hope it works out for him, but when with the Bills he just couldn't get on the field.  And Cyrus was just bad.  BUt true to form for some, any guy we sign is bad and any guy we let go is an All Pro.

besides, they would only be helpful if they could move inside and play G right now.  Our starting tackles aren't bad.  It's our interior line that was bad the other day.

13 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

For what it's worth Henderson has Chron's disease. He had to have a chunk of his intestines removed and the rest 'patched' back together during one of his 'IR' periods. I'll cut a guy some slack for that. Some guys take a lot time off for ligament damage etc, this guy had his whole digestive system rerouted.

It's not like he was doing Spice or K2 and was found naked in a field or lot. Marijuana would have been a legitimate pain killing treatment in many states after having a chunk of your internal plumbing removed and stitched back together. The team gave up on a guy with a legitimate disease and major medical operation.

This has been discussed many times before.

Marijuana for pain  control after intestinal surgery is not the standard of care anywhere in this country.  The move actually is to non narcotic analgesics such as Tylenol and toradol.  And then....beyond the first few days, nothing.

16 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

I don't miss those 2, Henderson and Kouandjio.

The guy I miss is Richie Incognito.

What a stupid decision that was, to ask him to take a pay cut.

How'd that work out ?

He unhinged. Not sure which came first. 

Maybe pay cut was  protection for pattern pattern of behavior emerging? 

4 hours ago, flomoe said:

I believe it’s pretty simple to figure out. Those two wouldn’t make a difference if they were here or not so the point in talking about them is moot. Same with Wood and Incognito, it doesn’t matter, the same problem is still prevelant from last year.

The real issue can be summed up in two words:

Juan Castillo

It’s more of a scheme issue and less of a talent issue. The run blocking is okay but the pass blocking is atrocious. It’s a complicated scheme and both teams that ate up our o-line had familiarity with Castillo and his scheming. I know it’s preseason but opposing teams still work on the simple things defensively.

Basically a twist and a bull rush will render the line completely ineffective and that’s on coaching, not talent.

Its definitely a talent issue. We have 1 talented lineman starting.

14 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I'm with you on that. Felt bad for the dude. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Its definitely a talent issue. We have 1 talented lineman starting.

If they had kept Glenn it would be two. Two is better than one IMO, but call me silly. Math is funny that way.

Heck 1.5 with Henderson would have been better, and that guy had a Cholostomy bag for half a year. What is Mills excuse?

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1