Former Seahawks Punter Jon Ryan to visit Bills on Tuesday

Logic

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/21/report-former-seahawks-punter-jon-ryan-expected-to-visit-bills/

Former Seahawks Punter Jon Ryan to Visit Bills on Tuesday

After his release from the Seattle Seahawks on Monday, veteran punter Jon Ryan already has a visit set up with an interested team.

According to Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times, Ryan is expected to fly to Buffalo on Tuesday for a meeting with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Is this a camp-leg thing? I think Schmidt is pretty good.

I would think so.  McD and Beane love competition though, so they're always pushing guys to stay focused and to get better.  

However,  I would think there's plenty of kicks needed for the remainder of the off season to just need another leg.  

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

Is this a camp-leg thing? I think Schmidt is pretty good.

Nope, it is a legit competition. Ryan has been around forever. I’m sure that if the Bills bring him in he is getting a serious look. Ryan has played like 10 seasons i think. He’s not going somewhere, the day after being released, unless he has a chance. My guess is if the Bills like what they see he will be signed to compete. If they don’t like what they see, they’ll pass.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

Haushka worked great for us, why not their punter too!

Rian Lindell was quite solid for many years, for that matter

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I wouldn't view this as a serious competition.

Hauschka's former holder and battery-mate?

I'd bet Colton Schmidt doesn't share your viewpoint

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, it is a legit competition. Ryan has been around forever. I’m sure that if the Bills bring him in he is getting a serious look. Ryan has played like 10 seasons i think. He’s not going somewhere, the day after being released, unless he has a chance. My guess is if the Bills like what they see he will be signed to compete. If they don’t like what they see, they’ll pass.

..pretty reasonable too.....looks like $1 mil/yr has been his salary........

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

At this point in their respective careers, I think I'd probably stick with Schmidt. I think he's more suited to the Bills' philosophy of playing field position, a little more conservative.

Jon Ryan is a top-32 punter and deserves a job somewhere.

I'd like to see more consistency from Schmidt and especially in key situations. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'd like to see more consistency from Schmidt and especially in key situations. 

I agree wholeheartedly. He's in that 'replacement level' tier but I think he's near the top of it.

If he can string together 2 good years, he'll be worth keeping long-term. If not, hot and cold is probably what he is at 27-28.

Formerly of the Seahawks, per Rapoport 

@Rapsheet: Former #Seahawks punter Jon Ryan is flying to Buffalo and will sign with the #Bills when he lands, source said. He requested his release from Seattle, saw it quickly granted, now will land on his feet.

Edited by FluffHead
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 5 Wide said:

Good news - Schmidt has been decent pinning inside the 20 but doesn't seem to have a very big leg.

Placing punts routinely inside the 20 is an art and shouldn’t be overlooked. But yes, Schmidt has been erratic and hurt us too many times. Ryan asked for and was given his release by Seattle, then jumped the next flight to B’lo.

hmmm..??

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Placing punts routinely inside the 20 is an art and shouldn’t be overlooked. But yes, Schmidt has been erratic and hurt us too many times. Ryan asked for and was given his release by Seattle, then jumped the next flight to B’lo.

hmmm..??

Hmmmm agree too.  This may not be just a camp leg signing.