Anyone remember November 29. 1998?

njbuff

I don't have to remind anyone how this game went.

But my question is................... Is this truly the day you started hating the Patriots or was it after Tom Brady became a Superstar?

For me, it was this day in 1998.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I hated them once they changed uniforms, drafted Bledsoe and started selling tickets. Before that they were hardly ever on tv and that was good for me, real good. 

remember that day well.. and those uniforms were awful.. why they would change from an iconic uni into that junk was beyond comprehension.. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That game was horrible, but The Tuck Rule game was the cake topper for me in my disdain for the patsies 

The Tuck rule to this day is one of the most obscene decisions in all of sports by an official, right up there with giving the Ruskies three trys to win the 1968 Gold Medal basketball game.

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That game was horrible, but The Tuck Rule game was the cake topper for me in my disdain for the patsies 

Yeah, I didn’t view them as a threat until that point. I was never particularly concerned about Bledsoe carrying them to championships. 

30 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Actually you do have to remind me how this game went.  What are we, all "Rain Men" that know what happened one November day almost 20 years ago?

I remember every minute of that day.  I woke up at 10:17 AM that morning, ate a bagel with orange juice for breakfast, then went into the bathroom &  showered, then got dressed & put on a Bills sweatshirt.  For lunch I ate a personal pizza with a 20 oz. bottle of Coke.  I turned on the TV and watched the Jets dominate Carolina and at 4 I  switched to the Bills game at NE.  I remember every play & every commercial.  I especially liked a local commercial for a car dealer where the owner dressed up like a chicken and I yelled at the screen "You look just like Pete Carroll" as I mocked the then-Patriots head coach.  Then came the hail mary and I was cursing at the TV.  I then ate dinner & watched TV before going to sleep at 11:37 PM.   

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

The "Just give it to em" play was clearly both short and out of bounds.  Then they give them a PI in the endzone on another bad call, just brutal.  I think that cost us home field vs the Dolphins in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I don't have to remind anyone how this game went.

But my question is................... Is this truly the day you started hating the Patriots or was it after Tom Brady became a Superstar?

For me, it was this day in 1998.

It was after Brady became a super star.  Before, I thought they were just another team.

They went 5-11 the year before they won their first Super Bowl.  I thought they were going to be bad again for years to come.

31 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Oh i recall now, that is when lil Bum got so upset he yanked the team off the field and the Pats then went for 2 and shockingly got it, worst is they threw it to pad individual stats

You can’t pad stats on a 2 point conversion... they don’t count

3 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Sure they do, they're points scored, just as they count for kickers converting an XP.

They don’t count as yards accrued or a TD... I can care less if it adds 2 points to your season total 

it isnt a TD

1 hour ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I really, really started to dislike them then.  But they didn't reach hate level until Brady and spygate

Spygate changed everything. Up until then I could respect what they were doing while very much disliking them. That and the 2007 season with how arrogant they were every game made me utterly despised them. I was at 56-10.

This game is not when I started to hate the patriots*-this is the day I realized that some teams just do not rate effort from officials. I watched at my Brother in Laws house-before I was married to his sister- and I was screaming like never before.  Those officials were awful down the stretch and appeared to not even be aware of the rules. The day I hated the patriots* was a complete 180 from the previous week. When I found out that they were cheating in such a huge manner in spygate I hated them. I generally appreciate greatness even against me.( Love Montana, Favre, Marino, Mannings) 

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This game is not when I started to hate the patriots*-this is the day I realized that some teams just do not rate effort from officials. I watched at my Brother in Laws house-before I was married to his sister- and I was screaming like never before.  Those officials were awful down the stretch and appeared to not even be aware of the rules. The day I hated the patriots* was a complete 180 from the previous week. When I found out that they were cheating in such a huge manner in spygate I hated them. I generally appreciate greatness even against me.( Love Montana, Favre, Marino, Mannings) 

they allowed a 4th down catch where there was no way the Pat was inbounds on that drive.

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Can someone break it down for a youngin?

Not only did the officials give a first down where clearly it was not warranted, they called a hail mary pass interference where there was more contact from patriots* than Bills. that game coupled with the Jets being given a win a week or so later against seattle I think forced the NFL to bring back replay.

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Didn't need a clue here...

Being in our division, I never liked them, but the despise-o-meter reached new numbers when they went to the flying Elvis on their helmet...they $chit-canned one of the best logos in the NFL.

I’ve hated them since they beat us in a playoff game in ‘63. 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not only did the officials give a first down where clearly it was not warranted, they called a hail mary pass interference where there was more contact from patriots* than Bills. that game coupled with the Jets being given a win a week or so later against seattle I think forced the NFL to bring back replay.

Ah yes, the infamous Testaverde QB sneak TD on the last play of regulation.  The refs seemingly called it a TD because the football logo on Testaverde's helmet crossed the goal line, but the actual football didn't get within two feet of it.  That was a disgrace.

Edited by mannc

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I doubled my meds to see if I could remember 2008 let alone 1998.....Jesus............

I tested myself with lunch yesterday for starters, then quit playing the game....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Oh i recall now, that is when lil Bum got so upset he yanked the team off the field and the Pats then went for 2 and shockingly got it, worst is they threw it to pad individual stats

They did not throw it. The kicker ran it in.