New Era Cap HIres Russ Brandon - The Company Reverses Course

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t think we really know the “ratio” of how much his relationships “were” wrong vs “looked” wrong. I had a good guy who worked for me at a bank. He started dating a subordinate and they tried to be discreet for months. It became a little too clear to me, and they knew it. Rather than make a big deal of it, she found an equivalent position elsewhere. All was well in the world. 

They’ve been married 30+ years and I’m so happy for them. Not that you have to be married and live happily ever after, but they were adults and there was no coercion. Every situation should to be handled individually, but these days it’s just too hard to get past this stuff. 

I know nothing specific here, so maybe Russ deserves to be flogged, I don’t know. I just hate when the pendulum swings too far in either direction. 

The Pegulas never said that he resigned because of a inappropriate relationship.  That was reported by the media, but they also said that the Pegulas' deeper inspection into Brandon's performing his job was also a factor.

And I get the adult romance side/argument, but this has been a repeat thing through his tenure in bills management with multiple females, some married, he's married.  This likely didnt have the appearance of an office romance.  What women are sleeping with this guy anyways if he isnt president or paying them?

The Pegulas trusted him to retain him, and gave the ultimate trust vaulting him to the top of their sports empire.  This behavior is unnecessary and violates that trust.  It can create a bad working environment for many people, potentially cost millions of dollars and embarrassment, and even force them to sell the team(s).  It puts everything into question: raises, promotions, work assignments, bonuses, termination, etc.   After looking into this behavior, why cover for Russ Brandon (who allegedly lied to their faces after he was "caught")?  For what?  Last time I checked, just as many tickets were sold,  the revenue sharing check was the same, and the bills have some dumb slogan for the season once again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Going from an NFL team to a baseball cap company only makes his involvement at a high level with the Buffalo Bills, for so many years, that much more embarrassing.

He did so little a President of the Bills

1)Negotiating a lease that was virtually a poison pill to anyone that would buy and try to move the team

2) Negotiating a sale of the team netting 1.4 B. for a team valued at 900m tops.

Thats just the big stuff, he also over saw the stadium renovations  among other things.

He wasn't a football guy he was and is an astute businessman.

I have no iron in the fire but to call this guy the worst thing to happen to WNY is an injustice and poor attempt to ignore what he did for our beloved team.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm sorry, was THIS his grand plan in leaving the Bills/Sabres of his own volition, for no reason whatsoever other than needing a change?

His comments upon leaving were so ridiculous.  Own what happened.

EDIT:. That's right, even though Americans love second chances any conciliatory speech must invariably involve "changing my ways" comment which Brandon probably wasn't ready to do.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

1)Negotiating a lease that was virtually a poison pill to anyone that would buy and try to move the team

2) Negotiating a sale of the team netting 1.4 B. for a team valued at 900m tops.

You are essentially claiming Russ Brandon purposefully reduced the value of the Bills (that is what the NRA does in this case), and at the same time increased their value by 150%?

The standpoint of the team/franchise in lease negotiations is to reduce the lease terms and penalties.  Not add them in.  The County and State would have laughed and gladly taken a 100 year NRA if that is what Russ Brandon was secretly pushing that (rogue I guess without Littman/Wilson's knowledge).  We should be crediting Polancarz and that Duffy guy from the State.

The timing of Mr. Wilson's passing was pretty key and made everything "work out" as the paint wasnt dry on those boulders they put in as "renovations".  If he were to live and pass away in July of 2018, it would be a much different story and we would be cursing at the "buyout period" of that NRA, as it would be much more appealing for outside WNY buyers.  I would also argue that a lot of those renovations were a waste and a botch job, as that money would be better spent on the longer term solution (boulders, black paint, a new Bills store, a maze of walkways that zigzag)?

I also am unsure how much of Brandon's "negotiation" was needed to sell the team to Terry and Kim Pegula.  It was an auction.  Potential owners and their lawyers looked over the books, assessed their potential competition, and a large premium is added on to join the club of NFL ownership.  

Through the ownership changes, Brandon is a nobody.  Billionaires do what they do.  He didnt talk Terry Pegula into dropping an extra half billion on the team.  Additionally, Littman was the "real" proxy for Ralph Wilson, the other billionaire in the deal.  Things were not being done without his involvement, knowledge, or blessing.  If Russ Brandon could add a half billion dollars in value, he would have been hired long ago.

One thing Russ Brandon is lauded for, is 'working a room' when it comes to sponsors and/or business executives.  He is a manipulator, and can become a charming guy when the climate needs it, which is/can be useful in the corporate world.  New Era is going to tap into this and he will probably essentially be a salesman to try to cut deals with pro sports leagues and individual teams and other organizations (where possible).

IMO, he worked his tail off in his early days with the Bills with "Business Backs the Bills" and selling suites/premium suites for the (1999?) renovations.  Made a name for himself and also lighted the idea of moving training camp to his alma-mater and monetizing that.  This resulted in son-like adoration from Ralph Wilson and as a result, he was over-promoted and given the keys to the car, and to be honest, I don't think he was very good at driving it.  His huckster personality bought him some more years with the Pegulas.  

And all this is ignoring the long-time, cloudy/suspect influence he had over decisions that directly impacted the football team, and McDermott reportedly felt the need to ban him from being around.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There was not a criminal investigation for anyone to be found "guilty".  It was a business ethics/conduct (and performance) decision handed by the owners of a business, followed by a voluntary resignation.  

Edited by May Day 10

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

There was not a criminal investigation for anyone to be found "guilty".  It was a business ethics/conduct (and performance) decision handed by the owners of a business, followed by a voluntary resignation.  

You're certainly defining the term "voluntary" liberally.  ;)

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

Scale of 1-10 how awkward will it be when the Bills and New Era have promotion dinners/conferences and the Pegulas have to dine with Russ. 

I'm sure Russ will conveniently be "out of town on business" during these dinners/conferences.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No kidding, WTF it is like rubbing in in their face, i think there is something more to the story here.

The Bills got a sweet deal from New Era given market size and the nominal (if any) return these companies see on their investment.  The Bills won't be saying much IMO. 

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He didn’t bang Kim or the daughters right?  Dude might be creep but that’s his personal business.  As long as a guy isn’t a criminal and is good st their job, I could care less what they do in their private lives (assuming it’s not affecting my life).

Never heard anyone say that he "was good at his job," while he was with the Bills.

17 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'll bet anything that the Pegulas were given advanced notice of the hiring. 

That doesn’t mean they were thrilled about it 

could be fine, could be awkward 

28 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Never heard anyone say that he "was good at his job," while he was with the Bills.

Welcome to the board. I’d say any given day about half here think he was good at his job, depending on how you define his job

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Thats just the big stuff, he also over saw the stadium renovations  among other things.

He wasn't a football guy he was and is an astute businessman.

I have no iron in the fire but to call this guy the worst thing to happen to WNY is an injustice and poor attempt to ignore what he did for our beloved team.

You forgot about the part where he was the active General Manager of the team.

His sympathizers at this forum have been telling me for a while that he was tutored by John Butler and was an astute "football guy" after so many years in the football game.

I fully understand that he is a talented marketer/business guy.  That is precisely my point.  He is not and never was a football guy, yet this organization pretended he was for a very long time.

Football guys lose jobs and get new jobs at....other football teams. 

Not baseball cap companies.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Well, you must not be listening very hard...

"Russ Brandon has done a tremendous job in his 16 years with our organization and is very highly respected throughout the National Football League" -- Ralph Wilson, Jan. 1, 2013

“Russ’ experience, knowledge and relationships he’s built over the years made him the right choice."  -- Kim Pegula,  May 2, 2018 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Well, So long Russ.      Awkward, for sure... 

"Good afternoon. New Era Cap would like to clarify that Russ Brandon has not been officially hired by the company. While dialogue did occur between the parties, such discussions did not fully materialize. New Era Cap’s leadership team has worked with Russ Brandon for many years and these conversations were simply an outcome of that ongoing professional relationship. Thank you."

https://buffalonews.com/2018/07/31/new-era-cap-russ-brandon-discussions-did-not-fully-materialize/

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Well, you must not be listening very hard...

"Russ Brandon has done a tremendous job in his 16 years with our organization and is very highly respected throughout the National Football League" -- Ralph Wilson, Jan. 1, 2013

“Russ’ experience, knowledge and relationships he’s built over the years made him the right choice."  -- Kim Pegula,  May 2, 2018 

Reading between the lines, if he's so tremendous, why is he gone?  Now it looks like the New Era gig won't happen either.

13 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Reading between the lines, if he's so tremendous, why is he gone?  Now it looks like the New Era gig won't happen either.

Why's Leslie Moonves (CBS), John Lasseter (Pixar), Garrison Keillor (Prairie Home Companion), Charlie Rose (PBS) and on and on and on gone?     #MeToo (even when it can't be proven) doesn't mean a guy's not talented and indeed, at the top of the ladder...

Edited by Lurker

4 hours ago, stony said:

The Bills got a sweet deal from New Era given market size and the nominal (if any) return these companies see on their investment.  The Bills won't be saying much IMO. 

...and New Era has right of first refusal for naming rights on a new stadium (price does go up though)............