New Era Cap HIres Russ Brandon - The Company Reverses Course

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

image.thumb.png.1ef0a32cb648122c6db6caca6830febe.png

This really is an odd moment, isn’t it? 

Im guessing we don’t get the whole story but very curious about the behind the scenes - and not even really from a Buffalo Bills drama stand point, really insert any two intertwined companies and a random exec into this and it’s interesting 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

This really is an odd moment, isn’t it? 

Im guessing we don’t get the whole story but very curious about the behind the scenes - and not even really from a Buffalo Bills drama stand point, really insert any two intertwined companies and a random exec into this and it’s interesting 

It truly is.

2 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Dick's CEO is also a St John Fisher grad....

Oh come on!? I was just joking...

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

image.thumb.png.961ce93f22280cc438ad5ce0f317e48a.png

image.thumb.png.fd2f1cc1465d59756848b23a5f86686a.png

Ranking investigative journalism stories of all time as follows:

1) Watergate break-in (Woodward and Bernstein)

2) JFK assasination (Walter Cronkite)

3) Calling New Era to find out Russ Brandon’s name is in company directory (Tim Graham)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Sounds more like some people at New Era weren't pleased to have Russ on board.  

The only people that matter at New Era are the Kochs, so that's unlikely.  Although maybe Chris didn't ask Lindsay what she thought before he made the hire... 

New Era Cap Presents James Harden Q & A And Interactive Design Session

New Era CEO Chris Koch and his wife Lindsay Koch pose before New Era Cap presents a James Harden Q & A and interactive design session on February 11, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Why's Leslie Moonves (CBS), John Lasseter (Pixar), Garrison Keillor (Prairie Home Companion), Charlie Rose (PBS) and on and on and on gone?     #MeToo (even when it can't be proven) doesn't mean a guy's not talented and indeed, at the top of the ladder...

That's very true but it seems to be a different type ladder now a days.

25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The only people that matter at New Era are the Kochs, so that's unlikely.  Although maybe Chris didn't ask Lindsay what she thought before he made the hire... 

New Era CEO Chris Koch and his wife Lindsay Koch pose before New Era Cap presents a James Harden Q & A and interactive design session on February 11, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.

Why isn’t it likely that other executives and rank-and-file got wind of this and made a stink, so Koch reversed course? That seems like a perfectly reasonable explanation.

1 minute ago, vincec said:

Is it really necessary to black ball someone for life for a mistake they made? Just wondering.

No. But it's only been a short time since his departure from PS&E.  To have him resurface as an executive of New Era with a close affiliation to the Bills/Sabres is interesting in an awkward way to say the least. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, vincec said:

Is it really necessary to black ball someone for life for a mistake they made? Just wondering.

Its a business ethics issue and something he has made a habit of for at least 17 years (to my knowledge).  

If i am an owner of a company, especially in the current climate of "me too" social media,  24 hour news, quick public opinion, and lawyers at every corner... i do not want to hire a guy i cannot trust in ethical matters when dealing with the other gender.  Russ Brandon is not worth the risk or headache. 

Its not about punishing him for wrong doing.  Its about exposing your business to risk that is not needed

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No. But it's only been a short time since his departure from PS&E.  To have him resurface as an executive of New Era with a close affiliation to the Bills/Sabres is interesting in an awkward way to say the least. 

It’s a company that he has a relationship with and that he could probably help from a marketing standpoint. It’s a step down in terms of leadership responsibility. Should he have applied at Starbucks?

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its a business ethics issue and something he has made a habit of for at least 17 years (to my knowledge).  

If i am an owner of a company, especially in the current climate of "me too" social media,  24 hour news, quick public opinion, and lawyers at every corner... i do not want to hire a guy i cannot trust in ethical matters when dealing with the other gender.  Russ Brandon is not worth the risk or headache. 

Its not about punishing him for wrong doing.  Its about exposing your business to risk that is not needed

The risk from his behavior is New Era’s call. One that they’re being pressured to reverse.

Edited by vincec

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Russ became CEO for Apple all apple products gone. CEO for McDonalds I would never eat there again. CEO for Chevy I would never buy one again and trade in my Impala. CEO of Duffs i would just eat Anchor Bar.

Great, more for us.

46 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not necessarily.  If there were other executives, or even underlings who got wind of this and were pissed all it takes is a call to good ol' Timmah to get the media poop storm started.

• Like (+1) 1

Look, he cheated on his wife... in politics it often spells an end to a career generally.  For an organization such that preaches integrity character etc, it is bad optics so close to them... not sure if there is more to the story, but he left a lot of bad feelings around the Bills and Sabres doing his job... my feeling was it was just a nail in the coffin.  Sometimes guys like that are good hustlers and marketers and companies hire them as long as they stay below the radar.  Russ was exposed so now he is poison locally... probably needs to lay low for a while if he wants to stick around... nature of the beast.

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Look, he cheated on his wife... in politics it often spells an end to a career generally.  For an organization such that preaches integrity character etc, it is bad optics so close to them... not sure if there is more to the story, but he left a lot of bad feelings around the Bills and Sabres doing his job... my feeling was it was just a nail in the coffin.  Sometimes guys like that are good hustlers and marketers and companies hire them as long as they stay below the radar.  Russ was exposed so now he is poison locally... probably needs to lay low for a while if he wants to stick around... nature of the beast.

He really needs to switch towns.  The fishbowl of Buffalo is so small there is no way for him to lay low.

Also, exclusive video from a high level New Era BoD meeting, provided by Dunkirk Don

Edited by That's No Moon
Had more thoughts.
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Exactly. No one is saying he can’t or shouldn't work again. But it doesn’t look great that he was thrown an executive level position by one of his buddies 2 months after being forced out for inappropriate behavior. Oh and that buddy happens to run one of the Bills’ most prominent corporate partners.

Should he work again? Absolutely. But New Era probably should have felt this out a little more before setting up his phone line and office and then lying about it. (Same goes for Delaware North, or Dunn Tire, or any other highly visible Bills’ partner.)

Edited by JoPar_v2
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Remember when he went to the media and told them the raiders wanted to hire him?

Maybe he meant 'panty Raiders'.

Next stop:  Go head up the corporate division responsible for the new app for radio streaming at WGR550.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, vincec said:

I think it depends upon how they see their past doings...was it a mistake in their view, or were they the "fall guy"?  

It also depends upon the position you place someone in, how much trust/supervisory capacity etc they have

35 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He really needs to switch towns.  The fishbowl of Buffalo is so small there is no way for him to lay low.

Also, exclusive video from a high level New Era BoD meeting, provided by Dunkirk Don

He should really leave the country. Maybe Rogers Communications has a job for him in Toronto.

Edited by Rico

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it depends upon how they see their past doings...was it a mistake in their view, or were they the "fall guy"?  

It also depends upon the position you place someone in, how much trust/supervisory capacity etc they have

I agree. Unfortunately there’s no way to know these things at this time. We don’t know what Brandon thinks of his firing because he refuses to comment and we don’t know what position he was hired for at New Era.

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Why isn’t it likely that other executives and rank-and-file got wind of this and made a stink, so Koch reversed course? That seems like a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Does that work at your company much?    LOL...

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

If i am an owner of a company, especially in the current climate of "me too" social media,  24 hour news, quick public opinion, and lawyers at every corner... i do not want to hire a guy i cannot trust in ethical matters when dealing with the other gender.  

Chris Koch and Russ have been close friends for 25 years.   Trust isn't an issue, but optics might be...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1