Allen already a factor in QB race ?

1 hour ago, BB@Shooter said:

I don't put out anything that isn't true or can't be supported. So how does that make me different?

BB

Gotta ask you.....it feels to me like you attack anything that you feel might be anti Josh Allen (even if it is not)?

A lot of ppl are agreeing with your opinions and you dont see it.....

Have a cold one sir and enjoy the ride

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I can whole heartedly commend the daily Cover 1 camp podcasts to the board. The day 3 one where Erik and Nate break down some film from the first three days and get into both the offensive scheme and also Allen is really, really excellent work. When it comes to detailed analysis of the Bills at this time of year there really is nowhere else to go. 

Seems to me that Allen had a bit of a meltdown on day one but hell, who hasn't had nerves the first day on a new job. Some real promising signs on day 3 particularly. Love that he is executing swing passes and screens because they were there very rarely on his college tape and when they were called he was really struggling with the precision ball placement needed. Encouraging signs. Looking forward to seeing him get a whole bunch of playing time in pre-season game 1. He will almost certainly go into that game as the #3 but I expect him to come out of it neck and neck with AJ (and the rest of the board to wake up to what some of us can already see.... Peterman sucks).

I recommend it also, I enjoy their work. 

On 7/29/2018 at 11:34 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I have been (and still am) willing to let Allen sit all year if need be and shouldn't start UNTIL he is ready.

That said with how he is doing so far he is showing more than the other QBs and I believe that he will win the competition.

Man it feels good to have a franchise QB !!! Go Bills !!!

The prettiest throw and two picks? That's "more than the other QBs"?

https://buffalonews.com/2018/07/28/qb-watch-day-3-allen-makes-prettiest-throw-has-two-picks/

Yeah, not seeing that at all. I'll start believing that the minute you can produce at least one article (professional writer, not a Bills fan) specifically saying that Allen had the best day. On, say, five days. 

Not the best throw. The best day.

And there hasn't even been one day like that so far.

Edited by Thurman#1

27 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/07/28/qb-watch-day-3-allen-makes-prettiest-throw-has-two-picks/

Yeah, not seeing that at all. I'll start believing that the minute you can produce at least one article (professional writer, not a Bills fan) specifically saying that Allen had the best day. On, say, five days. 

Why are you providing a link to a subscription only site with absolutely no quote or context???

Many of us don't subscribe to the Buffalo News. 

Day 3 was when that was posted, right? 

Is Joe Buscaglia a professional writer???

Also from day 3:

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-training-camp-day-3

1) The Josh Allen Experience
- Fans in attendance on Saturday saw to the sincerest form of Josh Allen -- at least the one that he portrayed during his college days. Early on during individual drills, he misfired a few rockets to his receivers that made them work a bit harder than they needed to. However, once it got to team drills, Allen started to shine. His first throw was an on-point slant route in tight coverage that the defensive back barely got a hand on to break it up. Then he read the next play correctly -- a pick play that freed up wideout Kaelin Clay on a wheel route -- and Allen put the perfect touch on the throw to hit Clay in stride, and he quickly ran into the end zone for a touchdown. The very next play, he made a fantastic anticipatory throw to Cam Phillips on a comeback route to the left sideline that was there as soon as the wideout turned. Allen was feeling himself, which is what led to the next part of the Josh Allen Experience. The next play, Allen spotted his target in the end zone on an out route, stared him down -- to which cornerback Ryan Carter baited him and quickly jumped in front for the interception. That play was entirely on Allen. However, his next round of reps was with the first-team and went well. His lone missed attempt went for an interception on paper, but it was on a throw that you'd want your quarterback to try in that situation. Allen threw a jump ball to the 6-foot-5 Kelvin Benjamin, to which most times the receiver will come down with the ball. It was tight coverage and went off his hands not once, but twice, and hung up in the air -- to which Jordan Poyer came over and caught the pass right before it hit the ground. That throw is one that was not made enough over the last three years, so I'm not going to fault him for it. All in all, his day ended 5-of-8 with one touchdown and two interceptions, with only one being his fault. He had the best practice of the group on Saturday and has been the best quarterback at camp thus far.

Checks off 2 boxes... best day and best over a series of multiple days.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why are you providing a link to a subscription only site with absolutely no quote or context???

Many of us don't subscribe to the Buffalo News. 

Day 3 was when that was posted, right? 

Is Joe Buscaglia a professional writer???

Also from day 3:

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-training-camp-day-3

1) The Josh Allen Experience
- Fans in attendance on Saturday saw to the sincerest form of Josh Allen -- at least the one that he portrayed during his college days. Early on during individual drills, he misfired a few rockets to his receivers that made them work a bit harder than they needed to. However, once it got to team drills, Allen started to shine. His first throw was an on-point slant route in tight coverage that the defensive back barely got a hand on to break it up. Then he read the next play correctly -- a pick play that freed up wideout Kaelin Clay on a wheel route -- and Allen put the perfect touch on the throw to hit Clay in stride, and he quickly ran into the end zone for a touchdown. The very next play, he made a fantastic anticipatory throw to Cam Phillips on a comeback route to the left sideline that was there as soon as the wideout turned. Allen was feeling himself, which is what led to the next part of the Josh Allen Experience. The next play, Allen spotted his target in the end zone on an out route, stared him down -- to which cornerback Ryan Carter baited him and quickly jumped in front for the interception. That play was entirely on Allen. However, his next round of reps was with the first-team and went well. His lone missed attempt went for an interception on paper, but it was on a throw that you'd want your quarterback to try in that situation. Allen threw a jump ball to the 6-foot-5 Kelvin Benjamin, to which most times the receiver will come down with the ball. It was tight coverage and went off his hands not once, but twice, and hung up in the air -- to which Jordan Poyer came over and caught the pass right before it hit the ground. That throw is one that was not made enough over the last three years, so I'm not going to fault him for it. All in all, his day ended 5-of-8 with one touchdown and two interceptions, with only one being his fault. He had the best practice of the group on Saturday and has been the best quarterback at camp thus far.

Checks off 2 boxes... best day and best over a series of multiple days.

No, it checks off one box. Best of one day, though it was a day where in 8 attempts he threw an INT he was totally to blame for, if we ignore the other INT. I didn't ask for "best over a series of multiple days." I asked for best of the day, on five days. That's one of five. So we're now 20% of the way to where it should be taken even slightly seriously.

Hadn't seen the Joe B. article. Thanks for posting it. I respect his stuff. He's the only one who has said so about any day, including day three, but I thought about it when I asked for one.

Again, 20% of the way to where it would be reasonable to believe he's a factor.

Edited by Thurman#1

Allen has really grown on me. The kid has "it."

Watch the Cover 1 videos of the last two days of camp to see how impressed they are with Allen. And Dabol. AND the OL. It really gives me hope. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I agree that it's early days yet to proclaim Allen a starter, much less a "franchise QB"

Joe Buscaglia, who I believe would qualify as a media professional (though he seems to be a Bills fan - as long as he's a professional, can he still be a Bills fan?) specifically said that Allen had the best day of the 3 QB on Saturday and had looked the best through 3 days of camp.

There seemed to be general agreement among some others - are Nate Geary and Erik Turner of Cover 1 professional enough? - that Allen had the best day on Saturday, though I don't believe they'd agree with the "best through 3 days of camp" thing.

I think we can say there has been one day like that.

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, it checks off one box. Best of one day. I didn't ask for "best over a series of multiple days." I asked for best of the day, on five days. That's one of five. So we're now 20% of the way to where it should be taken even slightly seriously.

Hadn't seen the Joe B. article. Thanks for posting it. I respect his stuff. He's the only one who has said so about any day, including day three, but I thought about it when I asked for one.

So a good 5 day stretch is meaningful but not a good 3 day stretch even though 3 days of Training Camp is all we've had???

Not 20% of the way if it's 3 out of your 5 day criteria. Joe B said he's been the best QB over the first 3 days of Training Camp.

And Minicamp matters (it's called Minicamp, separate from OTAs for a reason) and Allen was good in his last 2 days there, too.

So I provided the writer with a direct quote you asked for, can you provide a writer through now 4 days of Training Camp who has provided a "best of the QBs" list on a per day basis?

Joe Buscaglia is the Bills beat writer and, love him or hate him, I would think he'd be one of the first sources anyone would go to in order to find per day performance evaluations considering after all the practices he does his "7 observations "write ups." Have the other writers been saying Allen has been noticeably worse than AJ or Peterman thus far?

10 hours ago, klos63 said:

Do we ignore the 2 INT's yesterday?

I do

9 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I'm hoping he can realize his potential eventually because if he does, he's far more likely to qualify as a franchise QB than McCarron or Peterman.

Nobody actually thinks AJ or Peterman would ever qualify as a franchise QB. Do they?

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You are correct that the final determination shouldn’t come after a few practices however it is a bit comforting to know that Josh Allen does not look out of place against legit NFL competition to hear some talk about it this guy was going to look like a total scrub because he came from a lesser college and didn’t have great numbers last year maybe we should trust the bills coaches a little more since they have earned it with a playoff appearance

I am all in on McBeane. We haven't had brains like these running this operation in a l o n g time. I 100% trust the process and it's year two of them. Broke the playoff drought year one and legitimately bought time to do whatever the hell it is that they want to do. All in. Trust the process. 100% hand them the keys to the car.  Defend Our Dirt. I'm in.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So a good 5 day stretch is meaningful but not a good 3 day stretch even though 3 days of Training Camp is all we've had???

Not 20% of the way if it's 3 out of your 5 day criteria. Joe B said he's been the best QB over the first 3 days of Training Camp.

And Minicamp matters (it's called Minicamp, separate from OTAs for a reason) and Allen was good in his last 2 days there, too.

So I provided the writer with a direct quote you asked for, can you provide a writer through now 4 days of Training Camp who has provided a "best of the QBs" list on a per day basis?

Joe Buscaglia is the Bills beat writer and, love him or hate him, I would think he'd be one of the first sources anyone would go to in order to find per day performance evaluations considering after all the practices he does his "7 observations "write ups." Have the other writers been saying Allen has been noticeably worse than AJ or Peterman thus far?

I gave a benchmark. Now you're trying to weasel. How surprising. If you'd like to have a separate discussion about other things, fine. Don't do it in reply to me.

And again, I didn't ask for a "good 5 day stretch." Five days. Not five days in a row. Five days. The best, five times. And since Joe did not say he was the best on Day 1 or Day 2, he has been called the best on one day, Day 3, by Joe B. 

Five days isn't a very high benchmark. TC is, what, 20 days? And I didn't insist on multiple writers. The very fact you're weaseling says something.

Edited by Thurman#1

20 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I gave a benchmark. Now you're trying to weasel. How surprising. If you'd like to have a separate discussion about other things, fine. Don't do it in reply to me.

And again, I didn't ask for a "good 5 day stretch." Five days. Not five days in a row. Five days. The best, five times. And since Joe did not say he was the best on Day 1 or Day 2, he has been called the best on one day, Day 3, by Joe B. 

That isn't a very high benchmark. TC is, what, 20 days? And I didn't insist on multiple writers. The very fact you're weaseling says something.

Weaseling?

I've noticed that when you lose an argument you get a little bitter.

Once again, who "won" all the days so far by the standards of whatever writers you find acceptable?

I read up enough on these enough to know that writers don't generally rank QBs on a practice by practice basis, so what you're asking for is, in itself, a weasly request because there's no "running tab" that's consistently kept and all you can do to get an idea is read what different writers say and find the meat in the middle.

But here are 2 more who said the same thing as Joe B about day 3... did you even look before asking?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So how about instead of one respected writer/analyst that says Allen had the best day on, say, five days... how about 5 respected writers/analysts who say Allen had the best day on a day they all agree on :flirt:

First sentence of the article in the OP:

"Saturday was not only Josh Allen’s best day of training camp so far, but he was arguably the best quarterback on the field for the Bills."

What the Cover 1 guys have said is that AJM has probably been the most consistent QB through 4 days but Josh Allen's day 3 was the best single day that any of them has put in so far. 

Ultimately task 1 for Josh this pre-season was put yourself in the mix early in camp. He has done that. 

Task 2 is move up the depth chart. I am pretty certain the plan for pre-season game 1 is that he is the #3 and plays most of the second half. He has to come out of that having passed Peterman on the depth chart. 

Task 3 is then to show in practice and games 2 and 3 that he gives the Bills a better shot to win than AJM. 

• Like (+1) 3

So how about instead of one respected writer/analyst that says Allen had the best day on, say, five days... how about 5 respected writers/analysts who say Allen had the best day on a day they all agree on :flirt:

First sentence of the article in the OP:

"Saturday was not only Josh Allen’s best day of training camp so far, but he was arguably the best quarterback on the field for the Bills."

I'm sure that would be a lovely discussion for you to have with someone.

I totally understand. You have no confidence he'll make my relatively easy benchmark.

Weaseling?

I've noticed that when you lose an argument you get a little bitter.

If calling a weasel a weasel is something you would consider bitter, then yeah, you'd consider that post bitter.

Once again, who "won" all the days so far by the standards of whatever writers you find acceptable?

I read up enough on these enough to know that writers don't generally rank QBs on a practice by practice basis, so what you're asking for is, in itself, a weasly request because there's no "running tab" that's consistently kept and all you can do to get an idea is read what different writers say and find the meat in the middle.

But here are 2 more who said the same thing as Joe B about day 3... did you even look before asking?

Boring and off-target both at once. You're on a high today.

Go read what I said. That way you won't misunderstand it post after post after post after post.

In my very first reply to you I gave you credit for the third day and said that's 20%. Mr. Geary's post then means that you still have credit for the same day, the 3rd day, which means you're still 20% of the way there.

And plenty of writers say someone had the best day if that's what they feel. Joe Buscaglia and Nate Geary in the stories you pointed out, for example.

Or Buscaglia's report on Day 4, when he said, "McCarron has the best day of the bunch but Peterman improved, too."

And I'm only asking for one for each day.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, gordong said:

Okay where is this cover 1 podcast located?

It is downloadable on itunes and google play I believe (though google's podcast function doesn't work in the UK yet... no idea why). It is also uploaded onto youtube where you can see the film they are breaking down too.  They are about an hour per day but just really, really excellent content.  Erik normally pops in here around this time a year but I haven't see him on the boards this time. People wonder why traditional media is struggling it is because people like Cover 1 are doing it and doing it much, much better. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What the Cover 1 guys have said is that AJM has probably been the most consistent QB through 4 days but Josh Allen's day 3 was the best single day that any of them has put in so far. 

Ultimately task 1 for Josh this pre-season was put yourself in the mix early in camp. He has done that. 

Task 2 is move up the depth chart. I am pretty certain the plan for pre-season game 1 is that he is the #3 and plays most of the second half. He has to come out of that having passed Peterman on the depth chart. 

Task 3 is then to show in practice and games 2 and 3 that he gives the Bills a better shot to win than AJM. 

Solid analysis

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is unreasonable.  20% of the way to being a factor in the race?   Allen is 100% of the way to being a factor.   Why:

Because he's in the rotation of first-team reps, according to McDermott.  He would be getting first-team reps is he weren't someone who's actively in the competition for the starting position.  That's true across ALL the positions on the team.  

Also, because EVERYONE, except maybe you, agrees that Allen is the most imressive of the three physically.   Biggest, strongest, fastest, best thrower in purely physical terms.   All of those things are factors in becoming the starter, just like accuracy, decision-making, leadership and other things.   A guy who leads in several categories, and Allen certainly does, is a factor in the competition.  

The standard you've set is the standard for who's WINNING the competition, and I'll agree with that there is nothing credible that suggests he's WINNING.   But a FACTOR in the competition?  You think that McCarron and Peterman would tell you that Allen isn't a credible factor in the competition?  Not for a second.   They see him throwing the ball, and they both know they don't throw like that.  

24 minutes ago, nucci said:

So a team without a starting QB , drafted one No.7 overall and he is a factor in the race to start? Shocking

Exactly.   If he WEREN'T a factor, that would be news.   Of course he's a factor.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

THIS my man, THIS.

I will actually watch the first preseason game for the first time in years due to this! I want to see Allen play well in that second half, even if its with nobodies vs. nobodies. I want to see him take the lead, communicate and command. Hopefully we plays well, but its a lot of the other intangibles that are important for the coaches to see in-game as well. 

As you pointed out, what he has done so far is show that be belongs in the conversation. Now improve every day and lets see what happens.

8 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Allen has really grown on me. The kid has "it."

Watch the Cover 1 videos of the last two days of camp to see how impressed they are with Allen. And Dabol. AND the OL. It really gives me hope. 

Good to see you coming around.

How Bills QB Josh Allen is trying to fix his short-throw issues

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – Josh Allen knows his critics are out there. He just doesn’t know, or care, what they say about him.

He does know, however, why he struggles sometimes on shorter throws, and what he has to do to correct it.

In an interview with Postmedia following the Buffalo Bills’ fourth practice of training camp at St. John Fisher College, the 6-foot-5 237-pound cannon-armed rookie went there, in some detail.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/28/2018 at 11:06 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

There is a thread each for McCarron and Peterman, so I felt it was only fitting that one was started for the real QB.

Our defensive line is stout but I haven't heard much about our QBs being under pressure. It seems we finally have a good offensive system and MAYBE these Olineman can make it work.

Actually, I thought we'd heard a lot about our QBs being under pressure.  There were reports the first couple days that Allen was "touched out" at the top of his 5 step drop, and that numerous throws could be seen to have been a sack IRL.  The OL reportedly improved between Day 1 and Day 2 or Day 3, but still a lot of pressure on a lot of plays, QB throwing it away etc.

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How Bills QB Josh Allen is trying to fix his short-throw issues

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – Josh Allen knows his critics are out there. He just doesn’t know, or care, what they say about him.

He does know, however, why he struggles sometimes on shorter throws, and what he has to do to correct it.

In an interview with Postmedia following the Buffalo Bills’ fourth practice of training camp at St. John Fisher College, the 6-foot-5 237-pound cannon-armed rookie went there, in some detail.

Great find, 26CB, thanks!  Kid sounds like he's got his head in the right place.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wouldn't be surprised if he wound up winning the job. The fact that I see multiple reporters tweeting things like, "Allen is out here throwing passes the other two QBs wouldn't even think of trying" is pretty encouraging.

If he does end up the starter, just be prepared for some bumps in the road. And unless he gets hurt, I wouldn't bench him for anything. I don't care if he has a game where he goes 7 for 25 for 84 yards and two picks, just let him take his lumps and come back the next week refocused and ready to go. Don't give him the Losman treatment where they tell him he's the undisputed starter but every time he had a rough series he was benched for Holcomb and eventually Edwards. Allen doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder every time he throws a pick or has a bad series or two, that doesn't help his development at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

IMO let him sit, we don't know how good/bad the oline will be.  We don't know what the offense is even going to look like.  I would let McCarron/Nate battle it out and have Allen as the #3 until at least week 9.   I would stick to whatever developmental strategy they had since the day they drafted him.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

IMO let him sit, we don't know how good/bad the oline will be.  We don't know what the offense is even going to look like.  I would let McCarron/Nate battle it out and have Allen as the #3 until at least week 9.   I would stick to whatever developmental strategy they had since the day they drafted him.  

Having him sit because of OL uncertainty is not part of the consideration.  He'll either start or sit based on the merits of his own development as Beane stated in an interview yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I argue that they ARE sticking to that developmental strategy. Throw it all at him and see how he handles it and go from there. I know they wont rush him, they will play him when he is ready. why does that HAVE to be week 9? You know that when they drafted him their plan was to "wait until week 9"?

8 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I do

Nobody actually thinks AJ or Peterman would ever qualify as a franchise QB. Do they?

I am all in on McBeane. We haven't had brains like these running this operation in a l o n g time. I 100% trust the process and it's year two of them. Broke the playoff drought year one and legitimately bought time to do whatever the hell it is that they want to do. All in. Trust the process. 100% hand them the keys to the car.  Defend Our Dirt. I'm in.

Will you still be "in" after a 2 or 3 win season in which the Bills fail to score an offensive TD in 4 or more games?  What about multiple losing seasons?

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

How much does this say about Allen versus how much it says about the other 2 guys?

Basically Allen just needs to beat out 2 scrubs.

This really disturbs me.  For all the change in ownership, FO, and coaching staff, the Bills seem to be handling their QBs in 2018 just like they did they did in 2013.

1. released Fitzpatrick before the draft
  2. signed Kevin Kolb as FA - history of numerous injuries over his career
  3. drafted EJ Manuel in the first round of the draft
  4. other QBs: Thad Lewis (udfa), Jeff Tuel (udfa)

1. traded Taylor before the draft
  2. signed AJ McCarron as FA - spent his entire career as a backup
  3. drafted Josh Allen in the first round of the draft
  4. other QBs: Nate Peterman (5th rounder)

For those of you who don't remember 2013, Kolb failed to make it even to the first preseason game, apparently tripping on a bathmat and suffering yet another injury, opening the door for EJ Manuel to become the starter as he then had such great competition.  The Bills in 2018 seem to be much more open about eliminating Allen's competition: they didn't even bother to sign failed starter to pretend to give Allen competition. 

The more I see of McDermott/Beane regime, the more I'm seeing the same old disinterest in winning football games often enough to make the playoffs more than once every 2 decades.

Just now, SoTier said:

Will you still be "in" after a 2 or 3 win season in which the Bills fail to score an offensive TD in 4 or more games?  What about multiple losing seasons?

This really disturbs me.  For all the change in ownership, FO, and coaching staff, the Bills seem to be handling their QBs in 2018 just like they did they did in 2013.

For those of you who don't remember 2013, Kolb failed to make it even to the first preseason game, apparently tripping on a bathmat and suffering yet another injury, opening the door for EJ Manuel to become the starter as he then had such great competition.  The Bills in 2018 seem to be much more open about eliminating Allen's competition: they didn't even bother to sign failed starter to pretend to give Allen competition. 

The more I see of McDermott/Beane regime, the more I'm seeing the same old disinterest in winning football games often enough to make the playoffs more than once every 2 decades.

then you are trying very, very hard to be pessimistic.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Having him sit because of OL uncertainty is not part of the consideration.  He'll either start or sit based on the merits of his own development as Beane stated in an interview yesterday. 

I mean it worked for David Carr in Houston....

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks.   It's obvious, but thanks.   This states correctly when Allen is.   

If he DOESN'T pass Peterman on the depth chart as the result of the first preseason game, then he'll be stuck at 3 with some occasional first-team reps.   At the point, his only realistic objective would seem to be to pass Peterman for the backup spot.   He'll go into the second preseason game playing with the threes, and he'll need the second game to try to climb over Nate.   But by then, AJ will be in the number 1 spot, he'll get first team in the third preseason game and the fourth, and there's essentially no opportunity for Allen to pass him.  

So Allen has a couple of critical weeks ahead of him.  These two weeks likely determine whether he has a shot at starting as a rookie.   He has to show the progress McDermott is looking for; if it doesn't happen now, Allen has a year of grooming ahead of him.  Not the worst thing in the world - if he can't climb the hill fast enough to start this season, then he has a year to climb it.  If he can't climb it by then, the Bills may have gotten the wrong guy.  Only exception would be if AJ really lights it up, Bills go to the playoffs.   Then AJ is the presumptive starter in 2019, and it's tough for Allen to unseat him.  

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What makes a failed starter better competition that a guy who hasn't had his chance yet?  A failed starter is a #2 QB or back up QB....just like AJ McCaron is.