Allen already a factor in QB race ?

34 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Or as McDermott has said a number of times.   

Steel sharpens steel. 

Nope, but it can be an indicator.  

All last season McDermott said Nate wasn’t ready and he wouldn’t throw him out there w/o a good reason.   

true that on an indicator

3 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Our QB missed more time in college and injured the same shoulder 3 times. This is fake news.

Rosen and Darnold will probably start, Allen should but after the NP debacle they will go AJ because of the "process" - that's how I see it. 

How did he injure the same shoulder 3 times? Whoever put that out is poorly misinformed. He hurt it his 1st game at Wyoming , got it operated on and redshirted the rest of the year. The next year he played the whole year and never got hurt. His last year he hurt it against Air Force and missed the 2nd half and the next two games. He then played in the bowl game to end his season with a blowout and win. Then played in the Senior Bowl and was North MVP. Does anyone need some more real history on Allen?

Edited by BB@Shooter

Just now, BB@Shooter said:

How did he injure the same shoulder 3 times? Whoever put that out is poorly misinformed. He hurt it his 1st game at Wyoming , got it operated on and redshirted the rest of the year. The next year he played the whole year and nevery got hurt. His last year he hurt it against Air Force and missed the 2nd half and the next two games. He then played in the bowl game to end his season with a blowout and win. Then played in the Senior Bowl and was North MVP. Does anyone need some more real history on Allen?

..pathetic isn't it?......let's keep dwelling on his collegiate career whether injury or performance as to bonafide indicators as to what we should expect at the NFL level......lemme see if I can get this straight....a malcontent stuck in "poster's purgatory" versus McBeane and his staff of 17+, which includes many former VP's of Personnel or Pro Player Personnel Directors, probably a $4 mil/yr payroll outta Pegula's checkbook.....hardly an exact science, but which basket do YOUR eggs go in???.........

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Unless he wasn't ready. I believe McDermott will start whoever gives us the best chance to win and if it's Allen even better but he will not put him in too early. 

I couldn't be happier that we finally have coach who is willing AND ABLE to do whatever it takes to win.

And for me personally I will never advocate tanking or losing for picks again because it doesn't work and if you're a good GM you can find good players anywhere.

I spent the last 18 years wanting the Bills to lose most years to get a better QB and or coach and it was a very miserable experience. From now on I'm going to want them to win no matter what and win or lose I'm going to enjoy this team A Lot more. It will be like rooting for your favorite college team and it going to be a blast.

Yeah that Carson Wentz is horrible, jinx over baby!!

I don't know man.   He did suffer a knee injury last season.  :)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..pathetic isn't it?......let's keep dwelling on his collegiate career whether injury or performance as to bonafide indicators as to what we should expect at the NFL level......lemme see if I can get this straight....a malcontent stuck in "poster's purgatory" versus McBeane and his staff of 17+, which includes many former VP's of Personnel or Pro Player Personnel Directors, probably a $4 mil/yr payroll outta Pegula's checkbook.....hardly an exact science, but which basket do YOUR eggs go in???.........

Exactly, let's side with the haters who can't even put out the real story. I watched Allen warm up before the San Jose State game and he was throwing bombs. He was healthy enough to play. His coach held him back to make sure. He didn't want to see him ruin his career over one game they should have won without him. But due to his inefficient OC, they lose to lowly SJSU. If Allen would have had a decent OC at Wyoming, his numbers would have been a lot better.

When you consistently run on down 1 and 2, and then pass on down 3, the defense pretty much knows what plays you are running. And they did, and his OC would not change it up. He is one of the worst OC's I have ever seen. And they still manage to win 8 games two years in a row with Allen. Pretty amazing.

17 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Two people have morphed into one yet again. ;)

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yep. And we did a terrible job of preparing and protecting Peterman last year in his first start against the Chargers. One of the first three teams we will play this year. I'm fine with sitting Allen for the first quarter of the season unless he is looking unbelievably good in the preseason.

...with OTAG being an obstinate old fart, I'm not backing off my opinion that Dennison's "fine whine" was behind the Peterman start and McD took the hit because he hated working with TT....Rocket Rick's game plans were woefully inconsistent....one week he would exploit TT's mobility and it worked.....the next week his plan was as if Deadsloe was the QB...so now he's the Jets problem.......

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Two people have morphed into one yet again. ;)

...expound on your wisdom............

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I just want him to be consistant and get a little better each day.......

Anything more then that and the board will implode if he actually has a bad day

you mean the board will go crazy cheering in self righteousness, along with the 'media' on wgr.

15 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I'm not hoping for a specific winner in the QB competition.  I am hoping it doesn't drag on for too long.  Originally I predicted McCarron would be the winner, but the trend certainly looks like Allen can pull it out.

They wore pads on day three.  The competition is far from over, but the signs are showing improving odds for Allen.

Do we ignore the 2 INT's yesterday?

Predicting when each first-round QB should and will make his debut as an NFL starter

Josh Allen, Bills

Should debut: Week 5, vs. Titans

Will debut: Week 5, vs. Titans

The Bills start the season with a gauntlet; at the Ravens, home against the Chargers, at the Vikings, and at the Packers. Buzz's girlfriend. Woof. In a roundabout way, Nathan Peterman was the sacrificial lamb for the Bills against the Chargers' outrageous pass-rush in the November disaster for Buffalo in 2017, and I think he could take on a similar role early in the 2018 campaign.

I'm not a betting guy, but if I was, the +820 for Peterman to start Week One would be very close to a no-brainer. The Bills coaches like Peterman a lot, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's steadier in camp than Allen and McCarron, although he's extremely unlikely to provide the "wow" throws Buffalo's 2018 first-rounder can.

The Bills defense will keep them in games in September, yet 0-4 seems reasonable and a 2-2 start would be outstanding. Either way, that home outing against Tennessee seems like the logical time for Allen to make his Bills debut. The Titans defense won't be brutal this season, but it probably won't be as menacing up front as the squad's in Baltimore, Minnesota, or Los Angeles (units that finished 3rd, 2nd and 6th in Football Outsiders' Defensive DVOA in 2017), and having Allen start in Green Bay against Aaron Rodgers simply wouldn't be doing right by the young quarterback. 

Even one month on the sideline would be much more beneficial to Allen's chance to succeed in the NFL in Buffalo than starting him right away.

My take is if AJ plays just as well as Allen then AJ should start.  Give Allen several games to watch and learn.  If AJ does well then just keep Allen on the bench and trade AJ in the off season.

If Allen is clearly the best QB then he should start game 1. 

Assuming Peterman doesn't completely fall apart he probably stays as the 3rd QB.  Not that he is needed but I suspect AJ will be a one year rental and Peterman will be the #2 next year.  If AJ is good then he gets traded. If he isn't then he will just get cut.

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No but one was a good pass bobbled from a receiver to the defender.

The other was Josh Allen's mistake but the defender did still have to dive to catch it apparently.

Allen is fearless when it comes to making any throw.

I'm not hating it...

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Predicting when each first-round QB should and will make his debut as an NFL starter

Josh Allen, Bills

Should debut: Week 5, vs. Titans

Will debut: Week 5, vs. Titans

The Bills start the season with a gauntlet; at the Ravens, home against the Chargers, at the Vikings, and at the Packers. Buzz's girlfriend. Woof. In a roundabout way, Nathan Peterman was the sacrificial lamb for the Bills against the Chargers' outrageous pass-rush in the November disaster for Buffalo in 2017, and I think he could take on a similar role early in the 2018 campaign.

I'm not a betting guy, but if I was, the +820 for Peterman to start Week One would be very close to a no-brainer. The Bills coaches like Peterman a lot, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's steadier in camp than Allen and McCarron, although he's extremely unlikely to provide the "wow" throws Buffalo's 2018 first-rounder can.

The Bills defense will keep them in games in September, yet 0-4 seems reasonable and a 2-2 start would be outstanding. Either way, that home outing against Tennessee seems like the logical time for Allen to make his Bills debut. The Titans defense won't be brutal this season, but it probably won't be as menacing up front as the squad's in Baltimore, Minnesota, or Los Angeles (units that finished 3rd, 2nd and 6th in Football Outsiders' Defensive DVOA in 2017), and having Allen start in Green Bay against Aaron Rodgers simply wouldn't be doing right by the young quarterback. 

Even one month on the sideline would be much more beneficial to Allen's chance to succeed in the NFL in Buffalo than starting him right away.

Good take on week #5.  

Peterman will play his way out of a job.  He is a guy that probably looks great in film room but his JV arm has no place on a NFL field. 

11 minutes ago, Figster said:

Allen is fearless when it comes to making any throw.

I'm not hating it...

Exactly.  Even Allen at his absolute best will not be another Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers with pure accuracy all the time.  I see him being in the gunslinger mold of a Brett Favre where he will throw a bad pick here and there but he will also make some absolute beauties that will make it all worth it.  If our defense ends up being as good as I think it can be and they bring in some weapons for Allen and shore up the offensive line I am absolutely fine with having that kind of QB.  Will make for some exciting ball games 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Exactly.  Even Allen at his absolute best will not be another Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers with pure accuracy all the time.  I see him being in the gunslinger mold of a Brett Favre where he will throw a bad pick here and there but he will also make some absolute beauties that will make it all worth it.  If our defense ends up being as good as I think it can be and they bring in some weapons for Allen and shore up the offensive line I am absolutely fine with having that kind of QB.  Will make for some exciting ball games 

Jim machine gun Kelly was also of the gunslinger mold IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

A more athletic version of Big Ben would be an excellent outcome.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Do we ignore the 2 INT's yesterday?

Of course not, but one of the two interceptions was a catchable ball to Kelvin Benjamin that Benjamin tipped twice before the defender came down with it.

Let me make myself clear.  I don't think Josh Allen has won the starting QB battle by a long shot.  I'm not predicting he will.  I am saying that he has shown us the qualities the Bills liked about him when they drafted him, as well as the weaknesses he needs to correct.  The qualities that the Bills like include the facts that he is bright and coachable.  I think he is making some progress in addressing some of those weaknesses.  By addressing the weaknesses, he automatically helps his odds of being named the starter, but he's not there yet.   It's also clear that if he can fix his weaknesses, he has a far higher ceiling than McCarron or Peterman.  I'm hoping he can realize his potential eventually because if he does, he's far more likely to qualify as a franchise QB than McCarron or Peterman.

Edited by TigerJ
Additional comments.
  • Like (+1) 1