Did Anybody From WNY Know Terry and Kim Pegula Before 2010/2011?

I'm curious if anybody from here knew or knows anybody who knew Terry and Kim Pegula pre-2010, and definitely pre-fracking days. From what I understand Terry grew up in PA and became a Sabres fan somehow, and Kim is from Fairport. 

I'm curious to know what kind of people they and their families were back in the day. I just always found it odd that these people nobody every heard of came out of nowhere to buy the Sabres, claiming to be life long fans. And now they are the biggest investors in this city, and Kim Pegula, a woman whose resume is based on hearsay and her husband's success is taking over one of the highest positions on both sports teams. The fans deserve to vet them a little bit.

Edited by musichunch

7 minutes ago, musichunch said:

I'm curious if anybody from here knew or knows anybody who knew Terry and Kim Pegula pre-2010, and definitely pre-fracking days. From what I understand Terry grew up in PA and became a Sabres fan somehow, and Kim is from Fairport. 

I'm curious to know what kind of people they and their families were back in the day. I just always found it odd that these people nobody every heard of came out of nowhere to buy the Sabres, claiming to be life long fans. And now they are the biggest investors in this city, and Kim Pegula, a women who's resume is based on hearsay and her husband's success is taking over one of the highest positions on both sports teams. The fans deserve to vet them a little bit.

Terry lived near Buffalo for a number of years and had Sabres seasons tickets while he was here.    Nothing nefarious...

Edited by Lurker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Terry lived in Buffalo for a number of years and had Sabres seasons tickets while he was here.    Nothing nefarious...

That's what I'm asking. Who remembers him, and what do they remember about him and his character. 

I can ask that question about every successful person in WNY or from WNY and somebody will chime in and remember them. But I've never heard anything from anybody about the Pegulas. We're allowed to ask these questions. 

Edited by musichunch

I have a family member who works with a firm that rents out heavy construction equipment for a variety of jobs, including well-drilling. He finds himself in PA quite a bit and through the companies and people he's talked to, he's heard that T-Pegs has always been a "behind the scenes" type of person. Evidently, the guy has a real innate ability to crunch numbers and run a business with a slightly different perspective than most. I guess he's very much about letting the results of the hard work put in by the people he employs be the main focus of his enterprises. He also puts trust in the people he hires for top positions. He prefers to find the right people, deliver his expectations of them and then get out of their way and let them do their job. I'd say this is definitely a good thing when it comes to the Bills and Sabres. They've stumbled a little bit out of the gate with people like Whaley, Ryan, Regier, etc. but hopefully now they've "got their guys" in the right positions. The way he prefers to run things is also probably why they haven't spoken publicly on Brandon. I've heard Terry was "highly disappointed" while Kim was pretty PO'ed given that she gave Brandon the chance to be honest with her and he lied. Being a "behind the scenes" guy also explains why he isn't great in interviews and in speaking with the press. But for all intents and purposes, they genuinely seem like good people who have built quite the business empire over the last 25+ years.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I think the posters on this board deserve to vet you.  I'll start.

You're an idiot.

'Excuse me, I'd like to set up a meeting with Mr. and Mrs. Pegula....yeah, it's regarding their prospective ownership of the Bills and Sabres. No, no, I'm a fan and we're doing some vetting of candidates, just due diligence type stuff...well, me and a couple hundred thousand other fans are curious as to...oh, they're busy running a multibillion dollar enterprise, I see. Well, can I schedule something for...no, again, I'm a fan on behalf of the rest of the fans, and I though I would...yeah, I'm not doing anything important today, I can hold.'

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why are people so skeptical of the Pegulas?  I see no reason for doubting them, when by all accounts they are good people, and they have stepped up in the community in such a major way.  

Nevertheless, there are plenty of good background articles out there, here are some from a few years ago-

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2015/08/23/kim-pegula-making-difference-adopted-hometown/32166573/

http://13wham.com/news/special-reports/kim-pegula

“If I ever have more than two nickels to my name, I’m going to buy the Buffalo Sabres one day.”  - Terry Pegula 1983 - http://www.yourenergyblog.com/terry-pegula-a-fracking-billionaire/

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, musichunch said:

I'm curious to know what kind of people they and their families were back in the day. I just always found it odd that these people nobody every heard of came out of nowhere to buy the Sabres, claiming to be life long fans. And now they are the biggest investors in this city, and Kim Pegula, a woman whose resume is based on hearsay and her husband's success is taking over one of the highest positions on both sports teams. The fans deserve to vet them a little bit.

Me Terry and I  hang occasionally

I actually introduced him to Kim. Great girl. We're having BBQ this weekend down in there Florida home.. Awesom pad I might add

Edited by ddaryl

Bought the teams. Pledged to keep the teams in Buffalo. Invested heavily in a down on its luck city. What more do you need to know ? You don't deserve to know anything about their personal lives.

Are you the gate keeper of Western NY? 

That being said, here's some info you could have found yourself:

Fairport native Kim Pegula Pegula from orphan to owner

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/32166573

Edited by Billschinatown

56 minutes ago, musichunch said:

You'll get a lot of flak from posters here who view the Bills as their religion and Terry as its high priest.

How dare you even think to inquire about them!  

You'd think this was the 15th century Catholic church.  Heretic! 

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I have a family member who works with a firm that rents out heavy construction equipment for a variety of jobs, including well-drilling. He finds himself in PA quite a bit and through the companies and people he's talked to, he's heard that T-Pegs has always been a "behind the scenes" type of person. Evidently, the guy has a real innate ability to crunch numbers and run a business with a slightly different perspective than most. I guess he's very much about letting the results of the hard work put in by the people he employs be the main focus of his enterprises. He also puts trust in the people he hires for top positions. He prefers to find the right people, deliver his expectations of them and then get out of their way and let them do their job. I'd say this is definitely a good thing when it comes to the Bills and Sabres. They've stumbled a little bit out of the gate with people like Whaley, Ryan, Regier, etc. but hopefully now they've "got their guys" in the right positions. The way he prefers to run things is also probably why they haven't spoken publicly on Brandon. I've heard Terry was "highly disappointed" while Kim was pretty PO'ed given that she gave Brandon the chance to be honest with her and he lied. Being a "behind the scenes" guy also explains why he isn't great in interviews and in speaking with the press. But for all intents and purposes, they genuinely seem like good people who have built quite the business empire over the last 25+ years.

That's what I was looking for. Thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You'll get a lot of flak from posters here who view the Bills as their religion and Terry as its high priest.

Yea that's what happened. 

31 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Kim told me I looked nice one day when I was out for a walk. I was wearing my favorite jean vest. No sleeves of course.

So that’s something.

Did you ask her if she had tickets to the gun show?

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It's some sort of low self esteem thing. Wealthy people are better than us, and we don't deserve to know anything about the people that are running this city. We have as much right to know as anybody else. 

3 minutes ago, musichunch said:

It's some sort of low self esteem thing. Wealthy people are better than us, and we don't deserve to know anything about the people that are running this city. We have as much right to know as anybody else. 

I wonder what makes you assume that Kim Pegula, who grew up in Fairport, isn't really a Western New Yorker. 

Thoughts? 

Again:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/32166573

1 hour ago, musichunch said:

When it comes to family businesses a lot of times the resume tends to be less than critical.  If Kim can't cut it the outcome will be evident rather soon.  I don't think anybody deserves to vet them other than with expenditures relative to their businesses.  Thank God we don't live in a totalitarian society where a person's life and livelihood is the direct business of others including the government.  All that aside I am sure that the other NFL owners vetted them plenty prior to being approved to purchase the Bills.  Given the PC climate today I doubt the Pegula's would have made it if there were red flags existing in terms of personal conduct.  I have known people who have taken on local franchises for national corporations and the vetting for that is very intense so I can only imagine how much more difficult it is to jump through all the hoops of being an NFL owner.  Back in the old days it did not take much more than interest in the sport to own an NFL franchise but the NFL has learned from failed owners as it has evolved from a good ole boys club to a multi-billion dollar business.

41 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Why are people so skeptical of the Pegulas?  I see no reason for doubting them, when by all accounts they are good people, and they have stepped up in the community in such a major way.  

Nevertheless, there are plenty of good background articles out there, here are some from a few years ago-

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2015/08/23/kim-pegula-making-difference-adopted-hometown/32166573/

“If I ever have more than two nickels to my name, I’m going to buy the Buffalo Sabres one day.”  - Terry Pegula 1983 - http://www.yourenergyblog.com/terry-pegula-a-fracking-billionaire/

I just found the D&C article and posted it in another thread.

I wish I would of found it earlier.  It's a great place to get an insight of Kim and Terry Pegula.

Thanks for the other articles!

55 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

What was Brandon supposed to be honest about?  Did you get the story of what the misconduct entailed....allegedly, of couse

I don't know Kim, but I know her brother and father quite well ... and they know me and my wife by name. It is a great family and highly invested in everything WNY.

I'm kind of annoyed at the sexism displayed by those who insist that she must prove herself to random fans ... 

• Like (+1) 8

Long time lurker here, might I add the sports reporter, originally from the southern portion of "ski country", may have a very close connection to Terrance.  Maybe not.  Back to lurking, Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

I don't know Kim, but I know her brother and father quite well ... and they know me and my wife by name. It is a great family and highly invested in everything WNY.

I'm kind of annoyed at the sexism displayed by those who insist that she must prove herself to random fans ... 

Every fan is invested in that team emotionally, and what it means to the community is priceless. We have every right to know who's running it. Nobody ever really asked and I'm not one to look the other way just because you kept the team in Buffalo. When a developer wants to build a park, he needs the permission of the associations around it. They have the right to ask questions. Why can't we? Why should we be cool with some billionaire treating the team we love like his own personal toy, putting his wife in charge, and not telling us anything?

I personally believe the Buffalo Bills belong to the fans 100%. I believe the team should be publicly owned. 

As for sexist, think of it more as nepotism.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, musichunch said:

The Pegula's have been owners for a few years now and you want to vet them? Where have you been?

2 minutes ago, musichunch said:

Every fan is invested in that team emotionally, and what it means to the community is priceless. We have every right to know who's running it. Nobody ever really asked and I'm not one to look the other way just because you kept the team in Buffalo. When a developer wants to build a park, he needs the permission of the associations around it. They have the right to ask questions. Why can't we? Why should we be cool with some billionaire treating the team we love like his own personal toy, putting his wife in charge, and not telling us anything?

I personally believe the Buffalo Bills belong to the fans 100%. I believe the team should be publicly owned. 

As for sexist, think of it more as nepotism.  

"I'm curious to know what kind of people they and their families were back in the day."

What do you really want to know? Kim's qualifications? Or who they are as people? 

Again, great people, great family, and I know for sure that her brother and father have always bled Bills' red white and blue.

59 minutes ago, musichunch said:

It's sort of an intelligence thing...learning how to use the Google machine and so forth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

My daughter is always keeping an eye out at her Publix in Boca for them, but i have a sneaking suspicion they don't buy their groceries from that store.   

Probably brings things down via the private jet from Wegman's.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, One Buffalo said:

We are ingrained to think we are getting screwed and people have nefarious intentions. We also need a villain with Russ gone.

2 hours ago, musichunch said:

The reality is I can give you a few billion reasons why there is no vetting taking place.

I can also give you a few billion reasons why they have "cred".

In answering your question a friend of my went to work for them back in the aughts.  She had gone to school with Kim.  After she got the job she told me how incredibly nice they were through the process and all the while she was telling me about them I didn't know who the hell she was talking about.