Maybe the Jills did not have it so bad....

Like I said in the other thread, retire this tired dinosaur of the past, at least with respect to the NFL.

Do you remember The Comeback?  

Do you remember Andre's touchdowns?

Do you remember the cheer leads?

Yeah...that's my point.

...and shame on Washington.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Do you remember the cheer leads?

I remember a pre-season game years ago when they did their "look at us" dance routine between the 3rd and 4th quarters. They came out with chairs, and proceeded to do a strip club lap dance routine. I think someone said something because I never saw that routine again. 

WGR was talking within the past couple days about how unfair the Saints organization was to their cheerleaders, too. 

Basically their rules put all the onus on the cheerleaders to prevent any unwanted interactions with players, so much so that if a cheerleader were out somewhere eating lunch and a player walked in, the rules dictated that it was the cheerleader's responsibility to immediately get up and leave the establishment...

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

NFL should establish boundaries for teams which choose to have cheerleaders.

I disagree with others in that cheerleaders are unneeded in professional sports.  Some of the fans are really dumb and need help knowing when to be making noise and when not.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

You would think in this day and age the whole idea of having cheerleaders would be seen as a source of problems for any ball club.  The whole concept is ripe for the #metoo movement to just rip to shreds.  

I am shocked the spotlight hasn't yet forced the NFL to abondon the practice given the current social environment.  There will be no NFL cheerleaders in 5-10 years.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

You would think in this day and age the whole idea of having cheerleaders would be seen as a source of problems for any ball club.  The whole concept is ripe for the #metoo movement to just rip to shreds.  

The other side of the coin, though, is that a lot of women are passionate about cheerleading and love to do it.

There was a documentary piece about this on HBO (Real Sports maybe?) a while ago.  The male interviewer was asking a cheerleader "Why do you do it?" basically saying "Who would you do this?" given the fact that the cheerleaders are screwed over, make no pay, it's viewed as condescending to women by a lot of people, etc...

The cheerleader's response was sobering!  She had this serious, sad look in her eyes and said "I do it for the love of cheering."

You could tell this was a really important part of her life, in a way I would not have expected.  Like wow, some people take being a cheerleader really seriously? 

Overall, not sure anyone really needs cheerleader or that they add very much to the entertainment product.

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I remember a pre-season game years ago when they did their "look at us" dance routine between the 3rd and 4th quarters. They came out with chairs, and proceeded to do a strip club lap dance routine. I think someone said something because I never saw that routine again. 

Probably got in trouble for some old guys having heart attacks. 

53 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

Rumor is they actually did have it bad as they had to have weekly meeting in Russ Bandon's office.

I was waiting for this ... 

16 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The other side of the coin, though, is that a lot of women are passionate about cheerleading and love to do it.

There was a documentary piece about this on HBO (Real Sports maybe?) a while ago.  The male interviewer was asking a cheerleader "Why do you do it?" basically saying "Who would you do this?" given the fact that the cheerleaders are screwed over, make no pay, it's viewed as condescending to women by a lot of people, etc...

The cheerleader's response was sobering!  She had this serious, sad look in her eyes and said "I do it for the love of cheering."

You could tell this was a really important part of her life, in a way I would not have expected.  Like wow, some people take being a cheerleader really seriously? 

Overall, not sure anyone really needs cheerleader or that they add very much to the entertainment product.

When done right, Cheerleading is a bona fide sport.  It takes talent, hard work, and can actually be quite dangerous.  Having that as a part of the entertainment - at appropriate times (e.g., during TV timeout) - would be a positive for the NFL.  Unfortunately, that's not the kind of "cheerleading" offered by NFL teams.  Having grown women doing silly little dance routines is unnecessary, and ends up being annoying when the actual game is being played.  I too am amazed the practice has survived into 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I was waiting for this ... 

When done right, Cheerleading is a bona fide sport.  It takes talent, hard work, and can actually be quite dangerous.  Having that as a part of the entertainment - at appropriate times (e.g., during TV timeout) - would be a positive for the NFL.  Unfortunately, that's not the kind of "cheerleading" offered by NFL teams.  Having grown women doing silly little dance routines is unnecessary, and ends up being annoying when the actual game is being played.  I too am amazed the practice has survived into 2018.

Exactly. The NFL version is not actual cheerleading. Actual competitive cheerleaders will tell you that it is a crazy difficult gymnastic sport. The NFL features dance troupes, not cheerleaders by the definition of the sport. NFL cheerleaders are to cheering as my getting in my car and driving to work is to NASCAR. 

Cheerleaders bring something positive to the game experience. However, if they are to be exploited in any manner, I say sack the idea of cheerleaders. Whatever happened to appreciating beautiful women but treating them with respect...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

41 minutes ago, QB12 said:

Cheerleaders bring something positive to the game experience. However, if they are to be exploited in any manner, I say sack the idea of cheerleaders. Whatever happened to appreciating beautiful women but treating them with respect...

Lets be honest here if they werent attactive women no one would care they were there. Guys just want to look at them cause they are attractive and dancing around.  Now im not saying there is anything wrong with that..but thats the truth.  In the NFL cheerleaders are eye candy...this is not cheerleading as a sport.  

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Exactly. The NFL version is not actual cheerleading. Actual competitive cheerleaders will tell you that it is a crazy difficult gymnastic sport. The NFL features dance troupes, not cheerleaders by the definition of the sport. NFL cheerleaders are to cheering as my getting in my car and driving to work is to NASCAR. 

Yep..and also extremely dangerous.  Thise cheerleaders are no joke and very tough.

working for nothing is bad enough but this is uber creepy. The NFL's attempt to cover it's ass and claim ignorance is equally deplorable. I think cheerleading is an essential part of football culture and should be treated as dignified work. I miss the Jills. They were great ambassadors

22 hours ago, Just Jack said:

25,000 posts!

19 hours ago, stuvian said:

working for nothing is bad enough but this is uber creepy. The NFL's attempt to cover it's ass and claim ignorance is equally deplorable. I think cheerleading is an essential part of football culture and should be treated as dignified work. I miss the Jills. They were great ambassadors

Exactly, I don’t understand people saying that the #metoo movement will destroy cheerleading. There is nothing inherently wrong with cheerleading itself. It’s the creeepy dudes who take things way too far. To say that the #metoo movement must destroy cheerleading is saying that harassment and cheerleading must go hand in hand. The mere existence of cheerleaders doesn’t mean that guys are forced to take advantage of them. 

20 hours ago, stuvian said:

I agree with all your points but cheerleaders are not essential at all in the NFL.  Are the Bills selling less tickets because the Jills are gone? And again this is mot cheerleading as a sport its just parading pretty women around.

On 5/2/2018 at 4:53 PM, Skins Malone said:

Cheerleaders in professional sports makes no sense to me.  They just aren't needed.  With that said they should be treated with the same amount of respect as any employee.

...and certainly paid accordingly......

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and certainly paid accordingly......

Agreed.  If a team decides they want them pay them and treat them like all your employees.  I dont think they are needed but i know people really liked seeing the Jills out at events and such.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Enough of all this white knighting. 

I am a man who likes looking at women 

One vote for yes to cheerleaders!    Especially the jiggly ones.  I like them around on game day.  

...I'm thinking blurred vision by around 10AM could be a visual impediment.....just sayin'............

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Enough of all this white knighting. 

I am a man who likes looking at women 

One vote for yes to cheerleaders!    Especially the jiggly ones.  I like them around on game day.  

Well you wont be seeing any jiggly cheerleaders at New Era Field.  I love some guys act like they have never seen an attactive woman before.  Look around the stands im sure there are some hotties for ya.

Edited by Skins Malone

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I want pics

Me too and hot cheerleaders are exactly what this team needs rather than that stupid band.  They need to import them from the strip clubs in Canada.   

• Haha (+1) 1

Gee... A team that uses it's nickname as a symbol of the exploitation and cultural appropriation of other's are treating people unfairly? Not just "on paper" anymore? I never thought it was possible. No.  Can't be, they must respect the cheerleaders as they do their honorable team symbok.  I guess they started somewhere.