RD 6, 187 Ray-Ray McCloud - WR Clemson

The people calling a 4.5 guy "slow" are cracking me up.  First, a laser-timed 4.5 is absolutely cooking.  A guy running a 4.5 vs a guy in the mid-4.4's is not much different in gamespeed, yet fans (and too many GM's) lose their minds and clamor for the 4.45 guy over a 4.5 guy.  Second, Ray Ray has been timed significantly lower than the 4.53 everyone is throwing around.  Reportedly a sub-4.4 at some point.  Third, if you have ever bothered to watch much Clemson football you would know he's an absolute playmaker and is one of those guys who just plays fast and with quick-twitch.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mopreme said:

Green Bay did, they drafted EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN and MARQUEZ VALDES-SCANTLING.  

St Brown has a drug issue

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m higher on Ray-Ray than most of you. He was the playmaker for Clemson. He returns punts and makes plays. I said it in another thread but he reminds me of the h-backs in Urban Meyer’s offense. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he helped this team.

Yeah you can’t judge these guys from elite programs on their production. If they are are playing at Clemson, they are worth a look. Cream of the crop talent, there is so much that it’s tough to get the ball to everyone. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

St. Brown, Harold Landry both showed inconsistent effort at times during their college careers. It was widely noted on scouting reports and both players dropped quite a bit in the draft. Beane and McD won’t be drafting a single player with those words attached, just my guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

St. Brown, Harold Landry both showed inconsistent effort at times during their college careers. It was widely noted on scouting reports and both players dropped quite a bit in the draft. Beane and McD won’t be drafting a single player with those words attached, just my guess. 

In the 6th round, that’s exactly where you draft those guys.  We drafted a project qb 7th overall who’s best strength is his arm.  Why not get a project wr who is as physically talented as any wr in the draft to grow with?  The two wrs we got are pretty much finished projects.

if there was a way, I’d put a lot down on ESJ having a better nfl career than Ray Ray and Ricky’s son.

I have no problems with the pick. If he sticks it's because he's a natural playmaker who will give our return game a much needed boost and possibly also develop into a versatile backup contributor at WR and a guy who can occasionally be plugged into sets/special packages designed to get him in space. I like the Proehl pick too. 

I mentioned in the other thread but this dude was a running back in high school and I could see him being a Dion Lewis type of back who can catch balls out of the backfield, run the ball a bit, and play in the slot. If Daboll takes a Pats approach to our offense, a player like this makes a ton of sense. I think McCloud, Proehl, Foster all make this team. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In the 6th round, that’s exactly where you draft those guys.  We drafted a project qb 7th overall who’s best strength is his arm.  Why not get a project wr who is as physically talented as any wr in the draft to grow with?  The two wrs we got are pretty much finished projects.

if there was a way, I’d put a lot down on ESJ having a better nfl career than Ray Ray and Ricky’s son.

Maybe you misread what I wrote, I’m not sure that your response addressed the actual point. Lazy is a deal breaker for these guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

What if he is looked at as a RB in the system ,????

Maybe the (very) occasional misdirection to get him in space and where he lines up as a slot receiver or off the line but given his size/weight I have trouble seeing him in a pro backfield,

Roscoe Parrish 2.0 (except slower).

Actually, he's more Wes Welker than Parrish.

McCloud   /   Welker
Height - 5 ' 9   /  -5 ' 9

Weight - 190lbs / 195lbs

40 Yd Dash - 4.53 / 4.55

Broad Jump - 113.0 inches / 113.0 inches

Only difference is statistically on the field, as McCloud didn't do nearly as much (he wasn't ever a real focus) compared to Welker (who played in an air-raid offense).

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I mentioned in the other thread but this dude was a running back in high school and I could see him being a Dion Lewis type of back who can catch balls out of the backfield, run the ball a bit, and play in the slot. If Daboll takes a Pats approach to our offense, a player like this makes a ton of sense. I think McCloud, Proehl, Foster all make this team. 

Which speaks to the Bills lack of depth at WR just as much as their talent

On 4/28/2018 at 1:02 PM, Domdab99 said:

well that was a waste of a pick. I'm 5'10"  and taller than this guy. Almost faster, too. 

This guy was projected as an UFA. 

Not good. 

This was a snap comment based on Ray Ray's size....but I've come around. Sounds like he could be a nice pick-up. Could really use a good return guy and both Ray Ray and Proel could be our own Welker. Edleman types of player. 

On 4/28/2018 at 4:02 PM, Domdab99 said:

well that was a waste of a pick. I'm 5'10"  and taller than this guy. Almost faster, too. 

This guy was projected as an UFA. 

Not good. 

You are not even close to being faster. lol... The Bills will use him at RB, slot and returner. Kid could even play a little DB if needed. For a 6th round pick and being able to play multiple positions its a good value pick. 

9 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

This was a snap comment based on Ray Ray's size....but I've come around. Sounds like he could be a nice pick-up. Could really use a good return guy and both Ray Ray and Proel could be our own Welker. Edleman types of player. 

Well, if the QB throwing to him, is Brady, Rodgers or Roth! 

But yet again, the Bills have a QB with THE millennium competency, deficiency- Accuracy! At least now, we have one who can see over the O line! ?

But still these Smurfs with jets are simply rendered invisible and useless during the last half of the season in Buffalo- when the weather outside becomes frightful. And they become brittle in the freezing cold, when the ball sails and they get hung out and crushed by the Corner/Safety!

The standard operating rule for OBD this entire Reign of Error should be, if you're not at least 6-1, see ya! 

I hope I'm wrong...

19 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Maybe you misread what I wrote, I’m not sure that your response addressed the actual point. Lazy is a deal breaker for these guys. 

I don't think Biscuit really cares about high character players or culture or "trusting the process".   He cares more about measurables and raw talent sort of fan.    If I'm wrong,  please correct me.

Which is why he is not a fan of McD/Beane.

I value the importance of "process", culture and character.  I see it in my life, I see and have seen it in every single successful team or organization that I have been in.   I just think back to my days when I played soccer in North Carolina and I was part of an all star team that played competitive state wide and national tournaments.  We were 3 time state and 2 time regional champs in the years I was with them.  We had been playing together for over  8 years and the whole program created a culture.  A culture that demanded the players to play a certain way of controlled aggression.  The players demanded it of each other, we never took practices lightly.   Any new member to the team that joined felt those expectations.     This is just a small example of creating a culture, god knows how much more that is magnified in the pros.    

To me, it looks like the Bills are drafting guys that for the most part have shown leadership qualities who are high effort.  And they are selecting guys with decent to good athleticism.  So it's not as if they are just selecting a bunch of high character guys with uninspiring athleticism.  I like what they are doing and I trust their judgment.    At least the guys now in charge have a clear and concise plan of what they want and they are executing that plan with filling the roster with their guys.   I don't know if it will pan out but I'm good with what they are doing and I'm optimistically hopeful.

• Like (+1) 1

The number of people here who are losing their minds over a Slot/ST/RB hybrid guy from Clemson we picked in the 6th round is hilarious.  Too many of you get hung up on measureables instead of looking at football skills.  Ray Ray is a really good football player, especially for a 6th round pick.

On 4/29/2018 at 6:09 AM, Avisan said:

Yikes.  Dude is slow.  No extra gear when he hits open field.  He's not going to be able to just juke his way through NFL players.

Umm, he didn't get into the "open field" until 50 yards after the catch, when he had expended a ton of energy bobbing and weaving his way through defenders and cutting back across the field.  To come away from watching that play and use it to say he's slow is silly.

21 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Loading up on slot receivers is strange to me - Allen's weakness is that he lacks touch on short crossing routes - that will need to be corrected ASAP.

It’s similar to trading Sammy and putting Tyrod in a WCO.  

I trust them on defense but are we sure they know what they are doing on offense?  Last year was not a good start.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s similar to trading Sammy and putting Tyrod in a WCO.  

I trust them on defense but are we sure they know what they are doing on offense?  Last year was not a good start.

WRs generally aren't stellar their first year. How long did it take Eric Moulds to develop?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

WRs generally aren't stellar their first year. How long did it take Eric Moulds to develop?

Yeah, takes a bit usually, unless they are legit top of the draft guys, and even then they usually start as wr2 or need to have some other WRs to keep from being double covered all the time

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Yeah, takes a bit usually, unless they are legit top of the draft guys, and even then they usually start as wr2 or need to have some other WRs to keep from being double covered all the time

Look how long it took Moulds to figure it out.

I'll be talking to a big Clemson fan in 30 min. I'll get his take on Ray-Ray.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Look how long it took Moulds to figure it out.

I'll be talking to a big Clemson fan in 30 min. I'll get his take on Ray-Ray.

I'd like to hear that.

Know you're usually very high on bama guys, what do you think of Ridley?

I think he's going to have a good rookie year, being opposite Jones should give him a lot of single coverages

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'd like to hear that.

Know you're usually very high on bama guys, what do you think of Ridley?

I think he's going to have a good rookie year, being opposite Jones should give him a lot of single coverages

Ridley is a stud. He gets open and makes plays. He’s a clutch playeree and he rarely drops the ball.

I’m pleased we picked up Foster. He’s a good player, he just didn’t get many touches because Alabama is loaded. I think he sticks.

• Like (+1) 1