RD 6, 187 Ray-Ray McCloud - WR Clemson

3 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Pick did not make sense.  He ran poorly at the combine for whatever reason.  Ran at this pro day and allegedly scouts told him they had him in high 4.3's or low 4.4's.  Has elite change of direction skills.  One article I saw said "not the next Tyreek Hill after all" - so at least somebody thought he was.  He is a gadget runner/pass catcher and return guy.  Interesting piece.  4.56 made no sense, but if he is 4.40 it does.

Hope that's the case, 4.3 or 4.4 and I'm alright with it. 6th round... is wat it is.

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

My only confusion is that we seem to have a clear and concise vision for this team.  It seemed, re: WRs, that was Size and Catch Radius.  

This guy is tiny and not very fast if we were looking for a burner. 

I’ve seen him play a lot. He has a specific skill set so clearly we drafted him for a reason.  

With a position that has 6 guys, you can have differing skill sets. The prototype can still be big guys with a gadget player or (gulp) water bug in the depth chart 

5 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

SOMETHING must be up with St Brown forever team to continually pass him up. At this point,  I wonder if he gets drafted.

It happens. WR, and big school wr, often slide up fans boards because the get the best highlight videos. Then you get 120 guys projected as round 3-4 suddenly. Not counting the small school guys that slide into actual draft boards but not in our chatter.

Even a guy like our own Stevie Johnson slid from mid round to 7th. Once you get past the unique talents there’s a lot of guys that are interchangeable and scouts catch on ones they happen to like for whatever reason

Edited by NoSaint

Telling you the WRs are going to come after the draft as UDFA and Vet Cuts.  Watch Den with how many WRs they drafted to move away from some of their WRs.  Have some high priced VETs too.  Very rarely going to find any impact player for the upcoming year in the 6th and 7th round.

Edited by MAJBobby

Not in love with him as a WR, but if our defense is as dominant as we believe it will be, Ray Ray is not a guy that opposing teams will want to punt to.  Not a burner but his tight space shiftiness is absurd.  

Do you know who else was 5’10 190 with a 4.5 40 and primarily a return man?

Antonio Brown.

Dude was a stud running back in high school, and he runs with the ball like one.  Also has great hands (watch his combine video).  You could do a lot worse in the 6th round.

Edited by Mikey152

2 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Almost nobody thinks they drafted him to play wr.  All you haters should be ashamed of yourselves.

Well if they aren't going to use him as a WR, and kickoff returns are being taken out of the game, they just used a 6th round pick on a punt returner?  :o

Edited by LabattBlue

1 minute ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Equanimeous still available and they take this guy?

There's a receiver like this every year, that was projected to be a 3-4th rounder, goes 7th-UFA, and is never heard from again.

I think they are hoping Ray-Ray is a Sproles/Woodhead type of player.  

I'll take that in the 6th

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not in love with him as a WR, but if our defense is as dominant as we believe it will be, Ray Ray is not a guy that opposing teams will want to punt to.  Not a burner but his tight space shiftiness is absurd.  

At this point we are angling towards being a team that hopes to hold the opponent to 10 and break two big plays on offense. As a 6th rounder if he might get 2-3 of those 32 big plays, it’s a win! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Well if they aren't going to use him as a WR, and kickoff returns are being taken out of the game, they just used a 6th round pick on a punt returner?  :o

Better than trading up for Kickers and Punters.  OOOO Also talk is a transition to defense.

Well if they aren't going to use him as a WR and kickoff returns are being taken out of the game, they just used a 6th round pick on a punt returner?  :o

If you get a someone to contribute with a 6 that's a win.  I don't care if they're just a longsnapper.

He doesn't just do returns on st either.

Just now, Steve Billieve said:

If you get a someone to contribute with a 6 that's a win.  I don't care if they're just a longsnapper.

Waste of a roster spot if he can't contribute as a WR(which you said he won't), and can't be on coverage teams because he is a twig.

Waste of a roster spot if he can't contribute as a WR(which you said he won't), and can't be on coverage teams because he is a twig.

There is nothing saying he cannot contribute as a WR. So many of these type of players become good players in the NFL From Antonio Brown to Edleman Late Round gambles in this position can and do pay off.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lots of teams keep a spot for their returner.  and lots of teams don't like using one of their marque players for the job either.  He's played cb before.  Clemson put him out there on kick offs not just returns.  Was part of a lot of gimicy plays for them too.  And just because he will probably never be a starting wr doesn't mean he can't contribute at that position occasionally.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

....except the poster who I was responding to stated that he wasn't drafted to play WR. ;)

I think he said he was drafted to be a Return Man, didn't read anything saying he would not contribute as a WR

Just now, Steve Billieve said:

...And just because he will probably never be a starting wr doesn't mean he can't contribute at that position occasionally.

Well then you should have said that to begin with, instead of "they didn't draft him to be a WR".  Capiche?