RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

No one on the board should  let the talking heads or their YouTube scouting skills fool them.  We got the best QB in the draft save maybe Darnold.  There are just as many pundits who hold that view as there are those that don't.  So get on board.  

Plus, we basically used a free pick to get him in my view.  We got the pick from KC and I would still prefer Tre White to Mahomes.  So you start there with what I consider a free 21. Cordy was a salary dump that got us to 12.  Sammy they were not going to sign (and the Rams proved us right).  So instead of letting him walk with nothing as old admins would have done, we got a "free" 2 we put with the "free" 1 we got for taking Tre White over Mahomes.  Really, Allen cost us a second round pick beyond things we got for players we were not going to keep.  We can afford for him to fail and do it again - but I don't think he will.  Kid is a worker and has overcome a lot, undeniable athleticism.   And I think Rosen would be a nightmare.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Excellent, top to bottom. I was devastated yesterday, but not because I don't see the upside in Allen, but because Rosen is already a pro-QB imo. Totally agree on the footwork and vertical passing game component. 

I feel like some scouts kind of see a bradford type in rosen (Adequate starter, short passing rhythm guy), and see a potential newton/stafford/wentz (MVP caliber) in allen.  I'm also sure other scouts see a total project in Allen, and Matt Ryan in Rosen. 

Rosen's outspoken attitude isn't necessarily a bad thing - but it can be if it bleeds into confrontations with coaches, teammates, or the media.  I'm also not sure he was a great fit in Buffalo with his background.  We tend to dislike the silver spoon types in a still relatively blue collar community. 

The concussions are always a concern, as it just seems like they always end up happening again to QBs who get them, but even looking past that there are issues.  

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

You got that right.   What does he think these draftees do?    Watch Fox News 3-4 hours a day and look at Twitter?   

2 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

First rule of getting famous:

Never read your twitter comments. 

And twitter is a platform he's already on. Let alone seeking out a 3rd party fan board... :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I feel like some scouts kind of see a bradford type in rosen (Adequate starter, short passing rhythm guy), and see a potential newton/stafford/wentz (MVP caliber) in allen.  I'm also sure other scouts see a total project in Allen, and Matt Ryan in Rosen. 

Rosen's outspoken attitude isn't necessarily a bad thing - but it can be if it bleeds into confrontations with coaches, teammates, or the media.  I'm also not sure he was a great fit in Buffalo with his background.  We tend to dislike the silver spoon types in a still relatively blue collar community. 

The concussions are always a concern, as it just seems like they always end up happening again to QBs who get them, but even looking past that there are issues.  

Yeah, I wonder how much of the decision was related to the possibility that he could slip on a wet mat in TC, bump his noggin and POOF, his career is over? That concussion history really concerned me, probably more than most people... Maybe 5 years ago I wouldn’t be so sensitive to it, but you just hear so much about concussions these days...

(This is all part of trying to cope.) 

While I was in favor of Rosen I think this shows the mindset of Beane

The Bills would have gotten a very good QB in Rosen.  That would have been the safe pick.  Instead he is rolling the dice on Allen who could be great.  He may also be a bust.  He made the bold not safe bet.

• Like (+1) 1

All I wanted was a QB and an athletic LB who can be the leader/QB of the defense. Allen is OK, but not my favorite pick. Edmunds is very raw and young, but could be a stud Pro in a few years as he matures. I see him more as an outside guy, because he is not a quick thinker. More of a speedy hitter/pass rusher that can cover TE's and play on the outside, however he can man the middle if that is where they put him.

Note: We have a new identity. Big, strong and athletic. Star, Allen and Edmunds. We have a stout front 7 and a very good DB field.

1) I feel we overpaid for both players, but I understand why they did it. 

2) IF Josh Allen can improve his accuracy and anticipation, then he may be above average. I am not sure he is a winner. He seems more like a guy that can be good in several years. I Do Not see Allen as ever being a top 7 QB, more like a potential top 20 QB.

3) The defense to me looks very good and we can add more depth with undrafted players.

4) PLEASE draft offensive line next!!!

5) I am happy we have ALL of our picks next year. I am OK if we trade away next years 2nd rounder if we need another 3rd rounder this year.

6) It takes several years to build and develop an offense. This year we will Run Run Run and play bend but don't break defense, because our offense should be very weak.

7) Ready to be surprised again McBeane. Find another starter or two in this draft and spend the remaining money wisely!!!

8) I am not buying a Josh Allen jersey for a few years. I own Drew Bledsoe, Rob Johnson and Doug Flutie already, so I am not feeling it. McCoy is getting pricey old and should be gone by next year. Edmunds could be the guy? BTW, Barry Sanders is my only fathead on my son's wall. He was the classiest and most exciting player, so as a role model I need the full package. My favorite Bill was Steve Tasker and Bruce Smith second.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Really?

Manuel always looked almost like a robot throwing the football. Allen looks natural throwing it, he just needs to tighten things up.

But Manuel was definitely one of the reasons I didn't want Allen... not that he's the same player, just the same genre: a Project.

I knew that draft we'd reach for a quarterback and we didn't trade anything to get for him.  Allen we gave up two 2nd round picks for and we picked him nine picks higher.  Allen may have more upside, but I have little faith that it will work out.

The more I think about this, the more he sounds like Christian Hackenberg.  He looks like he should be awesome.  Everyone blamed everyone around him for why he wasn’t better, including his coach who became awesome after CH left.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-hackenberg-1.html

I want to be wrong.  But this is so risky for a top 10 pick.

Do ya’ll think that the Bills personnel folks asked Josh Allen to throw a football so they could see if he can hit where he is aiming?  Maybe have him throw a ball through a tire swing or something?  I’m hearing that this guy sprays around the ball wildly, and am wondering if this is news to our front office?

Edited by akm0404

1 hour ago, Figster said:

The way I see it Bills fans had 5 good QB's to pick from dividing the fan base up into 4 or 5 groups.

I understand being disappointed for not getting your preferred choice, but most reputable sports analysts agreed Josh Allen has the highest potential upside.

Calling it a blunder at this point is a little early in the process...

There was one A+ QB, two B+/A-, one C and a D. Predictably the Bills took the D.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I wish coach Bohl would have indicated that Allen could do some of the stuff Wetnz did (change protection, ect). My fear with Allen is not accuracy, I think he is a very accurate passer, it is football IQ. High completion percentage often have more to do with the intelligence to set up the play correctly and throw to the right person (things I think the Elite QB's do better than everyone else) and getting easy completions - this is where Allen will need to grow. 

I love the pick, and love that we didn't have to give up our other 1st rounder. 

Allen has certain tools that are better than arguably anyone in the history of the NFL draft. He has other areas that need MUCH work, obviously, but so do all of the QBs in this draft. 

Insanely strong arm, quick release, big, athletic and a hard worker with a chip on his shoulder. I like it.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yeah, I wonder how much of the decision was related to the possibility that he could slip on a wet mat in TC, bump his noggin and POOF, his career is over? That concussion history really concerned me, probably more than most people... Maybe 5 years ago I wouldn’t be so sensitive to it, but you just hear so much about concussions these days...

(This is all part of trying to cope.) 

I agree.

I like the current football player Josh Rosen much better than the current football player Josh Allen.  But we aren't getting the current football player, we are trying to get the next ten years.

Rosen is such a smart kid and from a smart well off family, that I could see him walking away after his first NFL concussion, and as a stationary pocket passer in the NFL, I unfortunately know that could come at any time.

Also, again coping here, Rosen would seem to be who he is, and I'm not quite sure that is more Matt Ryan than Ryan Mallett, and only time will tell.  But Allen has some exciting room to become something really special, so we have to dream the upside and see how soon we can make McCarron a backup, but patiently wait for the right time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I badly wanted Rosen as our QB.

But the vision of the rich kid from Cali getting his butt kicked over and over by Wilson, Jimmy G. and Goff in a division that has minimal impact on us is mildly amusing.

You wanted him, but you think he is going to get his “butt kicked”? Consider me confused. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I knew that draft we'd reach for a quarterback and we didn't trade anything to get for him.  Allen we gave up two 2nd round picks for and we picked him nine picks higher.  Allen may have more upside, but I have little faith that it will work out.

I don't think there was anyone legitimately projecting Manuel as a 1st round prospect.

We took Manuel purely for need in one of the weakest QB draft classes in recent history.

Almost every NFL evaluator views Allen as a 1st round prospect.

And make no mistake about it, Beane has been accumulating these draft picks primarily in order to get his Franchise QB.  It's obvious he had a price because he said in his PC yesterday the cost to get up higher than 7 was too high.  So trading away future draft picks combined with picks after the 1st round this year seemed off the table.

In the end, we traded 2 2nd round picks away in order to get Allen.  We only really have 2 gaping holes on this team: MLB and Franchise QB.  We got both and will still manage to have 7 picks in this draft by the end of Saturday, assuming we keep the rest of our picks where they are.

And ZERO future picks.

We can argue all day about other positions, but WR should be better than last year already, not that that's even very difficult.

On OL Groy and Bodine probably aren't huge steps back from Wood and Incognito. Dawkin's got another year experience and Mills was better last year than the year before.  Glenn never even saw the field last year.

RB we've upgraded.

TE's the same

DE's the same

DL we've upgraded

CBs are about the same

Safety is the same

OLB's are about the same

Franchise QB is the most important position, and I'm glad Beane traded up for one, even if he's really the guy I didn't want.  Those guys get paid to scout these players and know a helluva lot more about them than I do, and the more I look into Allen's kind of unique history and listen to him speak and watch the way he throws and listen to guys like Trent Dilfer and Jordan Palmer talk about him, I think maybe Allen can break the trend of the 1st round true project QB not evolving into Franchise QB.  I'm not utterly confident he will, but he's our QB now and I'm liking the kid and his work ethic and his demeaner and his natural ability, so I very much have hope he will.

And I'll also say this, when we traded up and I threw my phone because it was Allen and not Rosen, I'm now kinda happy we didn't draft Rosen.  I watched and listened to all his interviews after he fell to 10 and the Cardinals drafted him.  Holy crap... what a complete jackass!!!  That might be the homer in me talking and maybe if the Bills drafted him and he said the same thing, I'd say "I love his competitive fire!!!" but I don't really think so.... he just sounds like a complete dick, and I don't actually think he would have fit in WNY very well.

43 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Aces Mike Mayock's pop quiz.

Really shows off his football IQ here

Nice interview! He comes off very well there IMO. I like that he thanks his coaches, but mentions Palmer repeatedly without saying “HEY! I’ve barely even been coached up by real coaches!” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

I wish coach Bohl would have indicated that Allen could do some of the stuff Wetnz did (change protection, ect). My fear with Allen is not accuracy, I think he is a very accurate passer, it is football IQ. High completion percentage often have more to do with the intelligence to set up the play correctly and throw to the right person (things I think the Elite QB's do better than everyone else) and getting easy completions - this is where Allen will need to grow. 

There is another video in this thread where he discusses protections calls, etc. with Kirk Cousins. Mayock also mentions how he’s heard that Allen is doing very well with the Xs and Os during the evaluation process. I think he’s got the head for the game in that regard but he’s gotta learn to trust what he sees and pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

You wanted him, but you think he is going to get his “butt kicked”? Consider me confused. 

I think the NFC West could be the most competitive division in football over the next few years.  I don't feel the same way about the AFC East.  The Cardinals are a team in transition.

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There is another video in this thread where he discusses protections calls, etc. with Kirk Cousins. Mayock also mentions how he’s heard that Allen is doing very well with the Xs and Os during the evaluation process. I think he’s got the head for the game in that regard but he’s gotta learn to trust what he sees and pull the trigger.

I think it's more trusting the talent around him, which he hasn't had the luxury of in the past. I also think he's going to need to learn to dial it back a bit and take what the D gives you at times. He wants to throw the go on 3rd and 8, but in the NFL it pays to see that and take the 12 yard in instead.

2 hours ago, Dalton said:

While I was in favor of Rosen I think this shows the mindset of Beane

The Bills would have gotten a very good QB in Rosen.  That would have been the safe pick.  Instead he is rolling the dice on Allen who could be great.  He may also be a bust.  He made the bold not safe bet.

I wasnt even in favor of rosen. Durability is a question. Not sure how a Cali guy would adapt to Buffalo weather. I have Edwards flashbacks. If he really loves the game I think hes in the right place. I just didnt see him fitting in in bufflo.

I hated this pick, but it's cool with me now. I'm a Lamar Jackson, Josh Rosen, and Baker Mayfield guy even though we had absolutely no shot at Mayfield. Josh Allen is a Buffalo Bill now. His white racist butt better be able to play QB in this league. He didn't do much in college and Beane trading picks away for him was stupid AF. What an idiot. Allen was gonna be there at pick 12 without trading. Miami wasn't taking him. Good God. Stupid stupid stupid. Beane panicked.

11 minutes ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

None of the QBs selected are sure things.  I am just glad Beane was patient and picked his guy without having to give up a 1 this or next year. Two 2s was a bit steep, but what the  heck, he went and got his guy before someone else jumped him. For a QB, it was worth it. And I love Tree Main!

LOL Beane wasn't patient. Allen was gonna be there at 12 without trading.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

I hated this pick, but it's cool with me now. I'm a Lamar Jackson, Josh Rosen, and Baker Mayfield guy even though we had absolutely no shot at Mayfield. Josh Allen is a Buffalo Bill now. His white racist butt better be able to play QB in this league.

No he's not a white racist.  He made some stupid comments back when he was 14 years old.  He owned up to it and apologized a bunch of times already.  Sheesh, let it go already.

Y

1 minute ago, ThunderingHerd said:

No he's not a white racist.  He made some stupid comments back when he was 14 years old.  He owned up to it and apologized a bunch of times already.  Sheesh, let it go already.

Stop crying. Allen can defend himself, He's in the big boys league now. Sheesh.