On Draft NIght, My Better Half...

On Draft NIght, My Better Half...  

135 members have voted

1. 1. On draft night, my better half...

• leaves me the heck alone.
    • nags the crap out me, as usual.
    • watches the draft with me.
    • who the hell cares?

My wife rocks, and I'm not just saying that because she's sitting next to me. She has no interest in football and usually leaves me alone for the entire draft, but this year might be different.

Context: Last year, she happened to walk by as "dead grandma f-bomb guy" cast his pearls. The next day, I didn’t even realize she was in the room, when I heard, “Did that guy just wipe his booger on that little girl?” I wasn’t even watching at that moment, but, as I later learned, she witnessed Boogergate live. She was hooked.

I tried to explain that stupid stuff like that usually doesn’t happen (unless the camera is focusing on the NYJ section), but she just said, “How about we look at some highlights from the Big 4? I mean, one of them will be our QB, right?” So that’s what we’re about to do!

Wings, beer – daughter who turns 1 tomorrow decked out in Bills gear. And we’re going to get our franchise QB in about four hours. It doesn’t get much better than this! 
:beer:

Edited by Golden Goat
Typos
  • Like (+1) 6

My better half had the audacity to have her birthday today!!!  How could she?!?

Now I have to create the illusion that she is getting my undivided attention on her special day while checking the draft status every time she leaves the room or I go to the washroom.  I hope the Bills get their guy(s) and my relationship is still intact tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

Yeah, my fiancé watched the draft with me once, the year of the Sammy Watkins trade. We were at a bar watching it, and she was there with a friend. Once she realized how boring it was, she left after we were done eating. She hasn't watched a draft with me ever since.

1 minute ago, Forward Progress said:

Now I have to create the illusion that she is getting my undivided attention on her special day while checking the draft status every time she leaves the room or I go to the washroom.  I hope the Bills get their guy(s) and my relationship is still intact tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

dump her! Kidding, I would have tried to talk her to before hand and made plans for a nice dinner/whatever she likes to the days before the draft. 

Just now, JXCOL3 said:

The first round I watch alone on the big t.v. in my recliner, not being bothered. Tomorrow I have to go to dinner with her so I will rely on my cell phone with random check ups. Give and take right!?

Indeed, on Saturday I'm going with mine to see Phantom of the Opera at Shea's but the cell will be on vibrate but during intermission I'll be checking who we take. 

Crazy, I know, but I am PVR'ing the draft this year. Have to work until 7pm PST, so will be off social media.

My wife will have her very nice noise-canceling headphones and Netflix happening during the draft. She's a legend of a human.

She won't listen to a word I say about the draft.   A lot like around here, actually.

Anyway, I told her I was watching the draft tonight.  She was more or less dumbfounded.   All I know is she won't be sitting beside when the Bills trade up.  She'll miss all the fun. 

4 minutes ago, JXCOL3 said:

The first round I watch alone on the big t.v. in my recliner, not being bothered. Tomorrow I have to go to dinner with her so I will rely on my cell phone with random check ups. Give and take right!?

Just like me, except she has dinner plans with a friend, so she's leaving me home.   Give me your number and I'll text you updates.  

My wife is traveling, so it’s me and the dog. If she were NOT traveling, she would go to her she cave and completely ignore me, other than maybe a quick jab about how I could get so worked up about it.

My infant boys sat on my lap all swaddled up learning about the draft right after getting home from the hospital. You have to start the concept of eternal hope when they are young. 

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Indeed, on Saturday I'm going with mine to see Phantom of the Opera at Shea's but the cell will be on vibrate but during intermission I'll be checking who we take. 

I'm going there next Friday. Couldn't miss the draft.

My wife knows all about the big four. It's been a pretty regular occurrence for me to give her details and run-downs on them. She actually does an amazing job remembering and the other day I said something about a certain QB (without using names) and she guessed which one I was referring to like it was completely natural. She's perfect. 

We are going to my Parents house so I can watch with my dad. My guess is she will be siting beside me kind of half watching, half playing on the phone. 

My biggest concern is that my dad is a compulsive channel flipper. It's to the point where I hardly watch games with him cause I know he'll flip to golf right before something big happens. I wouldn't have chosen to watch with him, but he specifically asked, so I figured it was worth it... He probably knows better than to try and surf until at least pick 13. 

Also this is our first year married, so I voted based on my hope and not on past experience... 

Edited by whatdrought

12 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Crazy, I know, but I am PVR'ing the draft this year. Have to work until 7pm PST, so will be off social media.

PVR / Cable TV box deal here as well, given the draft starts at 10.00am in these parts. Won't get home until 6.00pm

The trick will be to not peek at my phone for most of the working day.

She is on the road.  She is also a 9ers fan.  She has grown to love Buffalo though.  Her first question will be if I think the 9ers did well.  Her next question will be what did I feed the boys.  She may get around to asking about the Bills but I doubt it. 

At least she is aware and somewhat knowledgeable.   All things considered, love her to the moon and back....

My wife is pretty cool. She laughs at how I set up the laptop and Ipad, and pokes her head in when I start screaming at the tv.  I used to hit the bars but now I stick close to home. She even made the trip to Toronto with me in 2009 (when we lived in Amherst) for the International Bowl, UConn vs UB. 

Edited by RFL

I've been following the Bills since the late 60's.  I can't remember people in WNY being so excited.  We got invited to a draft party tonight.  Should be fun.  

Hopefully after the trade-up tonight, the Bills still give us a reason to watch tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Forward Progress said:

Grab some ex-lax so you can stay in the washroom all night.

My wife isn't in to football. But she likes to make negative comments about random Bills players because she likes getting me worked up. She thinks it's funny.

But she pretty much just leaves me alone and does her own stuff. We're both pretty independent so we like having our own things to do.

But she has grown to love Jim Kelly because she has watched documentaries about him and thinks he is an inspirational guy with all he has been through.

Edited by MJS

My wife hates football and is super annoyed that I still watch shows about football after the season, lol. She especially hates the draft and said she should have gotten a hotel :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That said she usually leaves me alone with the occasional gripe.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

...my late wife developed a hatred for the Bills, stemming from the start of "the drought".."why are you watching those losers again?"...hell, she'd pick the 0-15 Lions vs Bflo FIRST on her parlay......having lost her in 2015 to an egregious hospital accident, I stay low key during the drafts when it comes to Bflo.....if not, she'll be beotching at me from somewhere.....some things never change....

• Sad 3