Forget Allen, Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold...Are You OK with Drafting Mason Rudolph?

Here is an interesting write-up from Sal Capaccio who mentions that Rudolph might be a QB that the Bills are considering.

It’s been very quiet over the past few days and that leads to be believe that they might be waiting to see how the board falls with the big 4 QB’s before making a move to trade up to see.  The risk there is when you wait, it opens the window for a team to leapfrog over you - almost like how the Jets jumped to #3.  

I think there’s an excellent that Rudolph is the pick at #12.  I would be disappointed if this happens.  If Rudolph was the guy the whole time, the Bills never should have traded up to 12.  

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/capaccio-rudolph-shouldnt-be-forgotten-man-bills-qb-mix

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Sad 1

Haha.  Yes.  Everybody with a TV thinks he's an expert around here.

Not one guy out there is flawless.  They all have positives and negatives.  As Beane said, itvdepends which flaws you can live with, and he is in a better position to judge than anyone here.

For all these guys, it's a 50:50 proposition.  And it comes down to whether they can handle the speed and complexity of the NFL. And you won't know until they try.

• Like (+1) 1

Rudolph, to me, will feel like when we took Losman. He was clearly a tier below the top guys but we were dead set on a QB so we took one in the 20’s. I’d be fine in the 2nd but wouldn’t love him at 22.

With that being said we really have no idea which of these guys will end up good. History says that some will and some won’t. I really don’t care who the Bills get as long as he ends up good. I am confident in the amount of time that Beane & co. has invested in this decision. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

If all those QB's are gone (including Jackson) by #12, I'd just take non qb's for the first three rounds and then take a flyer on a QB late in the draft.  I don't want that to happen, but I'm not a Rudolph fan.  It would be unpopular to take a "wait until next year" approach before picking your franchise QB, but in that situation you mine as well fill as many holes on your roster besides QB that you can.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that and the Bills move up and get the guy they want.

22 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Here is an interesting write-up from Sal Capaccio who mentions that Rudolph might be a QB that the Bills are considering.

It’s been very quiet over the past few days and that leads to be believe that they might be waiting to see how the board falls with the big 4 QB’s before making a move to trade up to see.  The risk there is when you wait, it opens the window for a team to leapfrog over you - almost like how the Jets jumped to #3.  

I think there’s an excellent that Rudolph is the pick at #12.  I would be disappointed if this happens.  If Rudolph was the guy the whole time, the Bills never should have traded up to 12.  

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/capaccio-rudolph-shouldnt-be-forgotten-man-bills-qb-mix

the bills didn't trade cordy to move up. it was the compensation vs. a pick.  also, they may end up having to trade spots with oakland just to get rudolph. i personally don't get the knocks on him. his body of work is second to no one except mayfield.

i've said it before, i think he can have a peyton manning type of career.

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Unless they...

A-are not targeting a QB with that pick.

B-plan on trading down from 12 and possibly up from 22.

Yes, but would prefer at 22. I think Rudolph is very underrated. He does some things in the pocket (sliding and stepping up) better than the other top qbs. Smart, competitive, mature, nice deep ball and has solid accuracy. 

The one problem I have is his lack of velocity on sideline routes. For a guy that is big and can throw the deep ball, his sideline velocity does not match up. Throws well over the middle on both short and intermediate routes. Maybe there is some mechanical fix to the sideline throws. There are times he gets it there but just too many instances where there is no juice. 

So they draft Rudolph and he becomes the starter.  Say they take him st 22, Smith at 11 and he's an All Pro MLB.  Get a lineman in round 2 that's All Pro.  And with that influx of talent plus FAs next year they win a Lombardi in '20.  I call that a success.

Anyone here can make up any story to fit their bias.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Sure hope we can trade up.  I like Rudolph, but all of the experts seem to think he's a backup caliber talent.  That won't cut it.  We need a franchise QB.

There are some experts that like Rudolph. Trent Dilfer thinks he is underrated and is very similar to Nick Foles. Steve Fairchild (ex OC) did a deep analysis on Rudolph and has him as a first round talent ahead of Jackson and Mayfield. Chris Trapasso at CBS has had Rudolph as his #1 qb. There are others but your point is generally true in that Rudolph is typically viewed In the second tier of qbs after the top 4 and Jackson. 

Edited by racketmaster

37 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I was just talking bout this on my Bills fans board on what's app. I believe Mason fits the Bill . He's the ultimate process guy he fits the hard working God fearing big strong pocket passer the Bills have been looking for.  Plus we dont have to give up anything to get him.  Now Mason might not be my personal choice but i can definitely see the fit.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

the bills didn't trade cordy to move up. it was the compensation vs. a pick.  also, they may end up having to trade spots with oakland just to get rudolph. i personally don't get the knocks on him. his body of work is second to no one except mayfield.

So he’s going to be a top 5 all-time QB? Sign me up!!

Of course we'd be upset if we don't get a top 4 QB, but even more so if we take him a round or 2 ahead of where he's projected and wasting a pick that we paid so much for. Throw in the fact that none of the 2019 QB's look very good and I don't see how Beane and McD keep their jobs beyond 2019. I'd just get a guy like Lauletta in the 4th or 5th as an emergency option.

Edited by GreggTX

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Of course we'd be upset if we don't get a top 4 QB, but even more so if we take him a round or 2 ahead of where he's projected and wasting a pick that we paid so much for. Throw in the fact that none of the 2019 QB's look very good and I don't see how Beane and McD keep their jobs beyond 2019.

How about if they make the playoffs again the next two years?  Do they have your permission to stay?

• Haha (+1) 1

Rudolph is a firm #5 on my preferences. Far behind Lamar Jackson at #4 but also far ahead of Josh Allen at #6. Drafting Allen is going to cause a very negative reaction on my part. Drafting Rudolph would be a big old MEH WHO CARES?

26 minutes ago, H2o said:

Nope. Rudolph's ceiling is Andy Dalton imo. His floor however is a middling backup type. We need to get Mayfield or Rosen and be done with it. 

I think Rudolph’s ceiling is more a guy like Philip Rivers. His floor is a Brandon Weeden. Probably ends up somewhere in the middle and has an Andy Dalton like career, but I do think there is a reasonable chance he could be better than Dalton. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Rudolph, to me, will feel like when we took Losman. He was clearly a tier below the top guys but we were dead set on a WB so we took one in the 20’s. I’d be fine in the 2nd but wouldn’t love him at 22.

With that being said we really have no idea which of these guys will end up good. History says that some will and some won’t. I really don’t care who the Bills get as long as he ends up good. I am confident in the amount of time that Beane & co. has invested in this decision. 

I think there is one huge difference between Losman and Rudolph, and that is talent. Losman had it. Came from all spread offense as well. Threw a great deep ball but wasn't great in the intermediate areas. Losman is a great comparison. Rudolph though, is not even close to the prospect Losman was. Imo he just doesn't have the talent to get it done in the NFL. He's a 3rd round prospect in my eyes. 

I would absolutely hate  it if he were the pick and it would guarantee two years of AJ McCarron starting at quarterback. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

12 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

I think Rudolph’s ceiling is more a guy like Philip Rivers. His floor is a Brandon Weeden. Probably ends up somewhere in the middle and has an Andy Dalton like career, but I do think there is a reasonable chance he could be better than Dalton. 

I don't see Phillip Rivers at all. He also seemed to have one of the weaker arms when throwing with the QB's at the combine. The ball doesn't really jump off of his hand and he looked dreadful throwing those post-corner routes. He was an effective college QB in that Ok. St. system, but I don't think it translates to the NFL. Just my 2 though. 

Edited by H2o

I think draft night will end up with Rudolph wearing a New England Patriots’ uniform.  I think they will trade ahead of us into the teens to grab him if he is still there after our pick at 12.

After two years of watching and learning behind Brady I think Rudolph will be a solid pro QB, much to all of our regret.

I hope I’m wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Rudolph, to me, will feel like when we took Losman. He was clearly a tier below the top guys but we were dead set on a WB so we took one in the 20’s. I’d be fine in the 2nd but wouldn’t love him at 22.

I believe the FO has identified the QB they want and that they will do whatever they can, within reason, to draft him. Rudolph is not my choice either; however, I love the flat out declarations on this board about which QBs will be good and which ones will not. He may very well turn out to be as good as any other QB in this draft - nobody knows. Even taking one of the "top 4" QBs, while increasing the odds of finding that franchise QB, is still a very real gamble.

Since 1997, there have been 56 quarterbacks taken in the first round, less than 35% have won a playoff game and less than 35% have career winning records.

In that same span, there were 33 QBs taken in the top 10. Excluding the four that have been in the league less than three years:
44% (13) have career winning records
44% (13) have won at least one playoff game
37% (11) have won more than one playoff game
20% (6) have won more than three playoff games
10% (3) have won more than 5 playoff games
17% (5) started at least one super bowl
6% (2) have won at least one super bowl

People with much greater expertise than the posters on this board have been wrong more often than not.

I'm with you Kirby, I don't care who they select, I just want him to be the right one. #fingerscrossed

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

I believe he could have the best career of all the QBs in this draft.

Be careful though you may catch hell from 26CB.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

I’m starting to believe that this could actually happen , if you look at his resume - 4 year starter basically 

( from A - Z ) he’s exactly the type of player that McBean is looking for ,  it wouldn’t surprise me if we take him at 12 even if one of the ( top - 4 ) QB’s are available , 

I a lot of people would be disappointed if he’s the pick especially at 12 , 

we need a QB ..... if we can't find a trade partner for the QB we want, then getting Rudolph is a no brainer. I've always thought he was a viable "plan B" @ pick 22 .... but the more I think about how many QB needy teams are out there, I guess Rudolph at pick 12 shouldn't be out of the question.