Board panic when the pats make a move

Understandable but man they have arguably as many holes on their roster as we do...oline (lost both starting SB tackles)...wr ( they just traded their only speed guy) and Edelman coming off an ACL..TE(with Gronk about ready to retire)...front seven( they get no qp pressure at all just ask the Eagles)....rb( do they have any effective short yardage back since Blunt left?) even CB (the Bills version of Gilmore showed up in the Super Bowl) and their starting qb despite playing like he’s not human sometimes is gonna be 41 with no backup...so I’m not losing sleep knowing they flipped Brandon Cooks for a 1 knowing he wanted more then 8.5 million a year and that the Rams are trying to win the Super Bowl this year  

25 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Understandable but man they have arguably as many holes on their roster as we do...oline (lost both starting SB tackles)...wr ( they just traded their only speed guy) and Edelman coming off an ACL..TE(with Gronk about ready to retire)...front seven( they get no qp pressure at all just ask the Eagles)....rb( do they have any effective short yardage back since Blunt left?) even CB (the Bills version of Gilmore showed up in the Super Bowl) and their starting qb despite playing like he’s not human sometimes is gonna be 41 with no backup...so I’m not losing sleep knowing they flipped Brandon Cooks for a 1 knowing he wanted more then 8.5 million a year and that the Rams are trying to win the Super Bowl this year  

Gilmore played well. He's not even close to a problem. And their front seven is not a problem for them. They'll be fine with receivers. They get by with dregs every year and Edelman will be fine. Have you seen the workout vids he posted in February?

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/Bolt/Julian-Edelman-continues-to-look-strong-during-rehab-115597303

He'll be fine.

TE, maybe, yeah. And yeah, they need a pass rusher, you're right there. RB. Tackles. Though Scarnecchia seems to make Shinola from feces every year. He's their secret weapon. Still, they need tackles. But I bet they get good OL play by Week 6 or so, whoever is there.

Hogan was their speed guy a year ago and I'm sure he can fill the role again.

They don't have as many holes as we have. Having said that, I'm not at all sure they're going QB with the picks they got. But expect them to be an extremely good team as long as they have Brady.

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Ok  a few corrections. They lost 1 starting OT Solder, who got way overpaid. (But good for him!)

WR we have Dorset who is a speedster as well and have Mitchell and Edelman coming back. Hardly a need and unlike Buffalo we have Brady he makes meh look wow. 

CB — did you watch the SB? Gilmore literally locked down their top WR when they put him on him. He was the only CB that did well.  They do need a true #2. 

Pass tush they need BADLY, they have the draft pick Rivers coming off IR this year who looked good in preseason. But they definitely need a pass rusher.

RB — really? This was fine last year and they signed a short yardage back in FA. 

They have holes but not as many as the Bills they need OT, and a pass rusher.. both will be gotten IMO in the first round and Lauletta in the 2nd with a CB. 

Does any of this matter? As long as they have Brady they are super bowl favorites. They could play with a tackling dummy at LT and he will still get the pass to Edelman before anyone can get to him.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok  a few corrections. They lost 1 starting OT Solder, who got way overpaid. (But good for him!)

WR we have Dorset who is a speedster as well and have Mitchell and Edelman coming back. Hardly a need and unlike Buffalo we have Brady he makes meh look wow. 

CB — did you watch the SB? Gilmore literally locked down their top WR when they put him on him. He was the only CB that did well.  They do need a true #2. 

Pass tush they need BADLY, they have the draft pick Rivers coming off IR this year who looked good in preseason. But they definitely need a pass rusher.

RB — really? This was fine last year and they signed a short yardage back in FA. 

They have holes but not as many as the Bills they need OT, and a pass rusher.. both will be gotten IMO in the first round and Lauletta in the 2nd with a CB. 

Hate to agree but i think you’re right.

Pats still have a good team.

And BB and Brady are still there which always makes them a super bowl threat 

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Does any of this matter? As long as they have Brady they are super bowl favorites. They could play with a tackling dummy at LT and he will still get the pass to Edelman before anyone can get to him.

2019 Belicheat will retire and hand the reigns to the deal breaker  McVay.  Brady will soon follow.  

the board panic's because  well thats what people do in the rush to break news real or fake.  

They live on every second of every bs tweet 

The first lesson dating back to its origins - The internet lies.  

At some point their bubble has to burst. Please say yes! The Patriots run has been unprecedented in professional sports. I have a feeling it will end abruptly when Brady gets injured, rather than him simply fading out in retirement. He is really defying age now and that rarely ends well. They’re going to try like heck for him not to take a hit but it’s still a physical sport.

Here's my unsolicited theory. I'll put it here rather than make a new thread.

I firmly believe that the Pats are armed and ready to make a move up the draft board. But not for a QB. In my mind Belichick can see, as we all can that there will be an early rush on QBs near the top. A great thing for a team that has a QB because this pushes other (and more all around talented) players down the board a bit. By acquiring that 2nd 1st along with what they already had just the 2 first could in theory move them at or near top 10. Throw in a 2nd or 2 and they could in theory move to the 7-10 range.

Why would they set up like this? I think they have their eyes on a big time defender after giving up 41 to Nick Foles. Draft could easily play out like this:

1. Cle- Allen

2. NYG- Darnold

3. Jets- Rosen

4. Cle- Barkley

5. Den- Nelson

6. **Trade** Buffalo- Mayfield

With Indy getting a plethora of picks to move this would open up the Pats to move way up for Chubb. Belichick seemed to like Chubb at his Pro Day, even guided him through some drills personally. Made the remark "Well, we pick at 31 so good luck to you". And the move will be hailed as genius as Belichick took advantage of the QB market to grab a top guy that slid down. 

Just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I firmly believe that the Pats are armed and ready to make a move up the draft board. But not for a QB. In my mind Belichick can see, as we all can that there will be an early rush on QBs near the top. A great thing for a team that has a QB because this pushes other (and more all around talented) players down the board a bit. By acquiring that 2nd 1st along with what they already had just the 2 first could in theory move them at or near top 10. Throw in a 2nd or 2 and they could in theory move to the 7-10 range.

Why would they set up like this? I think they have their eyes on a big time defender after giving up 41 to Nick Foles. Draft could easily play out like this:

1. Cle- Allen

2. NYG- Darnold

3. Jets- Rosen

4. Cle- Barkley

5. Den- Nelson

With Indy getting a plethora of picks to move this would open up the Pats to move way up for Chubb. Belichick seemed to like Chubb at his Pro Day, even guided him through some drills personally. Made the remark "Well, we pick at 31 so good luck to you". And the move will be hailed as genius as Belichick took advantage of the QB market to grab a top guy that slid down. 

Just my opinion.

This is a really sensible post.  Kudos to you Sir.

I think the NYG will take Chubb OR, if they don’t like him that much, they will try to trade down and pick up 2 OLmen. I think they want to win with Manning, and you don’t do that by drafting Darnold to sit - you do that by beefing up the lines.

I also agree with you that the Pats aren’t looking to take a QB high in the 1st, they are looking to reload at talent around Brady and on D so that they can bring home the Lombardi next year.  If Chubb is there they will grab him.

We need a QB so everyone gets all myopic about how every team is gonna draft a QB in the top 5.  Could happen, but more than likely won’t.

17 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

1. Cle- Allen

2. NYG- Darnold

3. Jets- Rosen

4. Cle- Barkley

5. Den- Nelson

Just my opinion.

A very well thought out post. But I disagree with how the Pats are going to handle this draft with their multiple high picks. What I see them doing is to use their picks to address a number of positions. That would preclude them from moving up by dealing  picks. They have needs on the OL, DB, receivers, maybe TE and DL. The Pats are more likely to spread the talent rather than go  sell out for an individual talent. I'm not saying you are wrong but see them more likely using those picks for more players than fewer players.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a really sensible post.  Kudos to you Sir.

I think the NYG will take Chubb OR, if they don’t like him that much, they will try to trade down and pick up 2 OLmen. I think they want to win with Manning, and you don’t do that by drafting Darnold to sit - you do that by beefing up the lines.

I also agree with you that the Pats aren’t looking to take a QB high in the 1st, they are looking to reload at talent around Brady and on D so that they can bring home the Lombardi next year.  If Chubb is there they will grab him.

We need a QB so everyone gets all myopic about how every team is gonna draft a QB in the top 5.  Could happen, but more than likely won’t.

I agree with the though of the Giants beefing up the lines and Gettleman has repeatedly said at 2 he would want a perspective HoF caliber player. That leads me to believe he's eyeing (or trying to give the impression) Nelson. But 2 is a tad high for a guard by most standards.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

A very well thought out post. But I disagree with how the Pats are going to handle this draft with their multiple high picks. What I see them doing is to use their picks to address a number of positions. That would preclude them from moving up by dealing  picks. They have needs on the OL, DB, receivers, maybe TE and DL. The Pats are more likely to spread the talent rather than go  sell out for an individual talent. I'm not saying you are wrong but see them more likely using those picks for more players than fewer players.

And I agree that that's something they may do as well. Spread out and improve all around. If we didn't need a QB that's what I'd hope the Bills would do. 

at least we have grounds to fear and respect this Pats dynasty

us old farts went through the Fish owning the Bills for the entire 70s when the Fish weren't anything special for half those years

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

at least we have grounds to fear and respect this Pats dynasty

us old farts went through the Fish owning the Bills for the entire 70s when the Fish weren't anything special for half those years

Well said my good friend! Well said!

27 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I agree with the though of the Giants beefing up the lines and Gettleman has repeatedly said at 2 he would want a perspective HoF caliber player. That leads me to believe he's eyeing (or trying to give the impression) Nelson. But 2 is a tad high for a guard by most standards.

And I agree that that's something they may do as well. Spread out and improve all around. If we didn't need a QB that's what I'd hope the Bills would do.

With respect to the highlighted segment your point resonates with me that once the qb is in place then the franchise has so much more flexibility when addressing the rest of the roster. Just think if the Bills would have drafted either Mahomes or Watson last year how differently we would be looking at this draft? If the Browns would have selected Watson with their second first round pick instead of drafting Peppers, a hybrid DB/LB, just think how differently their approach would be to this upcoming draft? 

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

This ^^^* 

im willing to bet that if you replace D Keizer with Brady Cleveland would have made the playoffs last year , 

8 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I got a blubbering text from a fellow Bills fan who was in a panic.  One truth about many of us is that we expect the very worst.

People panic because the media makes a big deal out of Bellicheks moves.As if he has this master plan to get ahead of Buffalo.

For example, this morning on Good Morning Football,they were going through what the Giants should do at two. They feigned phone calls from Buffalo,the Bills offered a boatload for the pick, then the Pats called and offered Number 43 and Rob Gronkowski. The girl,Kay something or other said she would take the Pats offer. Really?

In a realistic world there’s no way the Giants would pass up the Bills deal, but the media is so enamored with BB that it creates nervous tension amongst SOME fans.

I would be the least bit worried about the Pats,but that’s me.

Further, BB hasn’t done a great job drafting. 

Edited by dlonce

Generally I agree. But if Beane is hesitant in trading away all of his acquired picks, or he’s just slow to the draw. And the Pats jump ahead of us and steal one of the QBs (most likely many of us here like) there will be some serious questions about how the hell it happened 

Edited by mrags

8 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

So true! Every time they make a move there are a lot of traumatic reactions on the board. On the other hand, I think we need to cut those posters a little slack as, unfortunately, in the past there has been something to it in terms of the Pats* making some move and it turning out good for them and bad for us.

2 hours ago, dlonce said:

People panic because the media makes a big deal out of Bellicheks moves.As if he has this master plan to get ahead of Buffalo.

For example, this morning on Good Morning Football,they were going through what the Giants should do at two. They feigned phone calls from Buffalo,the Bills offered a boatload for the pick, then the Pats called and offered Number 43 and Rob Gronkowski. The girl,Kay something or other said she would take the Pats offer. Really?

In a realistic world there’s no way the Giants would pass up the Bills deal, but the media is so enamored with BB that it creates nervous tension amongst SOME fans.

I would be the least bit worried about the Pats,but that’s me.

Further, BB hasn’t done a great job drafting. 

I saw that too.  How stupid would that trade be.....................

Giants and Gettleman would be that laughing stock of the NFL.