Did Mills sabotage Peterman's start due to his anger over TT benching?

Mills  WAS NOT upset about the TT benching-- he is just not a good football player at all. TT hides the fact that Mills sucks cuz he only looks at one read then runs out of the pocket,  and again-- like others have said-- if the Bills brass knew of him lettign defensive players get past him-- they would have sideline him for the season and or cut him after the season

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Nobody will ever convince me that the OL didn't throw that game.

Uh huh. Presumably they threw the Jets game too, right? I wonder if we can "convince you" to explain why Taylor was under immediate and brutal pressure continually throughout that game. Also : What's your take on the o-line and the Kennedy assassination? Do you think all five of them were lurking behind the grassy knoll?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, grb said:

Uh huh. Presumably they threw the Jets game too, right? I wonder if we can "convince you" to explain why Taylor was under immediate and brutal pressure continually throughout that game. Also : What's your take on the o-line and the Kennedy assassination? Do you think all five of them were lurking behind the grassy knoll?

I can see that you disagree.  I respect that.  Have a great day, man.

• Like (+1) 1

The beautiful thing about the question of whether Mills’ horrible play was intentional sabotage or lack of talent/effort is that the ultimate answer is the same: Replace and cut him. 

For what it’s worth, it sure seemed intentional. 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) it was the dumbest decision in the entire nfl season to bench Taylor st that point and I’m not a Taylor fan.  Lucky for McD, Andy Dalton saved him from being second guessed the entire offseason.

2) Mills kinda sucked anyways.  

3) This alleged stuff happens more than you think. But Peterman was solely responsible for one of the worst starts in nfl history.

I fully agree. Those games with 60 yards passing really proves that Tyrod is one of the best.

Something was definitely off about that game. 

Not only did the offensive line let the Chargers D tee off on Peterman all game but the receivers couldn't get an ounce of seperation all game. It's like nobody gave any effort at all and wanted to sabotage Peterman. Even Tom Brady would've had a brutal game if he was in there.

And Mills isn't that good but that was far and away his worst performance and it did look like he was purposely sabotaging Peterman. I remember watching the offensive line the next several weeks with TT back in there and the protection was far better. 

Edited by suorangefan4

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not why he got benched, that’s why a lot of Bills fans don’t like him. Those aren’t interchangeable.

He got benched because Dennison thought his garbage offense would improve. He pushed for the move and McDermott went along. It lasted a half, failed in epic fashion and Dennison was fired. There are no conspiracies needed to cover for that scrub. He got a chance and sucked worse than any player ever has in the 1st half that he ever played!!

He got benched because he was not good enough in 3 of the 4 prior games.  

here's one of them    33.6 and 3 lousy points.  

image.thumb.png.dc9c4015bfca561ed622b57e2bde85fe.png

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not why he got benched, that’s why a lot of Bills fans don’t like him. Those aren’t interchangeable.

He got benched because Dennison thought his garbage offense would improve. He pushed for the move and McDermott went along. It lasted a half, failed in epic fashion and Dennison was fired. There are no conspiracies needed to cover for that scrub. He got a chance and sucked worse than any player ever has in the 1st half that he ever played!!

Jeez Louise, your criticism of Peterman is not only scathing and brutal, but almost seems personal.  Now he's a scrub??  

I will readily admit that I don't possess close to yours or 26's football knowledge. I'm assuming both of you played college ball, as I did, for Pitt, thus my somewhat biased opinion for Mr Peterman.  But I swear it feels like I watched something completely different then you, and heck, alot of others.  I was quick to point out I don't believe that Mills, nor any other member of the team would go as far as to sabotage a fellow player, endangering their life and at the same time hurting the team's chances of a W.  But I most certainly don't think Peterman got much help from the line, or from DiMarco COMPLETELY giftwrapping Peterman's first pick.  Yes, he did play poorly in that game.  And that half of football you saw enough of him to say, "yep, he's awful.  Zero chance in hell he ever amounts to anything."??  Did he not look at least decent in your opinions against the Colts before getting hurt?  What is it about him, a Buffalo Bill currently btw, that makes you call one of our own, a scrub??  

Also, I gotta ask, you think many Bills fans did not like Tyrod because he's black??  A fan-base that had to endure a 17 year playoff drought, who is so desperate for a great QB that several Bills fans will sadly perish before the draft even gets here from massive heart attacks because they couldn't take the waiting and their hearts exploded?  Maybe I have blinders on or something, but I don't believe the majority of fans disliked Taylor because he was black.  They disliked Taylor because he just wasn't good.

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

Something was definitely off about that game. 

Not only did the offensive line let the Chargers D tee off on Peterman all game but the receivers couldn't get an ounce of seperation all game. It's like nobody gave any effort at all and wanted to sabotage Peterman. Even Tom Brady would've had a brutal game if he was in there.

And Mills isn't that good but that was far and away his worst performance and it did look like he was purposely sabotaging Peterman. I remember watching the offensive line the next several weeks with TT back in there and the protection was far better. 

Come on man!

tinfoilhat.jpg

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

COT working hard in this thread. I would just like to say.....hey hey hey Goodbye

Projection (Psychological)

1) An unconscious self-defense mechanism characterized by a person unconsciously attributing their own issues onto someone or something else as a form of delusion and denial.

"Projection" can't be any more clearer than this. Here we have an entire thread on a wackadoodle conspiracy theory to excuse Peterman's hidious play.
That is cult-like behavior at it's most extreme, delusional, and bizarre.  

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

Jeez Louise, your criticism of Peterman is not only scathing and brutal, but almost seems personal.  Now he's a scrub??  

I will readily admit that I don't possess close to yours or 26's football knowledge. I'm assuming both of you played college ball, as I did, for Pitt, thus my somewhat biased opinion for Mr Peterman.  But I swear it feels like I watched something completely different then you, and heck, alot of others.  I was quick to point out I don't believe that Mills, nor any other member of the team would go as far as to sabotage a fellow player, endangering their life and at the same time hurting the team's chances of a W.  But I most certainly don't think Peterman got much help from the line, or from DiMarco COMPLETELY giftwrapping Peterman's first pick.  Yes, he did play poorly in that game.  And that half of football you saw enough of him to say, "yep, he's awful.  Zero chance in hell he ever amounts to anything."??  Did he not look at least decent in your opinions against the Colts before getting hurt?  What is it about him, a Buffalo Bill currently btw, that makes you call one of our own, a scrub??  

I’ve called him a scrub for a while. He’s way closer to scrub than potential starter!! He played THE WORST HALF OF FOOTBALL AN NFL QB HAS EVER PLAYED in his 1st try!! Think about that. We didn’t defend Tuel or Brohm or Brown or anyone like this and they were all WAY better when given the chance. It’s not personal at all; it is real. It is the truth. 

I thought that he was okay vs. the Colts and made a few good throws. However, his accuracy was way overstated, his arm strength isn’t good enough and his pocket presence is terrible. He gets rushed, makes poor decisions and doesn’t have the arm to overcome them. He certainly didn’t get help from DiMarco (who is also overrated) but there was another potential pick 6 that a DB dropped in that game. 

I thought when they drafted him that Peterman had a chance to be the long-term number 2. That was a good use of a 5th round pick IMO. He was never going to be the guy but that’s fine. It is an important position that he was filling (see: Foles, Nick).

At the moment I think he’ll be lucky to be on a roster. If the Bills take a guy early Peterman will be a distant 3rd on the depth chart and a waste of a roster spot. That isn’t uncommon though. The Saints cut Grayson after a season and he was a 3rd. The Jets could have (and should have) cut Sackenberg after a year. If a guy stinks, he stinks. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i wouldn't doubt the op and i do remember this going around. i never wanted mills to start the season. if he is on this team this year it will amazingly be what.....5 or better years since this team has done anything with that position? other than henderson, i can't even remember who our last rt was?  pears?   ....and is juan still here? does dabol have authority over line coaches?.....guess that's another subject.

Not only is Juan still here there was an article stating that one of our FA OL pickups was MOTIVATED to come here cuz of ole Juan!!!!  Sorry if this has already been pointed out but I was FLOORED by that....

1 hour ago, Kaenon said:

Firstly, good post and appreciate your hard work.

Secondly, even just from remembering watching the game live last year I can recall vividly, how Mills was not even trying.

Watch the play linked to above in which Tyrod is strip sacked by Bosa in the second half. You may rethink your view.

It's funny I was just watching "Blue Chips" last night starring Nick Nolte as a coach who paid college players to attend his school. There was a scene where he was told one of his players got paid for point shaving several years earlier. In total denial, he sat with his assistants and rewatched the game in question until there was no doubt a player was turning the ball over on purpose.

After what is rumored to have happened to Derek Carr earlier this year, I have no doubt players would let their QB out to dry (especially if there is a racial divide), but more likely in this case is that Mills got approached by some wise guys from Vegas who offered to double his meager NFL salary if he turned into a turnstile against the Chargers. They knew Peterman wouldn't be able to handle that kind of pressure in his first start. 

Just my thoughts. And that it's more common than everyone would like to believe ;)

Edited by musichunch

7 hours ago, #34fan said:

Gotta admit...The O-line did look bad for Nate's series... Could also be that the D was motivated by the presence of a rookie...

Bossa was on fire when we played them, he was crushing olines for weeks before he ate ours for lunch.

Mills was awful all season, but some of this looks really bad.

If there is truth to this it's a bad look for Mills.

7 hours ago, #34fan said:

Gotta admit...The O-line did look bad for Nate's series... Could also be that the D was motivated by the presence of a rookie...

The entire o-line we're embarrassing that game. Surprised Nate didn't die. I said last year that was the worst performance by a Bills O line in several years. Something was up?

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the level of hate for a rookie is astounding.  

It makes my "hate for Tyrod" look like a minor annoyance on the scale of a paper cut 

I think its more just people pointing out how absolutely stupid it is to say it was any sort of conspiracy and just stating that he sucked..... becuz he did. his career isn't done. he may turn out to be a solid backup. but there is no conspiracy here. he just sucked. and the  o-line sucked vs an elite pass rush. 

mills has been fairly awful for 2 years now. no conspiracy theory needed there. 

and its not surprising in the least that the same people claiming such idiotic things were all the same characters that were routinely irrational and dramatic about taylor throughout the year. i'm not pointing straight at you, i'm just saying in general..... the usual suspects pounced on this one with the quickness.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Did Mills tell Peterman to throw an out route with no zip on it to get picked?

Did Mills tell NP to fade back into the pass rush instead of stepping up in the pocket?

Did Mills suck that day? Yup.

Did NP suck that day? Yup

Not everything is a conspiracy folks. Sometimes a bad football player plays bad

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think its more just people pointing out how absolutely stupid it is to say it was any sort of conspiracy and just stating that he sucked..... becuz he did. 

mills has been fairly awful for 2 years now. no conspiracy theory needed there. 

and its not surprising in the least that the same people claiming such idiotic things were all the same characters that were routinely irrational and dramatic about taylor throughout the year. i'm not pointing straight at you, i'm just saying in general..... the usual suspects pounced on this one with the quickness.

Again I say its a conversation. Maybe better than the beaten to death draft threads.    

There is no need for people to get upset and insulting and throw out what they deem to be witty one liners.  

4 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Yeah, if this is true, the coaches knew it back then, and would have acted appropriately. 

I do agree that Peterman wasn't completely at fault that day. A couple of those picks were horrible, but a couple I did,t blame him for. But regardless of whether or not benching Taylor was warranted, and the circumstances around giving Peterman a shot, McDermott and the coaches on offense deserve the heat they got for A: deciding to start a rookie QB against arguably the best pass rush in the league, and B. deciding to force Peterman to be Joe Montana in his first game instead of running the ball 75% of the time and allowing Peterman to get settled and Ulrike play action. That was a rookie coach mistake.

One of the main reasons that Peterman was put in there was because of Tyrod's reluctance to throw the ball.  So why would a coach then handcuff his replacement?

At the time starting a rookie in that spot made sense.  Where else on the schedule would the rookie get a road game in a small stadium with a much larger than average number of Bills fans in attendance to keep the noise down from the offense and at the same time not have any pressure of having his 1st start come before a 75k home crowd?   McDermott couldn't have found a better stadium for a rookie's 1st start.  What was he supposed to do, wait until a team on the schedule with tons of injuries to their pass rushers suddenly showed up at a neutral site?  Any NFL team (except Cleveland?) in any stadium would have had a field day against Peterman, who shouldn't have started a game in his rookie year, shouldn't start one in his sophomore year (if there is one) and whose next start needs to be either in the CFL, Arenaball or in his back yard with the family.  

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
34 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Not only is Juan still here there was an article stating that one of our FA OL pickups was MOTIVATED to come here cuz of ole Juan!!!!  Sorry if this has already been pointed out but I was FLOORED by that....

I think the way the line performed in the beginning of the season was more on Dennison.  He comes from the Shanahan tree with the zone blocking.  If anything I think you can give credit to Castillo for the way the offensive line performed in the 2nd half of the season after they decided to go back to a power scheme.  Also Dawkins looked pretty great for a second round rookie at LT.  I want to see how they do this upcoming season before we judge Castillo.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Again I say its a conversation. Maybe better than the beaten to death draft threads.    

There is no need for people to get upset and insulting and throw out what they deem to be witty one liners.  

You got to feel for them though it was a long tough 3 year battle. The church is now all boarded up and they got a few to move out of the basement. I am sure they will start to finish their dependency classes and are ready to join the real world.  Give him time most in the church have had to take some serious time off after such a big trade of a saviour they thought would never leave.

Just now, xRUSHx said:

You got to feel for them though it was a long tough 3 year battle. The church is now all boarded up and they got a few to move out of the basement. I am sure they will start to finish their dependency classes and are ready to join the real world.  Give him time most in the church have had to take some serious time off after such a big trade of a saviour they thought would never leave.

I can hardly wait for the new wave of hate for any QB drafted.    I have already seen the AJ hate.  

like a pressure cooker waiting to explode 

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Change your screen name 

Take a little advice. 

From you? Nah. Although I did like that scene. Pay the man his money. Best line ever from Malkovitch.

I like the TT. Didn't cost us anything to get him, got every penny's worth of value we paid him while he was here and then traded him away for a good draft pick - possibly one of the greatest values in the history of our franchise. 

Can't say that too often, and less often about a QB. Wait until we unload a stack of first round picks so we get a concussed QB that is immobile and stick him behind Turnstile. Should be real fun.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

Also, I gotta ask, you think many Bills fans did not like Tyrod because he's black??  A fan-base that had to endure a 17 year playoff drought, who is so desperate for a great QB that several Bills fans will sadly perish before the draft even gets here from massive heart attacks because they couldn't take the waiting and their hearts exploded?  Maybe I have blinders on or something, but I don't believe the majority of fans disliked Taylor because he was black.  They disliked Taylor because he just wasn't good.

Hahahahahactrlhahahahahavhahahahaha

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I can hardly wait for the new wave of hate for any QB drafted.    I have already seen the AJ hate.  

like a pressure cooker waiting to explode 

the winner you were responding to right there is one of the class acts I was referring to..... you don't think he'll turn on a qb in a heart beat? its like dealing with a toddler.

there's no rational conversation to be had when he enters it.

as for the topic? there was no conspiracy. it was an awful showing from the qb and an awful showing from the RT that has been horrible for years now.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Unfortunately Taylor forced the Bills hand and there was a lack of options on the team so by default Peterman was it.  Tyrod went through a stretch where he wasn't running and he was afraid to throw.  I'm not sure McDerm would have done things differently if he looked back and had a second shot because there was nothing else to do.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the decision. The staff wasn't sold on TT, evident by the restructure. The 2 previous games (2nd Jets & Saints iirc) were putrid performances by Taylor, but not Taylor alone. Both offensive and defensive lines were being pushed around like shopping carts all day, and the defense went from giving up yards but limiting points, to giving up yards and tons of points. There were plenty of people to point fingers at...

But I'm not as focused on the decision to bench him and start NP, like the media was, and how the results could have kept the Bills out of the playoffs. The Bills needed to know what they might have in Peterman, with extra draft picks to utilize in the upcoming draft that could be used for a QB. It sent a message to Taylor, and he seemed to respond positively after Peterman was beched after the first half.  

My beef was more with how the coaches called that game with Peterman. You don't start a rookie QB and call the game as if he's a 5 year vet. Lean on the run, utilize draws to help negate the effectiveness of their DEs, and give him easier throws out of play action. Maybe that wouldn't have resulted in a win, but it would have allowed NP to settle down, and the game probably would have been much closer than it turned out to be. It was foolish, but McDermott was a rookie HC after all, and expecting him to not make any rookie mistakes is foolish as well. I'm sure that he learned from it.

Btw, autocorrect on my phone is annoying. How the hell did "utilize" become "Ulrike" or whatever it was?

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

I will readily admit that I don't possess close to yours or 26's football knowledge. [/END SARCASM FONT] 

I'm assuming both of you played college ball, as I did, for Pitt, thus my somewhat biased opinion for Mr Peterman.  [SUPER STUFF]

But I swear it feels like I watched something completely different then you, and heck, alot of others.  I was quick to point out I don't believe that Mills, nor any other member of the team would go as far as to sabotage a fellow player, endangering their life and at the same time hurting the team's chances of a W.  But I most certainly don't think Peterman got much help from the line, or from

DiMarco COMPLETELY giftwrapping Peterman's first pick.  [WHY ARE WE PAYING DiMARCO?

]Yes, he did play poorly in that game.  And that half of football you saw enough of him to say, "yep, he's awful.  Zero chance in hell he ever amounts to anything."??  Did he not look at least decent in your opinions against the Colts before getting hurt?  What is it about him, a Buffalo Bill currently btw, that makes you call one of our own, a scrub??  

Also, I gotta ask, you think many Bills fans did not like Tyrod because he's black??  A fan-base that had to endure a 17 year playoff drought, who is so desperate for a great QB that several Bills fans will sadly perish before the draft even gets here from massive heart attacks because they couldn't take the waiting and their hearts exploded?  Maybe I have blinders on or something, but

I don't believe the majority of fans disliked Taylor because he was black. [Does anybody believe that $hit anymore? Do we really believe that Lamar Jackson is a victim of racial profiling?

They disliked Taylor because he just wasn't good. [I'd use great. He was good enough for the price y'all were willing to pay him. And apparently Buffalo fans will only accept Tom Fin Brady at QB]

I had to go out of my way to find and "like" this post.

Hey, I like Tyrod Taylor and I never got to the point of hating him or loving him. But value is what you get, price is what you pay. I like the promise of AJM, but if all he delivers is replacement level performance, so be it. 

Congrats. Good post.

27 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

One of the main reasons that Peterman was put in there was because of Tyrod's reluctance to throw the ball.  So why would a coach then handcuff his replacement?

At the time starting a rookie in that spot made sense.  Where else on the schedule would the rookie get a road game in a small stadium with a much larger than average number of Bills fans in attendance to keep the noise down from the offense and at the same time not have any pressure of having his 1st start come before a 75k home crowd?   McDermott couldn't have found a better stadium for a rookie's 1st start.  What was he supposed to do, wait until a team on the schedule with tons of injuries to their pass rushers suddenly showed up at a neutral site?  Any NFL team (except Cleveland?) in any stadium would have had a field day against Peterman, who shouldn't have started a game in his rookie year, shouldn't start one in his sophomore year (if there is one) and whose next start needs to be either in the CFL, Arenaball or in his back yard with the family.  

Read my previous post. 

I agree with the points you make. It was the game plan and how they called the game that was horrible, IMO.

5 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Or it's just that this line was so awful that teams never blitzed us and still got right to the qb. Luckily we had a guy who could mask these deficiencies with his mobility. You saw what happened when you had a pocket qb in there. 

I'll say it until the cows come home..you people don't know how good we had it with Tyrod. He did all that could be asked for and more with this porous line, awful coaching and JV receiver group. 

Next year is not going to be pretty. Be prepared. 

I somewhat agree. However, you cannot dismiss all the plays where he had plenty of time, and open receivers, yet didn't deliver. I get that it happens to pretty .much all QBs at times, but the rate in which they occurred with Taylor was ridiculous for a NFL starting QB.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) it was the dumbest decision in the entire nfl season to bench Taylor st that point and I’m not a Taylor fan.  Lucky for McD, Andy Dalton saved him from being second guessed the entire offseason.

Partially agree...

2) Mills kinda sucked anyways.  

Definitely agree...

3) This alleged stuff happens more than you think. But Peterman was solely responsible for one of the worst starts in nfl history.

Don't agree at all...

What exactly is the fascination with Peterman? Seriously? Quite frankly, he couldn't carry Jeff Tuel's jock. Yet inexplicably there are droves of members here that, not only sing his praises, but are quite convinced that Peterman could become a starting QB in this league. Based on what exactly? Was it his impressively abhorrent play against the Chargers? And yes, let's point the accusatory finger at one of the offensive linemen and blame them for Peterman's abortion of a performance that day.