Did Mills sabotage Peterman's start due to his anger over TT benching?

50 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I would tend to doubt it....what he shows on film is how he gets paid. 

Then why is he still getting paid? What he showed on film was if we had put a garbage can on the field that day, it would have taken roughly the same effort to get around it.

• Like (+1) 2

IMO it was more then just one player that flopped on purpose that day. IMO it was done in respect of the old fired HC and Tyrod. I think playing our old HC that knew these players very well was able to give his new team a very large edge at what to do to exploit all his old players. IMO if Tyrod was starting the game Tyrod would have had one of his worst games ever as a starter, that team was pumped to pound on us. IMO McD did Tyrod a favor not starting him because IMO it would have been for sure Tyrods last game ever as a Bill. 

I do not judge Peterman on that game at all, rookies will have a real stinker game and to judge him on just that one game is way over the top by some fans IMO. IMO that game is forgotten for me when judging Peterman since it did not matter who was QB the team played flat and the old HC had the huge edge being at home also it was Petermans rookie season. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The offense was vocally upset about benching Taylor. This was Dennsions call. Dennison lost the team this day and never recovered.  McDermott did sign off on it and the offense went on in spite if Dennison.

Disirregardless, Taylor was upset and the team was upset because everyone who was part of the organization knew Peterman sucked. They practiced with him and it was clear, so clear that they knew Dennison was making a mistake simply because he did not like Taylor.

15 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Did you read his post ?    Is it not 100% ? ? 

We traded away a guy who can’t pass and disappears for long stretches but we will struggle without him ???‍♂️????. 

Look small ?  Like the scoreboard vs the jags. 

Hold the advice, I’m all set.   

Nah. 

You are way off base there. Take a little advice. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Peterman sabotaged Peterman's start because he melted under pressure and isn't an NFL caliber QB.  Next!

This.   Mills was just playing like he always does.  Just more noticeable with Peterman in vs Taylor

23 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

C'mon Kirby. If the guy was another Tom Brady most every Bills fan would worship him.  I think a reason as to why a lot of Bill fans didn't like him was because he was a somewhat limited NFL QB...nothing more. 

Yes, there will always be those few like our current nation's leader. Hopefully, they all get a bit older and die off. 

I’m not saying that is exclusively why but it is ABSOLUTELY a factor. I told a story last week of a guy that stopped by our Bills tent at the St. Patrick’s Day parade 2 weeks ago and said “I’m glad Tyrod is gone. Now they can play a white QB.” That guy has never met any of us and is a season ticket holder. I know that it’s uncomfortbale for people and everyone will say “that’s not the case” but it certainly is a factor. He was an okay QB (like Tannehill). He should be remembered as such and that’s all. Hopefully we will upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

McDermott has to make the final call but Dennison pushes for the change. McDermott certainly signed off on it but WAS NOT the driving force behind it. That was Dennison. 

He would be liked more than he is. 

He'd still cost a 3rd.

Sammy Bradford cost a first and we all know how incredible HE is.

6 hours ago, dezertbill said:

I ran into an acquaintance last week at a local place here in Las Vegas ( I know, Vegas, right?).  He is from Clarence, and says he has two close friends whom both work within the Bills organization.  When the topic of Nathan Peterman came up vs. the Chargers, he rolled his eyes and laughed.  Told me that some in the building firmly believe that Jordan Mills was so PI$$ED about Taylor's benching that he purposely became a turnstile vs. the Chargers to sabotage Peterman's start.

Now,  first of all I'm skeptical when someone says they have "friends" that work at One Bills Drive (I don't know their names).  Secondly,  I never heard of any claims of players having it in for Peterman over Taylor's benching nor feel that any professional would put another athletes health at risk over a benching.  So I went to the video myself to see if I could notice anything out of the ordinary from Mills' side.

Now, keep in mind that Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram are two great athletes.  But if you closely watch Mills vs both of them, this guy's friends may be onto something.

I pulled this video from Youtube which shows all 5 picks. (it will make you go to YouTube.com website to watch the video).   Here is what I saw.

:45 - Peterman threads a beautiful pass to Benjamin.  If you notice Mills, he Ole's Melvin Ingram.  Not only does he barely move, he just stands there after Ingram whiffs by him.  Luckily on this play, Peterman completed the ball prior to Ingram getting to him.  Horrible look, horrible effort by Mills.

2:04 - This was the screen pass to DeMarco.  (Slow the video to .25 speed) Mills pulls inside once the Ball is snapped.  Now keep in mind he is running opposite of where the ball is going.  It looks as if he purposely avoids hitting Bosa (ducking to his left) to double team Ducasse's guy (who neither hit and the defender doesn't end up even being involved in the play) .  Bosa fires up the line and hits DeMarco, throwing off his route.  He then closes in on Peterman who has to rush the throw, which is tipped by DeMarco who is probably short of where he was supposed to be due to rubbing Bosa and it's intercepted and taken the other way.  Now some will say "throw it away", or blame DeMarco.  But Bosa's disruption based on Mills inability to just get in his way led to this.  Another bad look.

3:59 - Ingram beats Mills on the outside and Mills hips end up facing the back of the end zone.  Ingram is able to stick up his hand in Peterman's face, which makes him take a step back and right into Bosa coming in from behind.  Now, a smarter QB would have stepped up, and on this play it just looks as if Mills got beat cleanly.  But then again, who knows.

7:27 - On this play, Mills HAS to see that there is Bosa and a blitzer lined up outside of him.  When the ball is snapped, he barely moves and once again ole's Bosa.  While the RB takes on the blitzer, Bosa comes in and crushes Peterman.  Now, some will say a veteran QB should just take the sack on that one and not throw the ball.  But it doesn't take away the fact that Mills looked so badly beaten it makes you wonder how much of it was skill, and how much of it was anger over Taylor's benching?

8:17 - This was a quick three step drop and throw.  For some reason Mills takes a step to the outside, knowing he needs to protect the inside gap to ensure Peterman has a clear line of sight.  Mills basically gives Bosa an inside lane directly into this QB.  This throws off the throw (it's a 3 step drop for God's sake) and ends up being an INT.  Looking at this closely, Mills sets up so wide and then looks so badly beaten inside on such a simple blocking assignment it's f'n crazy.

9:39 -   Peterman's final INT comes from Dawkins' side.  It looks like Bosa makes a move inside and Dawkin's gets hurt (He favor's his shoulder as he comes off the field).  But you'll notice this is the only INT that comes from pressure directly in the face of Peterman that doesn't come from Mills side..

Now, these are the only plays I have video of.  Who knows how many more plays he may have whiffed at.  After watching this video, one could say Mills just had a really bad day.  But some can also say that, on some of those plays,  it looks like Mills was barely making an effort (if any), which makes you wonder.....was he really trying to send a message to the coaching staff for benching Taylor?

As for Peterman, he took a lot of heat for a performance that wasn't all his fault.  Not only does he get a bad wrap from Bills fans, but from around the league in general.  If Mills wanted to sabotage his start and make McDermott look stupid, he succeeded.    It also earned TT the start the following week.

Mission accomplished

Firstly, good post and appreciate your hard work.

Secondly, even just from remembering watching the game live last year I can recall vividly, how Mills was not even trying.

Don't know if their is any truth to this post, but regardless the o line was horrendous in that game. I feel bad for Peterman because I feel he's a better qb than this, and also his bad play wasn't all his fault. In hind sight, starting him in a game on the other side of the country probably wasn't the best idea. If anything it should've probably been a home game. 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude.

The guy set a league record for INTs in a half. What a nice favor McD did for Tyrod.?

Just an absolutely awful take.

Dude rookie QBs on the first season will have a bad game it happens. Add in reports of the team sabotaging, a big away game,  add in the fact our old HC was on the other team and Peterman had a impossible hill to climb.

If you held Tyrod in same dark light like you do Peterman you would see why so many fans are very happy Tyrod is long gone.

Absolutely awful is how the COT does not want Peterman to succeed at all and have done all they can to trash on him for that one game while they continue to make excuses for the Tyrod. I am sure the COT would like nothing more then to see Peterman out the door like their saviorTT.

Hey Scott, Tyrod is no longer here, haha, hey hey hey Goodbye. Time to close that church it was all make believe nonsense. Pitch forks have spoken and that era is now gone. Hey hey hey goodridence.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

Nobody will ever convince me that the OL didn't throw that game.

It will be interesting to see how Peterman plays this year. We'll probably see a good chunk of him in pre season, and with a qb competition coming, I'm sure he'll up his game a bit 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Steptide said:

It will be interesting to see how Peterman plays this year. We'll probably see a good chunk of him in pre season, and with a qb competition coming, I'm sure he'll up his game a bit 

My optimism for Peterman is tempered, to say the least.  I didn't expect him to light the world on fire when he played.  After all, he was a rookie and a late round pick, at that.  But he definitely seems to lack the "it" factor.  He looks scared out there and that concerns me.

I hope, with the main problem gone, that he can now develop at a more normal pace and - if nothing else - win the backup spot, which is a pretty effing important job.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know if Mills did this or not but his play on the field and Bosa's comment's on the sideline definitely don't help Mills at all. This was the worst possible position I have ever seen a rookie in. Taylor should've played that game but I can also see why McD went with Peterman.

2 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Yeah, if this is true, the coaches knew it back then, and would have acted appropriately. 

I do agree that Peterman wasn't completely at fault that day. A couple of those picks were horrible, but a couple I did,t blame him for. But regardless of whether or not benching Taylor was warranted, and the circumstances around giving Peterman a shot, McDermott and the coaches on offense deserve the heat they got for A: deciding to start a rookie QB against arguably the best pass rush in the league, and B. deciding to force Peterman to be Joe Montana in his first game instead of running the ball 75% of the time and allowing Peterman to get settled and Ulrike play action. That was a rookie coach mistake.

Unfortunately Taylor forced the Bills hand and there was a lack of options on the team so by default Peterman was it.  Tyrod went through a stretch where he wasn't running and he was afraid to throw.  I'm not sure McDerm would have done things differently if he looked back and had a second shot because there was nothing else to do.