What is your biggest Bills FA mistake

BisonMan

11 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

There were 2 really bad olinemen signed that year. What was the other guys name? I want to say Walker? Those 2 and Robert Royal are my vote.

Langston Walker - tackle from the Raiders - an equally bad deal to Dockery in my opinion.

Brian Brohm.  I used to bang the table on a now defunct message board about how we should poach him from the Packers' practice squad.  "He would've been a top 5 pick if he came out a year earlier!"  I also expected big things from WR Chad Jackson, for some reason.

10 hours ago, Mij yllek said:

Does anyone remember Joe Panos real name....Zois Panagiotopoulos

In March, 2009, Panos was arrested for disorderly conduct and assault in Waukesha County, Wisconsin for allegedly attacking his ex-wife's friend's car with a golf club. He is a regular guest on theBob and Brian show. He is currently a certified contract advisor for Athletes First, a sports agency.

Yeah he was going to be my pick, since there was only two pages thought I would check to see if anyone else had picked him. If memory serves, we signed Panos, free agent from the Bears. Bears signed Ruben Brown, free agent from the Bills. Basically a trade of guards. Thought he was going to be really good.

Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery. Paid like the best at their position, seems like they played like the worst.

As soon as I read the thread title these names instantly came to mind along with depression and a sick feeling in my stomach.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

14 hours ago, McBean said:

I’ve got one for you all...

Bryant f’in Johnson.

What a story. Back in the day, the BBMB shut down because of the rage of not signing him.

Honorable mentions include Ernest Wilford I think? We needed a “big WR” who could win the jump ball in the red zone. We all thought if we got him we’d be set.

Marcus Stroud as well...

Man, time flies but those were the dark days.

I didn't think Stroud was that bad....he was injured alot, but there were some games that when he was healthy he was pretty dominant....

On a side note, I was at a Bills game during Stroud's tenure, and my buddy's job was participating in rolling out the flag during the anthem so we were on the field...i was standing at the goalpost, and Stroud was warming up literally 10 feet away from me. The largest man I've ever seen up close.  He looked pretend he was so effin huge...he looked like he ate people.

14 hours ago, Sweats said:

Well now, this is quite possibly the strangest answer for a FA bust I’ve ever read.

Congratulations. 

I went a different direction with the question. TO played well enough but his signing was a symbol of all that had gone wrong in the front office. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BisonMan said:

i forgot about Stroud. I liked that at the time too. I don’t think was as big a bust for me as Dockery.

Dockery wasn't bad per say. But the year before Steve Hutchinson, one of the best all-time, got a 7 year $49 million dollar contract. There was people at bb.com high fiving each other because that was "too much for a guard". Same people the following year were high fiving each other when Dockery got the same contract.

Dockery would've been a decent player if his contract was half as much. But if you pay a guy the same as an all-time great, you better damn well be an all-time great. He wasn't. That's where the frustration lies.

Edited by Your Brown Eye

1 hour ago, Buffalo86 said:

Brian Brohm.  I used to bang the table on a now defunct message board about how we should poach him from the Packers' practice squad.  "He would've been a top 5 pick if he came out a year earlier!"  I also expected big things from WR Chad Jackson, for some reason.

I was the opposite.  Every time someone made a similar statement after we signed Brohm, I would state that Brohm couldn't be the answer because he had cleared waivers before his soph. season & in order for the Brohm supporters to be right, the Bills would have had to outsmarted 31 other GMs and it was inconceivable that Brandon and possibly Nix could have outsmarted some of the best GMs in the league.  I got a lot of responses that asked why I hated Brohm, but it was just a case where I understood how poorly the Bills management was compared with other NFL teams & then GM Brandon wasn't going to be outsmarting anyone. 

16 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Charles Clay.  Overpriced and under producing.

Stupid post.

19 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Either Doug Flutie or Eddie Robinson.

Can't decide which.

I am no Flutie fan, but by what criterion do you judge him a FA mistake?  Not a big fan of his personality, but he wasn't all that bad on the field for two years, and provided us with some of our better memories, in the post-Kelly era.

2 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Stupid post.

I am no Flutie fan, but by what criterion do you judge him a FA mistake?  Not a big fan of his personality, but he wasn't all that bad on the field for two years, and provided us with some of our better memories, in the post-Kelly era.

Bad locker-room presence, grossly over-rated, annoying.

Just now, joesixpack said:

Bad locker-room presence, grossly over-rated, annoying.

I don't disagree on some of that...but he won more than he lost, and he, personally, made a lot of plays to win games.  He wasn't so great in his third season...I just think he would be far, far down on any list of Bills "worst FA signings". 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Larry Triplett is a great choice because he was very expensive and really played like garabage.

im going to throw another out there:

Quinn Early - He had his best season ever in New Orleans and we signed him to a decent sized contract after he eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark.  Quinn was okay with the Bills but he never found the form that he had the previous season.  

Quinn Early made one of my favorite catches ever (early 1996) - a 4th quarter slant and go on 3rd and 18 that he took 63 yards to the the house after Parcells and Belichick bizarrely took a holding penalty instead of letting it go to 4th and 8. They were so confident that Kelly couldn't make a play that they figured they'd get better field position by taking the penalty. It was the go ahead TD, and the Bills ended the game in the last minute when Bruce Smith sacked Bledsoe with the Pats inside the Bills 10 yard line. 

For that reason alone, he is by definition not the worst signing!

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I was the opposite.  Every time someone made a similar statement after we signed Brohm, I would state that Brohm couldn't be the answer because he had cleared waivers before his soph. season & in order for the Brohm supporters to be right, the Bills would have had to outsmarted 31 other GMs and it was inconceivable that Brandon and possibly Nix could have outsmarted some of the best GMs in the league.  I got a lot of responses that asked why I hated Brohm, but it was just a case where I understood how poorly the Bills management was compared with other NFL teams & then GM Brandon wasn't going to be outsmarting anyone. 

Those sure were some great times in Bills history.

11 hours ago, Irv said:

Vince Ferragamo

Technically, they traded for him...it was before the days of true fee-agency in the NFL.  He was only a Bill for about half a season, on maybe, the most gawd-awful teams they ever fielded.  I had season tickets then...you know, Vinny actually moved the ball...but they just couldn't score.  Trivia: he did throw Andre Reed his first TD pass!

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Quinn Early made one of my favorite catches ever (early 1996) - a 4th quarter slant and go on 3rd and 18 that he took 63 yards to the the house after Parcells and Belichick bizarrely took a holding penalty instead of letting it go to 4th and 8. They were so confident that Kelly couldn't make a play that they figured they'd get better field position by taking the penalty. It was the go ahead TD, and the Bills ended the game in the last minute when Bruce Smith sacked Bledsoe with the Pats inside the Bills 10 yard line. 

For that reason alone, he is by definition not the worst signing!

I liked Quinn Early.

I have no problem with the dockery and Langston walker signings. The Bills were terrible on the oline and Cheaped out for years in investing in the line. I was and still am glad they went out and spent money on guys to shore up that line. Yeah, the guys they got weren’t great, but at least they tried.

Dockery, in my view, was just meh, not terrible  (like a mike pucello). Walker actually had some good moments, but was beset by some injuries, as I recall. Plus, walker had that highly entertaining segment on bb.com. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Greatdane21 said:

Dockery by far.   Also Mario Williams because they really only got one good season

You got it backwards on Maro... he had three elite level seasons, and then fell off the map in his 4th season...missed only one game in Buffalo.  Do some of you even watch the games?  39 sacks in 3 years is hardly "not good".

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
2006 21 HOU DE 90 16 16 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 1 0 0 4.5 35 12   6
2007 22 HOU DE 90 16 16 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 1 38 1 14.0 43 16   10
2008* 23 HOU DE 90 16 16           4 0 0 0 0 12.0 44 9   9
2009* 24 HOU DE 90 16 16 0 0 0 0 3 2 0 1 0 0 9.0 38 5   11
2010 25 HOU DE 90 13 13 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 8.5 22 6   5
2011 26 HOU lb 90 5 5 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 5.0 10 1   3
2012 27 BUF DE 94 16 16 0 0 0 0 4 2 0 2 0 0 10.5 37 9   7
2013* 28 BUF DE 94 16 16 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 0 0 0 13.0 28 10   13
2014*+ 29 BUF DE 94 16 16 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 14.5 36 6   18
2015 30 BUF DE 94 15 15                     5.0 15 4   7

On 3/25/2018 at 5:49 PM, Batman1876 said:

TO. A move made to sell tickets not win games. It was just such a huge sign of what the franchise had become. 

He had a pretty good year in Buffalo

I'm glad people aren't mentioning Mario Williams, because he was very good for a few years with us. Just ended poorly.

11 hours ago, Greatdane21 said:

Dockery by far.   Also Mario Williams because they really only got one good season

I spoke too soon...