Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Or some fella made a guess and claimed it was inside info.

...at least we know it wasn't Dunkirk Don or Chadwick Chan.....they're up to their knees in mud building the new domed venue......can't blame them for leaks, right??..........

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gobills1212 said:

You said no way they were trading up. I figured as long as you had the ol' crystal ball dusted off I'd see what the future held!

Another wise a.. This forum is getting over loaded with them. Why don't you put me on ignore because I'll happily add you to my growing list.

9 hours ago, JoeF said:

Several of our posters have speculated on a package like this...so IB is probably throwing his normal **** against the wall.  This particularly low risk for him.  If the deal never gets done, he says Gettleman didn't want to deal; if it gets done for more, he says they negotiated; if it gets done for less--he can claim the price went down when there was no other demand (highly, highly unlikely).  But he will claim credit for the breaking news.

I think Gettleman really wants 1-2019...and it will be part of the deal.  This will give him his QB next year.  The Bills may get to keep 65 and 2-2019 if we add it.

If he wants 2019 1st then no 2018 2nd.

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Darnold is 4rd overall at 7.0. Barkley is #1 at 7.4,  Nelson is 7.3, and Chubb is 7.3. 

Then you take that number and multiply it by positional value:

Darnold 7.0  x 10 position value = 70 score

Pass rusher is the next highest rated position value IMO:

Chubb 7.3 x 4 position value = 29.2 score

Barkley, Chubb and Nelson combined don't equal the value of franchise QB prospect.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Or some fella made a guess and claimed it was inside info.

All he would have to do is follow this board for the past few weeks.  His "information" has shown up here as fans fantasizing opnely on this board.  Not really hard it just takes a willingness to deceive.

1 minute ago, greeneblitz said:

Yeah right, anybody but Josh Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold and Allen are all infinity better, this punk has Ryan Leaf written all over him.

Why is he a punk? Yet you don't think mayfield is

28 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

No offense, but those player grades are from Lance Zierlein and are in no way influenced by Daniel Jeremiah. It is his and his grade alone. 

So no, those aren’t Daniel Jeremiahs grades or a combination of other scouts. It is literally one guys opinion.

Lance Zierlein thinks Darnold is a 7.0 and now your going to ask, who’s Lance Zierlein.

No offense to you as I see the tweet. I have a difficult time believing that he is the only one writing that draft tracker as the NFL has 50+ writers and Zierlein has only worked for NFL.com since 2015! That tracker has been there for quite a few years. 

No single writers name is on that tracker that I see and most times when you have a single contributor their name is on their work. I see that he lists his own mock draft as do other writers and they put their names to it. 

Here is a link to the tracker in 2014 before Zierlein even worked for NFL.com  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade

20 minutes ago, Radar said:

Another wise a.. This forum is getting over loaded with them. Why don't you put me on ignore because I'll happily add you to my growing list.

You speak in absolutes and get salty when someone disagrees or tries to joke with you? Even took the oppertunity to add an obligitory ' the world is going to pot' complaint lol. Sounds like you should put yourself in ignore. That ought to solve your issue...

Edited by gobills1212

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Don't fall into the trap of assuming that it is automatic that we could covert all those assets into quality football players, if we do not make the move.

A high pick doesn't always equal a good football player.  

We'd probably be lucky to hit on half of those picks.

Sometimes It feels like organizations don't want to do their homework!

Check out some years when some really good QB's were taken... -They WERE NOT plentiful, and you had to study-up on them.

Rodgers - 2005

Who else was there? -Alex Smith? -That's about it...

Joe Flacco - 2008

Who else was there besides him and Matt Ryan in the 1st?

Ben Roethlisberger -2004

Because of his amazing NFL Pedigree, I won't count Eli Manning in this draft. -Who else is there in Rd 1? -Phil Rivers?

The point is, You have to know what your'e fishing for... it may require you to cut a hole in the ice, have the right bait, and wait two hours to get the prize you want...

8 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

You speak in absolutes and get salty when someone disagrees or tries to joke with you? Even took the oppertunity to add an obligitory ' the world is going to pot' complaint lol. Sounds like you should put yourself in ignore. That ought to solve your issue...

9 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Bye, bye, my friend.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Well, one of them is Daniel Jeremiah a former NFL scout for three NFL teams Eagles, Browns, Ravens. There are other highly regarded NFL scouts, players who put these grades together and they are pretty accurate. 

This year teams are acting so desperate to get a top QB like the NY Jets moving from #6 to #3. It's like Bills fans are also getting desperate thinking that they will miss out.

There is only one QB graded at 7.0 and that is Darnold who will probably go #1 overall. Rosen has a grade of 6.1 because he has more baggage. Both Mayfield, Allen have grades of 6.0 and Jackson a 5.9. Why give up the farm and all the animals for a 6.1 when one of two 6.0s just might fall out of the top six. Mason Rudolph grades a 5.6. 

The only player I can see Buffalo trading up for is Darnold as the rest grade pretty close together. See what I'm saying at all? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922045/article/top-10-qb-prospects-of-past-3-nfl-draft-classes-darnold-no-1

Daniel Jeremiah says 4 of the 6 QB prospects with the highest draft grades in the past 3 years are all in this draft.

That's very rare that there are so many highly graded QBs in the same class. It hasn't happened in quite a while as far as I know. 

Darnold 1 (graded at 7 - last QB with a 7 or above was Andrew Luck for reference) 

Wentz 2

Rosen 3

Goff 4

Mayfleid 5

Allen 6

Watson 7

Seems like a very good year to take a shot at a QB prospect, especially with next year's class looking thin. I'm not pounding the table demanding that they sell the farm and move up but I will be more than good with it if that's what they do. I'll be good with a smaller trade up or a QB at 12 too. I'd rather land one of those top 4 if possible though. 

Is one of these guys really worth all the draft capital to move up to get?  It might be better to take Lamar at 12 and use the rest of the draft capital accumulated to give him a team that can compete year after year.  Especially, if the best we can do is to get the fourth or fifth best QB by moving up.

Edited by richardb1952

37 minutes ago, Radar said:

Bye, bye, my friend.

I'll miss you and the 11 worth while comments you've made. It's a shame. You'd think with a handle like that you'd stumble on to a quality take a little more often...

Edited by gobills1212

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I.e., a bad draft for the difference making positions outside of qb.

Makes you wonder about Giants draft strategy then.  If they're not taking QB at #2, they absolutely have to trade out to maximize the haul in the positions they need

14 minutes ago, Threedollabills said:

Has anyone considered the possibility that neither the giants nor the browns will give up their picks under any circumstance? Maybe the Jets didn't go higher because there is nowhere higher to go.

I've considered both possibilities, especially the Browns, who would be crazy to risk their QB of the future. As to the Giants, while I personally think they're nuts on passing up the opportunity to draft their QB for 10 years after Manning retires, they don't have a ton of picks, their roster needs upgrades and in a deep draft, we are uniquely positioned for them to acquire of ton of picks in this draft. 

And the Giants wouldn't make a trade with the Jest if their lives depended on it, so that avenue was never available to them. 

I think the Bills just need to wait until draft night.

Let the first 3 picks happen, then move up if they feel they have to.

I would assume Darnold goes 1. Then Barkley, then Rosen (hopefully Allen). 

Then make some calls. Who knows, their guy might fall to 12. That would be best case for all involved.

5 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Then make some calls. Who knows, their guy might fall to 12. That would be best case for all involved.

I agree with everything except the “their guy might fall to 12” part. 

Even if that’s what would of happened, I think if they truly like a guy they’ll make a trade sooner than that to move up to nab him. I’m pretty much expecting a climb at this point. 

I can be wrong, but I feel it in me bones. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I agree with everything except the “their guy might fall to 12” part. 

Even if that’s what would of happened, I think if they truly like a guy they’ll make a trade sooner than that to move up to nab him. I’m pretty much expecting a climb at this point. 

I can be wrong, but I feel it in me bones. 

Yeah, letting 2 divisional opponents pick before you in a rare QB stacked draft is the stuff of nightmares and is exactly the awful regard for QBs the Bills org has had in the drought. Time to see if it has really changed. Even if Miami or New York Giants doesn't draft one, waiting til 12 means allowing for at least 3 QB needy teams to pick before you in CLE, NYJ, DEN. So you are either hoping your guy isn't picked, or you are hoping you win the lottery and the guy left over was the best pick.

Throw in the kitchen sink and get this done. 

Edited by What a Tuel

47 minutes ago, GG said:

Makes you wonder about Giants draft strategy then.  If they're not taking QB at #2, they absolutely have to trade out to maximize the haul in the positions they need

I think that is the huge question mark for them. If they aren't taking a QB and they aren't taking Barkley, there is absolutely no way they should not trade down. They only have something like 5 picks in this draft. The have issues with offensive line and are switching to a 3-4 defense so they can use the picks. 

5 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

Yeah right, anybody but Josh Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold and Allen are all infinity better, this punk has Ryan Leaf written all over him.

Ha ha 

Rosen has Leaf written all over him. 

Ummm Mayfield closer to that designation 

Man I really hope the Zay jones arrest has no impact on our willingness to trade up.  I.e.  if Beane starts thinking in terms of this potentially creating another void which makes the idea of hanging on to his picks increase its appeal.  I don't think it would factor in, but it still worries me a bit.  The timing of this really sucked.  Hope Zay is alright, but I also really hope it does not cause a distraction at a time like this...

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

So we are assuming no one else potentially moves up to four and beats us to the punch

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

So we are assuming no one else potentially moves up to four and beats us to the punch

Sure. People are in panic mode here. There are players in this draft much better than the QB’s. And teams will want those players.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I've considered both possibilities, especially the Browns, who would be crazy to risk their QB of the future. As to the Giants, while I personally think they're nuts on passing up the opportunity to draft their QB for 10 years after Manning retires, they don't have a ton of picks, their roster needs upgrades and in a deep draft, we are uniquely positioned for them to acquire of ton of picks in this draft. 

And the Giants wouldn't make a trade with the Jest if their lives depended on it, so that avenue was never available to them. 

I also fail to believe that Beane who supposedly gauging trade interest in the draft would fail to realize that 1 and 2 were out of play and he let Indy fall through the cracks and let the Jests go there....

I want home brew in Buffalo. The way to know you have the best product is to brew it yourself. If you can't develop young talented QB to be successful you will always be looking elsewhere. It's not about the cost of moving up, if you can develop the guy you select to be successful. 

I agree with most here it's a crapshoot. You might draft a superior talent when getting a higher pick. I am in favor of that. Move up if you have to. Just be able to develop the picks you make and that is the real test.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

No offense to you as I see the tweet. I have a difficult time believing that he is the only one writing that draft tracker as the NFL has 50+ writers and Zierlein has only worked for NFL.com since 2015! That tracker has been there for quite a few years. 

No single writers name is on that tracker that I see and most times when you have a single contributor their name is on their work. I see that he lists his own mock draft as do other writers and they put their names to it. 

Here is a link to the tracker in 2014 before Zierlein even worked for NFL.com  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade

His name is in small print at the bottom of every single draft profile page.

Its his grade. I’m sorry but you’re wrong.

And if you look you can see the draft “grades” have changed throughout there inception. Andrew Luck was a 97.0 for example. That just means someone else was doing it.