Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

2 hours ago, Yav said:

What happens if you fade away all those picks and AJ beats out the rookie and is the franchise QB with the rookie being another pretender? 

Everyone will complain and want blood.

on the flip side what happens if that rookie becomes the next manning or Brady,, we win superbowls and rule the afc for years to come? Nobody blinks at the 5 picks we gave up for him

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know. Does anyone? What if instead of using a bunch of picks for one guy, we drafted 3 QBs with 3 of those picks? Would that have a higher success rate than going all in on one guy for even more picks? Again, I don't know. But the idea that there is exactly one sound strategy for getting your franchise QB is wrong. I won't hate it if we make a big trade up but I definitely won't cry that the Bills aren't trying if they sit and let the draft come to them.

I don’t have the data in front of me but it exists. I am (very) confident that the success ratio of a top 3 QB is greater than drafting 3 guys. Top 3 guys are roughly 50%. You’d have to take the likelihood at every other place and add them together (or a pick in the 20’s may be 20%, a pick in the 50’s 5% and a pick at 120 3%). 

5 minutes ago, GG said:

How did Rams & Eagles fare in their recent moves to secure QBs at the top of the draft?

Maybe we want  to give it a year or two to figure out?

Robert Griffin Passing Statistics for Career Games 2014 to 2016

Games Passing   Passing  
Year Tm G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
Average 14 14   266 424   3202 18   8                 34 246          
Per 16 Games 16 16   304 485   3659 21   10                 39 281        
2012-2013 WAS 28 28 12-16-0 532 849 62.7 6403 36 4.2 17 2 88 7.5 7.5 12.0 228.7 91.5   68 491 6.45 6.40 7.4    

Robert Griffin Passing Statistics for Career Games 2014 to 2016

Games Passing   Passing  
Year Tm G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
Average 7 6   117 180   1290 3   4                 28 182          
Per 16 Games 16 14   267 413   2949 7   10                 63 417        
2014-2016 WAS,CLE 14 12 3-9-0 234 361 64.8 2580 6 1.7 9 2.5 69 7.1 6.4 11.0 184.3 81.0   55 365 5.32 4.64 13.2    

26 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Pretty sure you just proved Wayne's point.

The team gave up a relative bounty to move up and draft Watkins--a move that ended up not working out as they planned--and yet they ended the 17-year playoff drought a mere 3 seasons later.

Giving up a bounty didn't set the team back a decade then; why would it now?

:lol: Pretty sure I did just the opposite!

Watkins wasn't a part of that playoff JOKE... -He was gone when the bills failed to control their own destiny, and rode Andy Dalton's arm to an embarrassing post-

season loss... I look at it this way... Marcus Mariota was probably the best QB prospect I'd seen since Russell Willson... If we KEEP the pick we give CLE, and

perhaps package it with something else in '15, there's a chance we end up with Mariota instead of Ron Darby, -Who's also no longer here... :rolleyes:

The REAL problem is this team isn't any better at scouting than the punters on this board.

Edited by #34fan

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes, waiting and taking whatever QB is left later in the draft has worked out extremely well for the team these last 30 drafts.  :thumbsup:

#1 Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.- WON 6 SBs

#2 Aaron Rodgers was a late 1st, 22nd overall. WON SB

#3 Ben Rothlisberger was a mid-round pick, 11th overall. WON 2 SBs

#4 Drew Brees was a second-round pick, 32nd overall. WON SB

#5 Carson Wentz, first round, 2nd overall pick in 2016.

#6 Russell Wilson was a 3rd pick, 75th overall. WON 2 SB

#7 Cam Newton, 1st overall. went to an SB

#8 Matthew Stafford, 1st overall. playoffs

#9 Andrew Luck, 1st overall. playoffs

#10 Phillip Rivers, 1st round 4th overall. Playoffs

#11Jimmy Garappolo, 2nd round, 62nd overall.

#12 Kirk Cousins, 4th round, 102nd overall.

#13 Jamis Winston, 1st overall.

#14 Dak Prescott, 4th round, 135th overall. Playoffs. 

#15 Marcus Mariota, 1st round, 2nd pick overall. Playoffs

#16 Derek Carr, 2nd round, #36 overall.Playoffs. 

#17 Alex Smith, 1st round, 1st overall. playoffs

#18 Deshaun Watson, 1st round, 12th overall. 

#19 Jared Goff, 1st round, 1st overall.

#20 Andy Dalton, 2nd round, 35th overall. playoffs.

#21 Tyrod Taylor, 6th round,180th overall. playoffs.

#22 Ryan Tannehill, 1st round, 8th overall.

#23 Joe Flacco, 1st round, 18th overall. WON SB

#24 Eli Manning, 1st round, 1st overall. WON 2 SB

#25 Mitch Turbisky, 1st round, 2nd overall. 

#26 Sam Bradford, 1st round, 1st overall. 

#27 Case Keenum -UNDRAFTED

#28 Jay Cutler, 1st round, 11th overall. 

#29 Carson Palmer, 1st round, 1st overall. Playoffs

#30 Deshone Kizer, 2nd round, 52nd overall. 

#31 Trevor Siemian, 7th round, 250th overall.

#32 Blake Bortles, 1st round, 3rd overall. Playoffs

#33 Nick Foles, 3rd round, 88th overall. WON SB 

Think I got this pretty close.

Looking over all those QBs who have been picked in the top 5 only Eli Manning has won 2 super bowls. Almost half that have been picked very early and made the playoffs. Six QB's have won super bowls have been picked later than the top 5, three are first round picks. 

I think the point here is not the fact that Buffalo hasn't spent the picks to find that franchise QB because they did try with first-round pick JP Losman, or third-round pick Trent Edwards. I think it's more of a testimony of their scouting/talent evaluation incompetence since the Jim Kelly days.

You don't NEED to draft a QB with the first or second overall pick. You just NEED to know what the hell you are doing when you evaluate them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, #34fan said:

:lol: Pretty sure I did just the opposite!

Watkins wasn't a part of that playoff JOKE... -He was gone when the bills failed to control their own destiny, and rode Andy Dalton's arm to an embarrassing post-

season loss... I look at it this way... Marcus Mariota was probably the best QB prospect I'd seen since Russell Willson... If we KEEP the pick we give CLE, and perhaps package it

with something else in '15, there's a chance we end up with Mariota instead of Ron Darby, -Who's also no longer here... :rolleyes:

The REAL problem is this team isn't any better at scouting than the punters on this board.

Nope. You completely missed Wayne's point and are now making outrageous claims.  At what point was this team in position to land Mariota instead of Darby?

5 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

So basically you want 2014 and 2015 all over again? Cool. Give me a QB, and then I will load up after. 

2015 was Rex part 1 so that had more of a bearing than our player talent pool.  We hopefully have our coach so let's not Seneca-Niagara him into the unemployment line.  

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

You don't NEED to draft a QB with the first or second overall pick. You just NEED to know what the hell you are doing when you evaluate them. 

I'll reference my earlier post so as not to be obnoxious by repeating myself

13 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

on the flip side what happens if that rookie becomes the next manning or Brady,, we win superbowls and rule the afc for years to come? Nobody blinks at the 5 picks we gave up for him

Oh I agree, but I think it's more likely that neither QB works out. IMO the percentage is against you.

16 minutes ago, GG said:

How did Rams & Eagles fare in their recent moves to secure QBs at the top of the draft?

Follow up point:
One year after the draft, Goff might have been considered a mistake. But he was fortunate and his team surrounded him with great talent at LT, 2 WR and one of the best offensive minds around right now. Are you thinking our team is going to follow that path after we move up to #1 or #2 to get Rosen/Darnold? Hmmm. I wonder how.

Two years after the draft, Carson Wentz injured his leg. He is recuperating, but a good part of his value lies in his ability to run/be mobile and attack the defense in multiple ways. He's aggressive and I think he's going to have a lengthy injury record. You might not want to take any victory lap on him either. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JXCOL3 said:

The best part about this if it does happen is that we could potentially box out the jets from the QB they wanted. Which would make this trade that much better

And then the Jets can make Cleveland a big offer to move to #1

24 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Pretty sure you just proved Wayne's point.

The team gave up a relative bounty to move up and draft Watkins--a move that ended up not working out as they planned--and yet they ended the 17-year playoff drought a mere 3 seasons later.

Giving up a bounty didn't set the team back a decade then; why would it now?

It wasn't just the bounty for Watkins...........they made the playoffs with just Shaq(on IR) and White to show for the previous 17 years worth of their first rounders since Donahoe passed on Drew Brees in favor of Nate Clements.

But man........getting Clements, Schobel, Travis Henry and Jonas Jennings in the first 4 picks was a GREAT haul.

An on paper-hole-filling-draft-niks dream in Dwight Adams final year in charge of college scouting for the Bills.

That would be something like a Denzel Ward, Marcus Davenport, Sony Michel and Tyrell Crosby haul....with no busts...... in rounds 1-3 this year.

But....anyway........that group stopped impacting the Bills about a decade ago..........Drew Brees keeps playing.

8 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Follow up point:
One year after the draft, Goff might have been considered a mistake. But he was fortunate and his team surrounded him with great talent at LT, 2 WR and one of the best offensive minds around right now. Are you thinking our team is going to follow that path after we move up to #1 or #2 to get Rosen/Darnold? Hmmm. I wonder how.

Two years after the draft, Carson Wentz injured his leg. He is recuperating, but a good part of his value lies in his ability to run/be mobile and attack the defense in multiple ways. He's aggressive and I think he's going to have a lengthy injury record. You might not want to take any victory lap on him either. 

Buddy Nix approves of your message.  Eventually you'll strike gold with Levi Brown.  If you're willing to sit through decades of futility.

It absolutely blows my mind that Bills fans had a front row seat to 4 general managers over 15 years completely blowing off the QB position with predictable results, and the remedy for the situation is more of the same

56 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Still an opinion... history has taught us that Darnold (or any of them) could be good or bad... or just OK... no one really knows for sure.  If you did, then making the trade would be easy.

That's not the point though. To say anyone but Darnold makes no sense. 

12 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

And then the Jets can make Cleveland a big offer to move to #1

I would think John Dorsey wants his QB at #1 and #4 can trade down unless Barkley is still there. Browns and Giants have it made this draft.

4 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Follow up point:

I agree that it's very important that both Wentz and Goff found some brilliant minds to help guide them. Goff, in particular, is so lucky to have Sean McVay as his HC because he really stunk in 2016 with a 0-7 record, 5 TDs, 7 INTs a 54.6 comp% under Jeff Fisher and he was looking like a very poor choice before the new HC. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So Chris Trapasso just stated on WGR that he believes Josh Allen or Sam Darnold will be the #1 overall pick.  

These are the whispers and the talks he's been hearing from league personnel....

Huh, who'd have thought?

This trade is not happening because the Giants rejected this. This is a weak offer from the Bills. And this is our best offer. This was rejected, fellas. Otherwise, this trade would have been done yesterday. We have to be reasonable and realistic; Giants don't want our $hit. Notice that Beane did not offer 2019 First Rounder. Of course, I wouldn't either.  Bills' current proposal, minus 2019 First Rounder, is trash. Giants might have other offers that are better than the Bills such as Denver's 5th, Tampa Bay's 7th, Chicago Bears 8th, 49ers 9th, and so forth.

I've said before, I only give up those picks, including 2019 First Rounder, for a healthy Andrew Luck who can pass a physical. Obviously, Luck is not available anymore.

We're staying put at 12 and drafting the QB that lands there. Most likely the dude is Lamar Jackson or whoever is higher than Lamar. Only Beane knows that.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Buddy Nix approves of your message.  Eventually you'll strike gold with Levi Brown.  If you're willing to sit through decades of futility.

It absolutely blows my mind that Bills fans had a front row seat to 4 general managers over 15 years completely blowing off the QB position with predictable results, and the remedy for the situation is more of the same

It absolutely blows my mind that people like you blather on and on, when there is nothing approaching proof that you need to "move up" to get anything. Just keep stomping your hands and crying - its a very effective tool for making a point. I mean, instead of actually saying something.

Ben wasn't the first QB off the board; neither was Brees, neither was Brady, neither was Cousins and on and on and on. It's worthwhile that my response was to some idiot (was that you? Sorry if it was) saying both that you had to move up to get a QB and that you cannot wait for someone to fall to you. When in fact, moving up ended very badly for the Skins and it was in the same year that their ultimate savior literally fell to them.

Anyways ... 

What you need to do is evaluate talent appropriately, put a proper price tag on it, and don't let emotion get in the way of making trades. To this point, the management has shown us a level head. 

32 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

#1 Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.- WON 6 SBs

#2 Aaron Rodgers was a late 1st, 22nd overall. WON SB

#3 Ben Rothlisberger was a mid-round pick, 11th overall. WON 2 SBs

#4 Drew Brees was a second-round pick, 32nd overall. WON SB

#5 Carson Wentz, first round, 2nd overall pick in 2016.

#6 Russell Wilson was a 3rd pick, 75th overall. WON 2 SB

#7 Cam Newton, 1st overall. went to an SB

#8 Matthew Stafford, 1st overall. playoffs

#9 Andrew Luck, 1st overall. playoffs

#10 Phillip Rivers, 1st round 4th overall. Playoffs

#11Jimmy Garappolo, 2nd round, 62nd overall.

#12 Kirk Cousins, 4th round, 102nd overall.

#13 Jamis Winston, 1st overall.

#14 Dak Prescott, 4th round, 135th overall. Playoffs. 

#15 Marcus Mariota, 1st round, 2nd pick overall. Playoffs

#16 Derek Carr, 2nd round, #36 overall.Playoffs. 

#17 Alex Smith, 1st round, 1st overall. playoffs

#18 Deshaun Watson, 1st round, 12th overall. 

#19 Jared Goff, 1st round, 1st overall.

#20 Andy Dalton, 2nd round, 35th overall. playoffs.

#21 Tyrod Taylor, 6th round,180th overall. playoffs.

#22 Ryan Tannehill, 1st round, 8th overall.

#23 Joe Flacco, 1st round, 18th overall. WON SB

#24 Eli Manning, 1st round, 1st overall. WON 2 SB

#25 Mitch Turbisky, 1st round, 2nd overall. 

#26 Sam Bradford, 1st round, 1st overall. 

#27 Case Keenum -UNDRAFTED

#28 Jay Cutler, 1st round, 11th overall. 

#29 Carson Palmer, 1st round, 1st overall. Playoffs

#30 Deshone Kizer, 2nd round, 52nd overall. 

#31 Trevor Siemian, 7th round, 250th overall.

#32 Blake Bortles, 1st round, 3rd overall. Playoffs

#33 Nick Foles, 3rd round, 88th overall. WON SB 

Think I got this pretty close.

Looking over all those QBs who have been picked in the top 5 only Eli Manning has won 2 super bowls. Almost half that have been picked very early and made the playoffs. Six QB's have won super bowls have been picked later than the top 5, three are first round picks. 

I think the point here is not the fact that Buffalo hasn't spent the picks to find that franchise QB because they did try with first-round pick JP Losman, or third-round pick Trent Edwards. I think it's more of a testimony of their scouting/talent evaluation incompetence since the Jim Kelly days.

wasn't there also someone named Peyton?

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

This franchise has gone nearly 60 years without ever using its highest draft slot on a QB.  At some point, isn't it time to stop aiming and pull the trigger?

Todd Collins?...not sure but thats what I thought when I read it.

EDIT....nope Collins was selected in the 1995 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills in the second round with the 45th overall pick

please continue on to the next reply.  Rueben was the #1 that year

Edited by The Tomcat

Just now, Foxx said:

wasn't there also someone named Peyton?

Actually, in bringing that up you are making the point for the poster. Because you have to consider who was picked second that same year.

The Chargers traded up to get Ryan Leaf.

2 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Oh my... 

Ok, so... the Bills have 2 this year. 

3 1st rd picks, would include 2 this year and 1 next THUS giving up 2 years of 1st rd picks-theoretically of course.

The Skins however, had to use 3 years of 1st round picks as they didn'

just stop.

Please.

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Man that Sammy Watkins trade really set the franchise back 10 years didn't it? Or did they just end the drought 3 years later? I can't remember.

I love your plan, just keep hoping a QB lands in their lap, brilliant. And "bite the bullet" got the Bills Dareus and Mike Williams, you need to bit the bullet and have it a year where there is a QB to take.

Thank you, that was my point.

You want to make your point about trading up for a playoff QB....

By using a year we made the playoffs with a 6th round QB..

And by illustration of a trade for a WR that wasn't on the team for that playoff appearance.

:lol:

Edited by #34fan

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

? The Redskins traded 

that year's 1st round

that year's  2nd Round

Plus #1 in the NEXT TWO YEARS

They were barren. It's actually quite an Apple to Apple comparison. You are saying a team won't get hurt by trading up. The Skins were totally fckd ...

And on top of that you made some kind of comment that you can't just wait for a QB to fall into your laps. LMAO. GTFO here.

Good point, skins blew it by selling the farm for a qb.  Only to have the qb they waited for turn into the highest paid qb in the league.  Nothing connects that situation to us but it is kind of the golden example.  No qbs worth it in 2019 so might as well go all in now

3 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Actually, in bringing that up you are making the point for the poster. Because you have to consider who was picked second that same year.

just looking for factual accuracy here. there was another player selected in the top 5 that also won 2 Superbowls.

Edited by Foxx

17 minutes ago, GG said:

Waiting until the 12th, the 22nd or even the second round is hardly blowing off the QB position.  It is all about value.  Teams that chase guys and grossly overpay in value are not successful over the long term.

37 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

At what point was this team in position to land Mariota instead of Darby?

Because of the Watkins trade, there wasn't a 1st rounder in '15 to parlay with anything... Instead we got Ron Darby.

It seems like we consistently pick the WRONG year to make these moves.

5 minutes ago, #34fan said:

You want to make you point about trading up for a playoff QB....

And by illustration of a trade for a WR that wasn't on the team for that playoff appearance.

How can you be missing the point this badly? His point is that giving up picks to move up doesn't set the team back at all.  With every post you reiterate that his point is salient...if the guy that they traded a future #1 pick and a 4th round pick to move up and acquire wasn't even on the team 3 seasons later when they made the playoffs, how is trading multiple assets to move up mortgaging he future?

Just now, #34fan said:

Because of the Watkins trade, there wasn't a 1st rounder in '15 to parlay with anything... Instead we got Ron Darby.

It seems like we consistently pick the WRONG year to make these moves.

You're contending that they were somehow going to go from the 19th overall pick to the 2nd overall pick that year?  No, that wasn't going to happen; they lacked the assets.

Also, if the implication is that this is also the wrong year to make such a move, then I ask again: if not now, when?

Just now, #34fan said:

You want to make you point about trading up for a playoff QB....

Just stop, the point has completely sailed over your head and you’re embarrassing yourself. You can use as many emojis as you like, it still doesn’t make it funny to anyone but you.

You said that giving up draft assets could set this franchise back 10 years. The Bills gave up draft assets to select a WR and 3 years later, without that WR, without their 2nd round pick from the following year, without their 2011 1st round pick on the team, they made the playoffs.

Tell me more about giving up draft assists and keep banging the drum, you’re doing an excellent job.

Here’s to another 10 year set back.

? <——— see what I did there?

• Haha (+1) 1

This is "Trust The Process."

Trading away players and dumping salaries has all led to this point, the Bills can not sit on their hands here and kick the can down the road.

I completely agree & it would be hard to sit down & can kick simultaneously anyway.

36 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

just stop.

Please.

Ok, so... the Bills have 2 this year. 

3 1st rd picks, would include 2 this year and 1 next THUS giving up 2 years of 1st rd picks-theoretically of course.

The Skins however, had to use 3 years of 1st round picks as they didn't have 2 in the same year. THUS giving up 3 years of 1st round picks. (2 without)

As far as 'some comment' about not waiting for a qb to fall into your lap- my god! If you are going to poke at a comment you disagree with, at least get the comment correct. Don't be lazy and take a holier than thou approach ESPECIALLY when you dont even know what you are talking about.

If there is a guy they like - go get him! At all costs! Its essentially a pass to trade up WITHOUT having to sell the farm.

Life tip #1 - learn math.

Life tip #2 - dont be lazy

Life tip #3 - when trying to be a jerk, at least have your facts correct so you dont come out looking like a donkey. 

You think the most pertinent and sensible thing to do is stand pat. 

Go figure, you are also a Tyrod fan. I totally understand you are still working through some things there and might be a little ornery - but dont take it out on your fellow fans. 

The cache that has been collected has been done so in an excellent year for both talent and opportunity.  

I think the most sensible thing to do is swing for the fence and try and get the guy who can keep us in any game for the next 10 years.

Another little piece of advice for your personal interaction skills - if you want to be taken seriously in a situation where neither you nor I can be proven correct and its simply POV -POV - dont be close minded and condescending. It just makes tools out of folks. You obviously arent pulling your point out of thin air, but its MUCH harder to even listen let along take it seriously when you act like that. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again... guess whos NOT the Bills GM? YOU or I. That means there is at least 1 person in this world smarter than you and go figure.... HE is the person making the decision!!!

So, if you can bring the ignorance level down a bit and would like to have a discussion like a normal human being -please, explain how the Bills parting with 2 #1s this year (to get to 2 - a #1 rd pick in return) along with a #1 in 2019 WHICH still allows a semblance of a normal draft in BOTH years is A) selling the farm B) ANYTHING like what the Skins did OTHER than trade 3 rd 1 picks in total.

The Sammy trade in the end was a loser - but we essentially have a bonus 1st this year and the Watkins trade didnt put the Bills in the dumpster for years top come...so why couldnt they survive what essentially amounts to next years draft w/o a 1st rounder? EVEN if we went crazy and (just for the sake of discussion) gave up both 1s this year and a 2nd, along with next years 1. That still leaves you with your QB drafted in the 1st, a 2nd, 2 3's and aside from next years 1 - EVERYTHING else is the same. To me, that isnt exactly a franchise killer let alone one for years to come... unless you are making an assumption about the rookie qb and if thats the case there is a saying for that....

Good luck to you...

Edited by gobills1212

14 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

It absolutely blows my mind that people like you blather on and on, when there is nothing approaching proof that you need to "move up" to get anything. Just keep stomping your hands and crying - its a very effective tool for making a point. I mean, instead of actually saying something.

Ben wasn't the first QB off the board; neither was Brees, neither was Brady, neither was Cousins and on and on and on. It's worthwhile that my response was to some idiot (was that you? Sorry if it was) saying both that you had to move up to get a QB and that you cannot wait for someone to fall to you. When in fact, moving up ended very badly for the Skins and it was in the same year that their ultimate savior literally fell to them.

Anyways ... 

What you need to do is evaluate talent appropriately, put a proper price tag on it, and don't let emotion get in the way of making trades. To this point, the management has shown us a level head. 

There's only one way to guarantee to never get a hit, and that's never taking a swing.  Keep battling against the odds and enjoy another 17 years of futility, Buddy.  

One of these days you'll show off the baby.

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Hopefully no on Trump and hopefully soon for the Sabres.  Now was your response in anyway related to my post?

You said no way they were trading up. I figured as long as you had the ol' crystal ball dusted off I'd see what the future held!