Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

6 minutes ago, PIZ said:

If he's the right guy, 12 isn't too high.  I'm not the only one.

Guess the Steelers are wasting their time too.

The Steelers have the 28th pick. 12 and 28 are a big difference. Also they are not going to use that pick on Rudolph. I could see them taking him the 2nd, 60th overall. Would be a bit of an overdraft there, but not bad value wise. 

They also have a franchise quarterback, so they are in position to draft and develop guys. If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter. 

They also have only 5 picks. They aren't using their first round pick on Rudolph. NO way. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills do this... the 3-13 G-Men will be back in the Playoffs before we are.  We can't go freaking crazy because the Jets did.  We have the ammo for some damned good additions on both sides of the ball, with youth and depth.  I know we need a QB, but damn. 

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Take this as you will

I would give them the 1st rounder next year and keep 53 and 65 and next years 2nd rounder.

Next years 1st rounder will most likely be in the 30-32 range anyway.................:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I'm curious, have you even watched any of these guys play? I've watched every QB in the draft, have you? Or are you riding off the back of forum GMs and talking heads?

I've watched a lot of Allen. Dude can sling it, but accuracy is still very scary, especially on the run. No thanks.

I have watched some of Rudolph too, and while he looks good, I can't help but think "meh." 

If we are taking a QB outside the top choices, get Jackson. 

3 minutes ago, McD said:

If the Bills do this... the 3-13 G-Men will be back in the Playoffs before we are.  We can't go freaking crazy because the Jets did.  We have the ammo for some damned good additions on both sides of the ball, with youth and depth.  I know we need a QB, but damn. 

I've asked this a few times, but haven't really gotten a response from anyone else, so I'll ask you...

This franchise has been in existence for almost 60 years, and has never used it's first draft slot to select a QB. If now is not the time to be aggressive, then when?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

1999 was the last time QBs went 1-2-3; Couch-McNabb-A. Smith

The #2 pick behind the Browns feels like a very good spot to be, no one I would rather have picking a QB in front of you.

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I've asked this a few times, but haven't really gotten a response from anyone else, so I'll ask you...

This franchise has been in existence for almost 60 years, and has never used it's first draft slot to select a QB. If now is not the time to be aggressive, then when?

Bills fans have been conditioned to accept mediocrity and fear anything different.

• Like (+1) 2

Mason Rudolph upside= AJ McCarron upside but one was a 5th round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mason-rudolph?id=2559942

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aj-mccarron?id=2543497

Plus AJ has NFL experience now, MR belongs no where near #12. We have that kind of upside right now!

Edited by horned dogs
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Define first.   There was Manual (#16) in 2013... 

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The #2 pick behind the Browns feels like a very good spot to be, no one I would rather have picking a QB in front of you.

Bills fans have been conditioned to accept mediocrity and fear anything different.

The homeless man says he has “a plan” this time and has done his research. Haslam trusts the process. 

6 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I've watched a lot of Allen. Dude can sling it, but accuracy is still very scary, especially on the run. No thanks.

I have watched some of Rudolph too, and while he looks good, I can't help but think "meh." 

If we are taking a QB outside the top choices, get Jackson. 

Allen looks like Ben Roethlisberger at times, he has that kind of ability. Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield cannot do what Allen can do.

Rudolph is drawing interest from the Patriots and Steelers, which kind of tells you everything you need to know about him.

I'm sticking to my guns, I'm behind either Allen or Rudolph. Flame away.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Interesting study: since 1999, each time the Browns have drafted a QB in the first round, the very next QB off the board has gone on to a more successful career.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Define first.   There was Manual (#16) in 2013... 

He wasn't their first draft slot; they moved down from 8 overall 

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Interesting study: since 1999, each time the Browns have drafted a QB in the first round, the very next QB off the board has gone on to a more successful career.

Does that count the last two QBs they actively traded?

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Allen looks like Ben Roethlisberger at times, he has that kind of ability. Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield cannot do what Allen can do.

Rudolph is drawing interest from the Patriots and Steelers, which kind of tells you everything you need to know about him.

I can respect this. I founded the Luke Falk Cult after all, and I still support him. Don't forget, though, the Pats took Ryan Mallet and Bryan Hoyer onboard, and got extremely lucky with Brady. 

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

EJ Manual was taken with the Bills first pick in the '13 Draft.  I'm all about being aggressive, but do you throw away an entire Draft in the "hopes" that a guy can be the one?  I'm not overly excited about ANY of these QB's but everyone is going crazy about grabbing one.  Is it a need?  Yep a big one.  Would I like to get one with our first pick?  Sure.  Do I want to have a shiny new toy with nobody for him to throw the ball to?  With a 30 yr old RB and an O-Line that needs help and depth.  Does he sit on the sideline while our porous D can't stop the run and has a hard time getting to the QB and can't cover a TE?  I mean a good young QB could be put into a HORRIBLE situation and be damaged forever if not in a good system/position.     

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's why I said define it.   Their first pick in round one is still their first draft slot...

6 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Go back and watch Wyoming vs. Iowa and Wyoming vs. Oregon and please tell us where he looked like Roethlisberger during those games.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Detective

18 minutes ago, McD said:

Additions don't mean shite without a QB.

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Next year.

• Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, ALF said:

I posted in another tread

To move up to #2  might  offer #12  ,  #22  ,   2019  #1   and a player if necessary. Maybe 2019 , 2nd rd also

The Bills need the remainder of 2018 picks  for needed players now. 

With all the cap space in 2019 from dead cap leaving , will have plenty of cap space for free agency to cover loss of 2019 #1.

Giants will have big time offers after Jets moved to #3. This could be the most important draft ever.

I can live with this, save for next year's 2nd rounder.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Does that count the last two QBs they actively traded?

I am not counting Kizer, though I would argue that if you get traded after your rookie season, then something's not right.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That's why I said define it.   Their first pick in round one is still their first draft slot...

No.  Their first draft slot was No. 8 overall; they used that to trade down.  I think you know what I'm saying.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Go back and watch Wyoming vs. Iowa and Wyoming vs. Oregon and please tell us where he looked like Roethlisberger during those games.

He had no supporting cast. From a sheer athletic standpoint he is faster than Rosen and Darnold, has a bigger arm than both of them as well. Allen by far has a higher ceiling than any prospect in the draft, by far.

If Rudolph was the Bills choice there would be no talk of moving up to 2

They either have an idea of what the Browns are doing or have 2 guys they would be happy as heck to have (like 1983 when they took Tony Hunter With their first 1st round pick knowing 2 picks later they would have either Kelly or Marino available. )

Hey, what is jeffismagic up to over at BuffaloRumblings?

The only bet I have on Rosen

is with Vandine. I am betting Mahomes throws more TD’s than Rosen next year.

If we discussed top ten status for Rosen I don’t recall finalizing anything on how that would work

Ah, never change, Jeff. Never change. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I can live with this, save for next year's 2nd rounder.

It’s probably not gonna work without at least one second. We’ve gotta overpay like the jets did. They gave up the 6 pick and 3 seconds to move up 3 spots. 3 firsts and at least this years seconds 

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I am in agreement with the spirit of this post. And I agree, now is the time.

However, I continue to maintain that we can't exclude trades of their first round draft slots for QBs:

Rob Johnson for the their #9 pick in the '98 draft

Drew Bledsoe for their #14 pick in '03 draft

JP Losman for their #20 pick in the '05 draft 

And no, that's not splitting hairs. Those are examples of their actual first round investments in QBs over the years. No need to respond or start a tangent debate on the subject. Like I said, I agree with the spirit of your post. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

nah, chump. Just remembering the good old days of you declaring yourself a debate winner.

:lol:

Its like pistol whipping a blind kid so it hardly feels like a victory.  You dont really bring anything original to the table so

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I am in agreement with the spirit of this post. And I agree, now is the time.

However, I continue to maintain that we can't exclude trades of their first round draft slots for QBs:

Rob Johnson for the their #9 pick in the '98 draft

Drew Bledsoe for their #14 pick in '03 draft

JP Losman for their #20 pick in the '05 draft 

And no, that's not splitting hairs. Those are examples of their actual first round investments in QBs over the years. No need to respond or start a tangent debate on the subject. Like I said, I agree with the spirit of your post. 

I agree that RJ and Bledsoe represent such an allocation of resources.  Losman I find to be a gray area since it doesn't quite mesh with the idea that they valued QB enough to make it their #1 priority.

Thanks for checking me on that--it's an important distinction to draw.