Bills interested in Sam Bradford

really not sure what Brooks is seeing.   We need a QB that can at least keep defenses honest,  meaning,  is some sort of threat in the passing game

Keenum, Bradford,  not an upgrade in that department over Tyrod?

I disagree.

Edited by bigduke6

2 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I'd rather have Teddy B. Bradford is probably the FA I'd be the least excited about. 

I get what you are saying that Teddy has a better future, but if the Bills are going to draft a QB high, then I would think an aging Vet on a 2 year deal makes more sense.  No real controversy to worry about. 

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good discussion here.

I am going to assume Brooks is a Tyrod believer? 

I'm ok with this. Bills need a bridge or did backup for whatever QB they take in the draft (provided they do), and Bradford is a capable starter in the event that the Bills aren't able to draft a good/decent QB prospect. His arm is certainly good enough to play in Buffalo. Availability is obviously the only real concern with him. Could a Glennon in Chicago type signing. 

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I get what you are saying that Teddy has a better future, but if the Bills are going to draft a QB high, then I would think an aging Vet on a 2 year deal makes more sense.  No real controversy to worry about. 

all that means is Bucky hasn't watched him play 

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I think he's taking into account that Bradford has serious durability issues and Keenum had never done anything until he arrived in MIN in a great situation.  

If they get Bradford instead of Foles, I'm guessing they hold their draft picks and pick Rudolph, Falk or Lauletta in the third.  They sit and learn for a year or two behind Bradford, or if he goes down they get thrust in earlier.  They're going to need to draft a couple of guards or G/C hig and use two of picks in 1/2 to get those settled.  Move Glenn to right side and line is solid to protect these QB's. 

Edited by VABills

10 minutes ago, VABills said:

If they get Bradford instead of Foles, I'm guessing they hold their draft picks and pick Rudolph, Falk or Lauletta in the third.  They sit and learn for a year or two behind Bradford, or if he goes down they get thrust in earlier.  

Why do you come to that conclusion?  I don't think any team in the league is trusting Bradford as being their starter for any real period of time.

I'd still rather have McCown

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-san-francisco-49ers-john-lynch-mmqb-peter-king

Josh McCown has proven on three bad teams (2015 Cleveland, 2016 Cleveland, the 2017 Jets) that he: A) can play, and B) should be some team’s strong option as either a top backup or a good bridge quarterback to a bright-prospect rookie. McCown’s a selfless guy who will support whatever decision the coach makes—ask any coach he’s played for—and will tutor the young guy well. And here’s how he ranks versus some NFL quarterbacks with at least 20 starts over the past three seasons, collectively. (Some quarterbacks here have not played in every one of the last three years, but I’m picking and choosing quarterbacks who have started at least 20 games since opening day 2015 just as a means of comparison with McCown.)

QB (Age) Teams W-L Comp. Pct. TD/INT Diff. Rating
J. McCown (38) CLE, NYJ 6-18 .636 +17 89.8
C. Keenum (30) LAR, MIN 18-10 .643 +16 89.3
A. Luck (28) IND 10-12 .606 +21 88.9
C. Wentz (25) PHI 18-11 .615 +28 88.8
M. Mariota (24) TEN 20-22 .618 +24 88.6
J. Winston (24) TB 18-27 .608 +25 87.2
E. Manning (37) NYG 20-27 .625 +37 86.8
C. Newton (28) CAR 32-14 .573 +36

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I get that. It all depends on how the Bills handle the situation and I have faith in this FO. The thing I like about Teddy is he could provide an opportunity to add a decent pick down the line because of his age, Bradford definitely does not.

Bridgewater would be a decent bridge/insurance policy short term and potentially have some trade value long term (if of course you get him cheap, which I think is possible).

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bradford and Rosen is pretty much my ideal depending on what $$s Bradford id looking for. 

No, it'll be Rosen, Nate, and a camp arm. Mcbean thinks strategically and long term, not particularly concerned about this year's results.  Bradford, Keenum, et al will not be contributing to our eventual take-off in 2-3 years.  Rosen's not the type to need or take to a mentor. If he's going to succeed or fail, he'll do either his way.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Why do you come to that conclusion?  I don't think any team in the league is trusting Bradford as being their starter for any real period of time.

Because Bradford is a quality starting QB.  If he signs somewhere it's to start.  Even with a bad knee, he is a top 10 QB in the league when playing.  They get some insurance with a quality QB in 3rd round who can learn.  But, they need to keep the pick to put a Oline in front of bradford, and shore up the defense.

I don't want Bradford.

But mostly what I want from the QB free agency market is a deal where we won't hurt ourselves with the cap in future years if we have to cut them after 1 season. These are all mediocre QB's. The biggest mistake would be to sign any of them long-term without the ability to get out of their contracts cleanly. 

2 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I'd rather have Teddy B. Bradford is probably the FA I'd be the least excited about. 

Heck bring them both in so their teammates in camp can place bets on which one has a leg fall off before week 1.

This week will show some of the hand the Bills are planning to play.  McCarron or Foles and they are not trading up.  A pure one year bridge and they are trading up and the deal is likely already done...

Personally if its a one-year bridge, I want a bridge who can keep the Bills competitive for the time that he has under center.   Keep the Bills in the playoff hunt.  McCown, Bradford fit that in my mind without having to invest more than a year.  Of the two McCown would be my choice based on durability, leadership skills and the ability to be a mentor.  I would even suggest committing to two years on a contract.

The key is these two cost us nothing.   We need to save all the draft capital to get into the top 3 and get Darnold or Rosen...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Heck bring them both in so their teammates in camp can place bets on which one has a leg fall off before week 1.

My money would be on Bradford. If Bridgewater's leg was going to fall off, it already would have.

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

This week will show some of the hand the Bills are planning to play.  McCarron or Foles and they are not trading up.  A pure one year bridge and they are trading up and the deal is likely already done...

Personally if its a one-year bridge, I want a bridge who can keep the Bills competitive for the time that he has under center.   Keep the Bills in the playoff hunt.  McCown, Bradford fit that in my mind without having to invest more than a year.  Of the two McCown would be my choice based on durability, leadership skills and the ability to be a mentor.  I would even suggest committing to two years on a contract.

The key is these two cost us nothing.   We need to save all the draft capital to get into the top 3 and get Darnold or Rosen...

They're not going to sign a bridge, they had one and just traded him! 

4 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

They're not going to sign a bridge, they had one and just traded him! 

They got great value for that bridge.   They may have gotten Tim Settle or DJ Chark or some other talent that falls or the deal closer on a move into the top 5.  Bridges are interchangeable and in my opinion, they need one.  None of these rooks should be thrown out there day one.  

Starting Peterman for the first 5-8 games is admitting that 2018 is not a playoff year and McD won't do that.

Edited by JoeF

I would actually be ok with Bradford starting for a year, with the expectation that he would be gone the next year and if he gets injured our rookie steps up.

I think the biggest problem is that he really doesn't want to be a backup. He really resented Wentz being drafted, and sources said that he wanted to be a starter, and that he felt like he was a starter. If it is obvious that he is just going to be benched the moment a rookie is ready, I doubt that he bites.

30 minutes ago, VABills said:

Because Bradford is a quality starting QB.  If he signs somewhere it's to start.  Even with a bad knee, he is a top 10 QB in the league when playing.  They get some insurance with a quality QB in 3rd round who can learn.  But, they need to keep the pick to put a Oline in front of bradford, and shore up the defense.

Brady

Rodgers

Big Ben

Wilson

Cam

Brees

Rivers

Luck

Wentz

Stafford

Ryan

Say he's top 10 takes 2 of those guys out.

Not to mention Dak / Jameis / Mariota / Jimmy G. / Watson / Goff / Cousins / Alex Smith

Look, I like Bradford, I'd be happy with him as our bridge, but nothing about his history suggests eliminating an aggressive move up the board for another QB.

16 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I would actually be ok with Bradford starting for a year, with the expectation that he would be gone the next year and if he gets injured our rookie steps up.

I think the biggest problem is that he really doesn't want to be a backup. He really resented Wentz being drafted, and sources said that he wanted to be a starter, and that he felt like he was a starter. If it is obvious that he is just going to be benched the moment a rookie is ready, I doubt that he bites.

FA is before the draft.  Is he going to sit out if we draft a QB?

Edited by Chuck Wagon

If they are going to draft a quarterback and sign another Bridge quarterback who will likely start next season, they should focus on a guy who has a chance to have a big season. Someone who might be a little bit younger and not so injury-prone, so they can flip him for a pick when the rookie quarterback is ready to go. Obviously, this is the path the Eagles took when Carson Wentz was ready to take over and they got a first-rounder for Sam Bradford.

Personally, I'm hoping they move into the top five and draft a quarterback who can start from day one.

1 minute ago, Wily Dog said:

Bradford would be a good QB for teaching a Rookie , Allen or Jackson,  with Peterman at QB to start the season. 

What? You'd sign Bradford then start Peterman over him? Lots of dumb things are said here but this may take the cake.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

My money would be on Bradford. If Bridgewater's leg was going to fall off, it already would have.

Why?

He hasn't played a game yet since the injury

I think Bridgewater's knee is toast

6 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Bradford would be a good QB for teaching a Rookie , Allen or Jackson,  with Peterman at QB to start the season. 

Wat?

23 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

FA is before the draft.  Is he going to sit out if we draft a QB?

I am reasonably certain that if it is something important to him, he would ask before he signs. Of course, we could lie to him and then draft a guy, but that tend to sour you to a lot of agents and it's not a great long term move.