Bills interested in Sam Bradford

If we sign Bradford we habe to address the offensive line with as much urgency as the DL.  I don’t like the guy because I have zero confidence that he will stay heathy enough to lead us to anything more than playoff contention.  If healthy, he’s a great pickup.  BIG if.  He needs a great OL to be worth picking up imo.

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If we sign Bradford we habe to address the offensive line with as much urgency as the DL.  I don’t like the guy because I have zero confidence that he will stay heathy enough to lead us to anything more than playoff contention.  If healthy, he’s a great pickup.  BIG if.  He needs a great OL to be worth picking up imo.

Sounds as if someone is brewing up an excuse.

7 hours ago, Steptide said:

Man I have no interest in him. Has he ever made it through a full season? 

Thanks you! Even if he has made it through "1" season I still want nothing to do with him and his patchwork legs. Dudes made of glass and waste of money!

6 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I get that. It all depends on how the Bills handle the situation and I have faith in this FO. The thing I like about Teddy is he could provide an opportunity to add a decent pick down the line because of his age, Bradford definitely does not.

Bridgewater would be a decent bridge/insurance policy short term and potentially have some trade value long term (if of course you get him cheap, which I think is possible).

This would be good for the Bills but bad for Bridgewater. If I’m his agent I would wait till post draft to see the lay of the land. I’d want the best opportunity for my client to be the starter for now and the future. Teddy is different to me than most of the other FA QB’s. Teddy is young and a lot of upside. I’m Not totally sure what he can be yet. 

18 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This would be good for the Bills but bad for Bridgewater. If I’m his agent I would wait till post draft to see the lay of the land. I’d want the best opportunity for my client to be the starter for now and the future. Teddy is different to me than most of the other FA QB’s. Teddy is young and a lot of upside. I’m Not totally sure what he can be yet. 

A bit like Tyrod when he came to the Bills, Bridgewater will only go to a place where he feels confident that he can win the starting job. He wants a one or two year deal where he gets to show that hes fine healthwise and then hopefully land a big payday.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

We need to beef the oline up either way. The right side doesn’t look so good at the moment 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Worked great for EJ.

What is it like in your world where you pretend all the QB prospects are the valued the same and some team has the magic fairy dust that would have made EJ a good QB?

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

With respect to playing EJ too early you are misinterpreting that scenario. He was a third or fourth round talent drafted in the first round. That was simply bad scouting and evaluation. I don't care whether he got plenty of development time or not he was not going to be a franchise qb. He simply wasn't and isn't good enough. Both Rosen and Mayfield are much more prepared to play relatively quickly compared to  EJ.

I may be misinterpreting, or you may be misinterpreting.  Third and fourth round talents succeed in the NFL sometimes.

Either way, none of us get the "do over" so we can find out.  But I don't want to do that experiment again.

I agree about Rosen.  Mayfield, probable.  Anyone else, no.

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

We need to beef the oline up either way. The right side doesn’t look so good at the moment 

For sure.  I just have a feeling Mills will be our RT come opening day. He wasn’t good, but he was serviceable enough to make the playoffs with him playing a RT all year......and he’s cheap. I think we’ll probably draft a guard or center in the top 3 rds and hopefully Groy will play whichever position the draft pick doesn’t play.  Maybe we spend FA money on a starting OLmen but we have too many holes.....especially if we plan on trading multiple picks to get into the top 4.  If we trade into the top 4, I feel that a good draft would consist of that QB and 2 more starters.  It’s going to take more than 12 and 22 to get top 4 imo.  

14 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Buddy said he saw Bradford dining with Bills Brass at Sear about a half hour ago.

Sorry, no pics or anything concrete.

They have to distract him from the news that we traded an o-lineman until he signs the contract

• Haha (+1) 1

This morning i about puked my breakfast when i tead this story.watching nfl network today when the bengals trade was announced i thought about it and was like yeah bradford makes total sense if tge bills are all in on trading for a franchise qb..bradford can mentor the rook n if we get 6/8 games out of him and he does get hurt we throw the rook in a 1/2 season early..

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For sure.  I just have a feeling Mills will be our RT come opening day. He wasn’t good, but he was serviceable enough to make the playoffs with him playing a RT all year......and he’s cheap. I think we’ll probably draft a guard or center in the top 3 rds and hopefully Groy will play whichever position the draft pick doesn’t play.  Maybe we spend FA money on a starting OLmen but we have too many holes.....especially if we plan on trading multiple picks to get into the top 4.  If we trade into the top 4, I feel that a good draft would consist of that QB and 2 more starters.  It’s going to take more than 12 and 22 to get top 4 imo.  

We need a high end free agent imo for that right side. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think Groy will play Center, also with Daboll going back to power run Miller could come back into play. He was benched cause he didn’t understand zone blocking.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

We need a high end free agent imo for that right side. 

Need is a strong word.  If the draftee turns out to be a very good player (like Dawkins has shown so far) he makes the Everyone around him better.  I agree that it would be nice to have another stud on the line (Ritchie being the other) but I wouldn’t say we need it....unless we sign Bradford lol.

Just now, Clyde Smith said:

I think Groy will play Center, also with Daboll going back to power run Miller could come back into play. He was benched cause he didn’t understand zone blocking.

Groy could play center, but if they draft a QB top 4, they may want a young stud center to play with him.  Or maybe not.  We’ll see

Just now, NewEra said:

Need is a strong word.  If the draftee turns out to be a very good player (like Dawkins has shown so far) he makes the Everyone around him better.  I agree that it would be nice to have another stud on the line (Ritchie being the other) but I wouldn’t say we need it....unless we sign Bradford lol.

We need a legit guy there. A vet. Need to keep the rookie on his feet and plowing holes for shady. If we get the big run game going to take pressure off the rookie we will have a much more fun year. 

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I may be misinterpreting, or you may be misinterpreting.  Third and fourth round talents succeed in the NFL sometimes.

Either way, none of us get the "do over" so we can find out.  But I don't want to do that experiment again.

I agree about Rosen.  Mayfield, probable.  Anyone else, no.

As far as not getting a "do over" I respectfully disagree with you. Of course we get a "do over". If a draft pick doesn't work out, regardless of the position, you go back to the drawing board and try again. If a qb doesn't work out whether it is a drafted player or free agent pickup the appropriate response is not to be so skittish and frightened over the mistake that you become frozen. The better response is to become more determined to resolve the issue, not to delay and avoid the issue. 

With respect to the highlighted segment we finally have something to agree on. Mark this day on your calendar to note an infrequent occurrence. 

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Heck bring them both in so their teammates in camp can place bets on which one has a leg fall off before week 1.

Mean.  But funny because it's too close to true.

10 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I would actually be ok with Bradford starting for a year, with the expectation that he would be gone the next year and if he gets injured our rookie steps up.

I think the biggest problem is that he really doesn't want to be a backup. He really resented Wentz being drafted, and sources said that he wanted to be a starter, and that he felt like he was a starter. If it is obvious that he is just going to be benched the moment a rookie is ready, I doubt that he bites.

"That was Then, This is Now."  From Bradford's POV, he had an unfortunate knee injury his 4th year, maybe he tried to rush his recovery or play without a brace when he should have used one and he lost the whole season his 5th year.  He redoubled his rehab efforts and was healthy in Philly all next season, as far as he was concerned, he was "on his way" to getting his career on track.  So yeah, he didn't want to be a backup, and he went to Minn and played even better, and started 2017 as the established starter and....

Now he must realize that no team in the league is going to pencil him in as the starter and hand him the keys.

Just now, JohnC said:

As far as not getting a "do over" I respectfully disagree with you. Of course we get a "do over"

No.  From context, I was clearly speaking of EJ, and not getting  a "do over" to try a different development path with him, and you can disagree all you want, but the hands of time don't reset.  You can try to repeat the same or a different path with a different guy, but that's not a "do over" by the usual meaning of the term.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  From context, I was clearly speaking of EJ, and not getting  a "do over" to try a different development path with him, and you can disagree all you want, but the hands of time don't reset.  You can try to repeat the same or a different path with a different guy, but that's not a "do over" by the usual meaning of the term.

You can fairly make the claim that EJ wasn't handled properly by the Bills. Without question he was rushed before he was ready. But as I previously stated the primary reason for his failure wasn't how he was handled. He simply wasn't good enough. He was a third or fourth round talent who was mistakenly drafted in the first round. This now veteran qb will not now be a starting qb for any team in this league, and will never be no matter how long his career is. He is what he is and will always be what he is i.e. a functional backup. 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

We need a legit guy there. A vet. Need to keep the rookie on his feet and plowing holes for shady. If we get the big run game going to take pressure off the rookie we will have a much more fun year. 

Whats a legit guy?  A draft pick can be a legit guy. I don’t get it.  Groy played very well.  Groy and a solid rookie and the interior of our line is fine.  If the draftee turns out to be kujo, we could be in trouble 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Whats a legit guy?  A draft pick can be a legit guy. I don’t get it.  Groy played very well.  Groy and a solid rookie and the interior of our line is fine.  If the draftee turns out to be kujo, we could be in trouble 

I would like a vet signed that’s all. 

This is going to happen.

Over last 17 games

9-8

4259 Passing Yards

23 TD's

5 INT's

250 Avg Y/G

101.1 QB Rating

Never had back to back seasons of missing more than 3 games.  Last year he missed 2.  It's all about his knee. If he checks out, he's a Bill.

Edited by dezertbill

1 hour ago, dezertbill said:

What are the chances the Bills are moving up to swing a deal for Andrew Luck?

Probably not, but as I said in another post, I would take him over any of the other draft or FA possibilities--in a heart beat.

11 hours ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

This morning i about puked my breakfast when i tead this story.watching nfl network today when the bengals trade was announced i thought about it and was like yeah bradford makes total sense if tge bills are all in on trading for a franchise qb..bradford can mentor the rook n if we get 6/8 games out of him and he does get hurt we throw the rook in a 1/2 season early..

The bolded part is the problem with this strategy. 

Let me introduce you to how Bradford went out for the season in 2014.  Note the announcer saying "It doesn't look like nothin" and suggesting he's just freaking out at the first contact, um.....No, he just lost his ACL for the 2nd time in less than a year.

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

Probably not, but as I said in another post, I would take him over any of the other draft or FA possibilities--in a heart beat.

If the Colts are moving on from Luck, there is only one reasonable explanation.  And that explanation is not that the other team is getting a great deal.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan