Do you REALLY THINK our GM & HC will trade UP?

Punt75

These are smart NFL men.  They are here for the LONG TERM!  Trading away two #1 picks and more isn't their style.  ESPECIALLY when there is NO standout Quarterback in this draft.  NO Manning, NO Luck and NO Newton.  It's a crap shoot and everybody knows that. 

Get a CB, LB or DL in the first Round.  Grab a QB like Rudolph, Falk or Lauletta in the 2nd.  With the other 2nd rounder get a RB or WR.  I can't image what we can do with two 3's, a 4 and two 5's to fill-out our needs.

Then take a look at Glennon, Bradford or Bridgewater for $7-8 mil as a veteran presence at QB.  We'll have Free Agency for the O-Line.

We've become a SMART organization!  It's very nice!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Your username fits the post. Refusing to take a shot at a franchise qb in a draft loaded with top end qb talent, picking the types of players that will be available in literally every draft class ever, and going with a retread of some sort to continue the mediocrity we've become accustomed to is pretty much punting the offseason away. 

Next years qb class looks awful at this point, and other than Cousins (who's not an option) there is nobody available in free agency or trade that would fit the bill as a franchise passer. If there was ever a time to make a move and get your guy, this is the time. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yes. I do. I think they are too smart to move up to the top 5 for any other position. But they know they neeed to find their QB ASAP. I think they have purposely set themselves up over the last 10 months to have the assets to acquire their QB of the future. It’s the right draft to do it with multiple 1st rd QBs available. Some drafts only have 1-2 1st rounders.

this is their plan, and they are executing. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 9

8 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

These are smart NFL men.  They are here for the LONG TERM!  Trading away two #1 picks and more isn't their style.  ESPECIALLY when there is NO standout Quarterback in this draft.  NO Manning, NO Luck and NO Newton.  It's a crap shoot and everybody knows that. 

Get a CB, LB or DL in the first Round.  Grab a QB like Rudolph, Falk or Lauletta in the 2nd.  With the other 2nd rounder get a RB or WR.  I can't image what we can do with two 3's, a 4 and two 5's to fill-out our needs.

Then take a look at Glennon, Bradford or Bridgewater for $7-8 mil as a veteran presence at QB.  We'll have Free Agency for the O-Line.

Get Kelemete in here to play RG...move Glenn to RT and our o-line would be rock solid since our center position doesn't need to be addresed.

21 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

I don't think they'll trade up. I hope they don't trade up.  Just my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Your username fits the post. Refusing to take a shot at a franchise qb in a draft loaded with top end qb talent, picking the types of players that will be available in literally every draft class ever, and going with a retread of some sort to continue the mediocrity we've become accustomed to is pretty much punting the offseason away. 

Next years qb class looks awful at this point, and other than Cousins (who's not an option) there is nobody available in free agency or trade that would fit the bill as a franchise passer. If there was ever a time to make a move and get your guy, this is the time. 

Well said!!!

Yes.

They've made nothing but bold moves since they got here. Walking right through the door and immediately trading away Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Reggie Ragland, and Marcell Dareus was borderline insane.But they had a conviction, they followed through with it, purged the roster of bad contracts and bad attitudes, and made the playoffs. Bold.

After making the playoffs for the first time in 17 seasons, what did they do? Fired their offensive coordinator because they knew they could do better. Traded their quarterback away because they knew they could do better. Bold.

This coach/GM combo are NOT going to sit on their hands and be wishy-washy and hesitant to acquire a franchise QB. BOTH of them come from an organization whose sustained success the past few seasons stems largely from having a franchise QB. They know the importance of it. They've spoken about it multiple times.

They're not afraid. On the contrary, they're bold and, so far, pretty fearless in their roster building. They're going to trade up. Just watch.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes. I do. I think they are too smart to move up to the top 5 for any other position. But they know they neeed to find their QB ASAP. I think they have purposely set themselves up over the last 10 months to have the assets to acquire their QB of the future. It’s the right draft to do it with multiple 1st rd QBs available. Some drafts only have 1-2 1st rounders.

this is their plan, and they are executing. 

They'll certainly try to trade up. I think it will be difficult, but no doubt they'll make the effort. If not, we'll add about 6 starters this draft.

10 minutes ago, Bills of Boston said:

If they go after foles I’m going to be disgusted. Go all in. Enough of this middle of the road crap

Just my opinion but I would consider Foles as a bridge QB especially at his cap figure but only if they can negotiate Philly off their asking price....which I think you can especially since Philly is in cap trouble....If you can negotiate a lower asking price you can still move up and take a rookie as well!

18 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I think they are going after foles

I think they want to trade up and grab "our guy" in the draft. They have been amassing draft picks since McD has been here and it continued yesterday. Beane has publicly commented about the need to find a franchise QB. I don't think you collect draft picks with the idea that you'll trade for a franchise QB.  Then again, the Super Bowl MVP isn't typically available.

Also, you need a trading partner and whose to say that Cleveland and the Giants don't sit tight and take "our guy".

Nevertheless, I'll stick with trading up.

Edited by SinceThe70s

"No top end QB talent" I feel like I hear that every year. The one year it was actually true, and we drafted one. At some point we need to try again and this year is way better than next. Especially since we have the capital now. That is all gone next year.

14 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

14 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

Taking a QB early or going all-in for a QB preserves that they're in Buffalo for the long haul. If they wanna put their time in Buffalo on a free agent that's not Cousins than they're hoping to be Marvin Lewis and the Bengals. Whoever they take whether it trading up or waiting til the 2nd, which is the latest I could see them doing will start games next year. Taking a guy in the 1st or trading up gives the franchise a guy. 

Say the Bills would've taken Watson or Mahomes and they got the capital minus the 1st they acquired to trade down. I think we're excited and expectations are higher for 2018. This is with White being a stud.

45 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

OMG enough already with Kim Jung QB.  Stop using that dude as an example of a successful one overall.

44 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

SMART organizations don't give money to Mike Glennon to play football.

They need to move up. There is no question about that. The question isn't if they will...but how far? 2 or 3 for Rosen? 8 for Mayfield? 15-17 for Jackson?

After trading Taylor they can't afford to walk out of draft weekend without a potential franchise QB. As you said they are smart men...they know this.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I seriously doubt that McBean has been amassing draft picks with the idea that they were going to go after Foles... The time is right for a bold move. Do it. Just Do It!

I have no doubt they didn't amass draft picks to trade for Foles or any other QB on an NFL roster. But Super Bowl MVPs are rarely available.

Comes down to a roll of the dice.  

Is Foles what he was during one great year and the short Super Bowl run or the guy who couldn't hold a job in between? Or is the NFL draft crapshoot a better option?

Like you, I'm sticking with the draft.

49 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

Do you REALLY THINK our GM & HC will trade UP? YES!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I, like many believe they have amassed draft picks with the intention of moving up. So yes, they will IF they can live with the cost AND their target QB is available. They will draft a QB, but I believe they have a value chart for what they are willing to pay for which player and I doubt they are equal. It's possible that they do not  move up because you just don't know what is going to happen with other teams etc. But it's pretty clear what their intentions are.