Bills Sign Ivory

Just now, RyanC883 said:

Cadet a FA.  Humm.  Any chance we bring him back?  I really liked him when he was here.  Although I guess a rookie as RB 3 is more likely due to $$.  

Definitely there is a chance. As a reminder they need to bring 90 guys to camp. 

Just now, RyanC883 said:

Cadet a FA.  Humm.  Any chance we bring him back?  I really liked him when he was here.  Although I guess a rookie as RB 3 is more likely due to $$.  

He's rehabbing at OBD. That is a good sign

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Injured riddled tank with a habit of dropping the football on the ground. I hope he is plan C at RB.

Luckily we still have McCoy, you know, our elite 6 time pro bowler. Pretty sure he is plan A.

5 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Don't mind the signing would have preferred to wait until after the draft though to pick up a veteran. Yes I know there would be no guarantee he would still be available but to me it wouldn't have been a priority right now.

The draft is like a month and a half after free agency opens.  

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Sorry, stopped reading.  Try again.

Only obliquely endorsing BigBuff's point, but IMHO, ALL options need to be on the table to get a top flight QB in this draft. I seriously believe nobody is untouchable if it helps us preserve draft picks and get the QB we want. 

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We're really playing the comp pick game. It makes me think we are looking to trade up and hope that our future comp picks soften the blow.

Let's not get carried away here.  I like picks as much as anybody but usually comps start at the end of the third round where there most definitely is no sure thing.  There is something to be said for signing known quantities.  Hopefully, our FO is squared away in terms of figuring it out.

4 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The Jets? They didn't have Forte at the time, right? CJ2K? 

Tomlinson, Johnson, forte...  The guy I'm thinking of was too long ago.  Thomas was his name but can't remember his last name. He had a first name as a last name.

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Only obliquely endorsing BigBuff's point, but IMHO, ALL options need to be on the table to get a top flight QB in this draft. I seriously believe nobody is untouchable if it helps us preserve draft picks and get the QB we want. 

Except the option that removes a future HOFer still playing at an elite level for an offense devoid of playmakers.

12 minutes ago, eball said:

Sorry, stopped reading.  Try again.

Why apologize....you stopped reading. No problem. And nope, I'm good...no need to re-try anything as I expressed an opinion. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1

Meh.  You could do worse, so I don't mind this, but I'm not excited.  I was a big Chris Ivory fan when he was with the Saints, but he's 30 now and IMO in decline.  Yards per carry last 4 years: 3.4, 3.8, 4.3, 4.1.  I'll be surprised if he's over 4 for us next year.  

Pluses:

• He's a real NFL player who knows how to play RB
  • Not huge money
  • Could serve as a decent goal-line back?  (I haven't seen him in that role in a while, so not sure if he's actually good at it or just seems like he would be)
  • Doesn't count against comp pick formula
  • Less pressure to draft a RB in 3rd round or higher, but still have the option to do so if a great prospect is there

Minuses:

• Best days are likely behind him, not clear how much he has left in the tank
  • Money is still way higher than that of a 4th/5th round pick, and there'll be at least 1 of those who's better than Ivory this year

All in all, not bad.  I'm with others who think that he likely takes most of Tolbert's carries.  The question becomes, does that mean Tolbert is gone, or does the team ask him to switch to FB and cut the higher-paid DiMarco?

I hope we don't intend to carry Tolbert as basically a mascot.  I'm sure he's great for the locker room/culture and all that, but he makes too much money not to contribute on the field.  I'm okay with him as FB if that's the route they go.

Isnt that a bit much to pay an old running back with a deep RB draft? I mean I like Ivory as a back up  .. but was hoping for 1 year less than 2 mill deal. We turned down Gillislee at 2 yrs 6.4 mill. I'd rather have Gillislee at 2 yrs 6.4 mill than Ivory at 2 yrs 5.5 mill  and I think Gillislee himself was overpaid. Anyway let us hope McBeane know what they are doing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cash said:

Meh.  You could do worse, so I don't mind this, but I'm not excited.  I was a big Chris Ivory fan when he was with the Saints, but he's 30 now and IMO in decline.  Yards per carry last 4 years: 3.4, 3.8, 4.3, 4.1.  I'll be surprised if he's over 4 for us next year.  

Pluses:

• He's a real NFL player who knows how to play RB
  • Not huge money
  • Could serve as a decent goal-line back?  (I haven't seen him in that role in a while, so not sure if he's actually good at it or just seems like he would be)
  • Doesn't count against comp pick formula
  • Less pressure to draft a RB in 3rd round or higher, but still have the option to do so if a great prospect is there

Minuses:

• Best days are likely behind him, not clear how much he has left in the tank
  • Money is still way higher than that of a 4th/5th round pick, and there'll be at least 1 of those who's better than Ivory this year

All in all, not bad.  I'm with others who think that he likely takes most of Tolbert's carries.  The question becomes, does that mean Tolbert is gone, or does the team ask him to switch to FB and cut the higher-paid DiMarco?

I hope we don't intend to carry Tolbert as basically a mascot.  I'm sure he's great for the locker room/culture and all that, but he makes too much money not to contribute on the field.  I'm okay with him as FB if that's the route they go.

They still need to add more RBs. You can’t go into camp with 3 RBs on the roster. They will still draft one. The ideal mix is one of vets plus rookies. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Barnwell No Likey!  Regardless, he's a good 2nd option who doesn't factor into the comp pick formula for 2019. 

Would rather have seen FA money spent on upgrading the O-line and the Front 7 on defense. RBs are a dime a dozen yet the Bills continue to invest in that position. Anything other than a 1 yr deal is a bad move in my opinion. Maybe we can sign another FB as well.

Just now, Like A Mofo said:

Nothing is Reggie Bush bad. Well, maybe a zombie apocalypse, that's about it

Zombie Reggie bushs with a Kardashian in tow and the ghost of Caitlin Jenner's lovespear?

That's a good mental image.  I think it could make a good cartoon show premise actually.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If a young talented RB like Kamara drops to you I think you take him. I want the Bills offense to be filled with talented players. 

I agree, but the problem there is that every FA dollar you spend on one position, you can't spend it somewhere else...the same to be said regarding the Draft. So, if the Bills spend their FA money on Ivory and keep their money invested in Shady, they don't have the luxury of spending a 3rd round pick on a RB when they've already invested so much. Which for me, is one reason why I think it makes more sense to trade Shady. That same 3rd round pick would need to be a DT / LB or Offensive lineman if you're keeping Shady and obviously paying Ivory. 

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Except the option that removes a future HOFer still playing at an elite level for an offense devoid of playmakers.

Fair point, eball but I am saying that you listen to every offer and see where the Bills shake out in terms of value. I am a Shady fan so dont take this to mean I want him off the team. 

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chris Ivory is definitely nowhere near the 21st best RB in the NFL.  Probably closer to 21st best backup than 21st best overall.  Granted, he'll get bumped down by some actual free agents, but I still expect him to be a little overpaid next year.  Not by a huge amount, but these things add up.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Barnwell No Likey!  Regardless, he's a good 2nd option who doesn't factor into the comp pick formula for 2019. 

I didn't realize he had so many fumbles - yikes!  Looks like 2016 was the big problem - 5 fumbles on 117 carries compared to 2 on 112 last year.  But he's had at least 2 fumbles every year since 2013, and it's not like he's had a lot of carries in those years, either.  I'm downgrading my rating from "not bad" to "kinda bad but not terrible".