Vontae a Bill!!

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, The Drought said:

You can never have too many good cb's on your team, but you can spend too much getting there. I can't see a scenario where they sign both Gaines and Davis, neither is signing cheap.

I agree it seems too expensive at this point. Might as well let Gaines hit the market if HE thinks he needs 9 million lol

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

The GIants secondary was the most pathetic in football last year.  Apple is a self centered head case.  Janoris made Deion look like Jack Tatum.  And DMC took his ball and went home.  Eli is toxic

Yes i have been following that to small degree.
I was responding to some wise acre's sarcasm above.
Giants are going to be weak again this year. wonder where the Apple ends up?

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I cannot see Davis signing before UFA opens up. He may take some visits, but he'll want to see what he can get when UFA opens up. 

He would be best to get the most now before other players hit the market.  He is free to to take visits and negotiate, most players cannot.  He may wait if his value wasnt what he thought it was.

9 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I cannot see Davis signing before UFA opens up. He may take some visits, but he'll want to see what he can get when UFA opens up. 

He should. not sure he will need to though. 0:)

3 minutes ago, snamsnoops said:

and receive a comp pick for it!

Beaners luvs that stuff

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

im not a fan of paying gaines 9 mil for 8 games. i would if he played all the games. 

we might all agree on that.

and thats where the tipping point is. if Bills feel he can remain healthy ? Does anyone else really know his health ?
At this point he is a proven risk during his career. Darned decent football player though..

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

CB is a definite need based on departures and some lackluster play by those who didn't start....if it happens, it would be a good sign of things to come. 

well, would probably be a replacement for Gaines and Gaines is the better player...so not really that good of a sign

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I wonder if what we think is happening with Gaines (him outpricing himself) is actually true, if Davis gives us a relatively good starter (potentially even at the same level) and allows us to get a nickel guy like Aaron Colvin from Jax or Patrick Robinson from PHI?

Bryce Callahan would be great also.

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

and some have said that White's best suited for slot CB, so you sign Davis, re-sign Gaines, sign DT Star Leouti and draft another DT, add a speedy LB to replace Brown to play with Milano  and play a majority of nickel defense, like McDermott did in the Carolina, and the D might improve. 

Man Star Lotulelei is so overrated here. 

Testing the market. See how much a team like Cleveland or Buffalo pays then go to a contending team and say so and so offers this much can you beat it. Happens every year unfortunately. It's a hard enough sell to get players to come here so until we have a QB and are a super bowl contender we are still not going to be the top choice for free agents

44 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Always confuse Vontae and Vernon Davis as they look like twins IMHO!

??

41 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Bows the time for him to sign.  Before other players at his position become available.  He's already free.  The competition for $$$ isn't.

40 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I think it is an opinion based upon the position/role he plays. And then the Bills need against the a/b gap runs.

he is rather good at defending that.

12 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

it would be a pretty shrewd deal.  Sign a player with no comp attached and let gains walk and get a comp pick 

it would be a feather in the cap for Beanes method.
But i hope they work on Gaines and have a role for him he could deal with.
Logic say no. one or the other

48 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Where is he from? 

I think Star makes a lot of sense for the bills due to need and the fact that his worst year of his career was when he was apart from McD. I think it makes sense for both sides and i want to see it happen, but i definitely don't want to overpay for him. 

53 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Where is he from? 

I think Star makes a lot of sense for the bills due to need and the fact that his worst year of his career was when he was apart from McD. I think it makes sense for both sides and i want to see it happen, but i definitely don't want to overpay for him. 

Is Bryce, Bo’s brother? Bo was big time on draft day

Edited by Yard Monkey

4 hours ago, garybusey said:

Davis wont count against the comp pick formula.

If and when Gaines signs with another team it would give us a +1 in the formula, as well.

IMO the Bills need to sign A BUNCH of unrestricted free agents this offseason..........some may be cuts and I don't really expect to see any $10M per FA's unless it's a QB.........but I don't see them coming out ahead in the comp pick formula for 2019.

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO the Bills need to sign A BUNCH of unrestricted free agents this offseason..........some may be cuts and I don't really expect to see any $10M per FA's unless it's a QB.........but I don't see them coming out ahead in the comp pick formula for 2019.

Agreed...unless a few stragglers like Deonte and Wright fetch more dollars than we expect, the trio of Matthews/Brown/Gaines is pretty much it for CFAs lost 

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Testing the market. See how much a team like Cleveland or Buffalo pays then go to a contending team and say so and so offers this much can you beat it. Happens every year unfortunately. It's a hard enough sell to get players to come here so until we have a QB and are a super bowl contender we are still not going to be the top choice for free agents

Well yea duh, why would he want to go to a playoff team that thrived in its secondary ??‍♂️ Not sure where you get off comparing the 0-16 browns to a playoff team (that made the playoffs without qb-as most put it).....that just doesn't make sense 

6 hours ago, Acantha said:

Hope not.  CB depth is horrible; they need more talent at the position.  Gaines may end up being too much to keep, but getting Davis shouldn't rule out their attempt to re-sign Gaines.

The Bills could still use a slot corner even if they resign Gaines. I don't mind Davis on a modest deal. It gives you a plan B in case Gaines prices himself out of what is reasonable. 

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

He had a rough 2017, injury riddled the past couple of years and have taken it's toll on him, I'd much rather have Gaines at this point, I mean I can't see him making astronaomical money, pay him what he's worth.

That's why I hope this is a depth move and a break glass in case of emergency move. 

1 hour ago, Jlee120419 said:

Well yea duh, why would he want to go to a playoff team that thrived in its secondary ??‍♂️ Not sure where you get off comparing the 0-16 browns to a playoff team (that made the playoffs without qb-as most put it).....that just doesn't make sense 

Because there's 31 other choices. Buffalo is bottom 5 free agent destination no matter how delusional the fans are

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Because there's 31 other choices. Buffalo is bottom 5 free agent destination no matter how delusional the fans are

No, which team gives a player the most money is the most desired destination.

For you to say Buffalo is a bottom five destination is laughable when this team has one of the richest people in the world owning the team.

If Wilson was still owning the team, it might be a bottom 5 destination, but it is hardly the case any more.

Wake up.

22 minutes ago, njbuff said:

No, which team gives a player the most money is the most desired destination.

For you to say Buffalo is a bottom five destination is laughable when this team has one of the richest people in the world owning the team.

If Wilson was still owning the team, it might be a bottom 5 destination, but it is hardly the case any more.

Wake up.

They all pay roughly the same. Buffalo will never compete with the big markets until we have a QB that gives us a legit shot to win a super bowl. We have the same odds to win the super bowl next yr as Cleveland fyi as per Vegas. Players use us as leverage to get similar money from a big city team. You wake up

59 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

They all pay roughly the same. Buffalo will never compete with the big markets until we have a QB that gives us a legit shot to win a super bowl. We have the same odds to win the super bowl next yr as Cleveland fyi as per Vegas. Players use us as leverage to get similar money from a big city team. You wake up

You continue believing that Sparky.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

When does FA start?

March 12-14    Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2017 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 14. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 14.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-important-nfl-dates/

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

it would be a pretty shrewd deal.  Sign a player with no comp attached and let gains walk and get a comp pick 

but would it improve the team?

9 hours ago, aristocrat said:

If a guy doesn’t play is he better than the other guy?

which guy are you talking about? Both players have missed time with injuries

11 hours ago, nucci said:

well, would probably be a replacement for Gaines and Gaines is the better player...so not really that good of a sign

You may not agree that it's a good sign, fair enough of course.....but, to say that without question Gaines is a better player, is quite a stretch of logic IMO. Davis at one point was the top CBs in the league, and while he didn't return to that form with the Colts, I don't think I'd write off his career just yet. Buffalo, in recent years, has been a place where players who once were thought to be "done" or their career to have sunk to an ultimate low (Richie / Hughes / Lorax) have been revived. If the Bills sign Davis, I have faith in McD to get the most out of him and given his potential, I think that makes it pretty promising.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

For the most part he’s accurate

Maybe in the past, but the Pegula's have lots of money and that's what talks, not the location of the football team.

Cleveland is bad because their ownership is awful, not because they are in Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 1