Vontae a Bill!!

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He should take all of his visits, but at the same time not wait too long with the possibility that his best money deal might dry up. 

Very much this. See the teams interested in him now, and make his mind up well before 'proper' FA begins. He might want to get something done before the combine, as there's an awful lot of 'possible' business gets done there, outside of the draft evaluations. 'In before the crowd', as it were.

..hard to ignore Gaines' contributions when healthy.....club was <.500 when he was out (think 1-4).....so injury history for injury history, which is the better option and at what price?....

.....who is looking for what money?.....note that Gaines is 4 years younger............

GAINES CONTRACT HISTORY

E.J. Gaines signed a 4 year, $2,327,672 contract with the St. Louis Rams in 2014, including a $107,672 signing bonus, $107,672 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $581,918.

Earnings By Team-DAVIS CONTRACT HISTORY
Team Yrs Salary APY Paid on Cap % Paid on Cap Paid as Dead Money % Paid as Dead Money
Colts 5 $38,943,750 $7,788,750 $28,693,750 0.0% $10,250,000 0.0%
Dolphins 3 $8,366,471 $2,788,824 $6,193,971 0.0% $2,222,500 0.0%

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Eh, it is February. There is most likely zero  sense of urgency by either side. I know i wanted something to happen , because i wanted something to happen. 

I think there is some urgency. or pressure when these event go down.
I am glad Bills got to see him first. Smart move. Make him an early offer after selling the where and why of being a Bill.

Let him check out some other programs.

Keep the communication open till Davis decides.

Go Bills !

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I have no doubt he'll go to the highest bidder.

why is that? 
Maybe he wants some security ? Maybe he wants guaranteed money. Maybe he wants a ring. Maybe he has been reading Lane Johnson' comments and wants to have fun !
If he is Just in it for money he ain't our guy

3 hours ago, Acantha said:

Every team has a drop in talent as they go down the roster; the Bills had a cliff.  When Gaines went out (every friggin game), the defense immediately began to give up bigger chunks.  The difference was clear, and I don't even think Gaines is THAT good  It's just how bad everyone behind him was.  You can't get pro-bowlers everywhere, but you need to be able to continue to compete when one starter goes down.

Build from the inside out. Core players and then the depth.

then the shiny toys

On 2/16/2018 at 8:24 PM, Acantha said:

Every team has a drop in talent as they go down the roster; the Bills had a cliff.  When Gaines went out (every friggin game), the defense immediately began to give up bigger chunks.  The difference was clear, and I don't even think Gaines is THAT good  It's just how bad everyone behind him was.  You can't get pro-bowlers everywhere, but you need to be able to continue to compete when one starter goes down.

I disagree on Gaines a bit in that I do think he is a really good zone corner and thought that when he was with the Rams too... his issue has always been health.  But I agree with you on the cliff.  The Bills did a lot of surgery to their roster last year it was basically a total rebuild and that take more than a year to accomplish. With another draft and FA period behind them I expect the roster to have more depth at some key positions in 2018.  

On 2/20/2018 at 11:49 AM, GunnerBill said:

I disagree on Gaines a bit in that I do think he is a really good zone corner and thought that when he was with the Rams too... his issue has always been health.  But I agree with you on the cliff.  The Bills did a lot of surgery to their roster last year it was basically a total rebuild and that take more than a year to accomplish. With another draft and FA period behind them I expect the roster to have more depth at some key positions in 2018.  

The Bills problem is that they are battling age while trying to fill holes.  

Most rebuilds are about getting rid of the old to bring in the new........but in this one they got rid of the young and kept the old.

So they will need to be VERY active in FA to even hope to maintain what they are losing in attrition let alone make strides.

It would take an incredible offseason to patch all of the holes and get younger..............which isn't realistic IMO with such a shabby, flawed FA crop(and pretty shallow draft class, also IMO)..........and also knowing they are going to find themselves competing against teams with a lot more cap space or more positive performance outloook(see this Vontae Davis situation).

Which is why IMO they really just need to patch what they can on-the-short-term and on-the cheap.....even if it means getting older at positions like MLB or CB....... and focus on resolving the future QB position.

Then hope to be in the position to make a bigger move in 2019 when they are working with $80M-$100M in cap space and hopefully have a promising young QB to help sell the program. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Most rebuilds are about getting rid of the old to bring in the new........but in this one they got rid of the young and kept the old.

So they will need to be VERY active in FA to even hope to maintain what they are losing in attrition let alone make strides.

It would take an incredible offseason to patch all of the holes and get younger..............which isn't realistic IMO with such a shabby, flawed FA crop(and pretty shallow draft class, also IMO)..........and also knowing they are going to find themselves competing against teams with a lot more cap space or more positive performance outloook(see this Vontae Davis situation).

Which is why IMO they really just need to patch what they can on-the-short-term and on-the cheap.....even if it means getting older at positions like MLB or CB....... and focus on resolving the future QB position.

Then hope to be in the position to make a bigger move in 2019 when they are working with $80M-$100M in cap space and hopefully have a promising young QB to help sell the program. 

Agree Badol. And I agree on the draft class too, except for 3 or 4 positions this is not a great class and not a deep class. 

The good news is the few positions it is a bit deeper - DT, LB, RB (and obviously QB) - are positions that line up with some of the Bills needs. It is not a year to look for defensive backs, edge rushers or wide receivers in the draft though in my opinion. The top end talent there is very thin and the depth through the middle rounds doesn't look to be there either. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree Badol. And I agree on the draft class too, except for 3 or 4 positions this is not a great class and not a deep class. 

The good news is the few positions it is a bit deeper - DT, LB, RB (and obviously QB) - are positions that line up with some of the Bills needs. It is not a year to look for defensive backs, edge rushers or wide receivers in the draft though in my opinion. The top end talent there is very thin and the depth through the middle rounds doesn't look to be there either. 

That's why it's critical, IMO, that they are aggressive at WR/CB in FA.  I think they can fill those holes fairly readily if they come in prepared.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep......and that lack of talent at the non-QB big money positions that I'd traditionally spend 1st and 2nd round picks on(PassRusher, WR,CB,LT) is all the more reason to deal those first and second round picks to move up for the QB.

And maybe they then clean up at those low dollar positions with those 4 remaining lower value picks......I think LB in particular holds the most round 5 promise.......that would be great..........but man it feels like it's gonna' be tough to feel too confident about the paper version of the 53 man depth chart come July.:lol:    The personnel department has their work cut out for them.

58 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's why it's critical, IMO, that they are aggressive at WR/CB in FA.  I think they can fill those holes fairly readily if they come in prepared.

Yeah I'm OK waiting on other spots but those need to get filled while there is some talent available.

On paper I can hope on a Martavis Bryant trade but it would be sketchy going into the draft with that other X/Y spot not filled with someone GOOD.

What is everyone thinking Vontae Davis is going to get in terms of years and AAV?

I suppose I could stomach overpaying Gaines with the realization that they won't have much to spend their $100M in cap room on in 2019........they can't go into the draft sans CB2 and that WR.

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I'm OK waiting on other spots but those need to get filled while there is some talent available.

On paper I can hope on a Martavis Bryant trade but it would be sketchy going into the draft with that other X/Y spot not filled with someone GOOD.

What is everyone thinking Vontae Davis is going to get in terms of years and AAV?

I suppose I could stomach overpaying Gaines with the realization that they won't have much to spend their $100M in cap room on in 2019........they can't go into the draft sans CB2 and that WR.

I think it's either Gaines or a UFA like Rahsaan Melvin, who may come in slightly below market for a UFA CB under 30.

As for WR, I'm not moving off of my November call for Paul Richardson.

Grab those two guys and a value DL guy like Daquan Jones or Justin Ellis and you can call FA a relative success given where this team is needs-wise.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Great post.  I agree completely although I would really like to see them attempt to add 1-2 core players in the front 7.  Not sure if that’s possible if we trade up for a QB though 

39 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think it's either Gaines or a UFA like Rahsaan Melvin, who may come in slightly below market for a UFA CB under 30.

Grab those two guys and a value DL guy like Daquan Jones or Justin Ellis and you can call FA a relative success given where this team is needs-wise.

If we don’t resign Gaines and decide to go the FA route, is MUCH rather have Melvin than Davis.  Davis might be the better player but I really like Melvins physical attributes and potential fit in this zone.  When’s the last time we had a 6’2 corner?  How much do you think he’ll go for?  He’s been a journyman for his entire careeer.   While he’s not the caliber of Gaines imo, he might be looking to nab 7-8 mill a year and I’m not sure if the colts are going to let him go so easily

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I wonder how close to $10M aav Richardson is going to get.    I think spotrac's $6.3M seems conservative under the circumstances.   

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wonder how close to $10M aav Richardson is going to get.    I think spotrac's $6.3M seems conservative under the circumstances.   

I think he's closer to Marvin Jones' $8M than 6

As to Vontae, I think he probably pulls down the same type of deal as Haden last offseason 

25 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think he's closer to Marvin Jones' $8M than 6

As to Vontae, I think he probably pulls down the same type of deal as Haden last offseason 

I dunno on Richardson it is basically 1 year of number 2 level production. Jones got $8m two years ago, Woods $7.8m last year and they both had more production than Richardson. Mohamed Sanu is closer production wise and he got $6.5m avg per year two years ago. 

If the cap was stationary I think he is right in that $6.5m range but clearly it's not and that is what his agent will argue... cap inflation in two years is about 15% so maybe that lands him at $7.5m??

I am not sure Richardson is worth that to be honest. I suppose it depends how much interest he gets but I feel like Spotrac are closer to where I would want to be to sign him. 

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It's not often I get to say this but we are the best team trying to sign a free agent... Dang... Let's just see that Davis sees it and our playoff appearance changes the perception of Buffalo. I think Cleveland is a non factor. SF and Oakland are both west coast teams while Vontae is from the East coast... I like our chances but you never know.

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

It's not often I get to say this but we are the best team trying to sign a free agent... Dang... Let's just see that Davis sees it and our playoff appearance changes the perception of Buffalo. I think Cleveland is a non factor. SF and Oakland are both west coast teams while Vontae is from the East coast... I like our chances but you never know.

Depends what he is looking for.  If it is a payday then Cleveland is definitely a factor. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Depends what he is looking for.  If it is a payday then Cleveland is definitely a factor. 

Well we know first hand that winning trumps everything... We lost so many players due to similar offers cause of our drought. It's just nice to have that be to our advantage now

14 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well we know first hand that winning trumps everything... We lost so many players due to similar offers cause of our drought. It's just nice to have that be to our advantage now

Is it really to our advantage now?  I have to see it to believe it.  Sure we went to the playoffs but San Fran won their last five games with their new franchise QB and have a young defense.  Cleveland can overpay anyone.  The Raiders have their franchise QB and another franchise player on the other side of the ball in Mack, that new coaching staff could rewrite the script for them.  I honestly don't see us as the best team that has interviewed him as of right now.  We may be after the offseason but right now...that's a ?

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Bay Area vs. Rust Belt. Not a contest. I'd go SF if I were him.

It sucks to agree with you on this, but SF is the team I would choose as well if I were in his position. Team on the rise in a very attractive market with greater opportunities outside of the game.

3 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

It sucks to agree with you on this, but SF is the team I would choose as well if I were in his position. Team on the rise in a very attractive market with greater opportunities outside of the game.

With FAs it typically comes down to:

1. Guaranteed money

2. Scheme fit

3. Team’s potential as a contender 

I’m not sure where “attractive market” and “opportunities outside of the game” factor in for a guy like Vontae Davis. I doubt he’s going to live there year-round or even sign that long of a deal. He’s 30.  JMO

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1