Former NFL Lineman Jonathan Martin Seems Very Troubled - Has Been Taken into Custody

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Yes and obviously his issues run deep. I understand incognito may have been at fault when that whole thing went down, but it's starting to look like this guy is all out of whack. You don't do this kind of thing as a full grown adult and not have a few screws loose 

It dates back further than Richie... Have you seen his quotes about his high school. 

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I almost think he's saying that he ISNT a coward, because only cowards take the suicide or mass shooting route. And he has not. I think he was trying to say, "I was bullied from high school all the way through the NFL. I also have a gun. But I'd never use it". But damn, that is NOT the way it comes across. Horrible execution. The imagery is just too strong.

Yeah I agree.  I'm not sure what he is saying here but it is really not a good look for him.  Like I said it reads to me like he is screaming out for help.  It sounds like he is currently getting some but I really don't think this story will have a happy ending unfortunately.

18 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Conservative thinking: 

"Let's give all these NFL players guns now to protect themselves from other retired/bullied players."

LOL

6 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Liberal thinking:

"Let's just ban retired/bullied players from getting a shotgun and hope they don't get their hands on one."

LOL

Your both and idiots

1 minute ago, section122 said:

Yeah I agree.  I'm not sure what he is saying here but it is really not a good look for him.  Like I said it reads to me like he is screaming out for help.  It sounds like he is currently getting some but I really don't think this story will have a happy ending unfortunately.

Your both and idiots

No name calling and insulting on these forums. 

2 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Makes no sense but OK... lol

Well neither did yours... To be honest I think both sides of the aisle are wrong on solutions. Unfortunately with the way people are now a days I think only solution is to start treating public schools like airports. Get armed security, metal detectors and xray machines and all that. Would create more jobs and better protect children

This guy has had issues since he was in the league, it was obvious when the whole thing with Richie went down. He needs to be placed on psych hold, evaluated and committed involuntarily where he can't hurt people. To the people defending him - despite depression and mental illness hurting someone else is always a choice, there is no excuse for this. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

You've dropped a couple nuggets in this thread. Chill.

Settle down white knight, the guy has made flat out racist statements in print. You should read the article and see this gem:

"you learn to tone down your size & blackness by becoming shy, introverted, friendly, so you won’t scare the little rich white kids or their parents."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think his point is lost in the amplitude of his post here.  I do NOT think he intends to do anything to anyone.

I think what he is trying to say is that when you are bullied - you have a few options....  (he didn't list all of them obviously)

1) stand up for yourself and stop the bullying, end of story.

2) ignore it and hope it goes away

3) take it personal - and escalate the violence - depending on your "cowardice" level

a) commit suicide because you can't stand it

b) go 'postal'

These are all real responses to being bullied.  He seems to have focused on #3 in that post.  Obviously #3 is the wrong way to deal with this.

I think where he made his biggest mistake here is calling out his "bullies" by name - when this has already been dealt with externally at least by the NFL and the Dolphins. He obviously has not moved past it.  Maybe he never will.  I do not have a clue what sort of reconciliation (if any) took place between him and his bullies.  I don't pretend to have any clue about his past at his H.S. either and would not pretend to.  This sounds like a desperate call for help.

1 minute ago, MTBill said:

I think his point is lost in the amplitude of his post here.  I do NOT think he intends to do anything to anyone.

I think what he is trying to say is that when you are bullied - you have a few options....  (he didn't list all of them obviously)

1) stand up for yourself and stop the bullying, end of story.

2) ignore it and hope it goes away

3) take it personal - and escalate the violence - depending on your "cowardice" level

a) commit suicide because you can't stand it

b) go 'postal'

These are all real responses to being bullied.  He seems to have focused on #3 in that post.  Obviously #3 is the wrong way to deal with this.

I think where he made his biggest mistake here is calling out his "bullies" by name - when this has already been dealt with externally at least by the NFL and the Dolphins. He obviously has not moved past it.  Maybe he never will.  I do not have a clue what sort of reconciliation (if any) took place between him and his bullies.  I don't pretend to have any clue about his past at his H.S. either and would not pretend to.  This sounds like a desperate call for help.

You're giving this sicko credit and he deserves none. There is no #3 in his post, he identifies people by name and wrote the name of 2 places on the gun, he's sick in the head. Takes quite a few leaps of faith to get to the made up story you jumped to here and he deserves no faith. 

He's had issues dating back to his teenage years. I read the reports and the texts when the investigation was happening several years ago and to me, he came off like a kid that was trying to fit in. He certainly didn't just sit back and become a target that those guys kept going after, he threw in his fair share of zingers. And that's all it was meant to be, guys giving each other sh*t in an alpha-male environment. 

Everyone deals with some kind of crap in life, whether it's some kind of addiction, a mental or physical health issue, incurable Bills fan syndrome, etc. The first step is always the hardest but there's no way he can say he hasn't been afforded plenty of opportunities to get help and work on his issues. 

He grew up in an affluent family with two Harvard graduates for parents. His father is a professor of criminal justice administration at Cal State and his mother is a corporate lawyer for Toyota. While he may have had all the material wants/needs while growing up, he felt like an outsider because he isn't your average, everyday middle-class American. I don't know if he was made to feel that way by other kids in school or if he just felt that way naturally. Either way, again, we all deal with our crap and at a certain point you figure out a way to work on it and manage it or you give in and let it consume you. I hope he can turn it around and realize his current train of thought will do no one any good, including him.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Nope. wrong. Ritchie Incognito messed up this dude with the bullying. Bullying is unacceptable at any level especially when it's combined with racism.

The bullying was addressed. The players were separated. Richie was punished by the NFL and Martin got a fresh start. 

Incognito is a scumbag for many reasons, but even with his bullying of Martin, he has nothing to do with Martin's actions here. He did not make Martin buy a shotgun or post that image with those words. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We know one fact.  He posted a pic of a gun with words "suicide" and "revenge" in it.

I think he might be crying for help as well but there are more sane ways of doing it.

He is not thinking in a sane way...that's my point! We never thought my sister would put a pistol to her head in front of my other sister..but she did.And she was a OR nurse..it haunts us everyday and in a way has tore our family apart.I'm out of this thread now..it's hitting home to hard for me.peace.

• Sad 1

Raise your hand if you were one of the many ass-hats on this board who bought in Martin's b.s. story without a second thought, threw Incognito under the bus and then declared how you'd never stand for him playing in Buffalo!

3 hours ago, davspo said:

Since the beginning of the bullying issue this guy has not been right in the head.  

Fixed

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Raise your hand if you were one of the many ass-hats on this board who bought in Martin's b.s. story without a second thought, threw Incognito under the bus and then declared how you'd never stand for him playing in Buffalo!

Fixed

My heart still bleeds for them. :(

3 hours ago, Murdox said:

a guy with a suicide vendetta like this punk Cruz would only welcome the chance to  go out shooting and take on an armed school. 

Except Cruz wasn't suicidal....he high tailed it out of there before the guys with guns showed up.

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I always struggled to believe the racist aspects of the accusations as Cog seems to be fine with other teammates. Seems like a deeply disturbed individual who was in a poor environment. Hard to imagine an NFL locker room ever being good for someone who has this to deal with. 

Incognito would discuss (not with black team mates) which guns or gun sights were good for shooting black people.

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Well, on the one hand... This is potentially another CTE/football related mental health issue and those continue to be a sore spot/spot of contention for the NFL. 

Secondly, if this is a pre-existing mental health issue it points to the fact that this guy worked for the NFL (specifically for the dolphins) for several years and people did not notice/pick up on the issues he was dealing with or else did not pursue getting him needed help. 

Thirdly, it brings into question how readily the NFL was to listen and discipline other people based on the testimony of an (apparently) deranged person. 

The Title of this very thread is why it looks bad: "Former NFL Lineman" ..... That is going to be the tagline whether or not it's deserved. 

Martin wasn't fortunate enough to play long enough in the NFL to further his CTE there.  He was always a head case.  His time on the Dolphins put him over the edge.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

It wasn't Martin's "BS story" that did Incognito in.  It was RI's hundreds of texts and phone calls in his own words that led to his punishment.  They weren't "accusations".  It was what it was...

None of Martin's whacked out behavior now undoes any of that.

1 hour ago, LA Grant said:

The bullying was addressed. The players were separated. Richie was punished by the NFL and Martin got a fresh start. 

Incognito is a scumbag for many reasons, but even with his bullying of Martin, he has nothing to do with Martin's actions here. He did not make Martin buy a shotgun or post that image with those words. 

I never said that Incognito is responsible for what Martin posted with the guns. Martin is responsible for that and I'm glad the cops got him before he did anything. However, can't erase Incognito's past. He is partly responsible for causing damage to Martin's mental health, but NOT responsible for what Martin did just now.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Except Cruz wasn't suicidal....he high tailed it out of there before the guys with guns showed up.

Incognito would discuss (not with black team mates) which guns or gun sights were good for shooting black people.

Martin wasn't fortunate enough to play long enough in the NFL to further his CTE there.  He was always a head case.  His time on the Dolphins put him over the edge.

It wasn't Martin's "BS story" that did Incognito in.  It was RI's hundreds of texts and phone calls in his own words that led to his punishment.  They weren't "accusations".  It was what it was...

None of Martin's whacked out behavior now undoes any of that.

Well I mean if he does have a mental illness, and his hatred for "white rich kids"... Martin could of used just just joking words against Richie or even misconstrue Richie's words. I always thought that Martin was just overacting to stuff that happens to everyone... This kind of backs that thought up

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well I mean if he does have a mental illness, and his hatred for "white rich kids"... Martin could of used just just joking words against Richie or even misconstrue Richie's words. I always thought that Martin was just overacting to stuff that happens to everyone... This kind of backs that thought up

yeah, you should probably familiarize yourself with what he said back then and see if it's something you might misconstrue.

A real problem we have is the victim mentality.  Sometimes people are dicks and there's no doubt about that.  But the bull **** social media outrage about every little thing has become ridiculous. Everyone who gets their feelings hurt now has the ability to get on a soapbox and rage against the world. It's a shame because some people have real struggles, but for the most part it's just a bunch of sheep trying to get followers and be relevant on social media. 

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'd be interested in reading more on this. Can i get a link.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

A real problem we have is the victim mentality.  Sometimes people are dicks and there's no doubt about that.  But the bull **** social media outrage about every little thing has become ridiculous. Everyone who gets their feelings hurt now has the ability to get on a soapbox and rage against the world. It's a shame because some people have real struggles, but for the most part it's just a bunch of sheep trying to get followers and be relevant on social media. 

People are soft these days. I got picked on all the time because coming up through school I was a short, fat kid who's parents didn't have a lot of money so I didn't grow up with the nicest things like a lot of kids I went to school with. I'm still only 5'6", but have lifted weights for 20+ years now so I look different. A lot of the same people who talked all that sh*t are now on the other end of the spectrum these days. I actually think that stuff drove me to better myself, not have a breakdown. Everyone is different though and I'm not justifying the behavior, but just making the point that there have always been a**holes and there will continue to be. Words are always thrown around, it's the physical aspect that the same a**holes deserve to catch a chair to the face over.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

yeah, you should probably familiarize yourself with what he said back then and see if it's something you might misconstrue.

I know his words... Have you ever heard friends talk with each other? Friends jokingly say those things all the time. Maybe the words weren't misconstrued but maybe the the intent was. I mean it just wasn't Richie who was accused but John Jerry and Mike Pouncey as well... I highly doubt that 3 different teammates all meant what was being said and we're trying to bully. Just probably some joking locker room talk among friends.

Edited by Kmart128

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

People are soft these days. I got picked on all the time because coming up through school I was a short, fat kid who's parents didn't have a lot of money so I didn't grow up with the nicest things like a lot of kids I went to school with. I'm still only 5'6", but have lifted weights for 20+ years now so I look different. A lot of the same people who talked all that sh*t are now on the other end of the spectrum these days. I actually think that stuff drove me to better myself, not have a breakdown. Everyone is different though and I'm not justifying the behavior, but just making the point that there have always been a**holes and there will continue to be. Words are always thrown around, it's the physical aspect that the same a**holes deserve to catch a chair to the face over.  

#Me Too!

As an 8th grader, I was asked to take a couple days off (Suspended) For attacking a kid who was bullying me in Jr High... I HAD to do it... I complained to my dad, who basically told me to STFU and defend myself. -He took me fishing during the suspension and let me finish my first whole beer!

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 2

It's pretty clear from the phrasing Martin wasn't making a statement on bullying, he was making a statement on COWARDICE...that the coward's way out of bullying is to shoot up a school.  He wasn't issuing a threat, he was calling the shooters cowards.

Has everyone really become this obtuse.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's pretty clear from the phrasing Martin wasn't making a statement on bullying, he was making a statement on COWARDICE...that the coward's way out of bullying is to shoot up a school.  He wasn't issuing a threat, he was calling the shooters cowards.

Hard to agree with this when he put the name of his High School and the Dolphins on the rifle in addition to names of people who bullied him.  No sale!

4 hours ago, KDS73 said:

The fact that he tagged Richie there tells me he feels as though Richie is at least partly to blame for reaching such a desperate mental state.  

Richie should pay someone to cut off dudes 10 fingers. Hard to shoot without fingers.

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What he wrote was inappropriate.  But his former Dolphins teammates obviously saw it and still supported him and not Martin. 

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That likely was what he was going for, but he shouldn't have included the picture of the gun, much less put the names of the HS and Dolphins on it. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hard to agree with this when he put the name of his High School and the Dolphins on the rifle in addition to names of people who bullied him.  No sale!

Shotgun ;) But other than that I agree. When you tag your former "bullies" and place the name of your school and former team on the gun then that is no misunderstanding.

He is currently hospitalized so they have to be doing some psychological testing on him.

15 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

When everyone else here read it one way and you another, it makes everyone else obtuse?!

OK!?

All hail to dc tom! u iz sowe smartur then uss.