Former NFL Lineman Jonathan Martin Seems Very Troubled - Has Been Taken into Custody

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I will be very interested to see how quickly (if at all) official NFL channels begin their reporting on this... Seems like the whole thing with him was meant to be swept under the rug and this really paints the NFL in a bad light.

The !@#$ this have to do with the NFL? he's been out of the league for 3 years

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The !@#$ this have to do with the NFL? he's been out of the league for 3 years

Well, on the one hand... This is potentially another CTE/football related mental health issue and those continue to be a sore spot/spot of contention for the NFL. 

Secondly, if this is a pre-existing mental health issue it points to the fact that this guy worked for the NFL (specifically for the dolphins) for several years and people did not notice/pick up on the issues he was dealing with or else did not pursue getting him needed help. 

Thirdly, it brings into question how readily the NFL was to listen and discipline other people based on the testimony of an (apparently) deranged person. 

The Title of this very thread is why it looks bad: "Former NFL Lineman" ..... That is going to be the tagline whether or not it's deserved. 

Edited by whatdrought

Just now, whatdrought said:

Well, on the one hand... This is either another CTE issue and those continue to be a sore spot/spot of contention for the NFL. 

Secondly, if this is a pre-existing mental health issue it points to the light that this guy worked for the NFL (specifically for the dolphins) for several years and people did not notice/pick up on the issues he was dealing with or else did not pursue getting him needed help. 

Thirdly, it brings into question how readily the NFL was to listen and discipline other people based on the testimony of an (apparently) deranged person. 

The Title of this very thread is why it looks bad: "Former NFL Lineman" ..... That is going to be the tagline whether or not it's deserved. 

It seems pre-existing since this dates back to HS. But it will drag that whole Richie story/Ted Wells investigation back out.

Not to make light of this post but does he even know what he is saying here?  The text states:

If you're a bully victim and a coward you have 2 choices.

If you're a bully victim and a coward

So he's calling himself a coward?  Then threatening violence at the end?  Hopefully he was using this as a cry for help because it reads like a giant one.

1 minute ago, section122 said:

Not to make light of this post but does he even know what he is saying here?  The text states:

So he's calling himself a coward?  Then threatening violence at the end?  Hopefully he was using this as a cry for help because it reads like a giant one.

Yes I think he was calling himself a coward

7 minutes ago, section122 said:

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes I think he was calling himself a coward

I almost think he's saying that he ISNT a coward, because only cowards take the suicide or mass shooting route. And he has not. I think he was trying to say, "I was bullied from high school all the way through the NFL. I also have a gun. But I'd never use it". But damn, that is NOT the way it comes across. Horrible execution. The imagery is just too strong.

Richie may be a bit of a handful, but context clues are starting to add up.  It’s telling none of his Fins teammates ever stood up for Martin....heck one stood up for Hernandez.  It’s further telling that Martin seems to have a clear complex where everyone is a bully to him.  I’m sure it’s disturbing for Richie to see his name next to a gun like that....but hopefully he sees this post for what it is, vindication...as clearly Martin is crazy.  

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm pretty sure a medical evaluation will be enough to hold him longer, but this isn't over by a long shot....

Oh I know,it's not over.Sadly,people in his state of mind usually end up doing what they intended to do.My sister got very,very sad and she had a great life..we lost her to suicide..all of the help in the world couldn't get her to keep living.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Oh I know,it's not over.Sadly,people in his state of mind usually end up doing what they intended to do.My sister got very,very sad and she had a great life..we lost her to suicide..all of the help in the world couldn't get her to keep living.

I'm sorry to hear that...

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I almost think he's saying that he ISNT a coward, because only cowards take the suicide or mass shooting route. And he has not. I think he was trying to say, "I was bullied from high school all the way through the NFL. I also have a gun. But I'd never use it". But damn, that is NOT the way it comes across. Horrible execution. The imagery is just too strong.

I think he's feeling as if he is a coward because you didn't stand up for himself and all of this initially began and he is feeling as if he should have done more to protect himself.

I hope this guy gets help, it's been clear for a while that he needs it

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I've lost many great friends to Suicide, there's  nothing you can do for the ones that truly wish to end their life

I'm sorry for your loss in the loss of so many with mental illnesses

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh, yeah I can see that now. It’s definitely hard to interpret 

Just now, Process said:

Imo, if someone posts something like this, they are 

Extremely mentally I'll

Wants someone to stop then from doing a terrible thing they are about to do 

He is very troubled and hope he gets the help he needs

I'm thinking he did it on purpose to get help.  When you go to the social media with this type of post...it will go viral.

Maybe this is his cry for help.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DC Grid said:

Richie may be a bit of a handful, but context clues are starting to add up.  It’s telling none of his Fins teammates ever stood up for Martin....heck one stood up for Hernandez.  It’s further telling that Martin seems to have a clear complex where everyone is a bully to him.  I’m sure it’s disturbing for Richie to see his name next to a gun like that....but hopefully he sees this post for what it is, vindication...as clearly Martin is crazy.  

To call him crazy is wrong.obviously he is crying out for help...don't try to judge a person that suffers from depression/mental illness without knowing all the facts..which you don't.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh, yeah I can see that now. It’s definitely hard to interpret 

Yeah, regardless of his intent, the fact that its so unclear is almost even more troubling. If you can't make a clear statement on something like this, there is a big problem in cognitive ability.

Yeah, regardless of his intent, the fact that its so unclear is almost even more troubling. If you can't make a clear statement on something like this, there is a big problem in cognitive ability.

He said there are two ways out: suicide or revenge.  Either way looks like he intends to use that gun.  I don't see any ambiguity or reluctance to use that gun.  Looks like the only question left is who its pointed at.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

He said there are two ways out: suicide or revenge.  Either way looks like he intends to use that gun.  I don't see any ambiguity or reluctance to use that gun.  Looks like the only question left is who its pointed at.

Read the whole sentence, not just the last part. The qualifiers are important. "When you are a bully victim AND A COWARD, your options are suicide or revenge".

That's a hard AND statement. If he just said "When you are a bully victim, your options are suicide or revenge" that would be different.

But who knows. I'm just trying to figure out this puzzle.

14 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

To call him crazy is wrong.obviously he is crying out for help...don't try to judge a person that suffers from depression/mental illness without knowing all the facts..which you don't.

He threatened the lives of his teammates and children... He is crazy.

Read the whole sentence, not just the last part. The qualifiers are important. "When you are a bully victim AND A COWARD, your options are suicide or revenge".

That's a hard AND statement. If he just said "When you are a bully victim, your options are suicide or revenge" that would be different.

But who knows. I'm just trying to figure out this puzzle.

The fact that the post leaves the audience debating the message means the execution was just awful.  Shouldn't be left to interpret.

The message should have been like the instant replay overturn rules.....clear and obvious.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I dunno - something doesn't ring right about this whole thing.  At least he has someone looking after him now.  I wouldn't want to be in his shoes now.  In this day and age threatening a school directly or indirectly will NOT be looked upon kindly.  AT.  ALL.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

We know one fact.  He posted a pic of a gun with words "suicide" and "revenge" in it.

I think he might be crying for help as well but there are more sane ways of doing it.

9 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Conservative thinking: 

"Let's give all these NFL players guns now to protect themselves from other retired/bullied players."

LOL

Liberal thinking:

"Let's just ban retired/bullied players from getting a shotgun and hope they don't get their hands on one."

LOL

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, KDS73 said:

An obvious cry for help.  

Yes and obviously his issues run deep. I understand incognito may have been at fault when that whole thing went down, but it's starting to look like this guy is all out of whack. You don't do this kind of thing as a full grown adult and not have a few screws loose