Former NFL Lineman Jonathan Martin Seems Very Troubled - Has Been Taken into Custody

26CornerBlitz

4 hours ago, Rob's House said:

My advice is to learn from this and move on with your life. Ted Wells and the NFL told you what your inner bullied child wanted to hear and you bought it. Now you're still living in denial about being duped. That's not healthy.

Sure. Hey there’s a flat earth thread available now if you’d like to post your views there too. I’m sure that the round Earth is also a conspiracy by The Man.

Edited by vincec

On 2/24/2018 at 12:45 AM, JerseyBills said:

True..But if they deem him to be mentally unstable and/or at risk to hurt himself or others they can keep him for however long they feel is needed. Almost certain he will be committed to a facility for an extended period of time.

After the tragedy at the Florida high school, they will certainly be keeping him on lock down for a couple months at least. Better safe than sorry

I don't think you have the faintest understanding of how the courts and involuntary commitment proceedings for mental health work.

You can keep a person involuntarily if you believe him to be an imminent risk to himself or to others.  Once he's on medication, and evaluated as not an imminent risk, you have to let him go.  There is no "almost certain...extended period" or "however long they feel is needed".    This is a source of sorrow, anger, and frustration to many the family of a loved one who is mentally ill and who desire to see them stay in treatment long enough to do some good.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think you have the faintest understanding of how the courts and involuntary commitment proceedings for mental health work.

You can keep a person involuntarily if you believe him to be an imminent risk to himself or to others.  Once he's on medication, and evaluated as not an imminent risk, you have to let him go.  There is no "almost certain...extended period" or "however long they feel is needed".    This is a source of sorrow, anger, and frustration to many the family of a loved one who is mentally ill and who desire to see them stay in treatment long enough to do some good.

I totally agree. I'm very aware how the system works considering my gf works in an institution and psychology has always intrigued me, as well as personal experiences with friends.

I'd say 6 -10 weeks roughly, depending the diagnosis and the level of risk they establish. Most of the medications take time to take affect and time is needed for doctors to evaluate how a person is responding to these meds. 

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I totally agree. I'm very aware how the system works considering my gf works in an institution and psychology has always intrigued me, as well as personal experiences with friends.

I'd say 6 -10 weeks roughly, depending the diagnosis and the level of risk they establish. Most of the medications take time to take affect and time is needed for doctors to evaluate how a person is responding to these meds. 

Huh, guess all the beer-drinking psych interns I knew complaining about how they couldn't detain someone or force him to seek treatment were just over their limit.  Or maybe the law and its interpretation differ from state to state.  Martin in Cali now?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh, guess all the beer-drinking psych interns I knew complaining about how they couldn't detain someone or force him to seek treatment were just over their limit.  Or maybe the law and its interpretation differ from state to state.  Martin in Cali now?

Yea I'm strictly going off NJ state policy. I'm almost certain it differs from state to state. Basically if you are held without your consent here in NJ , you must be cleared by a head psychiatrist of that facility.  There are many variables at play though

Ya know I get the guy was bullied... However he's a complete clown to post something like this after what had happened around the country. They really need to start seriously charging people for these type of threats. Its not a joke anymore (if it ever was.) Make it mandatory they get mental health evaluations as part of their punishment too.

Update - I eat crow -  Richie had better watch his six.  Martin was first apprehended while in his car and he had two guns with him.  He purchased them both very recently and one was very similar to the shotgun in the picture.  Or so I read this am.  

• Like (+1) 1

School files restraining order against Martin

Harvard-Westlake School filed a workplace violence prevention restraining order against former NFL offensive lineman Jonathan Martin on Thursday at the Santa Monica Courthouse, according to a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Martin was detained for questioning in Los Angeles last Friday as a result of a threatening image posted on social media but was released later in the day, according to a spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department.

This guy needs professional help and intervention.

He publically and behaviorally has shown characteristics appearing to possibly be gender conflicted or some other personality/mental disorder. I hope those close to him get him some counseling or other treatment that will give him a better chance to lead his life in a direction that makes him happy, whatever that may be.  A life appears to be hanging in the balance here.

37 minutes ago, cba fan said:

This guy needs professional help and intervention.

He publically and behaviorally has shown characteristics appearing to possibly be gender conflicted or some other personality/mental disorder. I hope those close to him get him some counseling or other treatment that will give him a better chance to lead his life in a direction that makes him happy, whatever that may be.  A life appears to be hanging in the balance here.

Is that your professional diagnosis?

31 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I still laugh at the flack those who called Martin a pansy got for calling him just what he is - an unbalanced kitty cat. 

Mental health issues are no laughing matter and shouldnt be the basis for ridicule and contempt.

If I went into the Kelly Cancer thread and made some stupid comment like "Looks like McD and Beane really are serious about cleaning house! har har" I'd expect to catch a ton of flack, and rightfully so.

Dude needs help. Leave it at that.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I still laugh at the flack those who called Martin a pansy got for calling him just what he is - an unbalanced kitty cat. 

I said this to Rob's House I'll say this here.

It was pretty clear at the time that Martin had mad issues that preceded and went beyond anything Incognito said or did.

That was also true of Incognito: back to his college days and his days with the Rams and Martz screaming on the sideline "What is WRONG with that F*@KER!"

Two things can be true at once: Incognito's behavior was over-the-top and unacceptable, AND Martin was/is unbalanced. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Mental health issues are no laughing matter and shouldnt be the basis for ridicule and contempt.

If I went into the Kelly Cancer thread and made some stupid comment like "Looks like McD and Beane really are serious about cleaning house! har har" I'd expect to catch a ton of flack, and rightfully so.

Dude needs help. Leave it at that.

Of course, it is that simple but anyone bringing that up in the thread at the time were condemned as if the situation could not be mutually exclusive. 

Mental health is serious and I'm hoping that Martin can get his act together. But, in the sport of manly men as football thinks it is, Martin nor incognito could survive at the time; both were removed from the league quickly. One returned and has changed his life around and we can hope the other does, too.

On 2/24/2018 at 2:23 PM, DC Tom said:

And yet, he wasn't charged, he's not in police custody, the police determined there was no threat (they have explicitly said "There was no threat.")  He was, however, placed on a 72-hour psych hold.  He did not check himself in.  

And there's the little thing that you're arguing that he was calling himself a coward.  Which makes absolutely no !@#$ing sense whatsoever.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/jonathan-martin-instagram-dolphins-harvard-westlake-high-school-california-loaded-gun-knife-axe/1fqxxee8s5v9t1l2w7gwr010og?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I guess it makes a little sense, since I was right and you were completely wrong.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

That meither proves you right nor me wrong.

It validates your feelings, but I don't give a **** about those.

29 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That meither proves you right nor me wrong.

It validates your feelings, but I don't give a **** about those.

Mot Mery Mice. You're right of course. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to drive around with a loaded shotgun, an axe and a knife in the middle of an affluent LA suburb. 

Edited by ndirish1978

On 2/25/2018 at 9:02 AM, Rob's House said:

My advice is to learn from this and move on with your life. Ted Wells and the NFL told you what your inner bullied child wanted to hear and you bought it. Now you're still living in denial about being duped. That's not healthy.

Hahahaha

49 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to drive around with a loaded shotgun, an axe and a knife in the middle of an affluent LA suburb. 

Which also has nothing to do with anything either one of us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Jonathan Martin reportedly hit with five charges over threatening Instagram post

Jonathan Martin is facing some serious charges after being involved in an incident in February

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jonathan-martin-reportedly-hit-with-five-charges-over-threatening-instagram-post/

I'd have just beat up Incognito.