Potential replacements for Eric Wood

32 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Groy is the leader in the clubhouse, but with 3 holes on the OL now, those who wanted to draft an RB will likely be disappointed.  This could also impact Buffalo's ability to move up, unless there are good FA center options.  Replacing Wood is a serious monkey in the wrench for the Bills off-season.

Why don't we see how free agency plays out...?  It starts like 2 months before the draft.

49 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

This is a very real and natural place to go after hearing the news but one of the things that's really starting to turn me off about football. I don't blame you at all for starting the thread and it's a discussion to have but brutal to hear about a guy being forced into retirement and having this be one of the first items we are forced to turn to as a fanbase or organization.

I hear ya, Chuck, but I don't think it is really football to blame as much as it is our internet culture.

7 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Regardless of how the Bills decide to address the issue, without a doubt throws a big monkey in their prior plans for FA and Draft. It will be interesting to see how Beane and company adjust...

Yes.  Truly C was not a spot they were considering they'd have to fill this offseason...or for a few years, for that matter.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

Wood is a great buy (it seems) and an above average center.  He does have a couple bad games a year, but overall was a plus for the team.

With Wood gone...Incognito maybe gone? (or at least he is getting older), Glenn maybe gone, we could be looking at a HUGE question mark for the ENTIRE line next year.

51 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

First of all, thank you Eric for your service here and we all wish you well.  We now need to look for his replacement.  Do we go the free agent route, draft pick or next man up?  Is Groy the replacement or are we looking to draft one of this class's top centers?  This class has quite a few options at the center position but this would be something that would need to be taken in the 1st or 2nd round.  Or do we hit the market and try to sign a guy like Ryan Jensen who was a first year starter this year for Baltimore but played like on of the top ones in the game.  He's already stated that he's excited to see where this offseason takes him so he may be available.  The more and more the offseason goes on, the more I think we will not be trading any of these picks to get a QB.  Now we have another huge hole on the roster that needs to be filled.  What are you thoughts on replacing wood?

Groy all day. When he filled in before the line was quite good and I would want to give him a full chance before even thinking of looking elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I love Hubbard and if  Groy is looking good at Center we can kick him outside at RT or even at guard . Hubbard can play all 5 spots on the line he'll be in demand this offseason. 

After re-signing some of our own, Hubbard is one of, if not the, priority FA for me. Provides a lot of value and won't break the bank, despite that I agree he will have suitors. 

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Why don't we see how free agency plays out...?  It starts like 2 months before the draft.

Because people discuss these things on a Buffalo Bills message board.

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Wood is a great buy (it seems) and an above average center.  He does have a couple bad games a year, but overall was a plus for the team.

With Wood gone...Incognito maybe gone? (or at least he is getting older), Glenn maybe gone, we could be looking at a HUGE question mark for the ENTIRE line next year.

Expect something like this:

Dawkins Incognito Groy Miller (due to scheme shifting back to his strength) RT-Draft pick or FA

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I hear ya, Chuck, but I don't think it is really football to blame as much as it is our internet culture.

Yes.  Truly C was not a spot they were considering theyd have to fill this offseason...or for a few years, for that matter.

Thanks dude.  I get it.  I said it's a natural thought to think about replacements and view these guys just as X's and O's on our TVs.  Just something that's starting to turn me off as I am now getting older than the majority of guys still playing.  I didn't mean to attack anyone or incite anything.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There’s a good cchance that he doesn’t make it out of round 1. There’s no chance that he makes it out of round 2.

Dark horse is Bradley Bozeman, played at Alabama for Daboll. He knows if he is NFL Caliber. 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

This is a very real and natural place to go after hearing the news but one of the things that's really starting to turn me off about football. I don't blame you at all for starting the thread and it's a discussion to have but brutal to hear about a guy being forced into retirement and having this be one of the first items we are forced to turn to as a fanbase or organization.

I don't get it.  Nobody is being disrespectful to Eric Wood.  Knowing that he won't be here, it's natural for people to start wondering "What do we do now at center?"  It's just speculation on where the team will go in his absence.  Everyone here wishes him and his family well moving forward, but he will have to be replaced by someone.

• Like (+1) 2

Fun fact, Groy spent about a month on the Patriots roster in 2015 while Daboll was there, so there is some crossover. It's not a big connection, but they are familiar with each other and one would assume he is the type of lineman who fit the scheme.  

Also, I know we all hate Juan Castillo, but if he is back Ryan Jensen would be a nice get in free agency. Jensen developed under Castillo and had a really nice year in his first year as a starter. He's 26 years old. He can also play guard. 

Honestly I'd sign Jensen and have Groy. One plays center, one plays RG. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

21 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Groy all day. When he filled in before the line was quite good and I would want to give him a full chance before even thinking of looking elsewhere.

I'd be bringing in someone to compete.  I'm not just going to hand him the job.  I'd draft someone and have them compete.  We need depth too and Incognito is old and RG is up for grabs too.  We could use a few new lineman

44 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

What's the salary cap implications?  He just signed a 2 year extension this year.  Will there be a dead cap like him being cut?  Or would the Bills recoup all that $ since he is retiring?  And not trying to be insensitive to him, he's a great guy and player.  Just wondering since roughly $8 million a year is a big chunk for cap reasons

We are in big trouble unfortunately because of the extension, will seriously hamper this teams offseason plans now because of the impending $10 million cap hit.

Groy is probably going to be the guy by default but this obviously opens up another glaring hole to pursue in FA and the draft.

It'll be interesting to see what takes place.  I'm disappointed for Eric.  He was a classic lunchpail guy.  The issue I'm seeing right now is that the OL outside of Dawkins and Incognito is in shambles.  We're not sure of what will happen with Glenn.  The entire right side needs to be upgraded.

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

Wood's cap number is $8.625MM.  I'm assuming this all gets freed if he retires, correct?

That's a significant chunk of money... they will be able to go after someone in FA.

Does not.  Read it actually goes to 10 million with retirement 

As I said in the other thread, Groy played very well when Wood went down last year. I think the staff knows and is comfortable plugging him in there. They don't need to put another position on the FA/draft priorities list this year.

There are so many ways the Bills could go, I don't see too much point in trying to predict it.  The most obvious are, of course, Ryan Groy or a high draft pick (Billy Price).  Price stands a good chance of being available where Buffalo picks and would be a good value.  If the Bills go with Groy, they might look for a veteran free agent to back him up, or a day 3 draft pick, or maybe even a UDFA.  

1 hour ago, Process said:

This is just a stupid post, I'm sorry. We are all very concerned for him, he seams like a really great guy and was great for the community. But none of us know him personally and our lives will move on. Wish him the best, but there are far more tragic things that happen in this world every single day. 

Anyways, there's nothing wrong with this thread. To be honest I'm not too concerned for the bills, he's always been a bit overrated as a player and at his age would have needed to be replaced in the next couple years anyways. 

Wishing you the best Eric. 

I totally agree. There's multiple threads discussing Wood , the injury and his legacy as a Bill. Nothing but respect being shown and prayers being said. This is a Bills board and the OP is bringing up a very real and valid point. What do you think our front office is doing? The people that know him and his family? They are evaluating the hole left and evaluating what to do about this sad news. 

With that said, Groy I believe might be better on the field, I think he can be a slight upgrade on the field. Wood will leave a big time void though as a respected leader and captain. 

My prayers to him and his family.

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

When would be good for you?

News came out less than an hour ago. Eric Wood is the gold standard as far as what a Buffalo Bill should be. I just think it comes off as callous and ungrateful to start lining up potential replacements. Now is the time for thoughts and prayers, just seems way too early for this. I don't care who replaces Wood, I just hope he recovers and lives a happy and healthy life.

A suggestion. Per Walterfootball:

Austin Corbett, OT/C, Nevada 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 305. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.12. 
Projected Round (2018): 3-5. 
1/22/18: Corbett was a versatile blocker for Nevada since he became a freshman starter. As a redshirt freshman and sophomore, Corbett was Nevada's starter at left tackle. For his junior year, he moved to right tackle, but was back at left tackle as a senior. Corbett received a Senior Bowl invitation and is listed at center for practicing in Mobile.

Will be interested to see how he fares during the Senior Bowl practices/game. We know OBD likes 4-year starters. Versatile. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

News came out less than an hour ago. Eric Wood is the gold standard as far as what a Buffalo Bill should be. I just think it comes off as callous and ungrateful to start lining up potential replacements. Now is the time for thoughts and prayers, just seems way too early for this. I don't care who replaces Wood, I just hope he recovers and lives a happy and healthy life.

So when is okay?

24 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Not according to Sportrac. The first link is about how retirement affects the salary cap, which would make it essentially the same as a cut.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eric-wood-5637/

Not sure where you guys are getting the $10m number (actually curious -- i'm no expert and recognize i could very well be wrong), but according to what I've read, it's 5.5m. It would have been an 8.5m hit if he were still playing. Wish it were an 8.5 mil hit and he were still able to play next year, but these appear to be the facts.

32 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Sportrac has it at $5,591,668.  4.3 in prorated bonus money, and a restructure bonus that lowered his cap hit from last year.

7 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Not according to Sportrac. The first link is about how retirement affects the salary cap, which would make it essentially the same as a cut.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eric-wood-5637/

Not sure where you guys are getting the $10m number (actually curious -- i'm no expert and recognize i could very well be wrong), but according to what I've read, it's 5.5m. It would have been an 8.5m hit if he were still playing. Wish it were an 8.5 mil hit and he were still able to play next year, but these appear to be the facts.

Yeah - all the bonus money is already paid so that gets pushed into this year.  Roster bonuses/workout bonuses don't count - as they were not met.  Guaranteed base salary is also paid out, but he didn't have any. 

38 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It wasn't really that hefty.

For a back up that wasn't slated to even compete for the RG spot....I thought it was a little high.  I thought after he signed it, he would compete to start at RG.

The tender we matched from the Rams was near a 2nd round tender.

Edited by Royale with Cheese