Potential replacements for Eric Wood

53 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

News came out less than an hour ago. Eric Wood is the gold standard as far as what a Buffalo Bill should be. I just think it comes off as callous and ungrateful to start lining up potential replacements. Now is the time for thoughts and prayers, just seems way too early for this. I don't care who replaces Wood, I just hope he recovers and lives a happy and healthy life.

Is it appropriate for McD, Beane, Daboll et al to be lining up potential replacement candidates at this moment?

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

This is a very real and natural place to go after hearing the news but one of the things that's really starting to turn me off about football. I don't blame you at all for starting the thread and it's a discussion to have but brutal to hear about a guy being forced into retirement and having this be one of the first items we are forced to turn to as a fanbase or organization.

In football terms, Next Man Up!

Thanks for the memories, Eric!

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Groy is the leader in the clubhouse, but with 3 holes on the OL now, those who wanted to draft an RB will likely be disappointed.  This could also impact Buffalo's ability to move up, unless there are good FA center options.  Replacing Wood is a serious monkey in the wrench for the Bills off-season.

Good point, with Eric out and Kyle possibly retiring, we seem to have too many holes to fill to give up any picks. 

40 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Would love it, but don't see him falling that far. Would most likely take #21 or #22. 

Really? I don’t think he was going to go so high. We have to figure something out. I don’t know if there is another college player at Center that can come

in and start right now. 

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

There gonna go with Groy and sign a back up quality center. He played well when Wood got hurt in 2016

That would only make this whole debacle look MORE racist than it already looks.  Why would you want MORE racism? NFL's best fans indeed.

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

Not according to Sportrac. The first link is about how retirement affects the salary cap, which would make it essentially the same as a cut.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eric-wood-5637/

Not sure where you guys are getting the $10m number (actually curious -- i'm no expert and recognize i could very well be wrong), but according to what I've read, it's 5.5m. It would have been an 8.5m hit if he were still playing. Wish it were an 8.5 mil hit and he were still able to play next year, but these appear to be the facts.

$4.8mil 2018 base salary = 100% guaranteed for injury  + $4,333,333 signing bonus + $1,258,334 restructure bonus = $10,391,668 dead money.

Sad day for Eric, sad day for the Bills fans, sad day for the team going forward now that they lost their starting center who will count $10.4mil against the cap anyway.  

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Really? I don’t think he was going to go so high. We have to figure something out. I don’t know if there is another college player at Center that can come

in and start right now. 

With Groy, I'm not sure we need one. I suggested Corbett from Nevada in the mid-rounds - he can and has played I think all OL positions and started 4 years. 

20 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

With Groy, I'm not sure we need one. I suggested Corbett from Nevada in the mid-rounds - he can and has played I think all OL positions and started 4 years. 

As another posted suggested. James Daniel, C, University of Iowa should be on our immediate radar.

52 minutes ago, wppete said:

in and start right now. 

Here are the Center rankings from Walterfootball.  http://walterfootball.com/draft2018C.php

Here is CBS Sports, although they have some Center prospects (such as Price) listed as guards.   https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/centers/

I'd expect Bozeman and the other SEC Center's to be a known quantity (either good or bad) with the new OC.   

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Thanks dude.  I get it.  I said it's a natural thought to think about replacements and view these guys just as X's and O's on our TVs.  Just something that's starting to turn me off as I am now getting older than the majority of guys still playing.  I didn't mean to attack anyone or incite anything.

Oh you did not attack anyone, and I am aging right along with you, my friend.

What an age we live in.  What's up?  What's now?  What's next?  :(

Wood is just plain a Buffalo Guy...I don't like losing guys like him, that's for darn sure.  

Do you remember that time he pissed and moaned about playing in Buffalo?

...yeah, I don't either...ever.

• Like (+1) 2

2018 Dead Cap

These cap figures derive from the trade or release of players from the active roster or practice squad. All count toward the team total.

Player (10)
Pos.
Base Salary
Signing Bonus
Roster Bonus
Option Bonus
Workout Bonus
Restruc. Bonus
Misc.
Dead Cap
Cap Hit
Cap %
DareusMarcell Dareus DT - $10,000,000 - $4,200,000 - - - - $14,200,000 9.17
WoodEric Wood C $4,800,000 $4,333,334 - - - $1,258,334 - - $10,391,668 6.71
WilliamsAaron Williams SS - $1,300,000 - $1,125,000 - - - - $2,425,000 1.57
RaglandReggie Ragland ILB - $1,224,135 - - - - - - $1,224,135 0.79
DarbyRonald Darby CB - $395,853 - - - - - - $395,853 0.26
JonesCardale Jones QB - $191,696 - - - - - - $191,696 0.12
WilliamsJonathan Williams RB - $120,458 - - - - - - $120,458 0.08
ListenbeeKolby Listenbee WR - $66,466 - - - - - - $66,466 0.04
SeymourKevon Seymour CB - $50,178 - - - - - - $50,178 0.03
CroomJason Croom TE - $7,334 - - - - - - $7,334

Groy, at least for now. We have to many holes to not take advantage of a player that has shown he can hold the fort. We need a right side of the line and Richie isnt a spring chicken. as of last year Dawkins couldnt find his feet to play RT and who knows whats going to happen with Cordy.

1 hour ago, Adam727 said:

$4.8mil 2018 base salary = 100% guaranteed for injury  + $4,333,333 signing bonus + $1,258,334 restructure bonus = $10,391,668 dead money.

Sad day for Eric, sad day for the Bills fans, sad day for the team going forward now that they lost their starting center who will count $10.4mil against the cap anyway.  

can they do a post june deal and cut the number in half for this season 

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

That would only make this whole debacle look MORE racist than it already looks.  Why would you want MORE racism? NFL's best fans indeed.

Wait....what???

Im talking about starting Groy and signing a cheap vet back up C in FA.

What are you talking about?

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Groy is the leader in the clubhouse, but with 3 holes on the OL now, those who wanted to draft an RB will likely be disappointed.  This could also impact Buffalo's ability to move up, unless there are good FA center options.  Replacing Wood is a serious monkey in the wrench for the Bills off-season.

History has shown for the Bills and other NFL teams that, unless you want to invest in a Fournette or Gurley, productive running backs can be found in the later rounds and even undrafted free agents (Fred Jackson).

• Like (+1) 1

On January 26, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Adam727 said:

It's  wrong.  It's wrong.  It's wrong.  Dang it, it's just not right!

i know why the rule is in there, but come on.  Really?  There should be exceptions for career ending injuries as opposed to someone just retiring after taking a sweet heart deal to sign with a team?!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

It has to be Groy and I hope he is ready for the part. If he can perform at a high level Woods retirement won t hurt the team so much as Groy is already under contract and is paid too much to sit the bench. As much as I and most everyone else appreciates Wood's tenure as a Bill, the extension and 10 million cap hit for a guy over 30 whose performance was already declining was ill advised. The Bills dead cap hit this year is ridiculous and the result of many ill advised contracts and extensions. Unfortunately this cap situation is gonna severely limit their options for this season.

On January 26, 2018 at 12:47 PM, baskingridgebillsfan said:

at least they have Groy so it is not a code red situation.   Horrible , just horrible news about Eric Wood

When Wood retires due to injury the Bills still get the cap hit ?

That's the risk teams take when they manipulate the salary cap by trying to push money into the future and get players to restructure by giving them more guaranteed money.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:13 AM, John from Hemet said:

Def want to echo best wishes to Wood.....who I am at least glad like Kyle that he did get to make the playoffs before he was done.

I really think the replacement is already on the roster in Groy who frankly has been solid when he has played at both guard and center......its not a situation where  a high round pick needs to be spent here.

Exactly, Groy has played roughly as good as Wood has been when given the chance to play. Groy fills in and you bring in a low-cost vet or a late round pick to be the backup center. 

17 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It's  wrong.  It's wrong.  It's wrong.  Dang it, it's just not right!

i know why the rule is in there, but come on.  Really?  There shouldn't be exceptions for career ending injuries as opposed to someone just retiring after taking a sweet heart deal to sign with a team?!

Yeah it would be nice if there was some type of exception for situations like this where it's a total surprise career ending injury (he didn't really even start his new deal yet...) and it's clear that the team wasn't trying to manipulate the cap. 

I can see the abuse potential but you'd think there has to be ways to make it work. Have the player see an independent doctor appointed by the NFL to confirm the injury is career ending, or something along those lines.

And maybe have some type of age limit apply - like the NHL where contracts rules are different when signing guys 35+ and there are cap recapture penalties for retirement. 

A rule for career ending injury retirement would maybe even allow NFL teams to guarantee all contracts for career ending injury (at the least those caused by playing football), which should really be the case anyway (I believe it has to be written into the contract currently?). 

Maybe im not seeing something though? I feel like there has to be a good reason why a rule like this is not already in place...? 

On 1/26/2018 at 11:32 AM, BrotherChazz said:

Well I was hoping we'd draft several lineman already....so it's just one more to add to the list. Groy is adequate, but not great. Richie is getting older. The entire right side already needed replacing. We're going to have some not so sexy picks come draft day. IMO, this makes the decision to move up for a QB just that much harder. Hard to get rid of good draft picks with so many holes.  

I totally agree.  They need to take at least one OLer on Day 1 or 2 and at least one or more on Day 3.  They need to bring in a bunch of UDFAs, too.