Question for SDS

NewEra

I guess I should start by asking.  Does the Buffalo News offer any Bills related articles to non subs?  I believe the answer is yes, but I’m not positive because I don’t even try and find out.  Every time I’ve clicked on a BN link it says sub only.  I was wondering if it was possible to list the Buffalo New articles that are open to everyone on the top of the website or somehow mark them as non sub access.  

If not, anyone have link to the BN free article hub?  I’d hate to continue to miss out on ALL on the Bills content produced by Buffalos own publication.  Kinda sad

Curious: why do you expect to receive content which costs money to produce for free?  

Do you also go into a convenience store, ignore the items on the shelves with price tags, and then ask the clerk where the free stuff is located?

• Like (+1) 1

I have a sub to buffalo news but feel there bills coverage is weak not worth paying for.  Since they lost Ty Dunne and Tim Graham as regular contributor they have no feature writers. Vic Carucci is not nearly as plugged into the Bills as he was in previous regimes as an insider. Bucky and Sully are not worth the time unless you are into angry negative narratives. The rest of what is in the sports section is information that can be gathered for free elsewhere. I would rather read Joe B or some stuff from WGR than what you find in news.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Curious: why do you expect to receive content which costs money to produce for free?  

Do you also go into a convenience store, ignore the items on the shelves with price tags, and then ask the clerk where the free stuff is located?

We’ve had some ridiculous dudes with this stuff before but I don’t get beating up a guy for wanting to know whether or not an article is free before clicking. Seems an incredibly fair question and he doesn’t seem to be an entitled jerk about it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

yes Martha, dinosaurs still live!

...how much longer though??

He probably expects that because the BN has offered articles for free online since, well, they started online.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The answer to the question is yes.

The paid articles are listed in the BN website with a football with a star inside. There are still some free articles that don’t have this mark that you can click. For example Luke Hammil’s today. These are hard to find or not linked to TBD.

You’d be better off just going to the BN website to browse their articles directly.

Some of the BN Blitz articles are free. Most aren't. TBN doesn't seem to do anything to denote which are which. The only way to find out is to click every link. If TBN is going to offer some articles outside of the paywall, they should have some sort of indicator. can't blame the guy for getting frustrated with that.

1 minute ago, vincec said:

The paid articles are listed in the BN website with a football with a star inside. There are still some free articles that don’t have this mark that you can click. For example Luke Hammil’s today. These are hard to find or not linked to TBD.

You’d be better off just going to the BN website to browse their articles directly.

Just saw this, apparently I am an idiot. I also have a TBN subscription so maybe I just didn't notice the extra little logo since anything I click works

Just now, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

That's why SDS puts the "lock" symbol next to paywall articles on the front page.

The stupidity of people never seems to amaze me.

I only visit the boards ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Silly man, it's all free if the clerk isn't looking!

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

We’ve had some ridiculous dudes with this stuff before but I don’t get beating up a guy for wanting to know whether or not an article is free before clicking. Seems an incredibly fair question and he doesn’t seem to be an entitled jerk about it

I’m with you. Some of the BN Bills articles are free. It’s a fair question to ask if those that are can be tagged as such.

Of all the carping about the BN subscription model in recent months, I didn’t take OP’s meaning to be yet more whining for free content. 

28 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

That's why SDS puts the "lock" symbol next to paywall articles on the front page.

You do realize the phrase is “ceases to amaze,” right?

I love the smell of a malapropism insulting one’s intelligence in the morning. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

or maybe they just failed to notice sed lock symbol and just needed someone to kindly point that out to them.

Why the name calling ?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

If there are other stores around that offer similar products that you do NOT have to pay for..just deal with a few ads to see while you walk around.....then I'll 'shop' there.

There is enough Bills news out there from other sources to not need to pay for it from the BN.

A few times I saw some headlines on their page that I wanted to click on...found out it was behind the paywall, and just moved on to other sites/forums and got most of the same news.

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

He probably expects that because the BN has offered articles for free online since, well, they started online.

Which was a blunder. Newspapers thought they’d drive subscriptions by providing some content online. 

They should shut down their websites and make people buy the hard copy. :ph34r:

Edited by Nanker
Autocorrect did it

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I guess I should start by asking.  Does the Buffalo News offer any Bills related articles to non subs?  I believe the answer is yes, but I’m not positive because I don’t even try and find out.  Every time I’ve clicked on a BN link it says sub only.  I was wondering if it was possible to list the Buffalo New articles that are open to everyone on the top of the website or somehow mark them as non sub access.  

If not, anyone have link to the BN free article hub?  I’d hate to continue to miss out on ALL on the Bills content produced by Buffalos own publication.  Kinda sad

Here's the link to all of the articles. When the editor posted this link a couple months back there was a designation for free articles (a red football maybe?) but it seems to have disappeared.  I went article by article on page one and there are 2 available without subscription.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Hi, not SDS obviously, but when I'm on TBD News, the free articles are marked with a red arrow to the left of the title, and those behind a paywall have a padlock.  The red article is how free articles are marked as "non sub access", per your request for info above.

Also not what you're asking but if you feel you are missing out on TBN, why not subscribe?  The problem for print media is that when more and more readers go online, their revenues drop and they can't stay in business.  I understand there's a free trial so you can decide if it's worth it after you see what you're missing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

or maybe they just failed to notice sed lock symbol and just needed someone to kindly point that out to them.

Why the name calling ?

........the pigeon stained red carpet has been rolled out today by the famed TBD Welcoming Committee......sand in thy jockey shorts can be painful...Jesus....

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I knew Jerry had an account here!   Sorry, but I won’t contribute to your salary. Jerry.  I understand that you’re worried about your job.  You should be.  

Can you PLEASE read what I wrote in the OP and explain how this reply makes ANY sense whatsoever.  I’ll be waiting to hear this one.  

BTW:  I’ve been receiving content which costs money to produce for free for 20+ years.  I will continue for the foreseeable future. So will you. 

5 hours ago, Fredonia Frank said:

I have a sub to buffalo news but feel there bills coverage is weak not worth paying for.  Since they lost Ty Dunne and Tim Graham as regular contributor they have no feature writers. Vic Carucci is not nearly as plugged into the Bills as he was in previous regimes as an insider. Bucky and Sully are not worth the time unless you are into angry negative narratives. The rest of what is in the sports section is information that can be gathered for free elsewhere. I would rather read Joe B or some stuff from WGR than what you find in news.

I had the Blitz for the trial period and that was my feeling.  A couple decent articles in there but not worth subscribing to imo.  I’ll subscribe in the future if it improves,  but I’d rather read other publications and read the free BN content until it improves, 

3 hours ago, vincec said:

TYVM!

3 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Nice of you to point this out for me.  I didn’t realize.  Sorry for being so stupid.  Thank you for being so kind. 

I should delete this OP before people start start busting out the AK’s.  

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Here's the link to all of the articles. When the editor posted this link a couple months back there was a designation for free articles (a red football maybe?) but it seems to have disappeared.  I went article by article on page one and there are 2 available without subscription.

Thank you so much.  That’s the bookmark I was looking for.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hi, not SDS obviously, but when I'm on TBD News, the free articles are marked with a red arrow to the left of the title, and those behind a paywall have a padlock.  The red article is how free articles are marked as "non sub access", per your request for info above.

Also not what you're asking but if you feel you are missing out on TBN, why not subscribe?  The problem for print media is that when more and more readers go online, their revenues drop and they can't stay in business.  I understand there's a free trial so you can decide if it's worth it after you see what you're missing.

I dont subscribe because I wasn’t very impressed with the free blitz trial and I don’t approve of/enjoy reading a couple of the the writers. 

I get why they charge, I just don’t think the product is worth it. Jmo

13 minutes ago, Schmuggs said:

Very sensitive topic here. Watch out op. 

Saying anything negative about the buff News results in petty insults from the sheep then usually followed by a perma ban. 

Twobillsdrive = the buff News. 

Yeah, just woke up and read the anger.  Sorry to those I upset.  Sorry to SDS.  My question has been so kindly answered. 

who pays for a bn subscription? they're garbage and you can find much better sources out there. this day and age you can find anything with a few clicks. bn can drop off the face of the earth and I wouldn't miss them. maybe those who promote them get a small piece of the $pie$ but they certainly wont be getting rich off it.

5 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Not as stupid as a chump who makes  "Hot For Teacher" threads. :D

8 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

It would be fun to be you! You must be just astonished, amazed, and enthralled every time you look in the mirror!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Guarantee: The newspapers that are now going strictly subscription-only will either change back to at least a limited number of free per whatever time-frame or go out of business. Follow-up Guarantee: The quality of feature articles and in-depth reporting will continue to decline.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that the product at the BN has been lacking for a long long time. The issue isn’t “other models” for getting the news. It’s that the content provided is relatively low level in the grand scheme of things. 

The BN has been struggling with subscribers since before the challenges of the internet. This isn’t new. They can figure out how to be a relevant/worthwhile news source in 2018 with quality and easily accessible content. Or they can be on the wrong side of history. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/21/2018 at 9:17 AM, transient said:

You do realize the phrase is “ceases to amaze,” right?

I love the smell of a malapropism insulting one’s intelligence in the morning. 

well, for all intensives purposes...