KC vs Chargers

Hebert19

I think it is the other way around.  They have identical records right now.  Buffalo has played both teams - beat KC and lost to the Chargers.  If the Chargers go on to win the division, that leaves KC to compete with the Bills for a wild card spot, and the first tie breaker is head to head.  Buffalo wins it.  They lose the same tie breaker if they are going up against the Chargers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I think it is the other way around.  They have identical records right now.  Buffalo has played both teams - beat KC and lost to the Chargers.  If the Chargers go on to win the division, that leaves KC to compete with the Bills for a wild card spot, and the first tie breaker is head to head.  Buffalo wins it.  They lose the same tie breaker if they are going up against the Chargers.

BUT, if more than two teams have the same record  (which is very possible in the AFC this year), head-to-head goes out the window.

You can see in the other threads it's complicated by the other teams. If three teams end 9-7 KC has the upper hand with tiebreakers but there are other scenarios where LAC and Baltimore win out and Tennessee loses out and we beat KC in the head to head.

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Ok...so most articles say we should be cheering for San Diego this weekend but I'm pretty sure we want KC to win if we believe we are going to lose to the pats.  Correct?

At 9-7 we want us, KC and Chargers tied and us and KC get it. 

Correct?

So we beat Miami twice already?

It seems to me that the only thing the outcome of the KC-LAC game determines is who we root for the the SF-Ten game. 

If KC wins, we will need a 3 way tie,  so root for Ten vs SF because its less likely they will win vs Rams and they must lose to Jags.

If SD wins, we need a 2 team tie, so root for SF as we will need Tenn to lose out.

this is all assuming Balt gets the first WC and of course Bills going 2-1

43 minutes ago, Hellcamino said:

It seems to me that the only thing the outcome of the KC-LAC game determines is who we root for the the SF-Ten game. 

If KC wins, we will need a 3 way tie,  so root for Ten vs SF because its less likely they will win vs Rams and they must lose to Jags.

If SD wins, we need a 2 team tie, so root for SF as we will need Tenn to lose out.

this is all assuming Balt gets the first WC and of course Bills going 2-1

This is pretty close to correct I think. Basically, there's not many scenarios where the Bills beat the Ravens in a tiebreaker, short of the Ravens and Bills tied at 9-7 with the Ravens 7th loss coming to the Bengals, and the Bills 2 wins coming against Miami, which would mean conference and common games record is equal, and would move the tiebreaker down into strength of victory, and even that is no guarantee.

If the Bills, Ravens and Chargers are all tied at 9-7, the Chargers will have a 6-6 conference record, which would eliminate them, as the Bills and Ravens would be at 7-5.

As far as TEN/SF goes, I think you want SF to win no matter what. The easiest way to look at all these scenarios is by eliminating the Titans from the picture all together. It's not crazy to see them losing to the Rams and Jaguars. It's tougher to say that about the 49ers, but at the same time, they ha e looked better with Garoppolo under center and the Titans have looked pretty awful...

I usually love looking at what teams to root for this time of year and than having a higher level of interest in those games (outside of Draft Kings). However, the playoff picture in the AFC is so muddied and complex this year, that there are too many what if's to even focus on who to root for right now. A three way tie for the last WC spot makes things a lot more complex, and until the games are actually played, there are far too many scenarios to determine who we want to win this game. You can see this right now as we would get the WC over the Chargers due to the three way tie with Baltimore. However, if it was a tie only between us and the Chargers, they would get the spot.

Assuming we win our games, we won't truly know who to root for until week 17. Of course, this is in games such as KC vs. LAC. By all means, root for Cleveland to beat Baltimore, SF to be Tennessee, Dallas to beat Oakland and Houston to beat Jacksonville. I recognize that we may want either Jacksonville or Tennessee to just win and take the AFC South title, but right now, if there is a team that is close to a WC playing a team that isn't (in the AFC), I'm rooting for the team that's not close to us.

Technically, we can still be the two seed behind Pittsburgh, with Jacksonville and Tennessee both getting in at 9-7, and KC and NE rounding out the AFC bracket. So, nothing is set yet. Let's enjoy the meaningful Bills games this late in the season!

I believe the logic behind rooting for the Chiefs today is that there is likely to be more than a 2-way tie at 9-7 so head-to-head tiebreakers are not as important.

Of course, if you're looking at it from a "plan for the future" standpoint you want the Chiefs to keep losing.

3 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Not sure why anyone would actually be rooting for this scenario.

So the Bills can get better draft picks and we don’t have to watch these bums wear the uniform anymore ?

5C016718-A429-4C0E-B9AD-C71302DAC5B0.jpeg

Edited by Air it out Fitzy

Just now, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Best chance we've had at the playoffs in years...but, yeah, let's root for draft picks who may or may not even end up starting for this team.

Such a great chance.     Starting a qb who passed for 130 yards in the last 2 starts vs meh defenses vs a team that was 2-0 vs us last year and the pats. 

What number would you put on this “best” chance ?  8 percent ? ??‍♂️?

Actually, I believe with 3 wins our chances are something like 86%. Let's play the games before we mark them down as losses.

3 minutes ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

Such a great chance.     Starting a qb who passed for 130 yards in the last 2 starts vs meh defenses vs a team that was 2-0 vs us last year and the pats. 

What number would you put on this “best” chance ?  8 percent ? ??‍♂️?

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

4 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I'm not rooting for either team. KC wins then we need Titans to lose twice. LA wins and need Titans to lose three times. Looking at their schedule either could happen.

good point — a tie would probably be ideal, wouldn’t it?

19 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Actually, I believe with 3 wins our chances are something like 86%. Let's play the games before we mark them down as losses.

Sweeping a team that swept us and beating the goat qb in foxboro without an offense ? 

Good luck.   I just don’t see it.  

8 hours ago, JM57 said:

This is pretty close to correct I think. Basically, there's not many scenarios where the Bills beat the Ravens in a tiebreaker, short of the Ravens and Bills tied at 9-7 with the Ravens 7th loss coming to the Bengals, and the Bills 2 wins coming against Miami, which would mean conference and common games record is equal, and would move the tiebreaker down into strength of victory, and even that is no guarantee.

If the Bills, Ravens and Chargers are all tied at 9-7, the Chargers will have a 6-6 conference record, which would eliminate them, as the Bills and Ravens would be at 7-5.

As far as TEN/SF goes, I think you want SF to win no matter what. The easiest way to look at all these scenarios is by eliminating the Titans from the picture all together. It's not crazy to see them losing to the Rams and Jaguars. It's tougher to say that about the 49ers, but at the same time, they ha e looked better with Garoppolo under center and the Titans have looked pretty awful...

A Raven loss to the Colts or the Bengals will get us in at 9-7 (2 wins against Miami).

I thought we would want the Chargers to win, but according to the ESPN playoff machine, we want the Chiefs to win today. If most games play out like they should we get in (assuming we win 2 of our last 3). We would also need the Titans to lose 2 of 3. If Baltimore loses against Colts or Bengals we would slide to 5th seed. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

A Raven loss to the Colts or the Bengals will get us in at 9-7 (2 wins against Miami).

I feel like the Colts have a roughly 0% chance of beating the Ravens, so I'm counting more on it being the Bengals.

5 hours ago, /dev/null said:

focus on winning the next three games.

worry about the rest of the AFC after taking care of our own business

That is what the players should do. Doesn't mean much for fans though, and this game is being played before the Bills game. As fans, games are more compelling when one has a rooting interest. Otherwise, why watch? Just check the scoreboard and NFL.com at 4pm on New Year's Eve . 

Not sure who to root for but I think the Chargers will win and win the division. Chiefs losing also helps draft obviously and I think if the Bills can somehow win 2 of 3 the Titans and Ravens will be the teams vying for wild card spots. Who knows? Gotta win Sunday first.

Looking at the schedule there might be 4 teams at 9-7 fighting for 2 spots. Just hoping the Bills can win a couple and get in the mix.