McD failed too many times

The juice

5 hours ago, Rigotz said:

You realize that his defense held Tom Brady to 9 points in the first half... right?

You also realize that our defense has like zero good players on it....right?

He's a rookie head coach. Rookies make mistakes.

By all accounts he has done great things for the team culture and defense in less than one season.

I feel very good about the defense, but it’s going to take another offseason to make it truly playoff caliber. People don’t realize what McDermott inherited. We lost our entire secondary and in one offseason he rebuilt it. Poyer, Hyde, White, Gaines, and Johnson are a good foundation and it’s remarkable how well they’re playing as a unit in year one. Our front 7 needs to be rebuilt too. Hughes is the only definite starter next year, and you can throw in Milano too who is looking like an excellent 5th round pick. You can say the regime created their own problem by trading Dareus but that was necessary for the culture change and I believe they will fix that spot in free agency. Next season I expect a renaissance in our front 7 the same way our secondary had one this season.

Offense I am more concerned about, but it’s looking more and more like Dennison was just a one-year place holder and they’ll be drafting a QB early next year. So that whole unit will be revamped too. Dawkins and Jones are developing pretty nicely.

I didn’t have any expectations this year, it’s just too bad the early 5-2 start got my hopes up again. Being rational about it we have a great place to build from, now they just have to hit on a couple draft picks and make one big move in free agency (Star Lotulelei?) and we’ll be in playoff shape.

5 hours ago, The juice said:

Too many times this year with blunders in and out of game. Yesterday, the terrible challenge when Brady’s knee hit with NO ONE touching him. Disgusting 

Well if you think we're gonna find a coach that doesn't make a questionable challenge I got some ocean front property for you 

5 hours ago, The juice said:

Too many times this year with blunders in and out of game. Yesterday, the terrible challenge when Brady’s knee hit with NO ONE touching him. Disgusting 

Let me guess, you think he should be fired

4 hours ago, Jobot said:

Disgree.  I love the fact that he's never content.  I think you stick with a guy that works as hard as he does so long as we keep seeing improvements.

I honestly expected 40pts from the PATs.  24 pts from a team who's offense was so pitiful is a huge improvement compared the Jets/Sains/Chargers performances.

....sure he's been in the league BUT he's a rook HC.......NOT to expect mistakes is purely asinine (except in the hallowed halls of TBD)........hell look at the mistakes made by seasoned HC's......he'll need to get more acclimated to the big picture necessary for a HC......how many coordinators fail as HC's and end up right back in coordinator positions.......you're in charge on the ENTIRE sideline and not just you path (as in OC or DC) to get here.....what bugs me (at least on the surface) is that he seems to let Dennison and Frazier do their "thing" unimpeded....too many stretches of where things have gone sour (ie. 3 straight L's) where he needed to step in and call them to task......Castillo is a PRIME example....think Iacocca said, "lead, follow or get the hell outta the way"......he needs to lead.....

4 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Yeah that one had me scratching my head as well.  Even if his intention was just to give Peterman a couple more plays practice, it was the wrong move.

This off season McCoach needs to get an analytics person to either teach him clock management and give him a cheat sheet he can go to during games, or have that analyst on a headset to help him do the smart thing and prevent him from doing the dumb thing during those situations.  

What baffles me is how bad coaches are with time management. Shouldn't it be pretty simple?

Like I have better clock management playing Madden and I have never coached a Football game in my life.

Maybe they just have so much on their plate, they don't think clearly on gameday. I just don't get it because it really should not be complicated at all

25 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

What baffles me is how bad coaches are with time management. Shouldn't it be pretty simple?

Like I have better clock management playing Madden and I have never coached a Football game in my life.

Maybe they just have so much on their plate, they don't think clearly on gameday. I just don't get it because it really should not be complicated at all

I think you hit on it.  They have a lot to worry about in the heat of the moment and it's easy to make that mistake. That's why I like the idea of having someone on a headset to let him know what to do.

• Like (+1) 1

this is the way I look at it. I can not pass full judgement based off 12 games. blunders, mistakes, bad judgement comes with the learning process. hell, it started that way from infancy. you had to crawl before you could walk and fell many times picking up a bruise or two, then got back up.

a learning process. 

this guys feet are still wet, he's taking his bruises. 

you want to chastise him for his failures that's your right to do so and even warranted yet final judgement or any talks of firing is way too premature in my opinion.

this coming draft, the off season and the 2018 season one should be able to gain more leverage in judgement and at this point I can only say I hope he learns and develops in to a fine HC and the team looks to becoming a contender? 

I couldn't base it off this season, haven't seen enough yet. that and I realize this is a rebuild with a rookie HC to boot so it would be foolish of me to pass judgement at this juncture.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The juice said:

I didnt like the challenge either but I believe he was looking for a grounding call. You win some you lose some, gotta take chances especially when the Pats* pull their hustle to line bs. 

7 hours ago, Jobot said:

I felt the same way at first, but he clearly was upset that they gave no explanation to why intentional grounding was not called.

I didn’t realize it was still customary to explain that Brady and the Pats* have a different set of rules.

7 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

This is complete and utter nonsense. That challenge was to hopefully get the refs to see the clear and ditinct intentional grounding. 

Ugh, let's hope that wasn't his idea, b/c no aspect of intentional grounding is reviewable.

After the referee ruled about not being down by contact, McD seemed surprised, and gestured the "intentional grounding" gesture as if to say "That's not what I wanted to review!"

Of course, the grounding can't be revised and McD comes across, again, as some type of glorified gym teacher idiot.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Chargers benching, giving the okay on the 4th and 1 fade to Zay (!!!).

I don’t think either of those are big deals.

And the fade to Zay was probably not even a McDermott call.

Nor was the Tyrod throw directly to the defender drive killing momentum deflating interception on the opening drive.

11 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

So I suppose this is yet another call for a coaching change .... Please no, we don’t need to be Cleveland.  The D looked solid for the first half.  The Offense is a different story.  McDerrmott and Bean have at least one more season to get a draft in and move on from Tyrod Taylor.  Who knows maybe Peterman is the answer.  I’m guessing he will get the remainder of the season as an audition.

McD will be fine.  He'll send Dennison packing. Tyrod will be gone. Keep developing Peterman and draft a qb early. His next OC will be critical for his future. 

12 hours ago, fridge said:

My favorite blunder was the timeout he took with 2:04 after 3rd down.  The game was over so it didn't matter, but it was so wrong that it has me concerned.

I liked the timeout to kick a fg with like 12 secs left in the half a couple weeks ago

hes had a few real head scratchers 

12 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I'm not buying it.  I think he;s an excellent coach, the guys commit far less penalties, and the defense has played most of the year like they understand the scheme.  I can't believe people are trying to run the guy out already.  nonsense...

I agree with this! 

In the past, I have vehemently condemned Jauron ( for his firing his OC two weeks before the season started, cutting his starting RT at the same point because he couldn't get to the line quickly enough as the team was running the no-huddle offense!  Which they scrapped after two regular season games. BTW, that starting tackle went back to his old team and played the entire season.)

I Condemned Chan Gailey for selecting his "waterbug" RB with the first pick after the team had traded away their all-pro LT the year previous and was in desperate need at LT. This same man defended Trent Edwards all preseason as his starter only to cut him after two regular season games. He then went to Ryan Fitzpatrick who did his best Mike Vick impression by running for his life for the first six games as the team started the 2010 season 0-8.

Doug Marrone allowed his rookie first-round draft pick at QB to go into his first season with no QB coach or veteran QB on the roster and was supposed to learn the NFL ropes from an OC who had never been an NFL OC in his career. For an ex NFL line coach who was out on the field showing the O line players how to do their jobs, Marrone had a mess of an offensive line in his two seasons in Buffalo. Erik Pears at RG...really?

Rex Ryan was a bad/wrong hire as his last winning record as an HC was four years previous. He blamed all the losing on his QB and GM, who was drafting mostly defensive players at his request. This bozo went on to take one of the premier four-man fronts in the NFL and switch them to a 3-4 while asking his all-pro pass rushing D linemen to drop into pass coverage. 

These are just a brief synopsis of each HCs stupidity as I could easily go into greater detail of the morons who have been head coaches in Buffalo before McD. 

This is by far the best head coach the Bills have had since Wade Phillips and he has had to deal with what his predecessors left him. He now knows he needs a franchise QB and that Taylor isn't the answer. The really great thing is the Bills have an extra #1, #2 and #3 pick in the 2018 NFL draft and I can see the team trading away Glenn, Taylor for more picks. 

Give the man a chance to build the team in his vision going forward. 

12 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

This is complete and utter nonsense. That challenge was to hopefully get the refs to see the clear and ditinct intentional grounding. 

That's not even review-able so if that was what our Coach was hoping for we are in even worst shape.  

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He has a team that is lacking talent in some areas in the playoff picture.  He has the team playing hard for him. 

The Jets are a team playing hard for their coach. They are one game back of us and are a team that is supposed to be lacking in talent even more than us. We've been blown out in four of our last five games. Jets have been blown out in one game all year.

Yawn

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That's not even review-able so if that was what our Coach was hoping for we are in even worst shape.  

The Jets are a team playing hard for their coach. They are one game back of us and are a team that is supposed to be lacking in talent even more than us. We've been blown out in four of our last five games. Jets have been blown out in one game all year.

Quarterback..they are getting good quarterback play. Makes a big difference.

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Jets are a better team than we are.

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I liked the timeout to kick a fg with like 12 secs left in the half a couple weeks ago

hes had a few real head scratchers 

I forgot about that one.  This is all foreshadowing to the inevitable clock blunder he's going to make in a crucial game.

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

This is by far the best head coach the Bills have had since Wade Phillips and he has had to deal with what his predecessors left him. He now knows he needs a franchise QB and that Taylor isn't the answer. The really great thing is the Bills have an extra #1, #2 and #3 pick in the 2018 NFL draft and I can see the team trading away Glenn, Taylor for more picks. 

Give the man a chance to build the team in his vision going forward. 

McDermott's game management is a serious concern.

I think McD is good from Monday to Saturday. Sunday? He has a lot of improvement to make if he's the man capable of bringing our Buffalo Bills back from the dead.

First time, first year HC.  Considering where we thought the team would be, where there are is much better.  McD has had a few head scratching moments, but he seems like a stand up guy who knows football.  I am more than happy to give him his contract and see what he and Beane can do.  I like "the process" so far, if not the results on the field.  I am excited to see what he will do with next year and this year is far from over.  Granted lose to the Colt or the Fish and its over, but right now, dream the dream.

22 hours ago, The juice said:

McCoach was trying to get a flag for intentional grounding. Since you cannot challenge no-call penalties (or even called penalties), he had to challenge something. Everything is on the table when there's a challenge to a play, including whether or not a penalty should be assessed.

That isn't the call to complain about being terrible.

This is why I think talk of McBeane not reaching for their QB this year is nuts. These guys know without a real QB they won't last a full 3 years. Drafting a "franchise savior" will buy them time to prove if they can get it done or not. I like McD a lot but not enough to blindly say he will be our guy long term. Not sure yet.

16 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

this is the way I look at it. I can not pass full judgement based off 12 games. blunders, mistakes, bad judgement comes with the learning process. hell, it started that way from infancy. you had to crawl before you could walk and fell many times picking up a bruise or two, then got back up.

a learning process. 

this guys feet are still wet, he's taking his bruises. 

you want to chastise him for his failures that's your right to do so and even warranted yet final judgement or any talks of firing is way too premature in my opinion.

this coming draft, the off season and the 2018 season one should be able to gain more leverage in judgement and at this point I can only say I hope he learns and develops in to a fine HC and the team looks to becoming a contender? 

I couldn't base it off this season, haven't seen enough yet. that and I realize this is a rebuild with a rookie HC to boot so it would be foolish of me to pass judgement at this juncture.

good post.  this is where i'm at with it too.

1 hour ago, DCBongo said:

First time, first year HC.  Considering where we thought the team would be, where there are is much better.  McD has had a few head scratching moments, but he seems like a stand up guy who knows football.  I am more than happy to give him his contract and see what he and Beane can do.  I like "the process" so far, if not the results on the field.  I am excited to see what he will do with next year and this year is far from over.  Granted lose to the Colt or the Fish and its over, but right now, dream the dream.

I thought we would be in the playoffs just based on having better coaching than the Ryans. Our defense is still subpar, offense got much worse. Special teams did improve. The big concern I have is that there will a huge turnover again this off season and we will need to hit on most of the draft picks and whatever FA's we convince to come here. They seem to want their own players along with no big contracts. They are doing this breakdown over 2 seasons when it should be done right away. Just drags the process out longer.

Edited by klos63

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

McCoach was trying to get a flag for intentional grounding. Since you cannot challenge no-call penalties (or even called penalties), he had to challenge something. Everything is on the table when there's a challenge to a play, including whether or not a penalty should be assessed.

That isn't the call to complain about being terrible.

Why did he have to challenge something?

He made a similar strange explanation after the game. He knows that you only get two challenges, I hope, right? Those challenges aren't free where you can just throw out the red flag willy nilly all game long.

"Yeah I just thought situationally I didn't...you know, you look at it and you say 'hey, I thought he dumped the ball a little bit there. And obviously, you know, the knee was down. And I thought situationally it was a - you know, I didn't see too much of a downside of doing it because we're already in that part of the game there in terms of the situation. So...I just wanted them to take a little bit longer to take a look at the entire, entire situation more than anything."

On the thought that he was trying to argue intentional grounding: "Nah, I mean again it's looking at the big picture. Sometimes - and again we talked about it on the field - those things move so fast for the guys out there. I wanted them to take a little longer to look at it. Any time you can get a quarterback like that behind the sticks it usually works to your advantage. And obviously we ended up forcing a punt there, so..."

Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

I didnt like the challenge either but I believe he was looking for a grounding call. You win some you lose some, gotta take chances especially when the Pats* pull their hustle to line bs. 

Why is hustling to the line b.s? That's smart coaching/QB play. I wish the Bills were smart enough to do that when there is a questionable call

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You are easily impressed huh?

I don't understand the question in it's current context, but if you're asking me that this team full of gutless talent is at .500 and I am impressed that McD has gotten that much juice from a turd, then yes.  But I thought I made that clear.  Were you trying to be clever on the internet?  

• Like (+1) 1