Anyone know what Hughes said?

tbonehawaii

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Pats recently took a player, Lee, off of our practice squad.  He was inserted into their starting lineup on defense. In the game against us he was one of the better defensive players in the game. Organizations that are smart and enterprising create their own depth. Competence always wins out over incompetence. 

That was a good call on their part.  It may be a case where their scheme was a better fit for Eric Lee's strengths...a least I hope this is the case.

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You don't think that the moronic drunken fans shouting out obscenities didn't deserve to be responded to by a player who had a stellar game? 

No doubt there were obscenities shouted at Gronk.  I'm sure Brady got the same treatment.  But when you did something as egregious as Gronk did, you don't walk into the tunnel sticking out your tongue at the fans (moronic, drunken, or not).  Just keep walking.  I hope this is further evidence of his being non-contrite and it comes back to bite him.

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You didn't carefully read and understand what I said. Gronk acknowledged that how he reacted in the White play was wrong. Gronk was constantly being held and mugged in the game. On that particular play where he jumped on White he lost control. And he owned up to it when interviewed in the locker room. 

I read and understood it just fine. He owned up to nothing. He was completely unaccountable for it and showed no remorse via his actions and words. To think he was truly sorry and was not trying to just (very sloppily) cover his ass in that fake apology is very gullible and an attempt to spin a purely disgusting act of a human being, imo. I’m glad he is a “winner” in the football department because in my book, he couldn’t be more of a loser as a person right now. 

The fact that he complained about the refs frustrating him to try and excuse his inexcusable actions shows his extreme lack of “self-awareness”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Cut him? Seriously? Yes...let's continue to cut talented players because of things like "attitude" and "character" while signing crappy guys with high-character to replace them. That's proven successful with this team so far!

Agreed!! Cut him?? Seriously?? The biggest reason i cant wait for this streak to be broken is so absurd stuff like this can be given a rest.... at least he cared enough to say something. Good for him. He prob said what we were all thinking... #truth

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Did you just use Gronk and “self awareness” and “control” in the same paragraph? Are you comparing what Gronk did to what Hughes did? I’m sorry... Never had an issue before with your well thought out posts even though I didn’t always agree but I just can’t with this. 

You stated it perfectly above. the fact that he half-hearted apologized and then went on to rationalize the hit because of bad officiating, and is getting credit for that, is beyond troubling to me.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

In the beginning of the year Gilmore was having problems adjusting to the Pats scheme and was not playing well. He was benched. The Pats hold their players accountable. That's one of the main reasons why they are champs. 

Hughes is notorious for repeatedly losing his cool and getting penalties. If he played for the Pats it wouldn't happen because he would be either benched or dispatched from the roster. 

Gilmore was not benched, not even close, he was injured. 

And no one questions that the Pats are better top to the bottom than the Bills, and almost every other organization in the league. But to say that someone justifies what Gronk did is beyond logic. They could be 38-0 overt he next two years, Gronk's play was extremely undisciplined and i am sure in no league suspension you will not see Gronk sitting next game. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

You stated it perfectly above. the fact that he half-hearted apologized and then went on to rationalize the hit because of bad officiating, and is getting credit for that, is beyond troubling to me.

And no one questions that the Pats are better top to the bottom than the Bills, and almost every other organization in the league. But to say that someone justifies what Gronk did is beyond logic. They could be 38-0 overt he next two years, Gronk's play was extremely undisciplined and i am sure in no league suspension you will not see Gronk sitting next game. 

Gronk walked back to the huddle with a smile on his face. That says more than any phony attempt at trying to get out of a suspension, which is all his little locker room whine-fest disguised as an apology was anyway. 

It doesn't bother me that Hughes spoke up and got a penalty. What bothers me is the officials decided that him getting mouthy with an official was a more egregious offense than what Gronkowski did. Yeah, that really shows how much the league cares about player safety. White takes a cheapshot, probably gonna have a concussion to deal with, but that's less important than an official getting his widdle feewings hurt. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hughes was 10 yards away from the official. Players b**#ch at officials and use foul language while doing it virtually every game.  The refs have a vendetta against Hughes, and I thought it was a TERRIBLE look for the officials, who had just witnessed an act that would have led to felony charges everywhere outside if an NFL field or MMA ring.  Disgusting that they flagged him. 

Edited by dave mcbride

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

For yelling at the refs after they allowed gronk to concuss our best player?  Hughes should’ve bodyslammed gronk.  I really wish someone would’ve put a hurting on gronk.  We can’t let them come into our house and drop elbows on us.  Can’t happen

I've read this a lot on here.  But I wonder how many of the players actually knew what happened?  I didn't see it on the original play, only after watching replays of it on TV.  I'm thinking a lot of them knew something happened, but how many knew that Gronk had thrown himself on the Tredavian Nightmare after the play.  I thought he just got the wind knocked out of him at first.

Anyway, just wondering if players really knew exactly what happened like those of us watching replays on TV did.  From field level you don't get the same view as on replays on TV.

There is that other reddit view that shows it’s even worse that the original tv replay angle.  

You actually see gronk stutter stepping to line up his elbow drop right on 3ds head and neck.

that was as deliberate an attempt to inflict injury as I’ve seen in a while...

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I just assumed he dropped the N-word. Not allowed on the field anymore. He really was not all that close to ref, and wasn't around terribly long. And I don't think something like "kick him the eff out for that **** !@#$" is enough for 15 yards. 

22 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I've read this a lot on here.  But I wonder how many of the players actually knew what happened?  I didn't see it on the original play, only after watching replays of it on TV.  I'm thinking a lot of them knew something happened, but how many knew that Gronk had thrown himself on the Tredavian Nightmare after the play.  I thought he just got the wind knocked out of him at first.

Anyway, just wondering if players really knew exactly what happened like those of us watching replays on TV did.  From field level you don't get the same view as on replays on TV.

True.  It was off to the side and many guys may not have been able to see.  I too, thought he got the wind knocked out of him.  Still can’t believe what transpired and how the referees handled it. It’s really unbelievable 

12 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Don't know but even though it didn't affect the result of the game, enough is enough with Hughes.  I'd have told him to go to the locker room after that and cut his butt after the game.  Hopefully they dump him in the offseason.

they'll dump everyone that has a sizeable contract, regardless of on field issues.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t blame Hughes at all, sorry. I would applaud him for telling off the ref who chose not to eject the Neanderthal after that BS.

Im not convinced that was what he was yelling about to the refs.  Seemed like he was yelling him about something else.  

Either way, I am not sold that Hughes will be here next year.  His performance hasn't been there to offset all the head case stuff based on what he makes.  And given this regimes love affair with getting rid of players, especially ones who have sizable contracts or will command one, for draft picks to get "their" guys, I would think Hughes is gonna be a guy that will be at the very least in discussion of moving this offseason.

To be clear, I am not advocating it per se, just stating that I haven't really seen him stand out enough for the right reasons to feel like he will be safe this offseason.  Personally I find it frustrating that we keep getting rid of talented players like Sammy and Dareus, especially when we practically give them away for free like Dareus where the compensation back is so bad that its actually going to likely cost us not only Dareus, but a good draft pick we will need to use to find someone to TRY and help replace him.  

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

No one is justifying the way Gronk responded after White intercepted the ball.  He even said his response was irresponsible, and he apologized for it. What more do you want? Gronk does not have a history of reckless play. In fact, he is usually the player who is frequently abused on the field. I'm sure the league will get involved and fine him. Does he warrant a suspension? I don't believe so because he doesn't have a history of reckless play. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I read and understood it just fine. He owned up to nothing. He was completely unaccountable for it and showed no remorse via his actions and words. To think he was truly sorry and was not trying to just (very sloppily) cover his ass in that fake apology is very gullible and an attempt to spin a purely disgusting act of a human being, imo. I’m glad he is a “winner” in the football department because in my book, he couldn’t be more of a loser as a person right now. 

The fact that he complained about the refs frustrating him to try and excuse his inexcusable actions shows his extreme lack of “self-awareness”

We are just going to disagree on this issue. As I said in a response to Plezmid Gronk does not have a history of dangerous play. The TE lost control of his emotions and then recklessly responded. He acknowledge and apologized for his actions. Was it sincere? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt where you don't. So be it. 

13 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Don't know but even though it didn't affect the result of the game, enough is enough with Hughes.  I'd have told him to go to the locker room after that and cut his butt after the game.  Hopefully they dump him in the offseason.

I mean, I don't totally disagree with you, but who you going to get to replace him? We have more high end draft picks than we've ever had, but we still have a lot of position needs that aren't DE (OL, DT, WR, RB, QB, LB, just to name a few) 

Edited by ctk232

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No one is justifying the way Gronk responded after White intercepted the ball.  He even said his response was irresponsible, and he apologized for it. What more do you want? Gronk does not have a history of reckless play. In fact, he is usually the player who is frequently abused on the field. I'm sure the league will get involved and fine him. Does he warrant a suspension? I don't believe so because he doesn't have a history of reckless play. 

We are just going to disagree on this issue. As I said in a response to Plezmid Gronk does not have a history of dangerous play. The TE lost control of his emotions and then recklessly responded. He acknowledge and apologized for his actions. Was it sincere? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt where you don't. So be it. 

You mean like Super Bowl 49 where he picked a fight after the game was in hand?  If that type of play doesn't warrant a suspension could you let me know what WOULD in your mind?  I'm not a jump to suspend guy but that play was egregious and WAY outside of the rules of football.  He literally lines himself up to hit a defenseless player in the back of the head!

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Holy Cow john, am i reading this correct? You think as long as it's your first offense, and you apologize, you get carte blanch on the field to do whatever you want? He dove at defenseless players head and pile drove him with an elbow. PLease tell what you do feel would be suspendable??? Does the players head actually need to dislodged for the body? 

As YOLO said, i usually enjoy your posts even though we rarely agree, but this one is just so far out there I find it hard to comprehend. Its almost like you are saying "the Pats are better than everyone else, they are not coached this way, let it go"

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

After reading several of your inputs on this subject I have concluded you are either related to Gronk, an old friend (he did grow up in Amherst), or a NE fan.  I cannot justify in any shape or form being that enraged to intentionally try to inflict damage to a defenseless player (person).  Not sure how you can objectively take this position.

Note: I will not respond to your rebuttal as I do NOT normally voice my opinion on this site about another member, but this one I just cannot control myself.

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Holy Cow john, am i reading this correct? You think as long as it's your first offense, and you apologize, you get carte blanch on the field to do whatever you want? He dove at defenseless players head and pile drove him with an elbow. PLease tell what you do feel would be suspendable??? Does the players head actually need to dislodged for the body? 

As YOLO said, i usually enjoy your posts even though we rarely agree, but this one is just so far out there I find it hard to comprehend. Its almost like you are saying "the Pats are better than everyone else, they are not coached this way, let it go"

No one is saying that because he doesn't have a history of dirty play that he shouldn't be held accountable. The league should certainly take a look at it. However, the history of how a player plays certainly comes into play when judging one play. Would I consider meting out harsher punishment if a player such as Burfict with an ignominious history of reckless? Absolutely yes! 

In my view this play is being over sensationalized because the home team was so pathetic on the field. It is a convenient distraction from the ugly display of the home team's performance on the field. Especially the offense it was embarrassing. The player in question acknowledge that he reacted poorly on the play. He apologized for it. Was he sincere? 

Whether it was or nor not I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt because he normally plays within the bounds. 

3 minutes ago, Heathcliff said:

After reading several of your inputs on this subject I have concluded you are either related to Gronk, an old friend (he did grow up in Amherst), or a NE fan.  I cannot justify in any shape or form being that enraged to intentionally try to inflict damage to a defenseless player (person).  Not sure how you can objectively take this position.

Note: I will not respond to your rebuttal as I do NOT normally voice my opinion on this site about another member, but this one I just cannot control myself.

I offer no rebuttal to such a childish response. 

John, you are just losing me here. I don't care what the score of the game is, and if the Bills have 2 wins or 12, or if a player has ever had a suspendable offense before, you are responsible for your actions. Somehow trying this to score of game, or people looking to draw attention away from the pathetic Bills, that's just not the case. This is plain and simple a dangerous, dangerous, headshot to a defenseless player, it is in a word EVERYTHING the NFL professes to want out of the game.

Damn, they suspended Talib/Crabtree cause they said they put some league on the sideline in danger..Tre being fave down on his stomach getting piled drove by Gronkowski is not putting league personnel in danger?  

In your own words, in New England, "players are held accountable!!!!" should Gronk not be held accountable? Truly, please answer the question others and I have asked, what would Gronk have to do in order to be suspended. 

And i don't give a rats behind whether he apologized or not, you do the crime 

Edited by plenzmd1

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

John, you are just losing me here. I don't care what the score of the game is, and if the Bills have 2 wins or 12, or if a player has ever had a suspendable offense before, you are responsible for your actions. Somehow trying this to score of game, or people looking to draw attention away from the pathetic Bills, that's just not the case. This is plain and simple a dangerous, dangerous, headshot to a defenseless player, it is in a word EVERYTHING the NFL professes to want out of the game.

Damn, they suspended Talib/Crabtree cause they said they put some league on the sideline in danger..Tre being fave down on his stomach getting piled drove by Gronkowski is not putting league personnel in danger?  

In your own words, in New England, "players are held accountable!!!!" should Gronk not be held accountable? Truly, please answer the question others and I have asked, what would Gronk have to do in order to be suspended. 

And i don't give a rats behind whether he apologized or not, you do the crime 

The league reviewed the play and reports are that he is being suspended for a game. There was no special treatment for him by the league. Did the ref use poor judgment in not throwing him out? Probably so. But bad calls get reviewed all the time post game by the league. That how the system works. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The league reviewed the play and reports are that he is being suspended for a game. There was no special treatment for him by the league. Did the ref use poor judgment in not throwing him out? Probably so. But bad calls get reviewed all the time post game by the league. That how the system works. 

To be fair, I never said he would receive special treatment. I said I expected a suspension, he deserved a suspension, and he received a suspension. 

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

To be fair, I never said he would receive special treatment. I said I expected a suspension, he deserved a suspension, and he received a suspension. 

As far as I'm concerned the level of outrage is beyond the level of transgression for a play. He lost his cool and foolishly reacted. He acknowledged it and apologized for it. As to whether he was sincere or not I don't care if he was or was not. It was probably more of a self-serving response. The play was rightly reviewed by the league and they gave out a reasonable punishment. Again, the system worked the way it is supposed to work. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

As far as I'm concerned the level of outrage is beyond the level of transgression for a play. He lost his cool and foolishly reacted. He acknowledged it and apologized for it. As to whether he was sincere or not I don't care if he was or was not. It was probably more of a self-serving response. The play was rightly reviewed by the league and they gave out a reasonable punishment. Again, the system worked the way it is supposed to work. 

He lost his cool? For what? 

that was a blatant elbow brace to the back of the head. 

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

There is that other reddit view that shows it’s even worse that the original tv replay angle.  

You actually see gronk stutter stepping to line up his elbow drop right on 3ds head and neck.

that was as deliberate an attempt to inflict injury as I’ve seen in a while...

And then he inadvertently kicked him in the head with his foot after the atomic elbow drop, just to add insult to injury.

If there is no huge revenge made on Gronk, which should be big enough to become the talk of the league, I am going to be really pissed off.  I love that we are playing them again so soon.

10 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

No comparison between what Gronk did and what Landry did. Landry deserved to be taken out.

As for Hughes IDK what he said, but he gets flagged for it, and easily in any case. Who doesn't remember his 15 yard penalty for playfully bashing his TEAMMATE. Refs are biased and that'.

s not good.

And what with the retarded rule that 2 penalties offset 1? 

You are right, what Gronk did was even worse. Landry took a vicious cheap shot at AW on the field during a play. Gronk took a vicious cheap shot on White out of bounds well after the play while he was lying face down and he purposely used a metal brace to smash the back of his head. Both of them should have experienced retaliation. Amazing to me the Bills have played Miami since then and no one blasted him.

Edited by Turk71

13 hours ago, rant_and_go_returns said:

Done with the NFL. Corrupt way for rich people to steal from America. Harlem Globetrotters have more competitive games.

The only time I will have anything to do with the NFL is if anyone associated with it needs a kidney and I'm a match. I will go through the entire process until I'm about to be knocked out with anasthesia, get up, and walk out.

Yet, here you are on a message board related to an NFL team?

13 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

No comparison between what Gronk did and what Landry did. Landry deserved to be taken out.

As for Hughes IDK what he said, but he gets flagged for it, and easily in any case. Who doesn't remember his 15 yard penalty for playfully bashing his TEAMMATE. Refs are biased and that'.

s not good.

And what with the retarded rule that 2 penalties offset 1? 

I remember a time when if a penalty against one team was for 15 yards and the penalty on another was 5 yards, they applied the 15 yarder.  Now they just cancel each other out?  Doesn't make sense.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright
Formatting

13 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I remember a time when if a penalty against one team was for 15 yards and the penalty on another was 5 yards, they applied the 15 yarder.  Now they just cancel each other out?  Doesn't make sense.

How about letting the ref do some basic maths? 15-5 = 10 yards. Is it THAT hard?

The two penalties offset by one is so stupid.