Serious questions about McD now

Its pretty scary how things turned out for Nathan Peterman in his first start but I am really concerned about what this debacle of a game exposes about McD and Beane.  A few observations/questions trying to understand today's disaster.

1.If you benched TT in reaction to a pathetic offensive performance vs The Jets and Saints then I can kind of understand the rationale to a point but TT has had some good games this season why give up on him when you are still in a playoff position? That shows a scary lack of poise and patience in a HC.

2. What scares me much more is that either McD or Beane thought Peterman was ready to start. He looked absolutely in over his head. The fact that they believed he could succeed when he was that inept is stunning. If you watch Peterman’s mechanics in that game he is basically telegraphing where he is throwing the ball to allowing the dbs time to get there. He is not sensing the blitz and overthrowing his receivers.  Totally nervous and not ready. If they actually believed he was ready they must be delusional or intensely bad judges of talent.

3. If you benched TT to light a fire under him to perform down the stretch well I guess you got his attention, but to do it when the playoffs are in sight? Really bad idea. 

4. Did they bench TT because they were afraid as Vic Carucci said that he would lead them into the playoffs and they don’t see him as part of the future?  So they would actually deny us the chance at the playoffs to further their "process" .  Then McD and Beane are truly evil and against anything this fan base holds dear.

5. If they benched TT because they wanted to distract from a horrendous defense effort then they are simply morons.

6. Why in the hell if you are putting a rookie in to start do you not work with Dennison to call the simplest game plan ever. McCoy should have been used non stop, simple passes to keep the defense honest. It seemed to me that Dennison’s game plan was a little too much for Peterman to accomplish and once they were down it put Peterman into an impossible position.

7. If you knew how bad our O line has been in the last 2 weeks with an elusive mobile QB then why the hell would you put a less mobile pocket passer in?? That was suicidal. Beyond stupid. Peterman tooks some incredible hits that led to at least 2 of his INTS. Once again this seriously questions McD’s intelligence.

The bottom line is that this game has exposed McD and Beane in multiple ways and they have egg all over their faces. Although I was skeptical, I thought McD was an upgrade on Rex’s gong show. Now I am not so sure. It seems like he could be just as much as a fraud.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There is a growth process for coaches too. 

I was concerned about McD’s learning curve this preseason. Sometimes the hardest lessons are the lessons that really sting.

All coaches have some sort of bravado about them. All leaders do. The question is, does he get rattled or does he keep on keepin on  and build for next year.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Its pretty scary how things turned out for Nathan Peterman in his first start but I am really concerned about what this debacle of a game exposes about McD and Beane.  A few observations/questions trying to understand today's disaster.

Chargers "made Peterman be a QB".:unsure:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

He definitely has egg on his face today. Oh please don't count out the Carolina Panthers game in bad offensive games. It kinda bugs me that people mention NO like it was the only bad offensive game. We scored 3 points in that game.

Yes the move to Peterman was a bad move and looks awful but I can understand why he tried it. Tyrod is the better Quarterback no doubt but he still got smacked and coughed the ball up himself today.

Edited by Lfod

Here's where my thinking is at these days..........

I'm not pissed that Peterman looked bad out there today. He's a rookie playing his first NFL career start, so he is raw. I can live with that.

What i have a problem with is that this team is steadily getting worse in the past 3 weeks........just when you think they cant possibly play any worse, they totally play even worse than the week before. That is on the coaching. I know we are limited on talent, but its the HC who is responsible to put their players in the best possible position to succeed. They aren't doing that. In fact, it looks like McD is flying by the seat of his pants and making it all up as he goes along.

There is an obvious problem and this coaching staff either doesnt know how to fix it or refuses to...........either way, we are doomed yet again for a lacklustre season.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I was concerned about McD’s learning curve this preseason. Sometimes the hardest lessons are the lessons that really sting.

All coaches have some sort of bravado about them. All leaders do. The question is, does he get rattled or does he keep on keepin on  and build for next year.

And McDermott has been an ass with every comments coming out of the game.  His statements have been embarrassing to this point.  Take responsibility.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Its pretty scary how things turned out for Nathan Peterman in his first start but I am really concerned about what this debacle of a game exposes about McD and Beane.  A few observations/questions trying to understand today's disaster. (........)

6. Why in the hell if you are putting a rookie in to start do you not work with Dennison to call the simplest game plan ever. McCoy should have been used non stop, simple passes to keep the defense honest. It seemed to me that Dennison’s game plan was a little too much for Peterman to accomplish and once they were down it put Peterman into an impossible position.

(....)

The bottom line is that this game has exposed McD and Beane in multiple ways and they have egg all over their faces. Although I was skeptical, I thought McD was an upgrade on Rex’s gong show. Now I am not so sure. It seems like he could be just as much as a fraud.

Your point #6 is, IMO, one of the most salient and under-discussed of this whole debacle.

Jacoby Brissett, in his three starts for NE, was deliberately given a simple game plan to execute.  He's not looking all-world for the Colts, but he's looking capable and showing flashes.  He's not stinking up the joint from what I've seen.  But he's still being more or less set up to succeed.

What bothers me isn't so much that Peterman sucked, it's that he wasn't set up for success in his first start against a ferocious pass rush.  The game plan wasn't tailored for him.  This bothers me just as it bothers me that IMO we haven't had play calling that focused on Taylors strength

We traded Dareus off to Jax because ?we didn't need him ?he was an attitude problem?  The performance of the D in the last 3 games has been atrocious.  

Do our coaches have good personnel judgement, or do they suffer from the delusion that they can plug anyone in and win?  Because if that's what they think, they would appear to be mistaken.  One might even say delusional.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

1.If you benched TT in reaction to a pathetic offensive performance vs The Jets and Saints then I can kind of understand the rationale to a point but TT has had some good games this season why give up on him when you are still in a playoff position? That shows a scary lack of poise and patience in a HC.

2. What scares me much more is that either McD or Beane thought Peterman was ready to start. He looked absolutely in over his head. The fact that they believed he could succeed when he was that inept is stunning. If you watch Peterman’s mechanics in that game he is basically telegraphing where he is throwing the ball to allowing the dbs time to get there. He is not sensing the blitz and overthrowing his receivers.  Totally nervous and not ready. If they actually believed he was ready they must be delusional or intensely bad judges of talent.

3. If you benched TT to light a fire under him to perform down the stretch well I guess you got his attention, but to do it when the playoffs are in sight? Really bad idea. 

4. Did they bench TT because they were afraid as Vic Carucci said that he would lead them into the playoffs and they don’t see him as part of the future?  So they would actually deny us the chance at the playoffs to further their "process" .  Then McD and Beane are truly evil and against anything this fan base holds dear.

5. If they benched TT because they wanted to distract from a horrendous defense effort then they are simply morons.

7. If you knew how bad our O line has been in the last 2 weeks with an elusive mobile QB then why the hell would you put a less mobile pocket passer in?? That was suicidal. Beyond stupid. Peterman tooks some incredible hits that led to at least 2 of his INTS. Once again this seriously questions McD’s intelligence.

that's a biggie. It was a risky move and a very critical moment in the season. I hope the team can recover quickly.... like by Sunday.

Unfortunately OP I agree with almost every single thing you wrote. Not a good situation right now. Major errors were made besides just a bad rookie outing.

39 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Coaches learn but by the time you are head coach you are supposed to know most of it already.

1 hour ago, Idandria said:

Peterman set a record for first half interceptions. Not good, and this was facilitated by McDs decision. He looks like a total idiot. Not good. I don't recall things being this messed up in awhile.

Not to mention this just kills any confidence Peterman might have had for the rest of the season. As some of the announcers said today I don't know how he recovers from this. Mcd, Denison,Castillo I don't care who, but someone better light up this O-line....

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

McDermott is an awful coach. We have seen enough of him all his scripted talk nonesense. He has to go.

He and Beane need to start making better decisions or they aren't going to last 2 seasons. 

This "process" philosophy was kind of comical in the beginning when things were seemingly going ok. Now that things are kind of a mess, their "process" philosophy makes them look really really stupid, Chip Kelly stupid.  

Mcd is a phony. This guy preaches "family" all the time and then trades away players mid year. (Dareus) Ya Dareus was a problem child, but if you are "family" shouldn't you be working with that player to find a solution?..

Then he announces TT as the starter after the saints game, then goes to Peterman 2 days after.

I am really starting to wonder if he has lost the respect from his players by some of his decisions

Tyrod's class throughout the offseason and this debacle has not waivered. 

Say what you will about his play the last few weeks, but he's a great teammate, leader and would be a great face of the franchise.

He has 10 million reasons to not feel unappreciated I guess but wow.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Mcd is a phony. This guy preaches "family" all the time and then trades away players mid year. (Dareus) Ya Dareus was a problem child, but if you are "family" shouldn't you be working with that player to find a solution?..

Then he announces TT as the starter after the saints game, then goes to Peterman 2 days after.

I am really starting to wonder if he has lost the respect from his players by some of his decisions

Yeah, kind of wonder that myself. They do look like they have packed it in the last 3 weeks. Many seem to be playing in self preservation mode.

Not a good look for the coach or GM.

Edited by LarryMadman
  • Like (+1) 2

TT may be the best option right now, but I think they've already decided that he's just not good enough so they wanted to see what they had with Peterman before the season ended. I don't disagree with that decision. Who knew the kid would implode like that in his first start? Better days are ahead for young Nate.

The guy is chip kelly 2.0

He's actually chip kelly on steroids. Kelly made the playoffs and then ran all the talent out of town.

This guy was like eff playoffs, I'm trading away two top 5 picks, and benching my starting qb in half a season. I see you Chip  and I raise you one.

I'm done with this guy. I won't root for him to succeed. He's just so unlikable to me. It really sucks, but I can't do it. !@#$ him.

9 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

TT may be the best option right now, but I think they've already decided that he's just not good enough so they wanted to see what they had with Peterman before the season ended. I don't disagree with that decision. Who knew the kid would implode like that in his first start? Better days are ahead for young Nate.

But why do it now? 

And I agree better days are ahead for Nate, he is gonna be getting that NFL money on the side while working in whatever he majored in at Pitt. He's awful.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I have to believe that McD listened to his OC, and it is coming back to bite him.  I don't envy McD this week with the amount of heat he is going to take by the local and national media.

This.  Dennison seems to be the common denominator here.

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Agree with all this.

I'm afraid McD will never recover from this 

• Like (+1) 1

Just read the OP of the thread and I don't think anyone could have said it better. Everything on point.

A classic response to everything that happened and ownership who apparently has no clue

should read that and maybe learn something. 

6 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

You have made no allowance in your thinking here that perhaps Pegula TOLD McD to play Peterman.

I am not saying he did; I have no way of knowing one way or the other; but it is certainly possible.

Until that is flat out eliminated, you have to assume it remains a possibility before you crucify McD.

Now that we have seen Peterman play, we have to assume the coach didn't think he was ready.  It makes sense that he was told to start him and that of course part of that is maintaining that it was his idea alone...and with an understanding with Pegula that the result will not count against McD if things go wrong.

At least that would be a fair and logical way to structure the deal, if it existed.

If McD purely acted on his own, now that we know what Peterman looks like at this stage in his development, go ahead and crucify McD.  If his football sense is that far off, he won't be around very long as the HC in any event.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

McDermott is making decisions that get you fired. The lucky thing for him is Pegula is already paying Rex 15 million for not coaching. I doubt he wants to pay 3

As I predicted might happen, this decision drastically sped up the Pegulas' evaluation of its coaching staff - just like Peterman, McD's flaws are now on tape for the world to see.  As a sad bonus, McD has probably lost his team.

I can see a "one and done" scenario if someone like Gruden or Harbaugh frees up.  I firmly believe that McD assured Terry that the roster would be competitive this year notwithstanding the aggressive (highly questionable) moves to rid the team of talent (McD = Pol Pot), and that McD further and specifically assured ownership that the time was right to make a QB change.

The decision to start a reckless, noodle-armed, unprepared Pete Naterman with the playoffs in reach will go down as one of the dumbest NFL coaching decisions of all time.  I don't see how McD recovers his career, quite honestly.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, wppete said:

McDermott is an awful coach. We have seen enough of him all his scripted talk nonesense. He has to go.

Amazing how just a month ago some were suggesting that McD should be in a conversation about the Coach of the year !!!

9 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Unfortunately OP I agree with almost every single thing you wrote. Not a good situation right now. Major errors were made besides just a bad rookie outing.

Coaches learn but by the time you are head coach you are supposed to know most of it already.

Belicheat and the Browns???

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

Amazing how just a month ago some were suggesting that McD should be in a conversation about the Coach of the year !!!

Whats amazing is d and o coordinators have figured out the schemes and McDermott hasnt been able to adjust. In fact each week is worst than the week before.