To everyone who was so adamant that the Bills start Peterman

Billsfan1972

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, I have empathy for the traumatized.  And I haven't liked Dennison's game plans most of the season.

I think the story at OBD was Peterman can make those over-the-middle throws to open guys that Tyrod misses.  

Obviously the story was wrong

Yes. It was very wrong. I believed in it. And that was wrong.

But I don't get to see the practices. Or the film. These coaches were not just a little bit wrong here. They were as wrong as you can be.

And once they saw how wrong they were as the interceptions added up, they didn't do anything different.

I don't understand that.

Get this right.......  No one hates Peterman.  Heck 99% have no idea who he is outside the 5th round draft pick backup on the Bills.

This is 100% about those who decided they hated Tyrod......

The fact that no 5th rounder has ever had success or started in their rookie season (correct me if I am wrong) falls on the FO and head coach who fed us this false hope.

They should be ashamed as they've probably irreparably destroyed the kid's career and now there is a powderkeg in the locker room.

McDemott should be a man and apologize for the move to the player, fans and Peterman and move forward.

However I expect hime to go on about how much smarter he is and that we know nothing.....

21 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Look I am traumatized so I might not be 100% accurate here.

But you start the new guy throwing towards the sidelines. That way if he misses or something goes wrong, most always the ball just goes out of bounds. So it is sideline passes and dump the ball to the running back in screens, all with nobody behind them.

They had him throwing to the middle and that is like playing Russian roulette with 5 of 6 bullets in the gun.

So to me it looked like the offensive game plan was at least as bad as the QB play.

I agree. Peterman was bad but not 5 INT bad. How is Bosa left 1-on-1 with Mills? I think good OCs make their QBs play at their best. Dennison makes our play at their worst. A reminder that Denver fans were very happy when he got fired.

I said yesterday in another thread that it was a bad move to start Peterman. Tyrod hasn't been exceptional this year, but he's been solid. He definitely won't lose the game on his own merit.

The way this should have gone down is to keep Tyrod in until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and then start Peterman for the remainder of the season to see what you have in him. At that point, Tyrod wouldn't be here next year, and you'd have a known quantity in Peterman before the following years draft.

What McD did was a terrible decision. You don't give up on the playoffs when you're the #6 seed mathematically, just because the QB isn't playing strong.

We needed a change and this disastrous game did not change anything in terms of TT being who he is.  

Funny most thought it would be a loss regardless so please don’t pretend you have the right answer 

The OLine has been bad to say TT would do better.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

HIGH PRAISE for McDermott in starting Nate Peterman... It's called due-diligence, and you need to give a crap to pull it off... I'm satisfied that McBeandip is trying... It's painfully obvious now (or, it should be) that this team needs to be completely re-built starting with the QB position... We've got a string of paper dolls for a d-line, and a high-school secondary.

Blow it up, guys... Blow the whole thing sky-high... Experiment as much as you feel necessary this year, but come back in '18 with answers and solutions.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We needed a change and this disastrous game did not change anything in terms of TT being who he is.  

Funny most thought it would be a loss regardless so please don’t pretend you have the right answer 

The OLine has been bad to say TT would do better.   

In the score prediction thread you had it down as a win matter of fact you increased the bills score after the tyrdod benching. What happened since wednesday after the game to make you violate your integrity?

I was wrong I thought the kid deserved a chance.

This might actually be of benefit though.....all the noise about starting Peterman stops.

The team and fans see its not Tyrods fault and maybe the team elevates their play around him.

Or the team really does suck and goes into full on tank mode for a higher draft pick.

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The entire team sucks. That's your option.

At the moment.... with Jordan Poyer and Shady very honourable exceptions.... it might be getting closer to a fact.  We haven't even competed 3 weeks in a row.  At the moment we look less competitive than Cleveland.  Where has the hard working, disciplined, well coached team of the first 7 weeks gone? 

I was wrong too but when it's just more of the same year after year you can't blame people for wanting a change. This just proves we have no good QB's at all.

The thing that upsets me the most is that statistically speaking the Bills should have lucked into at least one good QB this century, even by accident. But not the Buffalo Bills, the world's unluckiest sports team.

Anyway, pat yourselves on the back for being half right.

7 hours ago, #34fan said:

HIGH PRAISE for McDermott in starting Nate Peterman... It's called due-diligence, and you need to give a crap to pull it off... I'm satisfied that McBeandip is trying... It's painfully obvious now (or, it should be) that this team needs to be completely re-built starting with the QB position... We've got a string of paper dolls for a d-line, and a high-school secondary.

Blow it up, guys... Blow the whole thing sky-high... Experiment as much as you feel necessary this year, but come back in '18 with answers and solutions.

You gotta be kidding.

It is embarrassing this HO & coaching staff started a 5th round draft choice and the results were even worse then anticipated.

I bet you if Peterman didn't throw that 5th int he probably starts the second half too......

11 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think the OP is justifiably annoyed with the fact that you and a couple others were fairly adimant that if somebody didn’t agree with the decision they obviously knew slim to none about what was going on. 

It was a bad move. I didn’t want to be right. I kept grasping to the thought of a rookie coming in and playing better than our average/not quite good enough qb. He wasn’t. He sucked. It wasn’t the right move and now we have people showing real colors like JMC up there still pandering on about how it was the right call. 

It it just wasn’t. Hands down. And I’m not somebody saying we even would have won if Taylor started but i’d Bet money it would have been competitive and we probably woulda had a shot. 

i don't know if i would characterize my opinion as being fairly adamant. i will categorically say that i was wrong though.

This game, as awful as Peterman was, doesn't excuse Tyrod's poor play.

It doesn't magically make Taylor a good QB.  He's still the guy who threw for 56 yards last week, still the guy who holds on to the ball far too long and still the guy averaging 187 yards/game in 2017.

I wasn't adamant but I wanted to see it happen as did 80% of members here in a poll.  He wasn't ready.  Still part of me still isn't bothered by it, they rolled the dice instead of taking the more established route which very well could have had the same outcome.  

17 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

This game, as awful as Peterman was, doesn't excuse Tyrod's poor play.

It doesn't magically make Taylor a good QB.  He's still the guy who threw for 56 yards last week, still the guy who holds on to the ball far too long and still the guy averaging 187 yards/game in 2017.

Maybe it shows how bad the offense is regardless of qb, eh?  Taylor was like a thousand times better than Peterman. You play the best players.

Huge coaching blunder.  Sometimes you buy a house....

13 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And that anyone saying otherwise knew nothing about how bad Tyrod is and the stupidity of all the experts who don't watch the Bills.......

Explain away.......

I'm glad we are starting Peterman.. let him learn now in hopes he gets better, but with this OL it might get him killed.

this is a lose lose situation for the bills and us fans

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I wasn't adamant but I wanted to see it happen as did 80% of members here in a poll.  He wasn't ready.  Still part of me still isn't bothered by it, they rolled the dice instead of taking the more established route which very well could have had the same outcome.  

And the 80% were 100% wrong...........  Admit it and move on.....

BTW it was not a calculated risk to start Peterman.  It was asinine....

It was a move that backfired badly, but not a bad move. They had to do something to hopefully spark the offence that was not working. They did what a huge percentage of the fans have been screaming for and made the QB change after 2 very bad offensive games. Now those same people that wanted the move are screaming about how they shouldn't have made the move and how it was wrong.

Now they know, Peterman was a 5th rounder for a reason and the offence wasn't horrible just because of the QB like many here thought. 

Things couldn't get worse was a phrase uttered by many here up until yesterday afternoon.

I don't blame the coach or front office for making a move to try and shake up a struggling offence

Peterman didnt play well but lets not pretend the Bills coaching staff did anything to help him. Chargers have one guy who can wreck a game plan from a passing standpoint in Bosa and they let him go one on one against a rookie LT and a turnstile RT. He was directly reponsible for 3 TOs yesterday.  I dont care if you have to triple team that guy on passing downs...he would not have been the reason we looked terrible. Make someone else beat you, not him.

The Bills repeatedly want to bring the ball out of the end zone when they are terrible at blocking for returns and either get chopped down inside the 15 or get a penalty to move them back inside the 15. At best they make it to where the ball would have been initially at the 25. Let the ball bounce into the end zone if its near the goal line and take a knee idiot!!

The Chargers come out in a dime defense with Bills in 21 personnel on their own 14 yard line. Bills have clear advantage in running game for an easy 8-10+ yard gain on 1st down and what do they do? Throw a 2 yard comeback to a WR that gets picked off. This is DUMB football. The defense is giving you a big gain on 1st down...TAKE IT!! Instead you decide to throw it and them throw a 2 yard pattern??? For what???

I don't what Dennison is looking at on the field...how can you not run the ball against that personnel mismatch with a rookie QB backed up on the 14 yard line?? The Chargers were GIVING you an easy way to get great yardage on 1st down and you inexplicably throw it and then not only throw it throw a meaningless 2 yard comeback. Look at the replay...Chargers 3 man DL were shifted right, the left tackle and left guard had NOBODY to block..a run to the left would have picked up big yards...Mind numbing...just mind numbing for anyone who knows football.

Edited by matter2003
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And that anyone saying otherwise knew nothing about how bad Tyrod is and the stupidity of all the experts who don't watch the Bills.......

Explain away.......

I've already made my peace on the situation and ate crow so to speak.

But the bottom line is TT isn't a franchise QB and not taking this team anywhere either so the move to start NP is/was still justified by this regime even though it backfired in spectacular fashion.

Blah, blah, blah........  This and listening to those on wgr explaining away 4 interceptions as not being Peterman's fault........ 

Not one was a difficult int difficult to make...... 

This team decimated the offense in the offseason leaving only Tyrod, Shady & Clay (btw nice drop on that TD pass) and an OC setting up a scheme that is just lousy.

6 hours ago, Jackington said:

Maybe it shows how bad the offense is regardless of qb, eh?  Taylor was like a thousand times better than Peterman. You play the best players.

Huge coaching blunder.  Sometimes you buy a house....

Perhaps.  I'm not excusing the line or Dennison either.

The OP is a poser.  As if you or anyone else knew what Peterman would be.  Tyrod was terrible so they gave Peterman a shot.  Peterman was even worse.  Put Tyrod back in.  Who cares.  Both QB's are bad and neither will win with this defense so what does it matter?  The coach had some guts and decided that anything would be better than what Tyrod was doing and he discovered he was wrong.  At least didn't just sit back and go down without a fight.  Are they just supposed to sit back and watch Tyrod pass for 50 yards in a game?  Get a clue and stop trying to act superior because if it went the other way you wouldn't even be posting

I was fully expecting much more out of Peterman than we saw yesterday, that's for sure.  When he had that nice pass to Benjamin, I was getting excited, and then it all came crashing down.  I was not calling for Tyrod to be replaced, but when the decision was made, I was hoping for a more consistent passing attack to our receivers. That is obviously not how things went.

I still think Peterman may be a decent QB at some point, but I am afraid that he may not be able to bounce back from that performance anytime soon.  

Something had to be done after the complete give up game Buffalo had at home.  Taylor was as oppositely as bad as Peterman was vs LAC.  One Qb is so over protective of the ball they refuse to test coverage over 10 yards in a blow out.  The other guy who was so aggressive he was throwing punts into the air on third downs.  Sitting Taylor made the message pretty loud and clear.  I dont care who you are what position, if you dont play the way we expect you to we will put someone else in that will.  Now in hindsight the decision looks truly bad.  Now after 2 terrible performances for complete different reasons what way does the coaching staff go.  To me as a player Peterman looked in over his head.  He made some throws that showed promise.  Those were far and few and he threw more picks than threw completions that showed promise.  If this was a move to send a message to Taylor and  the football team it could still makes sense going forward and help the team, but to do so Taylor is obviously the starter for the remainder of the year.  If Peterman remains the starter this is a subtle not so subtle tank.  Continuing to force the evolution of Nathan Peterman as a NFL QB is looking toward next year and basically throws in the towel for the 2017 Bills.  The remainder of the season would be an extended job interview for everyone on the roster.   Players that play hard stay the younger guys get some much needed reps and the veteran are gone in March.  

Edited by Mat68

20 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Explain away.......

I wanted Peterman because Tyrod threw for 5 yards the week before and consistently ignores looking downfield and when he DOES look, he over- or under-throws regularly. 

I figured “it can’t get worse.” 

I was wrong. 

I dont even really care who started, who is going to start or how badly they played.

The whole team is just bad and how do you ever just hang that on one guy?

With the way the players are playing right now, they dont deserve the criticism.........McD is responsible for it and he needs to own it and fix it.

16 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

In the score prediction thread you had it down as a win matter of fact you increased the bills score after the tyrdod benching. What happened since wednesday after the game to make you violate your integrity?

Ah the prediction thread.   

I've beem wrong more often than not on that thread.

You caught me.  Lock me up. 

Did I have a loss with TT? I forget.  

Thank you for paying attention.