Every Nate Peterman throw from the Saints game

HappyDays

46 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Hey quick question:

Is TT still better than Carson Wentz?

Carson Wentz is running a college offense with a great o-line, run game, and defense backing him up. My opinion on him hasn’t changed. He can be successful up until things aren’t going right at which point I don’t think he has what it takes to carry a team on his own.

You gonna keep following me around? Or can we let it go?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

It's weird to see a QB drop back, make a read and then just throwing before there is any pressure.

After the Saints got done dismantling our Bills I watched the Rams/Texans game. I found myself transfixed watching Tom Savage get the ball, get rid of it and move on to the next play. Tom. Freaking. Savage. That's how terrible Taylor has been lately. I got a football boner watching Tom Freaking Savage.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's played well in some games and not so well in others.  But lets pretend it has been all bad. 

Tyrod playing well doesn't look like a typical NFL QB playing well. Therein lies the problem. NFL defensive coordinators are smart. They have now devised schemes to stop the things TT does well by having the DL play him differently than a traditional QB. They have, in a sense figured him out. That is a huge issue going forward. Tyrod's play hasn't changed much if at all. The defenses have changed and adapted. So those games indeed did happen and TT gets credit for it. From now on , it appears this is the type of defense Taylor is going to see, forcing him to stay in the pocket and throw. The results are alarming. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Carson Wentz is running a college offense with a great o-line, run game, and defense backing him up. My opinion on him hasn’t changed. He can be successful up until things aren’t going right at which point I don’t think he has what it takes to carry a team on his own.

You gonna keep following me around? Or can we let it go?

Who cares what offense he’s running? The Eagles are one of the best teams in the league and Wentz is a legit MVP candidate.

Just now, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Better they sticking with what is not working.....but i guess banging your head against the wall is the way you like getting things done.    

Sorry, that's not the way to make a decision. They know who and what Tyrod is. Overreaction.

2 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Expecting a rookie 5th round prospect, with a 50% completion rate to take the reins, is courting a deepening of the current tragedy that is this team.

Not necessarily.  With Peterman, opposing teams can't just crowd the line like they do with Tyrod.  Opposing team (just like the Saints did) have to play back and respect that the QB is NOT AFRAID to throw the ball.

THAT alone will help the running game!

4 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

The cute thing to say is, "If the coaches felt Peterman was better than Tyrod, he would be starting".

As if it's that simple.

From the day these guys were hired, they preached "Every position is open to competition". Certainly...except QB. No new coach wants to add an actual QB comp while installing everything else from scratch. So as they look to build a new system/culture, they have the team vote for Captains, and sure enough, they vote for TT to be one of their guys. They, like many of us, NEEDED to believe this guy can take that step and not be a career back up.

Then the preseason happens. While Peterman didn't have a Russell Wilson "steal the job" performance, he was clearly the better NFL thrower of footballs. Then he returns to the bench.

Then he comes out yesterday, and picks up exactly where he left off. Yes, against a prevent D consisting of some back ups, but that doesn't diminish his throws.

Coaches know you can't pull the plug on TT until either you are mathematically out or his play is so horrible the other "leaders" ask for the change behind the scenes. It's like any other group of people in life. Politics.

The cute thing to say is also "put him in real games to see if they have anything in him". Really this is just an excuse so the fans who think they know can get a chance to see if they think he can be the answer. How many backups/potential guys have the fans been all over "we have to see what they have in him" actually gone on to be anyhting here or elsewhere? Aside from Flutie which was kind of a different situation? This is the classic "the backup has to be better, did you see them in preseason and garbage time" that always happens when the starter isn't cutting it. The same guys praising other teams for finding starters are the same who dismissed them for making a move for them in the draft because they weren't franchise guys or next year's guys would be much better....

How many dismissed Goff, Wentz, Prescott, Watson?

Interesting...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

Quote:

OVERVIEW

A highly-recruited passer coming out of Florida, Peterman signed with Tennessee to get a chance to play SEC football. He had to feel snake-bit in Knoxville, however, since he didn't make it through his first start as a redshirt freshman or sophomore. Peterman played in four games in 2013, but broke his hand in his first start and never regained that spot (10-23, 45 yards, two INT). The next season, he was benched after two series in his only start and then was replaced by Joshua Dobbs -- who didn't let go of the reins. Peterman played in seven games that year (10-20, 49 yards). He earned his degree in only three years, however, so he transferred to Pitt to finish his career. Peterman started 11 games in 2015 (2,287 yards, 20 TD, seven INT) and held the job as a senior (2,855 yards, 27 TD, seven INT, 60.5 completion pct.)

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

WEAKNESSES

Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3-4

SOURCES TELL US

"I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of Personnel

NFL COMPARISON

Kirk Cousins

BOTTOM LINE

Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future. -Lance Zierlein

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Get real. Peterman's presence is not the determining factor on whether they should invest resources in a future QB. 

I am getting real....Peterman has much of what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL, but you don't know if he has the truest of chops to do it. You only find out if you let him play. I'm not sure why you say, "get real"....there are two high quality QBs playing who were Drafted in the 4th round, one famous 6th round QB, a 7th who started the year on fire for Denver, Romo who was Undrafted, Taylor was a 6th round pick, and a number of others who've done well that were mid-round picks. In other words, YES, how Peterman plays should determine where they Draft another QB. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't Draft one, I'm saying signing a good Vet and then Drafting one after the 3rd round would make sense IF they believed Peterman could be the solution.

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NXibjvq9LyE&feature=youtu.be&a=

I turned the game off at the end of the 3rd quarter so I hadn’t see Peterman’s passes. I came away from this video very impressed.

I know, I know. It’s garbage time, some of the Saints backups were on the field, they didn’t game plan for Peterman, etc. Say what you will, he makes good quick decisions and he is mostly accurate. His first drive would have kept going if Benjamin doesn’t drop the ball on 3rd down or if Dennison remembers you can pass the ball on 4th and short. His 2nd drive is an impressive looking TD drive where even the incompletion to Thompson shows promise (good pre-snap read and a quick throw that he just misses with Thompson getting mugged).

I think Tyrod goes to a different team next season that is willing to design an offense around his skill set. If this is the offense we are going to run, Peterman seems to fit it better. If the pass game looks bad against the Chargers I don’t see any reason he shouldn’t get a shot.

We'll probably trade Peterman for more draft picks during the off-season.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sorry, that's not the way to make a decision. They know who and what Tyrod is. Overreaction.

Overreaction is pulling a guy 4 games into a season, its been 3 years, get a clue buddy.  The way decisions are being made right now is not the way to do things......Tolbert, Vald, Mills. TT, Trading MD because you think he didnt help the run D......

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Well, they know who and what Tyrod is. He can only do one thing and defenses will no longer let you do it. Tyrod is not an accurate thrower of the football from the pocket that gets the ball out on time. Are you going to hope he suddenly becomes that player? Or would you try an inexperienced QB that plays a pocket style and see if he can do it at the next level? Which one is a long shot and which one has some possibility? 

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

The cute thing to say is also "put him in real games to see if they have anything in him". Really this is just an excuse so the fans who think they know can get a chance to see if they think he can be the answer. How many backups/potential guys have the fans been all over "we have to see what they have in him" actually gone on to be anyhting here or elsewhere? Aside from Flutie which was kind of a different situation? This is the classic "the backup has to be better, did you see them in preseason and garbage time" that always happens when the starter isn't cutting it. The same guys praising other teams for finding starters are the same who dismissed them for making a move for them in the draft because they weren't franchise guys or next year's guys would be much better....

How many dismissed Goff, Wentz, Prescott, Watson?

I actually agree with you on that one point. Some Ravens fans felt the same way about Tyrod and for a period of time, felt they lost a real gem in their old back up.

But here we are. Sitting in reality. Just over halfway and praying his old team that still has a halfway decent QB doesn't creep up and take our spot.

I don't think we should try Peterman just because he's the back up. I'm basing it on what he's shown in college, preseason, and now that little tiny window he showed yesterday. If he fails, so be it. I just struggle to see how he can be any worse than the current guy. At minimum, you discover you have a very legit #2 for the next few years behind your future guy next draft.

This is much better than the garbage we've seen from Taylor the last few weeks.

We should be making a change at QB this week. Taylor can't perform at QB if the defense isn't playing at a high level, and for the sake of not giving up on the season we need to make a change at QB. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This is much better than the garbage we've seen from Taylor the last few weeks.

We should be making a change at QB this week. Taylor can't perform at QB if the defense isn't playing at a high level, and for the sake of not giving up on the season we need to make a change at QB. 

This is way more about Taylor than the sorry performance of the defense. The trouble is stemming from what opposing defenses are giving him. That is a wide pocket and WRs that aren't College wide-open. He can't take advantage of it. 

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The coaches have watched Peterman through OTAs, minicamps, training camp, preseason, and now into the regular season.  If they thought he was better, he'd be playing.  Time to draft a potential franchise QB. 

I'm not entirely sure they are making their case based on what he has done so far in camp and so on. I believe it's more of them wanting TT to finally turn the corner rather than abandoning their appointed starter midway through a 5-4 start to the season. Peterman has had almost no reps with the starters since the start of the season, so in season evaluation is almost non-existent. Game time play or reps with the ones in practice is where you can evaluate this guy. Kurt Warner was pushed around until he finally got a chance to play and prove himself. The same happened for Tom Brady, Kurt Cousins, Matt Hasselback, Trent Green, and Mark Brunell. The list goes on, but the point is that you can't make any assumptions based on what you listed. Coaches make mistakes all of the time. If it wasn't for injuries Brady and Cousins might have been traded to another team, or lost to free agency. We just want to see what this kid has to offer before we invest an entire draft class on a guy that could potentially be a dud. If we fall below .500 then we'll see a QB change, and get a real feel foe what this kid has to offer.

• Like (+1) 1

I saw him look off the safety, make an audible, throw with anticipation, trust his receivers to make a play and got Benjamin involved soon as he got in the game. I mean are we trying to win or stick by players who are just not getting the job done. Every position on the Bills is evaluated except QB in Buffalo and I don't understand why.

23 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Not necessarily.  With Peterman, opposing teams can't just crowd the line like they do with Tyrod.  Opposing team (just like the Saints did) have to play back and respect that the QB is NOT AFRAID to throw the ball.

THAT alone will help the running game!

I would like a QB other than Taylor as well but saying the Saints dropped backed off in coverage because of Peterman...come on. It was 47-3...what did you think they would do.....play 9 guys on the LOS?

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Look how quickly he runs the no huddle as well. Every time Tyrod is in this situation he takes 30 seconds to get up to the line and run the next play

Noticed that too as well. Honestly everything that a QB is supposed to do Tyrod fails at. He is a good athletic QB that can run and scramble and possibly beat you over the top. But that's clearly not what this offense is about. I don't think he is accurate enough to make tight window throws and his anticipation and possibly reading the defense is below average. 

I mean they don't even trust him to audible but you got rookies audibling all the time. 

If you continue to start Taylor and lose from here on out, well then you deserve it Bills. I hope I'm wrong. Lets be honest, if I was playing defense for this team I would call it a day early because I know my QB can't do squat from behind.

40 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The coaches have watched Peterman through OTAs, minicamps, training camp, preseason, and now into the regular season.  If they thought he was better, he'd be playing.  Time to draft a potential franchise QB. 

I don't buy that reasoning for a second. NFL Coaches, by and large, are some of the most cowardly bastards on the planet. They HATE to make changes and they HATE to take risks. Why do you think so many of them punt on 4th and 3 even when playing from behind?

Right now McDermott is like "well, if we play Tyrod and lose too much and miss the playoffs,  my exposure to criticism is minimized because I stuck with my starting QB. Tyrod will get the bulk of the blame, we can cast him off in the off season, and try again with someone new in 2018". If he makes the move to bench Tyrod for Peterman now and it doesn't work, he'll get ALL the blame. Tyrod will look like a victim of a bad coaching decision and Peterman will look like a victim of being thrown to the wolves while he was still too raw. It would truly take a coach with balls to make the decision to bench Tyrod at this point in the season.

Seriously though, does anyone think Belichick would still be playing Tyrod? Me either.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I don't buy that reasoning for a second. NFL Coaches, by and large, are some of the most cowardly bastards on the planet. They HATE to make changes and they HATE to take risks. Why do you think so many of them punt on 4th and 3 even when playing from behind?

Right now McDermott is like "well, if we play Tyrod and lose too much and miss the playoffs,  my exposure to criticism is minimized because I stuck with my starting QB. Tyrod will get the bulk of the blame, we can cast him off in the off season, and try again with someone new in 2018". If he makes the move to bench Tyrod for Peterman now and it doesn't work, he'll get ALL the blame. Tyrod will look like a victim of a bad coaching decision and Peterman will look like a victim of being thrown to the wolves while he was still too raw. It would truly take a coach with balls to make the decision to bench Tyrod at this point in the season.

Seriously though, does anyone think Belichick would still be playing Tyrod? Me either.

Hard to say. I think Belichick would have gone down with the ship with Bledsoe.

!@#$ing Mo Lewis.

We are all tired of seeing Taylor. We know how that movie ends. Unfortunately, the HC doesn't know this and gives Bills fans serious questions about the HC's ability to attain the "process".

When you get destroyed the last two games like the Bills have............... that means there is a serious problem here and it starts with the QB position.

It was Taylor's fault in NJ, but he certainly was a BIG part of the problem yesterday.

A QB change can spark the entire team or officially end it. The Bills need to take that risk.

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Well McDermott is gonna stick with Tyrod. This coukd turn into a crap show real quick 

We would still be right in the thick of the playoff race if we do lose to the Chargers but if Taylor lays another egg, especially in the passing game where we gave him a shiny new toy in Benjamin......will he be able to keep firmly saying "Tyrod is our starter"?

53 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Tyrod playing well doesn't look like a typical NFL QB playing well. Therein lies the problem. NFL defensive coordinators are smart. They have now devised schemes to stop the things TT does well by having the DL play him differently than a traditional QB. They have, in a sense figured him out. That is a huge issue going forward. Tyrod's play hasn't changed much if at all. The defenses have changed and adapted. So those games indeed did happen and TT gets credit for it. From now on , it appears this is the type of defense Taylor is going to see, forcing him to stay in the pocket and throw. The results are alarming. 

Great post. I had the opportunity to watch TT in person for the first time against the Raiders. I left the game very unimpressed, although the Bills dominated every phase of the game. It was enlightening to watch from a different perspective  at the stadium.

The Bills 2017 receiver group is without question one of the weaker groups in the league. TT must be graded fairly with that taken into consideration. While the receivers sometimes struggled during that game, I saw a QB who almost NEVER makes a quick read. This has been an issue throughout his career. O Line struggles have also contributed to making his indecisiveness even more constant this season. TT choose to bounce outside of the pocket nearly every play against the Raiders, after giving up on his first read. This is due to his inability to throw with anticipation, and fit the ball into tight windows. 

One play against the Raiders summed up TT’s style,  the touchdown throw to Holmes on the sideline. It seemed to be a great throw and catch. Everyone was happy, and we were on our way to the playoffs. The truth is that TT missed a wide open Holmes crossing in the center of the end zone. He bailed out of the pocket, right when Holmes got open. TT  scrambled making a great throw to Holmes for the TD. A difficult throw and catch that should have never been so challenging. This happens with TT on a regular basis. These are the type of plays that good defenses don’t allow TT to make. Keep him in the pocket, and the plays he makes never happen. Sometimes you need to play like a typical QB to be a winner. TT doesn’t have the ability to do so. His success depends on specific sets of circumstances that don’t present themselves frequently. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5
  • Like (+1) 1

This is the thing about Peterman

One of the things that is not being talked about is that a lot of us like Tyrod's wheels (probably the best in the league)

but the fact is.....Nathan Peterman has a pretty good set himself....AND he throws a accurate well timed ball.

I was all in on Tyrod last year......and I really wanted him to succeed this year......but when I watch the offense start to stutter and I start to think about a change

2 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

One of the things that is not being talked about is that a lot of us like Tyrod's wheels (probably the best in the league)

but the fact is.....Nathan Peterman has a pretty good set himself....AND he throws a accurate well timed ball.

I was all in on Tyrod last year......and I really wanted him to succeed this year......but when I watch the offense start to stutter and I start to think about a change

That's what makes him perfect for this system.  He's mobile and accurate within 20 yards.  

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Pass to Matthews at the 13 is money.

That was the pass that impressed me most. Stuck his back foot into his drop, released before Matthews was out of his break, hit him in stride for extra yards. Total professional throw. You get the ball out in time, suddenly your offensive line looks a lot better and the timing with the wideouts isn't disrupted. 

What to really take away from NP time on the field:

1.  Cant put too much stock in it with a blow out loss, backups and soft D.  

2.  You can see the ability to get the ball out quick and on quick strikes.  

I still have my doubts he is ready to start a game in the NFL, but the one thing I think that was refreshing was the Brees like drop and release, a guy he patterned his game off of.  I get lumped into some kind TT lover category by a few people who never stop railing against him, however, I have said MANY times over that TT deserved to start this year, but had a lot to prove in order to keep that job.  And I am also on the record of liking Peterman.  

At this point, its about how I predicted it would go.  TT would and should start until he either earned the job moving forward, got hurt, or the Bills were likely out of the playoff race where then Peterman should finish the season.  I also said that likely wouldn't happen until after week 10.  

At this point, I think Peterman has shown enough to warrant consideration in a game as early as this week in SD to be an option at halftime if TT and the offense struggle in what really is a must win game given our remains schedule.  I think there is 0% chance Peterman starts this week outside injury, but a very poor half by TT and I think there is a chance they throw NP out there to see if he can spark the offense against starters.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Didn’t think I’d hear you say that, but it’s pretty obvious that starting Peterman could be a great move.  Our offense has been a laughing stock for the last 2weeks.  Because teams are forcing tyrod to be a qb, the running game has no chance.  They aren’t afraid of the pass, rightly so.  I’m not saying Peterman is going to be the next Tom Brady, but We have to do something to get this offense moving. I’m assuming they’re just going to make some play call changes and hope for the best, but I’d rather see what Peterman can do for a game at least.  Feel bad for tyrod as he was looking a bit improved, but something has to change if we’re serious about making the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That was the pass that impressed me most. Stuck his back foot into his drop, released before Matthews was out of his break, hit him in stride for extra yards. Total professional throw. You get the ball out in time, suddenly your offensive line looks a lot better and the timing with the wideouts isn't disrupted. 

Then it just didn't happen again after that.