Every Nate Peterman throw from the Saints game

HappyDays

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NXibjvq9LyE&feature=youtu.be&a=

I turned the game off at the end of the 3rd quarter so I hadn’t see Peterman’s passes. I came away from this video very impressed.

I know, I know. It’s garbage time, some of the Saints backups were on the field, they didn’t game plan for Peterman, etc. Say what you will, he makes good quick decisions and he is mostly accurate. His first drive would have kept going if Benjamin doesn’t drop the ball on 3rd down or if Dennison remembers you can pass the ball on 4th and short. His 2nd drive is an impressive looking TD drive where even the incompletion to Thompson shows promise (good pre-snap read and a quick throw that he just misses with Thompson getting mugged).

I think Tyrod goes to a different team next season that is willing to design an offense around his skill set. If this is the offense we are going to run, Peterman seems to fit it better. If the pass game looks bad against the Chargers I don’t see any reason he shouldn’t get a shot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NXibjvq9LyE&feature=youtu.be&a=

I turned the game off at the end of the 3rd quarter so I hadn’t see Peterman’s passes. I came away from this video very impressed.

I know, I know. It’s garbage time, some of the Saints backups were on the field, they didn’t game plan for Peterman, etc. Say what you will, he makes good quick decisions and he is mostly accurate. His first drive would have kept going if Benjamin doesn’t drop the ball on 3rd down or if Dennison remembers you can pass the ball on 4th and short. His 2nd drive is an impressive looking TD drive where even the incompletion to Thompson shows promise (good pre-snap read and a quick throw that he just misses with Thompson getting mugged).

I think Tyrod goes to a different team next season that is willing to design an offense around his skill set. If this is the offense we are going to run, Peterman seems to fit it better. If the pass game looks bad against the Chargers I don’t see any reason he shouldn’t get a shot.

Peterman reads the field quickly and trusts what he sees. He trusts his arm and trusts his teammate to make the play.

Things an NFL quarterback needs to be successful.

Things that the current starting quarterback does not have. As a result, the current starting quarterback will never be successful in this league.

I agree 100%, if Tyrod does not move the offense I see no reason why you do not bring Peterman in and see if he can do better.  If this team is still serious about playoffs you need to put your best options on the field.  The rest of the season teams are going to put 8 in the box and dare the team to throw.  Tyrod had Benjamin and Clay and a full compliment of receivers and still couldn't find a open man.  I was happy to keep Peterman on the bench this season, but the last two games are showing the limitations on Tyrod.  It is not illogical to say lets see if Peterman can lead (or at least see some quality game time) now so McBean know what he needs to look for with all those draft picks. 

Wow a QB that actually knows how to drop back, plant, and throw. You know...what they teach you when you are in pop warner! Don't give me that crap that it was garbage time. The entire second half was garbage time and Tyrod couldnt complete a pass past the line of scrimmage. He is a gimmick. Not a real QB. Peterman doesn't have the best arm but at least he runs the play as called.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for the link!  I too had turned the channel and missed Peterman's plays.

I am done watching Tyrod. Every snap yesterday I heard myself screaming "throw the damn ball"!

Time to find out what we have in Peterman.

Garbage time? Yes. But the dude hit Benjamin without any problems and probably has thrown absolutely zero times to him in practice this past week. You know TT took every chance to build a chemistry with this guy and did nothing with it. Peterman comes in and hits him with ease, while barely warming up. I just can't get passed it. 3 targets the first drive, then nothing? We've seen the same thing with Watkins / Woods the last few years as well. TT just can't stay in a rhythm with his receivers, or loses trust in his ability to throw it to them. It's almost like he thinks he'll get picked off if he throws it to them too often. Some kind of psychological barrier is preventing him from making those plays. Love the guy, but damn dude just get out of your head and throw them the ball.  

While the QB rating would probably go down by a switch, stylistically it likely helps out everyone else on the offense.  The O-line knows where the QB is going to be and that the balls going to get out quicker.  The WR know to look for the ball coming out of breaks and the RB will not have to deal with a stacked box.  It would also open up the screen game since the defense would have to back off since they couldn't roll with single coverage on both outside receivers.

Yeah pretty tough to evaluate, but I really like what saw there. I know the Saints were not prepared for him and were in a soft defense, but the anticipation and reads were great. Gotta remember that Peterson hasn't had full go in and out practices with the first team too.  If I'm the coaching staff I make the change now, giving Peterman full reps with the first team. Give him time with KB, Clay, and JM and we could be pleasantly surprised.  It's time to move on from Taylor.  I really don't see how it hurts anything either.  If the game is too much for Peterman and we break him....oh well. He's a 5th round draft pick after all. We then take another QB early next draft that best fits our system and let the rook and Peterman battle it out.  

• Like (+1) 1

Tyrod threw for 56 yards. That's right. An NFL quarterback threw for 56 yards. If you ask me he just played himself right out of a starting job. Peterman looks sharp and delivers the ball. He deserves a chance. If they don't make the switch now then I don't want to hear Coach McD and Mr. Beane utter one word about accountability nonsense.

Edited by bmur66

6 minutes ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

You know TT took every chance to build a chemistry with this guy and did nothing with it

Simply not true. TT clearly managed to not hit KB for a TD on the first drive and a first down on the very next pass.

You can’t take that away from him.

???

7 minutes ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

Garbage time? Yes. But the dude hit Benjamin without any problems and probably has thrown absolutely zero times to him in practice this past week. You know TT took every chance to build a chemistry with this guy and did nothing with it. Peterman comes in and hits him with ease, while barely warming up. I just can't get passed it. 3 targets the first drive, then nothing? We've seen the same thing with Watkins / Woods the last few years as well. TT just can't stay in a rhythm with his receivers, or loses trust in his ability to throw it to them. It's almost like he thinks he'll get picked off if he throws it to them too often. Some kind of psychological barrier is preventing him from making those plays. Love the guy, but damn dude just get out of your head and throw them the ball.  

Exactly! I just mentioned this as well. You have to think about practice too. Peterman has had little to no time to build any kind of chemistry with any of our first team receiving options. That's a huge factor imo. 

2 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Exactly! I just mentioned this as well. You have to think about practice too. Peterman has had little to no time to build any kind of chemistry with any of our first team receiving options. That's a huge factor imo. 

Yeah, forgot to mention how he has barely had a chance to throw to Jordan Mathews and Deonte Thompson as well. You've got to be impressed with how he handled himself out there, garbage time or not. Bills coaches need to put their best guys out there, and you cant make exemptions for the QB.

1 minute ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

Yeah, forgot to mention how he has barely had a chance to throw to Jordan Mathews and Deonte Thompson as well. You've got to be impressed with how he handled himself out there, garbage time or not. Bills coaches need to put their best guys out there, and you cant make exemptions for the QB.

Pass to Matthews at the 13 is money.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Simply not true. TT clearly managed to not hit KB for a TD on the first drive and a first down on the very next pass.

You can’t take that away from him.

???

Gosh man, I'm more upset about that now than when it happened. If I knew those would be his only targets the whole game....stroke / heart attack / aneurism all at once!

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

Pass to Matthews at the 13 is money.

I'm telling you man, he was surprised. He double caught it because he couldn't believe the pass got to him on time. LOL

25 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Wow a QB that actually knows how to drop back, plant, and throw. You know...what they teach you when you are in pop warner! Don't give me that crap that it was garbage time. The entire second half was garbage time and Tyrod couldnt complete a pass past the line of scrimmage. He is a gimmick. Not a real QB. Peterman doesn't have the best arm but at least he runs the play as called.

I don’t personally buy the garbage time excuse either. As others have said our regular offense didn’t look good in garbage time. The Saints backups didn’t intentionally lay over and die, they are fighting for future jobs too so they take every play seriously. They weren’t leaving receivers wide open, Peterman was simply finding the windows and throwing into them. He’s been doing this consistently since the last month of training camp.

Does this prove Peterman could pick apart the Seahawks secondary in its prime, no, but it does prove he belongs on the field and deserves a chance to start at some point. Only way to find out what he can really do is to start him.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, teef said:

not terrible.  he looked the part, but as you mentioned, it's tough to really evaluate a qb in that scenario.

step step step set the feet, pass.  

Versus 

step step step set the feet, wait wait wait pass or scramble. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don’t personally buy the garbage time excuse either. As others have said our regular offense didn’t look good in garbage time. The Saints backups didn’t intentionally lay over and die, they are fighting for future jobs too so they take every play seriously. They weren’t leaving receivers wide open, Peterman was simply finding the windows and throwing into them. He’s been doing this consistently since the last month of training camp.

Does this prove Peterman could pick apart the Seahawks secondary in its prime, no, but it does prove he belongs on the field and deserves a chance to start at some point. Only way to find out what he can really do is to start him.

Another convert.

Welcome to the Dark Side 

So I wasn't really watching the 4th quarter yesterday I must admit. So thanks for posting.

It's time to make the switch, and see what this guy really has. Quick release, a real dropback and plant, and he actually does what the play calls for. I'm not ready to go on saying he's def going to be good, but we have a known quantity in Taylor, and Peterman has shown promise.

Not only that, but he is a fit for the WCO we are trying to implement.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

All it proves is that Bills fans are desperate for anything, and get excited over something that proves nothing. It means he is just like almost every other backup QB that has come in and thrown a few good passes to get a garbage time TD.  How did his second drive go?

Just don't know why so many coaches are so reactive especially with quarterbacks. Why is it such a bad thing to be proactive and make a qb switch with a winning record if you truly believe that you can get more out of that position with a different guy.   We have played nine games now. Sure Taylor has had a couple decent games but don't forget the Cincinnati game the Carolina game the Saints game.  For every game Tyrods decent he has another game where he's the reason we lose were he can't manufacture any points

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

TT looked pretty good last week in the last half of the Jets game too, but that was just garbage time and doesn't count, right?

Getting excited cause a late round backup came in and had a successful drive in garbage time in a blowout game? This must be a first.........

Peterman isn't the answer, that's not the point.  The point is Tyrod is finished as a starting QB in this league.  

This team is probably 7-2 with Keenum or  McCown as the QB - so what fans want to know is, can Peterman be at least that until we find a QB.

10 minutes ago, BILLriant said:

He reminds me of the quarterback that just picked us apart

Looking back at the start of Drew Brees' career, he did not come in and set the league on fire right away.  He had similar credentials to Peterman.  His college was not a big time producer of NFL QBs (Illinois - I think).  He's undersized and was not regarded as having a canon for an arm.  What he was was a smart QB who could see the field, make quick reads and make quick throws with good accuracy, not unlike Peterman.  I think he was drafted by the Chargers, but never got a chance to start with them.  He was traded to the Saints, where he was given a chance to start and made the most of it.  His career path debunks the notion I saw from one poster that if a QB has a starter's ability the coach of the team that drafts him is going to recognize it and start him sooner rather than later.  Coaches don't like the uncertainty involved with making a change at QB and will often hold on to an ineffective starter because he is at least a known quantity.

2 minutes ago, Believer said:

The Saints pass rush was not pressuring Peterman... He had plenty of time to throw, unlike TT... 

I have to disagree. There were times when TT had a clean pocket and plenty of time and he missed the window of opportunity on an open receiver and had to check down or throw it away. There was a particular play I remember where he had Benjamin coming open on a cross route 10-15 yards down field, but he held it too long and then forced a check down throw to Shady for little to no gain.  I'm not saying Peterman would do any better, but there were times that TT did did not take advantage of time in the pocket.

They won't switch qb's on the road against Chargers or KC but I see Peterman at the helm for the Colts game at home.   Can't go into the offseason without seeing the kid prepare to start all week and then getting a shot on Sunday.   If he looks legit it would drastically change our draft strategy-- for the better.

Like others, I wish everyone would stop with the "garbage time" comments. Watch the video, look at his fundamentals. This was his first ever regular season NFL action. The kid looks the part. Is he ready to pick apart top-10 defenses? No way. Does he deserve to start? Not yet. But NP clearly looks like he has a sound foundation for future consideration.

Let him sit and learn as he currently is. Put him in when a game calls for it, to get him a little more game experience. Yes, in "garbage times."

Next year he'll have fair chance to compete.