Every Nate Peterman throw from the Saints game

HappyDays

Peterman was ranked as the 2nd overall rookie QB behind Patrick Mahones in preseason.

And my sources in the scouting world maintain he's a steal where we drafted him and I've already posted many scouting reports  and info on him that share similar thoughts.

Yes it's still way too early to get giddy but the bottom line we've spent 2 1/2 years on a former 6th round draft pick that was brought here by the previous regime. Time to give a 5th round guy a shot who is this regimes guy.

41 minutes ago, Steptide said:

He was a projected 3rd round pick. He fell to the 5th fortunately for us. Was the most nfl ready qb in the class according to experts. All you have to do is watch him play to know he's a better pocket Passer than Taylor. Is he the future? Who knows, but I'd take my chances the next 7 games. We also have 5 high draft picks in 2018. Zero risk and lots of reward 

My thoughts exactly.

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I watched a lot of tape, both the good (Clemson) and the bad (Miami). I think he has plenty of arm strength. It's not like he's Brad Kaaya. 

I agree.  The question is not whether Peterman is our franchise QB.  The question is does he give us a better shot at winning than TT.  The answer to that is yes.  

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Looked like some light pitch and catch against a prevent defense.  Yay?

Tyrod laid a real egg yesterday, something is wrong with him.  His second and third throws to Benjamin were so bad that I wondered if a finger on his throwing hand was jammed or broken.  I've never seen him look like that, he's generally an accurate QB.  It couldn't have come at a worse time for his career - another game or two like that and he might not get another chance as a starting QB in this league.

He's looked like that nearly every game of his career. These past two games have come down to him carrying the team, which a franchise QB has to do. He's not a franchise QB.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NXibjvq9LyE&feature=youtu.be&a=

I turned the game off at the end of the 3rd quarter so I hadn’t see Peterman’s passes. I came away from this video very impressed.

I know, I know. It’s garbage time, some of the Saints backups were on the field, they didn’t game plan for Peterman, etc. Say what you will, he makes good quick decisions and he is mostly accurate. His first drive would have kept going if Benjamin doesn’t drop the ball on 3rd down or if Dennison remembers you can pass the ball on 4th and short. His 2nd drive is an impressive looking TD drive where even the incompletion to Thompson shows promise (good pre-snap read and a quick throw that he just misses with Thompson getting mugged).

I think Tyrod goes to a different team next season that is willing to design an offense around his skill set. If this is the offense we are going to run, Peterman seems to fit it better. If the pass game looks bad against the Chargers I don’t see any reason he shouldn’t get a shot.

To the last point, if they lose to the chargers, the season officially becomes a rebuilding year. 

May as well play all the younger guys at that point, or at least the ones they intent to hang on to. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

We had 7 first downs in the game, maybe 6 from Tyrod.  That sucks.  Tyrod has all the skill in the world, but zero pocket presence.  Maybe he can't remember where the receivers are supposed to be.  If the Bills want to win more games, they better put Peterman in.  

5 but who's counting? ;)

56 minutes ago, Steptide said:

He was a projected 3rd round pick. He fell to the 5th fortunately for us. Was the most nfl ready qb in the class according to experts. All you have to do is watch him play to know he's a better pocket Passer than Taylor. Is he the future? Who knows, but I'd take my chances the next 7 games. We also have 5 high draft picks in 2018. Zero risk and lots of reward 

I agree this season is starting to do the toilet bowl swirl.

Nothing to lose everything to gain.

2 hours ago, teef said:

not terrible.  he looked the part, but as you mentioned, it's tough to really evaluate a qb in that scenario.

It's not hard to evaluate at all, one qb knows how to throw a ball and the other one has been a piece of garbage for 3 years. Season is over if they lose to LA so if Bills are losing by 2 scores at halftime, Tyrod should NEVER see the field again.

• Like (+1) 1

I already see the future. Peterman will start 3 games, where he will have 200 yards and led us to about 17 points/ game.  Then in a year where we have 2 1st rounders, which all offseason was thought to be a great QB draft so we could pass on Watson, we will talk ourselves into NP as a franchise guy.  We will draft Sammy and Marcell’s Replacements and maybe pick a qb in the 6th round.

then, NP will be revealed to be Trent Edwards part 2 and we wasted 3 years again while guys like Watson, Mahomes, Rosen, & Darnold turn into good starting nfl qbs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think Tyrod gets the first half of the SD game.  There's no excuses there.  Full arsenal of weapons.  

If it's a tire fire yet again, I think there's a chance he's benched and Peterman gets a half to show what he can do.  

Buffalo has to be desperate to make the playoffs and willing to make bold moves to do it.   It's going to crush the McDermott/Beane era starting off with so much promise and falling flat on your face in Year One.  

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Just adding some fuel to the fire. Don't tell me Peterman can be worse than Tyrod. I see alot of runs here 

It’s also college.

i believe this offense fits NP better but some of you are completely underestimating the level of NFL competition he has faced so far.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Even though the Saints had some back ups in the game, I liked Petermans placement. On the drop by Benjamin, that ball was perfectly placed over a defender to where only Benjamin can get it and it hit him in the hands. Peterman isnt afraid of squeezing it in there. The TD pass to Oleary, he wasnt wide open but open enough that Peterman put it in his belly. I dont see those balls from Taylor. Even when Taylor was scrambling, I can see open blue jerseys on TV. It seems that once Taylor has pressure, he always sees pressure. He stood in the pocket and took some hits while trying to throw the ball so I will give him that. I am so sick of see the pass to McCoy in the flat by the sideline and seeing Tayor throw it short of the sticks to the check down in the middle on 3rd down. I would rather see Taylor try to let his receivers make plays because they are punting either way if the pass is incomplete. I think Taylor over throws receivers at times just to get rid of the ball. 

Anyone else notice how many different receivers he threw to in his short stint?  He hit a couple different wide receivers, hit his tight end a few times and utilized his running back but didn't drop it down to him too much.  This was the perfect performance for Peterman.  It could've only been better if he hit a bomb for a touchdown.  In the preseason, he displayed a nice chemistry with Zay Jones as well.  To me, the only part that makes this decision hard is Tyrod is the leader of this offense.  We might not think so but he is highly regarded in the locker room.  It's tough to displace someone who is a leader when we are still in the wild card hunt.  But I think we need to do it.  If he's better, he could lead us to the playoffs.  If he's not, we will suck the rest of the year and know that QB is top priority.  This coaching staff after 9 games knows what they have in Tyrod as QB.  It's time to see their draft pick, Peterman.  To me, he fits this sheme perfectly.  Not asked to do too much but can still throw the ball with accuracy and get it out quickly.  He also has the mobility to do a boot play or evade rushes with his feet.  Let's see if Peterman can throw to the wide receivers.  We all know Tyrod had a very difficult time with that.  Peterman in this short little opportunity, granted in garbage time, showed exactly what we saw in the preseason.  He's accurate and decisive.  I think giving him some playing time now will help his development as I believe he is ready for his opportunity.  Let's turn this high potential offense around

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s also college.

i believe this offense fits NP better but some of you are completely underestimating the level of NFL competition he has faced so far.  

Because Tyrod handles it so much better? He's been sacked 9 times in the last 2 games 

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

The anti-Tyrod. Flush him out of the pocket and he will fall apart. He doesn't have the arm strength to throw on the move and does not have the athleticism to make a play on the ground.

These highlights are no better than pre-season. They did not gameplan for #2, they did for #5. 

I’d take a QB who “falls apart” outside of the pocket over one who falls apart if he (TT) remains in the pocket. The majority of championship QB’s have been guys who fall apart when forced outside of the pocket. Very few greats had the opposite trait of falling apart in the pocket such as TT. 

To be clear,  I don’t expect Peterman to be our savior, but it’s becoming more evident that TT is done here. You never know what you have with a QB until he gets the chance to play. Peterman probably isn’t the answer, but we definitely know that TT isn’t. 

4 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think Tyrod gets the first half of the SD game.  There's no excuses there.  Full arsenal of weapons.  

If it's a tire fire yet again, I think there's a chance he's benched and Peterman gets a half to show what he can do.  

Buffalo has to be desperate to make the playoffs and willing to make bold moves to do it.   It's going to crush the McDermott/Beane era starting off with so much promise and falling flat on your face in Year One.  

I dont think it will crush their era. I think they have accomplished more already than most people thought they would at this point. I agree about the bold move to get to the playoffs. My fear is that Taylor beats the Chargers and then gets blasted by the Chiefs and Pats. Then Peterman comes in when the playoffs are mostly a distant hope. I dont know if Peterman will be able to win games but at least he isnt afraid to set and throw the ball. I think we have seen all we are going to get from Taylor. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me, I’m not a huge TT guy.  But he has 3 years of facing nfl defenses.  NP has played against 3rd stringers and guy not in the nfl.

And how do you expect to evaluate NP if you don't play him?  You think that sticking with TT, who has faced NFL defenses but isn't the answer at QB, is the answer?

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I already see the future. Peterman will start 3 games, where he will have 200 yards and led us to about 17 points/ game.  Then in a year where we have 2 1st rounders, which all offseason was thought to be a great QB draft so we could pass on Watson, we will talk ourselves into NP as a franchise guy.  We will draft Sammy and Marcell’s Replacements and maybe pick a qb in the 6th round.

then, NP will be revealed to be Trent Edwards part 2 and we wasted 3 years again while guys like Watson, Mahomes, Rosen, & Darnold turn into good starting nfl qbs.  

They will take a QB next year, most likely somewhere in the top 4 picks. All the reports I’ve seen from insiders on here are that the long term plan was to bring Tyrod back as the veteran mentor for the rookie, and Peterman to compete or be the long term backup. I don’t think there is anything Peterman could do at this point to change the plan.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

They will take a QB next year, most likely somewhere in the top 4 picks. All the reports I’ve seen from insiders on here are that the long term plan was to bring Tyrod back as the veteran mentor for the rookie, and Peterman to compete or be the long term backup. I don’t think there is anything Peterman could do at this point to change the plan.

EXACTLY. this is why you play Peterman now. The bills will draft a qb next year even if we go deep into the playoffs this year. You are losing nothing. Like I stated previously, low risk high reward. At the very least, you are giving Peterman quality reps to either be the potential starter next year or to be a sound backup 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

not a fan of this idea, waste picks to move up on a guy that has never played in the NFL.....I would rather they use the picks they have and build a TEAM......With a good Oline and Dline we could get buy like the Seahawks with a 3rd round QB.

2 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

not a fan of this idea, waste picks to move up on a guy that has never played in the NFL.....I would rather they use the picks they have and build a TEAM......With a good Oline and Dline we could get buy like the Seahawks with a 3rd round QB.

I do not want them to trade up. There are enough good QB prospects that one should be available at our original pick. Like you say we have too many other holes to fill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

EXACTLY. this is why you play Peterman now. The bills will draft a qb next year even if we go deep into the playoffs this year. You are losing nothing. Like I stated previously, low risk high reward. At the very least, you are giving Peterman quality reps to either be the potential starter next year or to be a sound backup 

Exactly wrong. They aren't experimenting with a rookie Quarterback based on mop up duty while they remain in playoff contention.  

Anyone else notice he took an endzone shot to Thompson and didn't heave it out of bounds.  He through a really nice ball that fell incomplete because the defender was all over Thompson.  How many times has Tyrod one: thrown it to into the endzone outside the twenty and two: made a catchable ball when throwing to the sideline.  He gave the guy a chance to catch the ball...sure it's an incompletion but that's a nice ball.

• Like (+1) 1

I do feel bad for Tyrod. He is a tremendous athlete and a stand up guy. But he's just not an NFL QB. He can and has been effective in the right offence,  with the right coordinator and the right playcalls and gameplan. But when it was announced that Dennison was going to run a WC offence, or variant thereof, I was shocked. I could not imagine a scheme less suited to Tyrod's skillset. And if I know that I have to believe that the Bills coaches know that (at least they should by now).

They have tried to make him execute from the pocket and there is a reason for that. The reason is that giving Tyrod the "right" scheme and plays may occasionally result in success but it will never result in success consistently, and most notably when it most matters. And that's because any good defensive front, like the Jets or the Saints or the Ravens or any team you are likely going to have to beat to reach the playoffs (and certainly to compete against in the playoffs) can take away what Tyrod does well and force him to do what he does not do well - work from the pocket, "be a QB". If Tyrod could do that he would probably be amongst the best and most versatile signal callers in the game - like Russell Wilson - but he can't and never has, not for a world of trying. Its really unfortunate, tragic even.

Surely the braintrust must now understand that Tyrod is out of options. So what do you do? The Bills are 5/4 and still in the playoff race. Every year a couple of mediocre teams, teams with major flaws, make the playoffs. Teams like the Bills. If you stick with Tyrod you pretty much know in advance that you will fail. So why would you go with him? You do it either because you are afraid to ruffle feathers (Tyrod is well liked) or because you are putting your own name on a rebuild and you really don't care what happens this year. Neither of those are good reasons. Organizationally they point to a lack of courage/leadership and to a cynical hypocrisy when they say that they are not tanking and that they have the will to win. 

What they should do of course, as any reasonable observer not psychologically committed to an agenda fully understands, is start the rook. What he does best is what you want your QB to do in this offence. It is entirely possible, perhaps even likely, that what he does best will simply not be good enuf for a host of reasons. At this point it really doesn't matter because he is your only hope. Not a great place to be but its where you're at regardless. And imo there is some basis for hoping. I really don't care that he is a fifth rounder. I don't care that he is far from being a phenomenal athlete. All that means nothing (or at least not very much)  to me. He's a good enuf athlete and has enuf arm strength to execute Dennison's offence. I think there is a possibility that he is smart, I mean the way good QBs are smart. And if he is really really smart I think he can be a good QB. Lets find out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I do not want them to trade up. There are enough good QB prospects that one should be available at our original pick. Like you say we have too many other holes to fill.

I think you nailed it on the head.  Pick the QB with our first pick and fill in holes after that.  If they grab a QB, I'd expect the oline to be addressed twice early.  

2 hours ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

Garbage time? Yes. But the dude hit Benjamin without any problems and probably has thrown absolutely zero times to him in practice this past week. You know TT took every chance to build a chemistry with this guy and did nothing with it. Peterman comes in and hits him with ease, while barely warming up. I just can't get passed it. 3 targets the first drive, then nothing? We've seen the same thing with Watkins / Woods the last few years as well. TT just can't stay in a rhythm with his receivers, or loses trust in his ability to throw it to them. It's almost like he thinks he'll get picked off if he throws it to them too often. Some kind of psychological barrier is preventing him from making those plays. Love the guy, but damn dude just get out of your head and throw them the ball.  

THIS...I keep telling my son inlaw....I think Taylor is afraid to get intercepted...Throw the freakin thing and let your receiver make a play....absurd Tyrod is still our starter.

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I do feel bad for Tyrod. He is a tremendous athlete and a stand up guy. But he's just not an NFL QB. He can and has been effective in the right offence,  with the right coordinator and the right playcalls and gameplan. But when it was announced that Dennison was going to run a WC offence, or variant thereof, I was shocked. I could not imagine a scheme less suited to Tyrod's skillset. And if I know that I have to believe that the Bills coaches know that (at least they should by now).

They have tried to make him execute from the pocket and there is a reason for that. The reason is that giving Tyrod the "right" scheme and plays may occasionally result in success but it will never result in success consistently, and most notably when it most matters. And that's because any good defensive front, like the Jets or the Saints or the Ravens or any team you are likely going to have to beat to reach the playoffs (and certainly to compete against in the playoffs) can take away what Tyrod does well and force him to do what he does not do well - work from the pocket, "be a QB". If Tyrod could do that he would probably be amongst the best and most versatile signal callers in the game - like Russell Wilson - but he can't and never has, not for a world of trying. Its really unfortunate, tragic even.

Surely the braintrust must now understand that Tyrod is out of options. So what do you do? The Bills are 5/4 and still in the playoff race. Every year a couple of mediocre teams, teams with major flaws, make the playoffs. Teams like the Bills. If you stick with Tyrod you pretty much know in advance that you will fail. So why would you go with him? You do it either because you are afraid to ruffle feathers (Tyrod is well liked) or because you are putting your own name on a rebuild and you really don't care what happens this year. Neither of those are good reasons. Organizationally they point to a lack of courage/leadership and to a cynical hypocrisy when they say that they are not tanking and that they have the will to win. 

What they should do of course, as any reasonable observer not psychologically committed to an agenda fully understands, is start the rook. What he does best is what you want your QB to do in this offence. It is entirely possible, perhaps even likely, that what he does best will simply not be good enuf for a host of reasons. At this point it really doesn't matter because he is your only hope. Not a great place to be but its where you're at regardless. And imo there is some basis for hoping. I really don't care that he is a fifth rounder. I don't care that he is far from being a phenomenal athlete. All that means nothing (or at least not very much)  to me. He's a good enuf athlete and has enuf arm strength to execute Dennison's offence. I think there is a possibility that he is smart, I mean the way good QBs are smart. And if he is really really smart I think he can be a good QB. Lets find out.

That was an intelligent nice refreshing read.  Thank you

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Exactly wrong. They aren't experimenting with a rookie Quarterback based on mop up duty while they remain in playoff contention.  

Serious question. What about Taylor makes you think he can save this season? What have you seen the last 3 seasons that makes you think he's all of a sudden gonna change. Have we not done this enough in the last 10ish years? Stuck with a guy who isn't it? Jp losman, trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick. At least Doug Marrone had the scones to bench Ej manuel