Every Nate Peterman throw from the Saints game

HappyDays

The O is designed for quick, decisive throws in tight windows. Which guy can make those throws? I wanted to believe Tyrod can compensate for that flaw by showing real leadership, running ability, etc...but bottom line, we just need a guy who makes NFL throws, even if he's limited to within 20 yards. At least Nate MAKES the dang throws.

I think another factor people seem to be missing here is that if you are truly building for the future, Peterman has to play the rest of these games.

If he plays excellent and you come close to making the playoffs or even make the playoffs with him, then excellent, he's the guy. If he plays pretty good but the offense still falters or is just average and you aren't quite sold on him, you either have your competition for the new guy OR he becomes valuable in a trade scenario. Teams like New England and Green Bay seem to able to do this with great effect. Easier to do with a franchise guy ahead of whoever you're trading but still not impossible. If he plays below average or poorly then you either keep him as a backup or move on entirely.

The reason these scenarios are important is they all COMPLETELY change what we do in the offseason. If he comes in, looks as good as he did yesterday pretty consistently and we win 5 more games, suddenly you can start looking at blue chip lineman to really rebuild the worst part of this team, the offensive and defensive line.

If he's just average and we win a couple games but maybe you like some things you see, now you start getting into the mix for a QB in the draft or in free agency.

If he's bad, we sell the farm and pick a QB as high as you can.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Anyone else notice he took an endzone shot to Thompson and didn't heave it out of bounds.  He through a really nice ball that fell incomplete because the defender was all over Thompson.  How many times has Tyrod one: thrown it to into the endzone outside the twenty and two: made a catchable ball when throwing to the sideline.  He gave the guy a chance to catch the ball...sure it's an incompletion but that's a nice ball.

Thompson clearly was getting mugged/interfered and no call.  The other was a drop by KB, which was disappointing to see.  The only other incompletion was the one intended for O'Leary (I believe) and I'm not sure if it was a matter of NP thinking O'Leary was going to continue going across the field.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Fan talk.  Not  happening. 

WTF does Fan talk even mean? a FAN IS TALKING? is that not what a message board is? to TALK about the team and what it should or should not do?

Do YOU think YOU have any pull and only the things YOU say matter?  I know it wont happen, but is should.  If he fails then he fails big deal, spinning you wheels in the mud wont get you anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

Very small sample size, but I think it's enough to give him a shot when you consider how bad Tyrod has been at throwing the football. I don't necessarily expect the outcome to be any better with Peterman over the course of a whole game, but I think we have seen enough to know that it's definitely not getting any better with Taylor. 

On the negative side, Peterman's throws seem to lack "zip" - I think he has a Fitzpatrick arm, maybe a tiny bit stronger. But the important thing is that he's willing and able to throw to WRs downfield, and quickly. 

Just now, ProcessTheTrust said:

The O is designed for quick, decisive throws in tight windows. Which guy can make those throws? I wanted to believe Tyrod can compensate for that flaw by showing real leadership, running ability, etc...but bottom line, we just need a guy who makes NFL throws, even if he's limited to within 20 yards. At least Nate MAKES the dang throws.

Chad Pennington...I'll take accuracy any day over a guy who can heave it but isn't accurate enough.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, skibum said:

Very small sample size, but I think it's enough to give him a shot when you consider how bad Tyrod has been at throwing the football. I don't necessarily expect the outcome to be any better with Peterman over the course of a whole game, but I think we have seen enough to know that it's definitely not getting any better with Taylor. 

On the negative side, Peterman's throws seem to lack "zip" - I think he has a Fitzpatrick arm, maybe a tiny bit stronger. But the important thing is that he's willing and able to throw to WRs downfield, and quickly. 

This is 100% the opposite of what I and others see.

His reads are fast, throws decisive, ball has plenty of ZIP and the ball leads the receiver.

Edited by Real McCoy

1 minute ago, skibum said:

This is completely unfounded. And you don't throw the ball as hard as you can every play. He's infinitely more accurate than Tyrod and throws with anticipation. Physical attributes do not make a QB. Position is way more cerebral.

Just now, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Alex Smith.....

Exactly.  There's a ton of players like him.  Just needs to get some players in the locker room behind him and get this bandwagon going.  Otherwise, it's Tyrod until we are mathematically eliminated.  The coach doesn't want to lose the locker room over benching a highly regarded player in the midst of us being in the wild card hunt

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

WTF does Fan talk even mean? a FAN IS TALKING? is that not what a message board is? to TALK about the team and what it should or should not do?

Do YOU think YOU have any pull and only the things YOU say matter?  I know it wont happen, but is should.  If he fails then he fails big deal, spinning you wheels in the mud wont get you anywhere.

No it shouldn't at all.

4 minutes ago, skibum said:

His first pass was a 10-yard out to Thompson, going against their starting CB (Crawley), which is what NFL people use to judge a QB's throwing ability.  Made that throw just fine. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Fan talk.  Not  happening. 

They either do it now or not until Week 14 vs. Colts when the Bills are 5-7 with only a glimmer of playoff hope.

You don't want to give a rookie his first career start at Chiefs or vs. Brady-Belichick.

2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

This is 100% the opposite of what I and others see.

His reads are fast, throws decisive, ball has plenty of ZIP and the ball leads the receiver.

He seems to pass the 10-25 yard ball really well and on target.  Haven't seen him throw the ball down field a lot but that's already a step up

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Exactly.  There's a ton of players like him.  Just needs to get some players in the locker room behind him and get this bandwagon going.  Otherwise, it's Tyrod until we are mathematically eliminated.  The coach doesn't want to lose the locker room over benching a highly regarded player in the midst of us being in the wild card hunt

That's a great point. McD puts a ton of value on the fact the team voted TT a captain. He considers him a "leader". Ugh...

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

They either do it now or not until Week 14 vs. Colts when the Bills are 5-7 with only a glimmer of playoff hope.

You don't want to give a rookie his first career start at Chiefs or vs. Brady-Belichick.

They're not doing it now and shouldn't.  Reassess week by week. 

Garbage time in a 40-3 and 47-3 game is probably similar to 3rd quarter pre-season and less useful than good practice as an environment, but three things will show up and should be evaluated in any of those three situations:

1) Reading coverages and decision making

2) Delivering the ball on time

3) Delivering the ball accurately

Nothing in the pre-season or in yesterday's game shows any important flaws in any of those three things for Peterman, which is a positive, whether he rips the ball from Tyrod right away, is a future starter at another point dictated by injury or circumstance, or whether he is a competent career backup.

I don't think anything has been shown that would make you want to start Peterman over the next three tough weeks, but I would happy to see him get some snaps if any of those games are out of reach and Tyrod isn't playing well.  But if you wake up on December 4th and things aren't where you thought they should be, options should be weighed on who starts against the Colts.  Losing to the Saints isn't a disaster even in a 10-6 playoff season, but how we lost to the Jets and HOW we lost to the Saints is a pretty good indication that we aren't as far ahead of schedule as it felt at 5-2, and every decision has to be made thoughtfully in both the short and long term interests of the club. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don’t personally buy the garbage time excuse either. As others have said our regular offense didn’t look good in garbage time. The Saints backups didn’t intentionally lay over and die, they are fighting for future jobs too so they take every play seriously. They weren’t leaving receivers wide open, Peterman was simply finding the windows and throwing into them. He’s been doing this consistently since the last month of training camp.

Does this prove Peterman could pick apart the Seahawks secondary in its prime, no, but it does prove he belongs on the field and deserves a chance to start at some point. Only way to find out what he can really do is to start him.

Hey quick question:

Is TT still better than Carson Wentz?

45 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Just adding some fuel to the fire. Don't tell me Peterman can be worse than Tyrod. I see alot of runs here 

you know what they say about fanatics 

I don't follow college but I can tell you if you hate the school you will never root for their players.  Its worse than players in the NFL.  

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me, I’m not a huge TT guy.  But he has 3 years of facing nfl defenses.  NP has played against 3rd stringers and guy not in the nfl.

and

he's proved time and again that he CAN NOT read defenses properly

he's proved time and again that he won't throw a guy open

he's proved time and again that he hesitates too long. 

Enough already. Stop reading the stat lines and excusing that pile of  dog poop as a one off. 

3 hours ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

Garbage time? Yes. But the dude hit Benjamin without any problems and probably has thrown absolutely zero times to him in practice this past week. You know TT took every chance to build a chemistry with this guy and did nothing with it. Peterman comes in and hits him with ease, while barely warming up. I just can't get passed it. 3 targets the first drive, then nothing? We've seen the same thing with Watkins / Woods the last few years as well. TT just can't stay in a rhythm with his receivers, or loses trust in his ability to throw it to them. It's almost like he thinks he'll get picked off if he throws it to them too often. Some kind of psychological barrier is preventing him from making those plays. Love the guy, but damn dude just get out of your head and throw them the ball.  

Come on....Saints weren't really covering anyone

4 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

It's gotten to the point where I would never wish an injury on the guy, but when TT got hurt on that personal foul, I was hoping he would step out and watch Peterman bring life to a dead O when it was still in reach. Oh well....soon enough...

It's inevitable...just how long do we have to wait.  It'll happen.  Tyrod's days are limited

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Thanks for posting, HappyDays.  For the first time this season, I walked away from the TV before the game was over.  

Given it was garbage time, I don't think this is definite proof that Peterman is the guy.  But he did look decisive, promising.  

Yup,

Taylor has been under evaluation going on 3 seasons and appears to be unable to take his game to the next level in my humble opinion.

Peterman needs to be evaluated now IMO...

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

26 CopyPaste thinks he knows everything.   Good luck 

After seeing what Woods has been able to do with Goff and Watkins to a lesser extent. I am starting to believe that wr's were not the problem to begin with, having a QB capable of getting a ball to the playmakers is. Why not let the rookie show his stuff Tyrod has had plenty of time to show what he has and even in our wins this year hardly any of it would I say is because Tyrod played so well. He's a glorified game manager that has shown his vision is flawed and he doesn't trust his eyes.

The whole "Peterman isn't ready" thing makes no sense to me. Peterman won the #2 spot after the preseason, a back up role to a mobile QB who has missed games with injuries before. If he really wasn't ready, then we should question McD's judgment to allow him to be so close to being on the field at all times. The simple observation is that Peterman can and is willing to make throws Tyrod can't and won't even try to make. So painful....praying it's not too late before he gets in and we're not saying "SEE???? He should have went in a long time ago!!!"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Maybe so but at least he made accurate passes.  His throw from the 21 to Thompson in the endzone was a really nice ball but Thompson was getting mugged.  He didn't make the ball uncatchable like so many of Tyrod's throws to the sideline.  Plus Peterman took an endzone shot...Tyrod doesn't do that a lot.  The kid seems accurate.  His preseason was accurate and players were playing for their lives then.  He showed a nice chemistry with Peterman in a few games in the preseason.  I am running out of things to say about Tyrod that are positive.  If he throws up another dud...Peterman will be warming up.

3 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

After seeing what Woods has been able to do with Goff and Watkins to a lesser extent. I am starting to believe that wr's were not the problem to begin with, having a QB capable of getting a ball to the playmakers is. Why not let the rookie show his stuff Tyrod has had plenty of time to show what he has and even in our wins this year hardly any of it would I say is because Tyrod played so well. He's a glorified game manager that has shown his vision is flawed and he doesn't trust his eyes.

DING DING DING 

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

Dude, you could be right, but I can see why you don't want to jump the gun on this one. To meet in the middle, you have to admit that it was kind of nice to watch a guy throw the ball on time, accurately, from the pocket. If we fall below .500 we'll see a QB change, mark my words...