Every Nate Peterman throw from the Saints game

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Looking back at the start of Drew Brees' career, he did not come in and set the league on fire right away.  He had similar credentials to Peterman.  His college was not a big time producer of NFL QBs (Illinois - I think).  He's undersized and was not regarded as having a canon for an arm.  What he was was a smart QB who could see the field, make quick reads and make quick throws with good accuracy, not unlike Peterman.  I think he was drafted by the Chargers, but never got a chance to start with them.  He was traded to the Saints, where he was given a chance to start and made the most of it.  His career path debunks the notion I saw from one poster that if a QB has a starter's ability the coach of the team that drafts him is going to recognize it and start him sooner rather than later.  Coaches don't like the uncertainty involved with making a change at QB and will often hold on to an ineffective starter because he is at least a known quantity.

Purdue.

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Looking back at the start of Drew Brees' career, he did not come in and set the league on fire right away.  He had similar credentials to Peterman.  His college was not a big time producer of NFL QBs (Illinois - I think).  He's undersized and was not regarded as having a canon for an arm.  What he was was a smart QB who could see the field, make quick reads and make quick throws with good accuracy, not unlike Peterman.  I think he was drafted by the Chargers, but never got a chance to start with them.  He was traded to the Saints, where he was given a chance to start and made the most of it.  His career path debunks the notion I saw from one poster that if a QB has a starter's ability the coach of the team that drafts him is going to recognize it and start him sooner rather than later.  Coaches don't like the uncertainty involved with making a change at QB and will often hold on to an ineffective starter because he is at least a known quantity.

Purdue was where he went to school.  He had 4 or 5 seasons in San Diego that were pretty good.  I think it was the shoulder that scared teams.

The anti-Tyrod. Flush him out of the pocket and he will fall apart. He doesn't have the arm strength to throw on the move and does not have the athleticism to make a play on the ground.

These highlights are no better than pre-season. They did not gameplan for #2, they did for #5. 

Just now, Elite Poster said:

The anti-Tyrod. Flush him out of the pocket and he will fall apart. He doesn't have the arm strength to throw on the move and does not have the athleticism to make a play on the ground.

These highlights are no better than pre-season. They did not gameplan for #2, they did for #5. 

His arm looked plenty adequate to me....

4 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

Purdue was where he went to school.  He had 4 or 5 seasons in San Diego that were pretty good.  I think it was the shoulder that scared teams.

He was also signed as a FA as San Diego went with Rivers over Brees, plus Brees had the surgery on his shoulder and people were unsure how he would respond to it. I remember that year he and Daunte Culpepper were the big FA Qb's, we got lucky that Miami signed Culpepper and not Brees

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

Another guy who has watched him throw the ball all of 15 times. Watch what he did in college. Also, did any of these throws have any zip? They were all touch passes. 

I watched a lot of tape, both the good (Clemson) and the bad (Miami). I think he has plenty of arm strength. It's not like he's Brad Kaaya. 

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

I watched a lot of tape, both the good (Clemson) and the bad (Miami). I think he has plenty of arm strength. It's not like he's Brad Kaaya. 

He really doesn't. I am not saying he can't make good throws or that he will be a bust and never have success in this league. He doesn't have great velocity on these throws. He consistently has balls that fly all over the place (happened throughout preseason too) because he's putting everything he can on these intermediate distance plays. 

All I am saying is this thread is pretty stupid. You can't compare garbage time for a QB that was not gameplanned for to the team's starter. He made a couple decent throws. Whatever. I want to see what he looks like when other teams know what his weaknesses are and go after that. 

22 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

All it proves is that Bills fans are desperate for anything, and get excited over something that proves nothing. It means he is just like almost every other backup QB that has come in and thrown a few good passes to get a garbage time TD.  How did his second drive go?

His 2nd drive was the one where he scored his TD, or did I miss something? I’ve watched plenty of backup QBs come into a game and fall flat on their faces. No one is saying it proves anything but it sure was promising. I loved the pick when we made it and I feel even better about it now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

His 2nd drive was the one where he scored his TD, or did I miss something? I’ve watched plenty of backup QBs come into a game and fall flat on their faces. No one is saying it proves anything but it sure was promising. I loved the pick when we made it and I feel even better about it now.

Wait a minute. You saw promise in Peterman but up until week 6 or so of this season you were being critical of Carson Wentz?

Gruden loves Peterman and I think it's safe to say that Gruden knows more about QBs than any of the armchair coaches here.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Nate-Peterman-gets-the-nod-as-Jon-Grudens-Top-QB-in-NFL-Draft-52378356

I don't know if he will be a long-term starter or not, but it's stupid to write him off.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NXibjvq9LyE&feature=youtu.be&a=

I turned the game off at the end of the 3rd quarter so I hadn’t see Peterman’s passes. I came away from this video very impressed.

I know, I know. It’s garbage time, some of the Saints backups were on the field, they didn’t game plan for Peterman, etc. Say what you will, he makes good quick decisions and he is mostly accurate. His first drive would have kept going if Benjamin doesn’t drop the ball on 3rd down or if Dennison remembers you can pass the ball on 4th and short. His 2nd drive is an impressive looking TD drive where even the incompletion to Thompson shows promise (good pre-snap read and a quick throw that he just misses with Thompson getting mugged).

I think Tyrod goes to a different team next season that is willing to design an offense around his skill set. If this is the offense we are going to run, Peterman seems to fit it better. If the pass game looks bad against the Chargers I don’t see any reason he shouldn’t get a shot.

Remember when you thought I was crazy this spring. Ain't I a genius? People thought bad of Cardale for this.

38 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

All it proves is that Bills fans are desperate for anything, and get excited over something that proves nothing. It means he is just like almost every other backup QB that has come in and thrown a few good passes to get a garbage time TD.  How did his second drive go?

Mechanics

6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Expecting a rookie 5th round prospect, with a 50% completion rate to take the reins, is courting a deepening of the current tragedy that is this team.

Taylor was a 6th round selection that had less than 50% completion rate yesterday.  

33.6 and 29.7 in QB ratings!!!  

blob.png.c83e61d62c28e78e9e71c57a0ad3c229.png

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Peterman looks like he did in pre season. Very good. Makes the throws that Tyrod doesnt/can't. Amazing how much better the o-line looks when the ball comes out quickly. 

Here's what's important, if they had left Tyrod in the game, would he have done what Peterman did? My answer is no. Yes he played well against the jets late in the game, but tyrods biggest consistency is his inconsistencies. Make the switch 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Peterman looks like he did in pre season. Very good. Makes the throws that Tyrod doesnt/can't. Amazing how much better the o-line looks when the ball comes out quickly. 

Here's what's important, if they had left Tyrod in the game, would he have done what Peterman did? My answer is no. Yes he played well against the jets late in the game, but tyrods biggest consistency is his inconsistencies. Make the switch 

Funny, Tentative Taylor looked like he did in  pre season yesterday too. 

4 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Expecting a rookie 5th round prospect, with a 50% completion rate to take the reins, is courting a deepening of the current tragedy that is this team.

He was a projected 3rd round pick. He fell to the 5th fortunately for us. Was the most nfl ready qb in the class according to experts. All you have to do is watch him play to know he's a better pocket Passer than Taylor. Is he the future? Who knows, but I'd take my chances the next 7 games. We also have 5 high draft picks in 2018. Zero risk and lots of reward 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Anyone saying Peterman doesn't have enough arm strength is lying.

His ball velocity at the combine was 53 MPH. In comparison, Deshaun Watson's was 49 MPH (which is really bad).

Edited by suorangefan4

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No, he got the td on his first drive, the second one they did nothing. And all of his fans here are saying it proves he deserves to start cause he scored a garbage time TD and made some throws

18 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Here is some info:

13 316 477 66.2 3,793   29 5

13 185 306 60.5 2,855 27 7

One of the above lines is Dak Prescott's, the other is Nate Peterman's from their final years' in college....do you know which is which? 

Btw, Nate's completion percentage in his junior year...61.7%, so not sure where the 50% completion rate is coming from, unless you mean pre-season.

13 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

We had 7 first downs in the game, maybe 6 from Tyrod.  That sucks.  Tyrod has all the skill in the world, but zero pocket presence.  Maybe he can't remember where the receivers are supposed to be.  If the Bills want to win more games, they better put Peterman in.  

what skills do you mean?

running for his life?   yup

throwing into a receiver?  nope

accurate passing?  LOL

16 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Peterman made several throws that I don’t think Tyrod would have made, JMO. There are plays that Tyrod can make that Peterman never could but this offense clearly fits Peterman’s skill set more than it fits Tyrod’s. I can’t imagine Tyrod would even want to play another season in this offense, it will probably be best for both sides if he goes elsewhere next season.

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

No, he got the td on his first drive, the second one they did nothing. And all of his fans here are saying it proves he deserves to start cause he scored a garbage time TD and made some throws

No, you're wrong. Sorry. Check the full game box score. Nate scored on his second and final possession.

Peterman is a beast. People seem to be unaware that he was playing well for a Pitt team that is typically devoid of any real talent in college. He did not have anyone even close to the talent of a Kelvin Benjamin or hell, even an Andre Holmes. And people that bring up his arm strength crack me up, he's obviously got a bit more spin than Tyrod considering he whipped one right through Benjamin's hands.

I'd play him just on ball placement alone. He is ridiculously more accurate than Tyrod. The ball comes out either at the top of his drop or at the break of a route. It's placed where it should be given the route and situation. He was throwing with anticipation. It's a no brainer to give the kid a shot. Tyrod has been in the league 7 years. He is what he is. A running back being asked to throw the football.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Believer said:

The Saints pass rush was not pressuring Peterman... He had plenty of time to throw, unlike TT... 

Peterman reacts differently to pressure.

TT hates to move laterally while keeping his eyes down field. He turns his back and does a counter clockwise turn to the right and then has to reaquire the view downfield. He already can’t see downfield well so this doesn’t work sometimes. Open receivers getting missed or the ball being thrown late, too close to the line or out.

Peterman gets it out or takes a sack. With some coaching/ reps it is not hard to imagine him cutting down on the sacks with the use of an outlet receiver/ back

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Peterman reacts differently to pressure.

TT hates to move laterally while keeping his eyes down field. He turns his back and does a counter clockwise turn to the right and then has to reaquire the view downfield. He already can’t see downfield well so this doesn’t work sometimes. Open receivers getting missed or the ball being thrown late, too close to the line or out.

Peterman gets it out or takes a sack. With some coaching/ reps it is not hard to imagine him cutting down on the sacks with the use of an outlet receiver/ back

I mean - were jordan, rankins, okafor, and lattimore playing on the final drive?

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

His second drive was the TD.

His first drive ended with a K. Benj drop for a first down followed by a low snap he handled and got a perfect pitch out to RB . Should have bootlegged left. People forget the kid can run, not TT Run , but he’s not a statue.

Looked like some light pitch and catch against a prevent defense.  Yay?

Tyrod laid a real egg yesterday, something is wrong with him.  His second and third throws to Benjamin were so bad that I wondered if a finger on his throwing hand was jammed or broken.  I've never seen him look like that, he's generally an accurate QB.  It couldn't have come at a worse time for his career - another game or two like that and he might not get another chance as a starting QB in this league.